PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for boxing hair

ewzz
June 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM
So I recently picked up boxing and I absolutely love it, except for this one thing: my hair's too long. I usually french braid it really tight so it won't get in my face, but my braid is so long it keeps swinging around, bothering me and eventually hitting me in the face.

I was hoping any of you know a way to tie my hair so tightly and secure that it won't come loose during practice. My hair is really thick and heavy, so a bun is no option (I tried that and it comes loose within a few minutes). Ideas, anyone?

MandyBeth
June 13th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I'm in MMA, and pretty much, there isn't much you can do other than a braid. If your hair is long enough, take the tail, tie it up so it's in half, then braid that.

Braidy
June 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I'd say make three braids and braid those once again. It's more work but it will shorten your hair and then hopefully this braid won't be long enough to reach your face ;)

Hiriel
June 13th, 2011, 12:32 PM
What kind of top do you wear? A t-shirt, or something very tightly fitting? If it's somewhat loose, would putting the braid inside it be an option? At least it wouldn't hit you in the face :)

Anje
June 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Loop the braid up to its base, so you have a loop and secure that. Maybe put a few more ties along the length to keep it all together and reduce stress at the ends. (Of course, you can fold a few more times if it's still too long...)

selderon
June 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'm unclear how long your hair is and what you wear (including any protective gear) for boxing.

When I did Tae Kwon Do four days a week, I had BSL+ straight/M/C/iii hair (read slippery, heavy and abundant). On days I didn't have to spar, I wore a damp-wrapped cinnabun with a hair stick or two. On days I did have to spar, I wore a braid or ponytail and routed the ends through various holes in the helmet so the end wouldn't hit me in the face.

It sounds like your hair may be longer than mine was then. I'd suggest a braided ponytail (with covered hair elastics at both ends) and finish one of the following ways:
1) Clubbed similar to this (http://www.nwta.com/couriers/6-96/junegifs/hair1.gif)
2) Folded with Ficcare (http://frannyslonghair.blogspot.com/2010/08/hairstyle-how-to-folded-braid.html) or spin pinned (three cheers for spin pins!)
3) Bunned (again with the spin pins)
4) Hair gloved (neoprene may be softest) (https://hairglove.com/catalog/8) -- the 12 or 20 inch ones may keep your hair from whapping you in the eyes.

If you're up for it, a number of LHC members have recommended hair taping as a solution for athletes with very long hair who need to keep it out of the way and want to avoid using hard surfaced hair toys. Torrinpaige on YouTube has a tutorial about hair taping.

Blandine
June 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Our local boxing champion (yes, I'm from the same city as Regina Halmich) wears her ~ APL hair braided in cornrows for her fights. That seems to work even in world championship fights.

MandyBeth
June 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
The hair gloves have metal that will hurt you or your partner. I am used to ground work, so there are way more things that are not allowed.

ravensinger13
June 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I would suggest Dutch braids, two or more. I think that they hold a lot better, and if you are still having trouble with the length, try ending the dutch braid halfway down, so it's kind of like a pony tail height and securing that in a bun. (hope that made sense!)

Hiriel
June 13th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Our local boxing champion (yes, I'm from the same city as Regina Halmich) wears her ~ APL hair braided in cornrows for her fights. That seems to work even in world championship fights.

So does ours, Cecilia Brækhus. But braiding cornrows just for boxing, if you don't won't to keep your hair like that all the time, will be time-consuming!

Bluebell
June 24th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Maybe frenchbraid it, fold the hanging braid up an secure to your head with little clawclips.

If your braid is too heavy make 2 frenchbraids on the sides and secure the hanging braids up or on the back? That's my 'heavy wind on northern islands' hairdo.