PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me figure out my hair?

boudica
June 12th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Everyone -

Am trying to figure out what to do with my hair. I've been an LHC member for 6 months. Not sure why it's taking so long to ask, but I've been a little shy.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8056&pictureid=105164

So, here's my hair, in three stages of dryness, post clarification. The third picture was taken from a little bit further away, the length isn't that different from the second picture.

It's very fine. It's got curl/waves, which gives it that frustrating new growth halo that always makes me look frazzled and unprofessional, no matter how hard I try to look sleek. In order to tame that, I usually do two side french braids into a bun in the back. It's more work than I want to do, but if I don't, within an hour the frizzes come out. I have remarkably few split ends.

It's not silky. I wish it were silky. Since it's fine, you'd think it should at least be silky. It's shinier since I clarified.

I figure it's not silky because I dye it. Can't stand my natural color.

What I've been doing:
I've been using Pantene shampoo and conditioner for long hair. The conditioner gives more slip than anything I've ever used and I love that. My comb just glides through in the shower.

I've been using One-n-only argan oil. I love the shine it gives. It's a little weighty, but I always figured my hair likes cones. When I used to lightly spray with the shine stuff people always complimented my hair. Maybe it was just weighed down.

Can anyone give a guess at my hair type?

Anyone have ideas how I should treat my hair to make it nice and lovely and not poof?

What's the next thing I should do / buy / try?

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm feeling really clueless.

pepperminttea
June 12th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I'd go with 2c; there's hints of spirals, especially in the ends. Have you tried the Curly Girl method? :)

spidermom
June 12th, 2011, 03:56 PM
First of all, your type is not 1C. It looks like it wants to curl, so I'd give you probably a 2C.

If your hair is anything like mine, it's going to look it's least-frizzy best if you can avoid combing it after you wash it. I like to give my hair a pre-wash treatment with coconut oil to length only (never scalp), left in overnight preferably, comb/brush thoroughly, then generously apply conditioner to length, shampoo scalp with diluted shampoo, rinse, condition again (length only, not scalp). Then leave it alone to let it air dry, trying not to mess it around too much while it dries. It always dries a little ropey looking. There are spiral curly areas and straight areas, and 100% of all the people I have ever asked have told me that it looks it's best left ropey and not combed. A little gel rubbed between WET palms and then smoothed over the surface helps keep the frizzies down.

Once I have to comb it to put it up or because it's messy and tangled, I use product over the surface to smooth the frizzies down. Gel isn't enough. If I really want a smooth look, I need a styling putty or wax to individually stroke over the most stubborn frizzy areas. So far, I like Natures Gate styling putty the best. It really holds, but when I'm ready to comb it out, it's easy to comb. Other similar products are sometimes too gluey.

Mairéad
June 12th, 2011, 03:57 PM
It looks a lot curlier than a 1c. I'd say 2c so it probably needs to be treated more like curly hair, which I'm sure others will be able to help you with since I'm a 1a, haha.

Also, what is your natural hair color? Do you think something you'd like could be attainable through henna, indigo, cassia, ect?

boudica
June 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you everyone for your help here!

@ Mairéad: Have thought about henna, since I'm going for an apricot / strawberry / light auburn thing, but underneath I'm salt and pepper, and about two shades darker than what you see here. The white hair gives me natural looking highlights that frame my face when I bottle dye, so I like that.

From what limited understanding I have of henna, even if I just did glazes, my hair would eventually all wind up the same color. While I'd probably enjoy more of the red, and could probably go auburn without disliking it too much, I have concerns about how to transition it so that the division between the dyed hair and where the virgin / henna starts. Should I dye to as close as I can come to my natural color before doing henna? I really like the color I have now and don't know how close I could come to it with henna, even as I grow more white, and let the darker hair become dark auburn.

Could a henna / cassia mixture on the white hair come close to the color I have now?

@ pepperminttea: Reading up on the Curly Girl method is what prompted me to make this post! While I've always wanted to have long hair, the extreme frizz my hair exhibits has prevented me from ever being happy with it. (Note the difference between picture 2 - half dry, and picture 3, fully dry.)

I've always had what seems to be an extreme amount of short curly hairs all over my head, no matter how short it's been cut. (And everyone's always told me that this new growth is damaged hair and that I need to cut it all off in order to grow it out long...gah!)

@ spidermom: Have orderd the Nature's Gate putty. What is the gel that you like? I got some Aloe Vera gel and wasn't sure of the outcome because I got the drinking kind and it went bad on my dresser before I really got the hang of it. (woops!)

Do you use the putty the same way as the gel?

I just had a very strange experience. I oiled the clarified hair with camellia oil (a lot, in anticipation of CO-ing later) and brushed it through. The static was insane! The hair all went straight and stuck out at 90 degrees from the floor! That's never happened before!

[twilight zone music]

Anyone have an idea how to get hair to feel silky? I'm about to try a protein treatment. See if that helps.

Mairéad
June 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
With my limited understanding of curly hair, you'll probably want to try a lot more combing as opposed to brushing. I've also heard it's better work with when wet and loaded with conditioner. (Someone please step in and correct me if I'm wrong!)

Also, if you try a protein treatment, make sure to follow up with a really good moisture treatment. Some people's hair don't take too kindly to protein.

Henna/Cassia mixes can get strawberry results, especially on white or blonde hairs. There are plenty of threads about all your concerns though I personally cannot answer them. My lengths have been henna/cassia to my preferred color so now I just touch up the roots.

luthein
June 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I agree with 2c. That may be subject to change if you choose to give up dye or use herbal dyes. I second the curly girl method. It can help gently cleanse your length, hydrate your waves, and may reduce any poofiness you're experiencing. You could also try a pre-wash oiling or CWC to protect your length if you don't want to give up shampoo yet.

Unfortunately, the structure of some hair doesn't give off that mirror shine. Mine will never blind someone, but it is healthy. It took a while to come to terms with that. Your hair is processed, so you may be surprised as you continue growing.

gthlvrmx
June 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I agree with trying the CG method, and don't brush! Your curls will love you for it :p

Hotrox
June 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM
My friend, you have beautiful hair and you are a curly girl for sure :-)

Personally I would consider dropping the cones and trying the curly girl method. But its really all about trial and error. I can't CO but I have swapped to a sulphate free shampoo and now C-W-C with a cone free condish and this and it made a big difference to the frizz and curl.

The other things that made the biggest difference was combing it with a wide tooth comb once only when wet and then never touching it again until totally bone dry. Lemon juice rinses can also help with the frizz for most people who try it.

twilight_faerie
June 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
2c, and WOW, your texture and color are gorgeous.

boudica
June 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Wow! So much wonderful insight! Thank you all!

When you do a deep protein treatment and follow with a moisture treatment, is it the same day? The next time you wash? Immediately after you rinse out the protein?

I've been researching these treatments since the recommendation. Are there any that work particularly well together - you know synergize with each other?

If this is 2C, it's pretty much what I've had all my life. I'm a curly girl! Yay!

Am going to try CG! I have one question, though. Right now, I comb through with a wide-tooth when the conditioner is in my hair and don't touch it until it's dry.

If you notice the difference between the far right and the middle picture, all my frizzies came out to play. If I don't brush, this is what happens every time. Is there a way to organize my hair so it's smooth on top and winds up with curls on the bottom? Is that what the gel is for?

I guess I'm just going to have to experiment. This is so exciting! Thank you all so much!

I really really really appreciate your help!

spidermom
June 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Yes, gel smoothed between your WET palms, palms stroked down the surface of your hair while it dries is a very good way to minimize the surface fluff. I am using natural aloe vera gel right now. You can find it with skin lotions in some department store. Don't get the kind with lidocaine (or any 'caine). Mine is Safeway brand Aloe Vera 100% gel and contains aloe vera, triethaloloamine (keeps ingredients blended), tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), carbomer (keeps gel gelled), tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM hydantoin, and diazolidinyl urea. I think the last few ingredients are stabilizers that keep the gel from going bad. I like most over-the-counter styling gels. If they're too sticky or thick, I just use them with more water.

Wetting your hands before rubbing gel between them really makes a big, positive difference in how it works.

spidermom
June 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
P.S. - you really have to watch out for henna. It's on the orange side of red until you build up multiple layers of it or start with dark hair. I thought it was beyond hideous on me.

jaine
June 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Hello fellow 2c! :) your hair type looks really similar to mine. I get the same halo of random curly individual hairs if I dry it loose with no products.

My standby styling methods are drying it in a bun with gel (this gives ms smooth loose waves, straight around my face) and curly girl method (which helps it clump better and be less frizzy if I want to wear it curly).

I admit, these methods work better for me in the winter when it's not ridiculously humid. The humidity makes my hair want to ignore the gel and revert to what it does naturally. That's ok...I just have more frizz in the summer...

jaine
June 12th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Ps. Smooth on top with curls on the bottom....I do that by parting and combing gel through my hair while it's still soaking wet (leaving the top smooth and straightish) then I scrunch some more gel into the pieces that hang down (so they will curl). I blot it with paper towels or a really smooth knit cotton scarf, then leave it to air-dry hard and finally scrunch out the crunch when it's dry.

boudica
June 16th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Jaine, what kind of gel are you using? Do the frizzies stay down the next day as well? Been looking for aloe vera gel with no success, except for the bright green kind laced with painkiller.

Am truly blown away by everyone's kindness and generosity here. Thank you all so much! After someone suggested checking out CG, I soaked my hair in oil, then did a light protein treatment with no shampoo, letting it air dry. I got more compliments on my hair that night than in all the prior months combined.