PDA

View Full Version : Help, hair snapping :(

pixiestar
June 13th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I thought my hair was in pretty good condition. But today I've notice I have snapped hairs at the sides, it seems to be where there is some old blonde highlights. They are different lengths, they definitely were not there yesterday when I co washed:( What should I do? In need of advice, should I have a trim, maybe have some long layers:confused: I thought my hair was moisturised, its very soft. But have noticed this week that my last henna gloss, after each was leaves orange on my towel:confused: Its not done that before. So please help:(

pixiestar
June 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Nobody:(

Well I've done a s&d, and put small amount of sweet almond oil on. My hair has soaked up the sao, so hopefully this will help.

theodora
June 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Sorry I can't offer any help, I have pretty damaged hair on the sides as well (particularly the bits right above each ears) and I haven't found a remedy for this yet apart from hopefully growing out the damage.

Nev
June 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I have the same problem with my highlights, some of the hairs just seem to break off :(

BrightEyes7
June 13th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Your hair may be in need of protein.

Try doing your normal CO wash with a protein conditioner. VO5 Moisture Milks (I like the passion fruit) and Suave Naturals Coconut both have protein. If you are willing to put a heavier conditioner on the ends, Infusium 23 Repair & Renew conditioner has a good amount of protein.

But be careful not to overdo it with the protein. Alternate between the protein and moisturizing conditioners.

Anje
June 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I agree -- if you think you're well moisturized and your hair is starting to break, you might need protein. Especially if hair seems particularly stretchy or mushy when wet, though that's the point when its needs are getting critical.

Expect that protein treatments (not regular shower conditioners) will leave your hair feeling dry. That's pretty normal. You'll probably find you do best immediately following them up with a moisture treatment. I've heard good things about Aphogee 2-step and Joico K-PAK reconstructor for protein treatments, though anything termed "reconstructor" will probably give you a heavy dose of protein.

monsterna
June 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
At the same time, you might be getting TOO much protein! (I know, confusing....) But, I have been weeding out protein and my hair is no longer as breaky and snappy as it was before. While you may be using things with moisturizing properties, there also might be a lot of protein in it as well.

If not, perhaps it's the other way around like the others said.

pixiestar
June 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Theodora and Nev seems like we have the same problem:(

BrightEyes7 and Anje, thanks for your replys and info. I will look into doing a protein treatment followed up with a moisturizing treatment.
My hair does'nt stretch, just breaks and soaks up water easily. Not sure what it wants:confused:

gthlvrmx
June 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
If you've been moisturizing with products without protein, it might be overload on moisture. Some protein may help. Maybe try a strand test?

summerjade
June 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Maybe it is just new hair coming in around your hairline? It could be that it isn't broken off hair. Is it only around your hairline above your ears? I have had lots of new little hair lately around my hair line.

Nev
June 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM
this sounds like great advice, I will try it out and thank you!
and good luck to pixestar and theodora, hope you both find something that works for you.

Anje
June 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Doesn't stretch at all? Scratch protein off the list then, that sounds more like you have too much!

Check the ingredients lists of your products. Look for anything that says protein or amino acids. Also look for keratin and collagen, common proteins you'd have to know by name. You might want to avoid those for a while.

Madora
June 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM
@Pixiestar...

Hmm. How you shampoo and rinse your hair is a big factor is keeping your hair from breaking. (The shampoo and conditioner you use are factors also).

How do you shampoo/rinse?

For best results (based on 40 years of experience) I always detangle first, then dilute my shampoo with warm water and then pour a bit of shampoo into my hands and gently massage into the scalp.

No rubbing or twisting of the strands. No piling the hair on the head and "scrubbing".

Rinse well with cold water, then repeat.

Dilute your conditioner and massage in with your fingerpads.

While the hair is loaded with conditioner, I use my wide tooth comb and s l o w l y detangle my hair by bending at the waist, with all hair in front of me, then working up the strands, starting at the bottom, little by little, until I reach the scalp.

Rinse with water as cold as you can stand.

Do NOT fling the hair or toss it back! Instead, take a long towel, hold it vertically, and wrap it around your hair. Take the towel wrapped hair and wind it around your head like a turban and pin in place.

Let the hair soak in the towel for 10 minutes, then unpin.

Take your wide tooth comb again, part your hair from forehead to nape, then gently beginning the detangling process again as described above. Go slowly. Only use your COMB!

Once your hair has been detangled, you can finish drying it with a towel, or keep it down to airdry.

How your handle your hair when shampooing/conditioning/rinsing will greatly benefit your long hair goal. Be gentle, go slowly, have patience..and you'll reap the rewards with a beautiful head of hair! Good luck!

clairenewcastle
June 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I used to have a lot of problems with my hair breaking off but that was when I had it dyed.
Cutting virtually all of the dye out of my hair and giving up using conditioner in favour of catnip rinses has stopped my hair breaking or spliting.

Sundial
June 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Doesn't stretch at all? Scratch protein off the list then, that sounds more like you have too much!

Check the ingredients lists of your products. Look for anything that says protein or amino acids. Also look for keratin and collagen, common proteins you'd have to know by name. You might want to avoid those for a while.

This ^ I was using a new conditioner for a period of time and started finding broken bits of hair on my pillow each morning. That has never happened before! When I checked the ingredient list, I noticed that protein is high on the list and there was more than 1 source of protein. I stopped using the conditioner immediately and I stopped finding broken bits of hair within a week

Scarlet_Heart
June 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I don't have any advice, but as a fan of your hair, I hope you figure it out and find a remedy. :love:

lacefrost
June 13th, 2011, 10:04 PM
It's the henna. Henna itself is fine but if you get orange stains on your towel, then that means you still have henna in your hair. You may need to do a shampoo to get rid of the excess henna. Once all the henna is out, you should have hair that breaks least and is more moisturized. The reason I suggest this was because I once went through the very same thing!

gthlvrmx
June 13th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Ack, well the whole touch and it breaks sounds like protein build up but she said she thought it was moisturized and it felt soft so i figured maybe it wasn't since i know build up on protein feels very straw like and hard. Oops.
But i suggest you read the ingredients of every product you use on your hair. Hydrolyzed, wheat, soy, silk, amino, keratin, collagen are all protein.

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 12:43 AM

Thanks Anje:)
I usually use tresemme naturals jojoba and coconut, which I'm sure has no protein.
But recently been using boots essentials condioner for washing in my co, also can't see any protein listed, and also sunday my last co wash I used Fructis triple nutrition, I don't think this has protein either:confused:

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 12:44 AM
This ^ I was using a new conditioner for a period of time and started finding broken bits of hair on my pillow each morning. That has never happened before! When I checked the ingredient list, I noticed that protein is high on the list and there was more than 1 source of protein. I stopped using the conditioner immediately and I stopped finding broken bits of hair within a week

Hi Sundial:) I don't think the new conditioners have protein in:(

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I don't have any advice, but as a fan of your hair, I hope you figure it out and find a remedy. :love:

:blossom::D

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
It's the henna. Henna itself is fine but if you get orange stains on your towel, then that means you still have henna in your hair. You may need to do a shampoo to get rid of the excess henna. Once all the henna is out, you should have hair that breaks least and is more moisturized. The reason I suggest this was because I once went through the very same thing!

Lacefrost, maybe it is the henna:( I have done 5 glosses in about 2 months.
I have washed it out though:) But there must still be henna on there, because of the stayning:(

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Madora, I usually comb hair through with a wide tooth comb while conditioner on hair, maybe I'm not gentle enough:(

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I found this article on nc. I think my hair has high porosity, so maybe a protein treatment followed up with a moisturising treatment could help:confused:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=2

theodora
June 14th, 2011, 08:09 AM
We both use similar products Tresemme naturals and Garnier Triple Nutrition, and we both do henna glosses (have done 2 in the past 2 weeks).
I have to say that the problem with snappy hair on the sides started for me much before I joined LHC; and I think it was mostly due to bleach damage and mechanical damage from wearing my hair in ponytails and buns and securing them inappropriately (elastic bands with metal and pencils).

I definitely think my hair needs a protein treatment, as I was recently alternating egg treatment one week and SMT the next and my hair was doing much better; however last week when I was travelling I skipped my egg treatment. So we'll see if doing one helps.

It's a pain though because the damage for me is so high, it's depressing to think of how long it will take to grow out, and if I will even manage to grow it out, because I'd need to understand how to get it to stop getting damaged!

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM
We both use similar products Tresemme naturals and Garnier Triple Nutrition, and we both do henna glosses (have done 2 in the past 2 weeks).
I have to say that the problem with snappy hair on the sides started for me much before I joined LHC; and I think it was mostly due to bleach damage and mechanical damage from wearing my hair in ponytails and buns and securing them inappropriately (elastic bands with metal and pencils).

I definitely think my hair needs a protein treatment, as I was recently alternating egg treatment one week and SMT the next and my hair was doing much better; however last week when I was travelling I skipped my egg treatment. So we'll see if doing one helps.

It's a pain though because the damage for me is so high, it's depressing to think of how long it will take to grow out, and if I will even manage to grow it out, because I'd need to understand how to get it to stop getting damaged!

Even though I used to get half head bleached highlights, my hair was in really good condition. I've not had highlights now for 2 years, there is just a small amount left on side sections, approx bottom 2 inches of hair (you can see it in my first hair picture before I started glossing)
Maybe I need a protein treatment followed by a moisturising treatment:( I will be washing tomorrow. But I do not have time tomorrow, so may just leave conditioner on for longer see if this helps:)

Madora
June 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM
@pixiestar...

Combing your hair while its full of conditioner is fine. It's how you comb that makes all the diff!

Start at the ends of the hair, and taking a small section, and using a wide tooth comb, detangle an inch or so. Move the comb up another 3 inches and repeat, and so forth until you reach the scalp. Repeat until all hair has been detangled.

Detangling this way permits you greater control because you are going slower and are less likely to ram that comb thru a snarl and break hairs.

Snarls have always been my bete noir. For years I struggled with them and hated shampoo time. I finally devised a way to eliminate 90% of snarls by handling my hair a certain way. It has been a godsend!

My method might seem slow to some, but my hair reaps the benefits of shampooing and conditioning and rinsing carefully.

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 08:45 AM
@pixiestar...

Combing your hair while its full of conditioner is fine. It's how you comb that makes all the diff!

Start at the ends of the hair, and taking a small section, and using a wide tooth comb, detangle an inch or so. Move the comb up another 3 inches and repeat, and so forth until you reach the scalp. Repeat until all hair has been detangled.

Detangling this way permits you greater control because you are going slower and are less likely to ram that comb thru a snarl and break hairs.

Snarls have always been my bete noir. For years I struggled with them and hated shampoo time. I finally devised a way to eliminate 90% of snarls by handling my hair a certain way. It has been a godsend!

My method might seem slow to some, but my hair reaps the benefits of shampooing and conditioning and rinsing carefully.

Great advice:blossom: thank you

homeeduk8tor
June 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
@Pixiestar...

Hmm. How you shampoo and rinse your hair is a big factor is keeping your hair from breaking. (The shampoo and conditioner you use are factors also).

How do you shampoo/rinse?

For best results (based on 40 years of experience) I always detangle first, then dilute my shampoo with warm water and then pour a bit of shampoo into my hands and gently massage into the scalp.

No rubbing or twisting of the strands. No piling the hair on the head and "scrubbing".

Rinse well with cold water, then repeat.

Dilute your conditioner and massage in with your fingerpads.

While the hair is loaded with conditioner, I use my wide tooth comb and s l o w l y detangle my hair by bending at the waist, with all hair in front of me, then working up the strands, starting at the bottom, little by little, until I reach the scalp.

Rinse with water as cold as you can stand.

Do NOT fling the hair or toss it back! Instead, take a long towel, hold it vertically, and wrap it around your hair. Take the towel wrapped hair and wind it around your head like a turban and pin in place.

Let the hair soak in the towel for 10 minutes, then unpin.

Take your wide tooth comb again, part your hair from forehead to nape, then gently beginning the detangling process again as described above. Go slowly. Only use your COMB!

Once your hair has been detangled, you can finish drying it with a towel, or keep it down to airdry.

How your handle your hair when shampooing/conditioning/rinsing will greatly benefit your long hair goal. Be gentle, go slowly, have patience..and you'll reap the rewards with a beautiful head of hair! Good luck!

I did this method today and my hair looked absolutely fabulous when it was dry. Thanks for sharing you advice, Madora. This technique will definitely be what I use from now on.:D

pixiestar
June 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I did this method today and my hair looked absolutely fabulous when it was dry. Thanks for sharing you advice, Madora. This technique will definitely be what I use from now on.:D

Thanks for letting me know homeeduk8tor:D I will be doing this tomorrow:D

homeeduk8tor
June 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks for letting me know homeeduk8tor:D I will be doing this tomorrow:D

You are most welcome, Pixiestar! Please return and let us know how things go for you after you wash.:)

pixiestar
June 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Update, have now washed as per madora's instructions, and hair is dry:) I think its a bit better now:D Going to keep hair routine simple until its completely better:)

Tigermama
June 15th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I had this problem from hilights too. I think if it is going to break, it will eventually. Something that does help for me is the emergencee nexxus treatment, once per month only. It is super strong protein, so you will need serious moisture afterwards. It helped me hang on to some damaged hair until it regrew enough to cut off. You can even use it just on the damage, to protect the regular hair from the mega protein blast.