PDA

View Full Version : Help me with SL hair and growing.....

Brenda714
June 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM
My hair is between shoulder and APL, this has been the most grueling stage I could have ever imagined. Plus my bangs can't go all the way back and they are now almost chin. My hair is thickening up though. I had a lot of dye and straightening (*wince* in know) damage and had that cut up. I have very wurly hair and I can't control it. It doesn't seem to be growing lengthwise right now, just everywhere else, looks bushy. Too embarassed to post pictures right now. How does everyone go through this awful stage? Any recommendations would be so welcome, I'm at my wits end. Thank you :)

pixiestar
June 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Sorry I'm at the same stage:( it's the worst isn't it. Mine has got thicker also, just hoping I get some length now as well. I think the multi vits and the rooibos tea help with the growth, as has grown more than usually in the last 6 weeks:D

krissykins
June 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I think this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58) and this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=76) might help you.

I think the important thing is to ignore it and let it grow!

Brenda714
June 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I appreciate your help. Krissykins, that was a great article about growing out hair, and that gal was amazing growing from bald! Guess my hair could be shorter!

RubyEmpress
June 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM
SL was my starting length. It does suck and seem like it's going to take forever to reach your goal but I found that by avoiding trims and benign neglect is the key for me.

krissykins
June 12th, 2011, 08:59 AM
You're very welcome, Brenda :) I wish you luck on your hair growth journey and I hope the awkward stages pass quickly!

dulce
June 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM
This was my hardest stage also,luckily it'll pass if you hang in there and don't cut.

miss_purple
June 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM
When I was in this stage (SL) I used to keep my hair half-up because it seemed longer, since I (still) have layers. The shortest layers were up and the rest of hair was down.

BlazingHeart
June 12th, 2011, 11:06 AM
At that length, I found that braiding it sometimes helped me manage it. I've only got a little natural wave, but it was enough to be a nuisance around shoulder length. One braid on each side, right behind the ear.

nobeltonya
June 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I used to always wear it up in a messy bun when it was shorter, and it always seemed longer when I finally would let it down. :) I never wore it down until like BSL.. try coconut oil. Worked wonders for me.. before I met my husband, I'd never known about coconut oil. Now, I can't live without it. I always oil at night and wash it out in the morning.

Of the Fae
June 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Sounds familiar! I'm at the same stage right now and also wear it up a lot :P
Henna has improved my hair growth I have noticed! If cassia does this too you might want to try it?
Or just go red :p Nah, anyway, I do not trim. Have not since I decided to grow it out in october, and no dead ends. Don't be afraid it will get all messed up if you don't trim, if your hair is healthy it isn;t necessary to do this

Mannaz
June 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
At that length, I found that braiding it sometimes helped me manage it. I've only got a little natural wave, but it was enough to be a nuisance around shoulder length. One braid on each side, right behind the ear.

I did this a lot too. Also two french or dutch braids worked well, or a high chignon.

Vespertine
June 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM
When I was in that phase, I'd wear it up in pig tails or double buns a lot.

I'm currently growing out my bangs, too, and have just been pinning them back to the crown of my head to create more volume in front. Kind of like this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vhFh-n7pCbU/SxMvd28VsSI/AAAAAAAAEJ0/-UWRZ5_hENQ/s400/051409_olsen_400x400.jpg

Good luck!

turtlelover
June 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I have wurly/poofy hair and have gone through that stage a number of times (and am there now AGAIN -- when will I learn NOT TO CUT MY HAIR SHORT?)

I absolutely MUST have a good amount of layering till I get past shoulder length to avoid major poof. I also make frequent use of claw clips, especially the mini ones, which are great for pulling back bangs while growing them out. To reduce poof, I wash w/ conditioner only and use a bit of coconut oil, which also helps "deflate" my hair.

Of the Fae
June 13th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Oh you also have this? You're trying to grow it out, but at a certain point an impusle decision takes over to cut it short and then.. you regret it badly ?

Braidy
June 13th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I know how you feel, I was there last fall. Now I'm right in the middle between APL and BSL. I think every length has challenges of its own though. At SL I mostly did high ponytails (you could hardly see any tail but hey) then at APL I got tired of the ponytails so I started braiding and doing french twists. Now I can still do french twists but the hair begins to peep out cause it's getting too long so I'm mostly back to ponytail and braids until my hair is long enough to do things like a Nautilus cause my hair is simply too heavy to do an ordinary bun with a two tined fork or two hair sticks. It falls out in no time and I don't want to redo my hair every hour of the day. So I think that at any stage it's a matter of learning to manage the length. But that keeps it from getting boring right? Good luck!

kidari
June 13th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Try oiling your hair, now is the time to experiment with different oils and combining oils?! Also when my hair was at a really awkward stage between chin and shoulder, I would wear it in an updo or put in those Hairdo extentions in my hair. Good luck!