PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your little ones play with your hair?

whit3c00ki3
June 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
What I mean by little ones is like your niece, little sister, daughters, or just anyone that can cause potential damage without realizing it. I'm just wondering....I'm letting my niece brush my hair and now she has decided to do a hairstyle. Poor hair.

turtlelover
June 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Some of my fondest memories as a child were of playing w/ the hair of some special "longhair" inspirations who were kind enough to put up with it, so I am very patient w/ kids that want to play w/ my hair, and actually enjoy it if they are reasonably gentle. I do intervene if they start to hurt me, however. :p

Quezie
June 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, yesterday my niece was playing with mine, she wanted to see what she would look like with Ariel hair. :b

But if she wanted to do more with it, I would definitely ask her to be VERY gentle. I know her mom isn't very gentle on her hair, so it would be a little tricky.

whit3c00ki3
June 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM
hahaha ariel hair, that's cute. My niece was starting to put high pigtails on the sides of my head when I told her that I think her grandma wanted her hair to be played with =P. I looked down and i saw a palm's worth of strands of hair around me.

xoerincolleen
June 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
My little brother used to LOVE to brush my hair when he was like 3-4 years old. It was adorable!

Keepitgrowing29
June 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Oh nooo...I have a 7 month old who does not, yet, understand the concept of being gentle with mommy's hair. I am just seriously beginning my hair growth journey so I kinda need all the length I can hold on too. But, then I also think that allowing someone else too play in your hair, during your hair growth journey, could free you; allowing you to let go and let growth. :writer:

motormuffin
June 12th, 2011, 10:01 PM
My neighbor's daughter was learning to braid so I let her practice on me. She's careful enough. My daughter brushes it once in awhile...she likes to pet me. :)

Jeni
June 12th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I let my 8 year old cousin comb my hair and occasionally play with putting it up with a fork. She is pretty gentle but occasionally she does cause tangles which is fine. She is having fun and in the end its just hair to me, whats the point of it if you cant have fun?

CariadA
June 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
My nieces, 5 and 3, love to play "beauty shop" with my hair.

They rip through it with brushes and combs. I can hear hair snapping, which just makes me cringe. I have also gone out in public with the makeup they put on me. I had bright green eyeshadow on one eye and purple on another. They aren't great at coloring within the lines in general, so you can imagine what that looked like.

I have tried to show them how to gently comb through sections from the bottom up. They don't really care. Their mom isn't into hair or makeup, so they see me as a fun Barbie doll they can dress up and play with. When I visit, I let them choose what outfits and jewelry I will wear for the day. Then they both try to match me.

strangemeow
June 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM
My three year old son likes to brush my hair :). Hes pretty good about being gentle for the most part, he is also a little long hair boy, so i spend time playing with his too, its kind of a bonding thing i guess. he sees me putting oils and other hair goo in, now he started asking for some in his hair too. ill put a little bit on his hands and we do out hair care together hahaha, hes so funny.