PDA

View Full Version : My granddaughter's hair

pittsburgpam
June 13th, 2011, 08:39 AM
My granddaughter is staying with me for a couple of days and last night I saw that she had knotted hair in her ponytail. I told her to get a couple of bottles out of the bathroom and the big comb and had her sit on the floor in front of the couch.

I spent quite awhile using the leave-in conditioner to get the matted hair combed out then I oiled her hair, gently massaged, then braided it. All the while I talked about how beautiful and THICK her hair is (it's much thicker than mine), how to treat it gently, use only a comb, braid it at night so it's not matted, using oil and conditioner (she has kind of coarse hair).

Her hair is light brown with blonde streaks, a small amount of wave, and BSL. She's 11 years old. Maybe I have a future LHCer. :cheese:

spidermom
June 13th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Aren't granddaughters wonderful? My granddaughter (age 9) often shows up here with knotted up hair, too, and I comb it out for her. She wants hair just like mine - bless her heart!

Tressie
June 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Congratulations! It sounds like your grand has lovely hair and you are helping her learn how to care for it. :flower: When my niece was small, she used to say she wanted "big" (long) hair. Hers was very thick, and still is, but she keeps it around shoulder to APL now. :blossom:

knoxkatie
June 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I wish someone had taught me the wise ways of LHC at such a young age!

I bet she will never forget your advice :)

Vespertine
June 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
What a lucky little girl! My daughter has thick, curly red hair and I'm the only one willing to take on combing it. I'm not sure why, since it's in fabulous condition since I treat it even more gently than my own, but my mom won't comb it.

You're a fantastic grandma!

pittsburgpam
June 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM
We watched some of Torrin Paige's videos on YouTube last night and then she started clicking on a bunch of other ones (she wants me to do braids on her). She asked why are there so many haircare videos? I said that it's a way for people to learn how to take care of their hair. I could see the realization that people actually TAKE CARE of their hair... :)

pittsburgpam
June 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Boy, do I know what it's like to have a daughter with curly hair!!! She gets it from her father... obviously not me!

I put a picture of her in my album.

TheMechaGinger
June 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
My niece has incredibly thick shiny dark brown hair with some waves in it, and it used to really long but she chopped it all off into an a-line bob shorter than chin! She loves it so I didn't say a word, but man was I crying on the inside. I would love to trade that little girl hair =]