PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for your hair to air dry?

beccababesx
June 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Thought this would be interesting to see, with everyone's different hair types/length/level of damage.
Me: 2.5 hours

homeeduk8tor
June 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Minimum 5 hours; however it has taken days- just depends on the time of year, etc.

BlazingHeart
June 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Somewhere between 4 hours and 2 days, depending on ambient moisture and whether I go to bed with wet hair. But I do have super-thick hair.

feralnature
June 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Just a few minutes if I go outside. I air dried it already this morning.

lolsnort
June 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
If I'm awake? At least 5 hours. If I go to sleep with wet hair a majority of the time it will still be damp in the morning (8-10 hours).

Izae
June 12th, 2011, 11:25 AM
About an hour and a half now. When i was at uni, it was about 3 hours or more.
I think that maybe my hair just gets more air to dry with here than at uni, where my room only had one tiny window to let the air in.

nobeltonya
June 12th, 2011, 11:32 AM
If I actually keep it down and don't do anything to it, probably 2-3 hours.. but I hardly do that [especially since I'd have to brush it, and I've just about stopped doing it wet]. I usually wear it in a towel turban for about 30 minutes and then wet-bun a low ponytail for a few hours. THEN, I leave it down to finish drying, which still takes a little while. It seems to cooperate a lot better this way. :)

Eva_M
June 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM
About 1-2 hours, I think it can vary with the humidity and the temperature.

hypersensitive
June 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
It takes 3-4 hours if I just sit at home and don't do anything to it. It takes less than an hour if I'm outside under the sun with a nice breeze and I'm proactively 'fanning' it

jeanniet
June 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM
If I'm outside in the sun on a fairly sunny day, maybe an hour at most. Inside and down on the same day, probably about 3 hours. Winter, 3-4 hours. If it's up, it'll still be damp the next day (which is why I always have it down to dry).

krissykins
June 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Here's a poll about the subject (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30047). :D

To answer your question, though, it takes me somewhere between 2-3 hours. I have relatively healthy, waist length hair.

UltraBella
June 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
A very very very long time. Have no idea how many hours, I just get used to it being wet all day.

Regan
June 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM
1-3 hours. I feel like 3 hours is a stretch, though. I wish it took longer.

luthein
June 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'd say 3 hours before it is dry underneath. I have to plan when I'm going to shower because I hate sleeping on wet hair. It makes my scalp itchy.

CrystalStar
June 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Usually around 3 hours for my hair to get properly dry! If I wear it up it just does not dry!

xoxophelia
June 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Can somebody clarify something for me? As my hair becomes less damaged, should it begin to take longer or shorter for it to dry? Somebody said my hair takes so long to dry because it must be extremely damaged. Not really sure which it should be..

But mine takes at least 4 hours in the summer. If I fluff it up, keep brushing it, moving it around, I can probably get 2 hours but then it would look like a massive puff ball lol

janeytilllie
June 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Mine dries after about 2-3 hours.

Jcv-Shelley
June 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM
My hair can take 4 hours to dry... and it's barely apl length yet. By 3 and 1/2 hours it's getting there but still soaked. :p

Vespertine
June 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM
If I put it up wet, it's still wet when I take it down at the end of the day. If it's down it takes around four hours.

pepperminttea
June 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM
At the moment, with a towel turban and using a little bit of 'cone-y serum when my hair's damp in an otherwise 'cone-free routine, it takes about 4-5 hours. With a completely 'cone-free routine, it took 6-8 hours.

pepperminttea
June 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Can somebody clarify something for me? As my hair becomes less damaged, should it begin to take longer or shorter for it to dry? Somebody said my hair takes so long to dry because it must be extremely damaged. Not really sure which it should be..

But mine takes at least 4 hours in the summer. If I fluff it up, keep brushing it, moving it around, I can probably get 2 hours but then it would look like a massive puff ball lol

Extremely damaged hair is often more porous than otherwise healthy hair, which is why it's so difficult to keep it moisturised and why you need to go a bit mad with the deep treatments and 'cones to seal it in - it normally dries quite a bit faster. But some hair types are naturally more porous than others even at their healthiest, so YMMV.

Loreley
June 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
It takes a loooong time. But obviously it depends on the temperature. In winter if I wash it in the evening it dries by noon next day. In summer it takes about 8 hours or so. I have very thick hair. :p

trolleypup
June 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Depends on conditions. In warm dry conditions with good air circulation and manipulation, as little as 45 minutes, under cool more humid still conditions, 2-4 hours, and much longer if put up or slept wet.

xoxophelia
June 12th, 2011, 01:55 PM
At the moment, with a towel turban and using a little bit of 'cone-y serum when my hair's damp in an otherwise 'cone-free routine, it takes about 4-5 hours. With a completely 'cone-free routine, it took 6-8 hours.

Interesting. Dry time is one of the reasons I don't use cones. When I was, it seemed like my hair would just stay wet even on top and would take forever to dry. Without cones while it takes a looong time to dry the top dries fast enough for it to be manageable.

Extremely damaged hair is often more porous than otherwise healthy hair, which is why it's so difficult to keep it moisturised and why you need to go a bit mad with the deep treatments and 'cones to seal it in - it normally dries quite a bit faster. But some hair types are naturally more porous than others even at their healthiest, so YMMV.

Ok, so it should begin to take longer. I was confused by their statement since it seemed to me my new growth takes longer but I though it could be simply because it is the roots. I think my hair is also naturally porous since it tends to frizz but I could be wrong. The length is also damaged so I don't know:o

Kumiko033
June 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Even with my pixie it often still takes 3 hours, in winter even longer.

gthlvrmx
June 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Like us curlies! :D Loves moisture
And to find out if it porous and needs some deep conditioning treatments, you can do a test!
"With a bowl of water, leave in a shed hair in the water
Healthy hair should float because it has a sealed cuticle and therefore does not absorb water.
Excessively porous hair has open cuticle which will soak up water and sink
Protein is necessary to fill the holes in porous hair as well as to strengthen it while moisture is necessary to improve shine and manageability."
I am not so sure on the protein part, but if it's true(and all of it), woo-hoo!
Got this info from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100506083047AAwlKp2

Madora
June 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
My moderately thick, 42 inch hair takes about 20 minutes to airdry outside.

Indoors, about 45 minutes, standing about 3 feet from a portable heater.

I use a special "fanning" technique to speed the drying. Works like a charm!

ashamanjababu
June 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM
5 hours or more for me as well. If I'm awake.

IanB
June 13th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Mine takes about 3 hours to be completly dry, but that's the only was - no heat for me!

kidari
June 13th, 2011, 01:24 AM
If I wash at night I fan it over my pillow so as not to have it get in the way and it's always dry the next morning. It might be that my hair is not thick and it might also be that I live in the desert but if I wash in the morning it dries within an hour or less.

dulce
June 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Mine only takes 1 1/2 hrs tops,having layers and also fairly thin ,fine hair probably helps to speed it along.

Ligeia_13
June 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Completely? Usually around 2,5 hours. And its barely APL...during summertimes. Goodness help me if it ever gets to waist.

homeeduk8tor
June 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
@ Madora- what is this fanning technique you speak of? Are you willing to share you secret? I can't believe no one has asked about it yet. I am highly interested in drying my hair quicker.

Amber_Maiden
June 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
About 2 days.... :(

vanillabones
June 14th, 2011, 02:42 PM
About an hour :P... it's always been that way. Very thin and fine.

Seharia
June 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
If I leave it down and I'm active so it gets fluffed around a little it will take 4 or 5 hours but if its in a bun or I slept on it a day or two.

Una
June 16th, 2011, 04:09 AM
It seems to take about 5 hours for my hair to completly dry. I noticed that it took less time to dry when I was using cones. I guess silicones coat the hair so less moisture can get in.

skraprchik
June 16th, 2011, 04:35 AM
About 10 hours. I can wash in the morning before work and sometime that evening it will probably be dry. If I go to sleepmwith it wet it's mostly dry the next morning.

metricfuture
June 16th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Around an hour, but I do tend to mindlessly fan it while it dries. It annihilates most of my waves, but I can't stand the feeling of wet hair on my back, and more than 10 minutes in a turbie twist is a recipe for massive frizz later (still haven't figured that one out yet).

Elysium
June 16th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Around 2 hours or so. Its only just past APL, quite thin and layered though :p

Madora
June 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM
@homeeduk8tor...re: my fanning technique

Hi! Here's how I do it (after years of dreading the air drying process of my very thick and long hair).

Success in air drying depends a great deal on how you shampoo and condition and rinse beforehand.

Do your best to fully rinse out all shampoo. Do not "scrub" your strands against your scalp. Use your fingerpads and try and rinse in one direction (downwards) at a time. Rinse from front to the back first. Then rinse from top to the bottom. This may sound cumbersome, but the point is to try and negate snarling by NOT moving the hair around in various directions when rinising (or shampooing, or conditioning).

When your hair is full of conditioner, detangle slowly with a wide tooth comb. Work from the ends of the hair up to the scalp.

If at all possible, try to rinse out the conditioner with a final rinse of water as cold as you can stand it. This final rinse of cold water closes the cuticles (which had been opened by the hot/warm water you used before).

Gently pat your hair down its length by pressing the hair between your palms. This removes some of the excess water.

Take a long, thick towel, and holding it vertically, wrap around your hair length and pin it (like a turban). Let sit in towel for 10 minutes.

Take off towel, and bending at the waist, bring all your hair in front of you, like a curtain.

Detangle gently with wide tooth comb.

When all hair has been detangled, it's time to start the "fanning technique".

1) Take a small section of hair from the center of your forehead in your fingers, and bring your hand up to your eyebrow, and then extend your arm. Release the strands of hair. You've just "fanned" your first strands.

2) Pick up another small section and repeat.

3) Repeat and repeat and repeat until all the hair has been "fanned".

4) Every once in a while, you can gently use your wide tooth comb to do a larger "fanning" on the hair that has ALREADY been fanned.

Where to fan: If weather permits, fan outdoors. It took me 20 minutes outdoors in 60-65 degree weather. Indoors, I use a portable electric heater and stand about 3 to 4 feet away from it and it takes about 45 minutes.

Special note: After all your hair has been fanned and dried, and still bent at the waist, part your hair from the nape to the forehead. Grasp the hair at the bottom. Now stand erect. Take one section of hair and place it gently behind your shoulder so that it falls down your back. Repeat with other section.

Do NOT throw, toss/fling your hair over your shoulders!! That only creates more tangles. The more control you have over your hair, the less tangled it is!

SPECIAL NOTE re: AIR DRYING HAIR quickly...Hair of any length needs to have air circulate through it in order to dry quickly. It will take you forever to dry your hair if you just let it sit on a towel..or wear it up in a bun. That air must circulate, but circulate thru hair that has been THOROUGHLY DETANGLED FIRST! Believe me, been there, done that!

After detangling, you can use a little bit of coconut oil (rubbed between your palms and then down your strands) to help with the "just washed hair" flyaways.

This method WORKS..but takes time and patience! I had a very, very thick head of hair in the 90s. If you visit my hair album and see my length shot, you'll see how I dreaded having to wash my mane when shampoo day came!

nena_shawty
June 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Sometimes it takes half to a whole day to dry and im not even BSL.I cant imagine how long it will take my hair to dry when I do have long hair.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
it takes 4 to 5 hours to dry.. but if I go out right after i wash my hair, more like 1 or 2

QueenJoey
July 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
45-60 minutes. I have waist length, F/M hair.

gthlvrmx
July 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
Honestly, it depends on the weather and how dry it is :p
Those slightly more humid winter days, it takes quite some time.
Summers, 30 minutes, especially if i'm walking around outside.

longcurlygirl<3
July 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Takes almost three hours if I blot dry. But, soaking wet would probably be ..FOREVER!

beccababesx
July 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
@homeeduk8tor...re: my fanning technique

Hi! Here's how I do it (after years of dreading the air drying process of my very thick and long hair).

Wow! Thank you Madora for taking the time to explain this, I'll definitely be trying it!

LyraS
July 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I have waist length hair and i never really times it but i know it takes less than an hour for sure. My hair is thin and not very much so that is why. Also i live in a tropical country, so it's always so damn hot.

LunaMoon
July 4th, 2011, 02:46 PM
In the summer about 45 minutes. Winter, takes forever!

Madora
July 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM
@beccababesx...

You're welcome! It may seem like a lot of work, but believe me, it sure beats having to deal with the tangles!! Half the battle when airdrying is to be gentle and slow when detangling, then patient in the actual "fanning" process.

If you have any "frizzies" after finishing, a tiny bit of coconut oil (rubbed between your palms then down your strands) helps a lot to tame those flyaways.

Dr. Girlfriend
July 4th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I leave mine plopped soaking wet for about 45 minutes or so, and then it takes about an hour to air dry. My hair is APL and pretty thick.

MonaLisa
July 5th, 2011, 01:22 AM
around 3 or 4 hours I think :)

sycamoreboutiqu
July 5th, 2011, 02:09 AM
If it is bunned or braided - all day, and sometimes into the next day.

Down, about 5-6 hours unless I am outdoors and the humidity is super low.

Persephone94
July 5th, 2011, 03:50 AM
It takes about 4 hours.

Isala
July 5th, 2011, 03:59 AM
My hair takes 2-4 hours to dry depending on how much I play with it. Sometimes I squeegee it a bit with a washcloth and it dries faster. It can take 2 days to dry if I put my hair in a bun while in wet in the shower. It makes it so easy, though!

hazelnut
July 5th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Me: about a day to a day and a half

MrsC1970
July 28th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Im very new here! Has anyone experienced hair feeling too dried out and misbehaving after using a microfiber twist hair towel? I tried one for a couple days. Did my normal routine- but the 2 times I used the microfiber towel, my hair was very dry and straw like at the middle, end of the day.

MrsC1970
July 28th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Im very new here! Has anyone experienced hair feeling too dried out and misbehaving after using a microfiber twist hair towel? I tried one for a couple days. Did my normal routine- but the 2 times I used the microfiber towel, my hair was very dry and straw like at the middle, end of the day.

And Im sorry if Im posting in the wrong place or the wrong way- like I said, im very new here

ginger007
July 28th, 2019, 03:01 PM
About 4 to 5 hrs. I think it varies. If I go to sun shine, then it takes much less time indeed.

2gaits
July 28th, 2019, 03:03 PM
It's 107 today and not humid. Outside in direct sun? It would take minutes to dry! Usually a couple of hours in normal weather and inside.

Kalamazoo
July 28th, 2019, 05:48 PM
I cheat on this "air-drying" thing:

1. I run a dehumidifier in my apartment.

2. I have ionizers going. (I've been told they dry things out a bit.)

3. I hop in my car with my hair still damp, turn on the AC or heater or both full-blast & finger-comb while driving.

I'm not sure how long it takes me to get out of the shower, dressed, & into the car; but once I start driving, it's only 10 or 15 minutes 'til it's all dry. I feel like, as long as I don't make it hotter than is a nice comfortable temperature for my skin, it's not going to be hot enough to do any heat damage to the hair.

AuntyMiki
July 28th, 2019, 06:23 PM
It takes mine all day to dry.

Dutchbraids
July 28th, 2019, 08:51 PM
If I go to sleep with it down, I will wake up with it still decently damp.
During the day in the summer: 3.5 to 4 hours
During the winter: 7-8
I also live in a desert, so the air is very dry here. When I go visit my grandparents in Michigan (hello frizz!) it doesn't really dry until we get back home.

Milkchocolate
July 29th, 2019, 07:31 AM
If I didn’t have my fan..it could take 8+ hours. That damp feeling would never go away. In the winter, 10+ hours. I never understood how some people’s hair dries faster than others -_- wet hair is the worst for me lol

-Fern
July 29th, 2019, 09:38 AM
~5 hours for my MBL, iii hair.

Begemot
July 29th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Way too long... My hair isn't thick or very dense but somehow it still takes its own sweet time to dry. I'd say it takes 5-6 hours, maybe a little longer during winter.

Groovy Granny
July 29th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Usually within the hour :o
Half of the length is dry out of the turban because it is so fine/wispy.

In the back above the nape I still have a small % of medium darker hair and that takes a bit longer to dry, especially if it is humid = @30 min + max

Yes...be jealous :eyebrows: :lol:

Key
July 29th, 2019, 07:17 PM
When I was waist length, it took a good 5 hours.

arlangrey17
July 29th, 2019, 08:26 PM
About two hours for my slightly grown out pixie length to totally dry in the back where it's thick.

MermaidDreads
July 29th, 2019, 08:35 PM
Before dreadlocks 45 minutes max. With dreads it takes 3-4 hours.

voshtak
July 29th, 2019, 08:46 PM
Probably all day, just about? My hair's supposedly kinda thick, and currently it's down to around my hips. It takes at least 5 hours, probably more, and sleeping in it leaves it very damp.

Liz_H
July 30th, 2019, 08:19 AM
2 to 3 hours at most. It's waist length in back, a few inches shorter in front. I also have layers. Before I had it well moisturized it took about 5 hours. My hair is 1b/f/ii

ETA. I usually leave it in a turbin for 10 to 30 minutes.

Bacs
July 30th, 2019, 08:57 AM
To be 100% dry, if left down, it depends on the season. In winter when air’s a touch drier, it can fully dry in a couple hours. In summer I know it takes at least 3 hours but I can’t stand it for long and it gets put up. My hair is moderately thick, 2a/2b, and between waist and hip length.

Natalia_A00
July 30th, 2019, 09:09 AM
Minimum 4-5 hours, it depends

manticore
July 30th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I don’t actually know :x Usually I wash my hair in the evening and sleep with it loose, still wet (I know, I know, but unfortunately I have chronic lazy disorder). Usually it’s dry by morning.

If, I’m the very rare occasion I wash in the daytime and let it air dry, it doesn’t take nearly as long. Especially if it gets sun

cestlavie
July 30th, 2019, 01:30 PM
1-3 hours. During winter it takes longer, though.

blackgothicdoll
July 30th, 2019, 01:38 PM
24 hours or more....

zashin66
July 30th, 2019, 02:10 PM
If rainy a day or so. If normal weather more like ten hours. If I wash in am then will be dry by late evening.

maplesyrupgirl
July 30th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Usually around 3-4 hours? I wash my hair in the morning and by the time I'm ready to leave for work in the evening, it's dry.

browntatis
July 30th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Wow Im very surprised reading the comments! I thought my hair took long!
My hair takes aprox 2 hours to air dry, (I always air dry my hair) my texture is 1A.

KlutzyChy1
July 30th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Literally the whole freaking day. Does anyone have any tips on speeding up air drying time? I try to make sure I squeeze out as much water as I can & I leave it in turbie twist for at least 2 or 3 hours & when I take it out, it's still soaking wet.

EdG
July 30th, 2019, 07:36 PM
After the hair has stopped dripping, comb it and wear it loose. Hair needs air circulation and at least normal room temperatures to air dry.
Ed

Rowdy
July 30th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Literally the whole freaking day. Does anyone have any tips on speeding up air drying time? I try to make sure I squeeze out as much water as I can & I leave it in turbie twist for at least 2 or 3 hours & when I take it out, it's still soaking wet.

After the hair has stopped dripping, comb it and wear it loose. Hair needs air circulation and at least normal room temperatures to air dry.
Ed

Yes this, circulation helps a lot. If I left my hair in a towel to dry it never would. Try leaving it down with a towel on your back and see if it helps the time.

Dark40
July 30th, 2019, 08:40 PM
Mine takes 4 to 5 hours. My hair is so thick.

PallasAthena
August 9th, 2019, 11:32 AM
The front only takes a half hour but the back/nape area can be damp for up to two hours. It's a completely different density and texture in back. I have some hereditary hair loss and thinning in front is probably why. Now that it's summer I find the damp hair pretty refreshing!

AutobotsAttack
August 10th, 2019, 12:09 AM
If it’s cold, and I’m inside upwards of 4-6 hours

If I’m outside and it’s warm less than 30-35 mins.

Angela the Mer
August 10th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Mine dries quite fast. In summer, it'll dry within the hour. Should I be worried? :confused: (lol).

cjk
August 10th, 2019, 01:44 PM
I'm setting a speed record today. Washed this morning, it's only 3pm, and the tips are already dry.

It might actually be completely dry by church, tomorrow!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
August 10th, 2019, 02:00 PM
It takes under an hour if I'm deliberately drying outside.

gin
August 10th, 2019, 02:15 PM
My hair is somewhat thick, so it takes awhile to dry all the way through. A few things have sped up my air drying time a lot, though.

- Multiple hair towels! I use a full size microfiber towel and a microfiber towel turban. What I do is I have a full-sized microfiber towel in addition to the towel turban. The last thing I do is rinse with cold water + small amount of ACV, squeeze that out, and then put it up in a jaw clip while I do the rest of my washing routine (body wash, shave, face wash). So some amount of water has dripped from the hair already. Then I use the full-sized towel to gently squeeze as much water out as I can, then loosely wrap my hair in that towel as I use a regular towel to dry off my body. Then I let my hair out of the full-sized microfiber towel, detangle with a super wide tooth comb, then put it up in the microfiber towel turban and leave that on for 30min to an hour. My hair is still wet when I take it out, but less so than when I use just the towel turban alone.

- Hair flipping (or some people head bang) - Basically bend over like you're doing a hamstring stretch to let your head and hair hang down, and then flip your hair up quickly as you stand back up. I do this periodically while air drying. Definitely a few times right after taking my hair out of the turban and putting some leave-in and oil on my hair. It actually feels great for me. :) I think I end up doing it every 30-45min or so. I don't time it, just whenever I feel like my hair needs more air in it. :)

- No combing or anything while air drying! I used to wide-tooth comb my hair while it dried because I thought it would help it tangle less. But a thick-haired person on Youtube suggested the opposite for air drying, because when you comb, it brings your hairs together to create clumped columns of hair, which would take longer to dry because the hairs aren't as exposed to air. Anyway, I was skeptical but tried it anyway, and it definitely helped a lot with getting my hair dry faster! This probably also applies to finger combing.

My hair still takes 4+ hours to dry (maybe more for fully dry, my under layer at my neck takes forever unless I head bang a lot, haha), but it used to be much longer without the above things. In fact I used to blow dry my hair because if I didn't it felt like it would never, ever dry.

EDIT: Taking a walk outside when it's sunny and dry also helps speed it up quite a bit too :)

TatsuOni
August 11th, 2019, 02:37 AM
Around six hours.

lapushka
August 11th, 2019, 03:29 AM
8+ hours, so I don't even try.

I towel dry for about 30 min.
I then air dry for 2-4H.
Then I quick-diffuse on warm/cool (depending on the season) for 5 min.

That's my routine.

I can't leave my hair wet too long due to SD (seborrheic dermatitis). So after a couple hours mostly it gets its diffuser.

Estrid
August 11th, 2019, 03:34 AM
Around 3 hours, I think.

MaGee5
August 11th, 2019, 11:26 AM
About 2 hours. Annoying because I don't blow dry, but I guess it could be worse.

ExpectoPatronum
August 11th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Depends on the products I use during styling. As little as four hours, as long as six-eight hours.

p3anutbuttercup
December 20th, 2019, 11:08 PM
My hair is waist length now my hair take about 3 and a half hours to fully dry.

Laurab
December 21st, 2019, 07:09 AM
I think about five hours. Maybe more. It's not that long, but the humidity is so high in Florida, everything takes forever. It dried in like half the time when I visited a less humid place.

unheardletters
December 21st, 2019, 07:54 AM
All day, and it’s only shoulder length. I wash my hair first thing in the morning and by the time I go to bed (17 hours later) it is still damp in the back of my head. I hate washing my hair in the winter. It’s been around -40c lately and I cannot avoid going outside, so I have to go out with wet hair many times throughout the day. But even in the summer time it takes all day to dry.

bparnell75
December 21st, 2019, 10:58 AM
It will only take about an hour and a half if I leave it down. Bunned about 24 hours.

Prerna23
December 21st, 2019, 11:43 AM
About 2- 3 hours. Varies if I'm out in the sun or inside.

shelomit
December 22nd, 2019, 12:36 PM
I had to take a shower without a showercap yesterday morning at about 5:30 or 6:00. Left my hair down as long as I could stand it, then had to go out so I bunned it up. Braids for bed. It's 1:27 p.m. now and I just took the braids out. One side of my hair is almost entirely dry, but the other side (the one I slept on, I'm guessing) is still half-damp ) : Thirty-two hours, and I even went outdoors without a headscarf, which I rarely do : P I don't think I've ever gotten my hair to dry in less than half a day.

Zesty
December 22nd, 2019, 01:24 PM
If I wash at 5am it's completely dry by about 11 or 12, so 6 ish hours I suppose? A long time. I avoid bunning or braiding until it's completely dry because it's not good for my scalp for it to have wet hair against it for too long.

Most of it dries in a shorter period of time but the underlayer at the back of my head is stubborn.

kikuhoshi
December 25th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Down, less than an hour. Bunned, it can literally take days - my hair is so fine that it compacts easily and stays damp/wet at the center of a bun for *forever*. Yay.

0xalis
December 27th, 2019, 01:12 AM
My hair is very short but it still takes anywhere between 1 and 3 hours to dry completely. I have finer strands and a good number of them.
It dries faster if I run my fingers through it and stuff but I'd rather just leave it alone since it's more fragile wet.

Elodea
December 27th, 2019, 08:39 PM
This is so heavily dependent on a number of factors. Bunned, perhaps around an entire day. Loose on a warm sunny day when I'm outside, probably under an hour, though I've never timed it exactly, I just know it takes a far shorter time. If I wash my hair at night and sleep with it loose, it's usually still damp in the morning though it might vary a bit depending on how long I slept.

Generally, I squeeze out the water and leave my hair wrapped in a towel for 10 or 15 minutes post-wash, then leave it to air dry.

AnyaWK
December 28th, 2019, 04:20 AM
I also take around 2 hours to dry my hair, my hair is now up to my shoulders ☺️

Aeris
December 28th, 2019, 10:29 AM
If it stays down and I finger comb it a bit while it dries, about 4 hours. Usually it gets tossed into a bun a few times during that process though, so it can end up taking a lot longer.

Twig
December 28th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Mine's fine yet thick. Mmm, about 3 hours.

BraidedBunch
December 28th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Two hours give or take. Medium thickness/coarseness, long side of APL. There be henna.

Arciela
December 28th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Mine is thick and low porosity so it takes forever >_< I would say if I wash it at 10am its barely dry by bed time. In the summer though it dries a bit faster!

zashin66
December 29th, 2019, 08:28 AM
When i lived in Arizona, a desert state just east of california on the Western coast of north america, the relative humidity was often below 10%. My hair just dried super fast. But here in Texas in the dallas-fort worth area, the humidity is mostly 50-100%. Now my hair dries anywhere from 8 hours to overnight.

dansyl
December 29th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Depends. When I'm at home and I can leave it down it takes maybe 2 1/2 hours to dry. If it's up in a pony or bun it stays damp almost all day.

Volchitsa
December 29th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Mmm, somewhere around the 3 hour mark if it's down.

branbran
December 29th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Between 12 to 16 hours completely

wishy
January 9th, 2020, 03:05 PM
My hair is fine and thin between shoulder & APL. It takes less than an hour to dry completely. I wear it down and it's usually just finished drying right when I roll into work in the morning :p

SnowDancer
January 9th, 2020, 03:54 PM
I have curly hair that is damaged and tries to hold moisture. To completely dry it takes about 3-4 hours.