PDA

View Full Version : Widow's Peak

homeeduk8tor
June 12th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Do any of you have a widow's peak? I do and I was wondering if it's genetic. I've always heard that it was but don't know if that is fact or fiction. I used to be self-conscious about mine when I was a kid but now I don't worry about it- it seems kind of unique. Didn't Fran Drescher have the most awesome widow's peak? :cheese:

Mesmerise
June 12th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I always wanted one and was envious of my friend who had one! I liked to imagine I had a very teeny one... umm... I guess I do have a very, very teeny one lol.

Not sure if they're genetic or not!

Panth
June 12th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I have a small one, not that you can tell much as I'm blonde. It'd be nicer if it wasn't combined with a cowlick and a double crown. Means that if I have short hair, my fine hair just won't ever lie neatly.

jojo
June 12th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Yeah I have a widows peak not a huge one but its there. I use it as my point for measuring my hair!

PianoPlaye
June 12th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Wikipedia says it is genetic. Which I translate to "probably genetic". I'd guess most of us have them in some degree, as the alternative is a straight across hairline, which seems more odd than a mild peak.

EmiliaF
June 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I just recently got one. That sounds funny, but is actually true.
I stopped blow-drying my hair when I found TLHC last 7 months ago and shortly after that I saw a lot of baby hairs coming in along my hairline. Now there are SO many of them that I look like I have bangs when I comb all of them to the front. AND I noticed a few weeks ago that suddenly I have a widow's peak. I always wanted one so it's nice.
I am just curious to see whether it stays or disappears back into the hairline once more baby hairs crop up. ;)

homeeduk8tor
June 12th, 2011, 06:37 AM
@EmiliaF- Very interesting! Congrats- I hope it remains since you always wanted one.

Chetanlaiho
June 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I had to google what it was since I'd heard of it before but I wasn't sure what exactly it meant xD I don't have one but DBF does, most of the hair on the middle part of his head is about neck length(?) but his 'widow's peak hairs' are really short, I always wonder why :shrug:

ladyfey
June 12th, 2011, 06:54 AM
It is indeed genetic.

RuLueashk
June 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Count me among those who are slightly envious of a widow's peak!

BlazingHeart
June 12th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I have one, too. I think I get it from my dad, who gets it from his mother.

~Blaze

DoubleCrowned
June 12th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I have a small one, not that you can tell much as I'm blonde. It'd be nicer if it wasn't combined with a cowlick and a double crown. Means that if I have short hair, my fine hair just won't ever lie neatly.

Me, too, but brunette with less hair and a second cowlick at the nape! I've always liked my widow's peak. Now that I think of it, its cowlick there would look worse the hairline were straight.

Ann Marie
June 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I never liked mine....makes bangs funky...I shaved it once when I was in High School...:p

Elistariel
June 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I have a little bit of one. Although, as far as I know no one else in my family has one. :confused: - and no I'm not adopted or the "milkman's daughter." :p I look ridiculous if I try to part my hair down the middle as my peak doesn't like to cooperate with that look.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4940&pictureid=64518
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2127&pictureid=64509

luthein
June 12th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I am also a widow's peak admirer. They look great! The actress Rita Hayworth comes to mind -- she underwent electrolysis to make her forehead higher and her widow's peak more apparent.

mira-chan
June 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Widow's peak is a genetic trait, one of the single gene ones where there is a dominant (RR or Rr, you have it) or recessive (rr, you don't have it) alleles. No other genes involved, unlike hair or eye color/ shape.

I have one.

Kyla
June 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have one, but it's very "messy." All the hairs are very short and go every which way-the point is there, but among a lot of small hairs. I have never liked it honestly...I never wear my hair closest to my forehead pulled back, because I don't like how it looks.

hypersensitive
June 12th, 2011, 11:30 AM
My friend was cutting a fringe for me, and she remarked how I had a widow's peak. The only thing is that it makes a braided side fringe harder to do.. =/ As you're braiding, you get to a point where there is no hair to add to the braid, so the braid's width isn't very consistent.

CareBear
June 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I have one, but it's very "messy." All the hairs are very short and go every which way-the point is there, but among a lot of small hairs. I have never liked it honestly...I never wear my hair closest to my forehead pulled back, because I don't like how it looks.

I have this too. Mine refuses to grow much past my nose. Plus it's frizzy. Often times it will stick straight up like a unicorn horn. Always annoyed me, now I clamp it down with kachinks. You know, those bendy barrette things?

Loreley
June 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have widow's peak. I'm not a big fan of it because I can't do a side part. It just doesn't look good on me. I suppose it's genetics. My dad and his sister also have widow's peak, just like my grandma.

TakeAPotatoChip
June 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I would think any physical trait would be genetic...
I have one- no one at all on my mother's side has them, and my grandmother DID make it a point to look through every single family photo when she first saw mine when I was 12. My father's adopted though, so unfortunately she couldn't stare into his family pics with her magnifying glass xD

Ryanne
June 12th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I don't have one. It's genetic, though. A widow's peak is a dominant trait, so inheriting one allel will do the trick.

beccababesx
June 12th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have one which I pluck out haha! I 'tidy up' my whole hairline, I just think it looks nice and clean.

bluesnowflake
June 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I have one. I know it's genetic- we studied it in Sceince. Sometimes I like it, but it does make my hair look bad it pulled back without a part. Overall, I wish I didn't, but it's not that big a deal to me.

Brianna
June 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I do, though it's not very pronounced. I've certainly never felt bad about having it. :)

bondeandeebowl
June 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I have one. It's slight, but it's there. The hairs seem to be the same as the rest of my hair (I'm growing out bangs and the widow's peak hair is the same length as the rest). I wish I didn't have it. I feel like it makes my forehead look even bigger than it is somehow.

I remember this kid in high school that has very short hair, and shaved his dramatic widow's peak. You could always see it's 5 o clock shadow.

Madora
June 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Yep! I have one. Used to hate it when I was younger. Fine with it now.

racrane
June 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I've always had one and I assume it's genetic. My mother's side of the family all has one. I don't mind it. I'm a blonde and it's not extremely noticeable.

patienceneeded
June 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Yep, it's genetic. DH teaches Biology, it's one of the example traits they teach. Widows Peak, Tongue-curling, attached or unattached earlobes...it's all genetically determined. I have a Widows Peak, DH and DD do not. This tells me that my Widows Peak is not a "double-dominant." I must have a dominant allele and an recessive one. To have no Widows Peak you need a double-recessive. Now I will completely nerd-out and draw a punnet square. W = Dominant trait, w= recessive trait. I would be Ww, as I have a WP (Widows Peak) and DD does not. I would HAVE to be Ww, otherwise she would have gotten a WP like me. DH is ww, since he has no WP.

W w
w Ww ww
w Ww ww

Any children DH and I have would have a 50/50% chance of getting a Widows Peak or a straight hairline.

Ok, nerd-time over.

EDIT - sorry. My punnet square will not format correcly when posted.

Dr. Girlfriend
June 20th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I have one; I used to hate it and shaved it once when I was about eleven years old. I got it from my dad, who got it from grandma.

McFearless
June 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I wish I had one. There are also people with reverse widow's peaks.

twilight_faerie
June 20th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I have one, and I don't like it. You can't tell it's there when I part my hair in the middle, but I usually part my hair on the right side, and it is noticeable like that. I still think my hair looks better with a side part, though, widow's peak notwithstanding.

CariadA
June 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I have a widow's peak, my mother has a widow's peak, my maternal grandmother had a widow's peak and my maternal great-grandmother had a widow's peak. My maternal grandfather and his mother also had widow's peaks. (So both of my mother's grandmothers had one.) Neither of my brothers have one. Other than my mom's father, only the women in our family have had them.

I like mine. I think it suits my face.

Malibu Barbie
June 21st, 2011, 01:22 AM
I also have a widows peak:)

Asequui
June 21st, 2011, 04:07 AM
My mama had the most lovely Widow's Peak. I always thought it was beautiful and wanted one. In fact, when I was about 7 I got ahold of some scissors and cut an inverted V into my hairline to replicate it....that did not go so well lol. :doh:

Anyhow, I love Widow's Peaks! They're so striking and pretty.:crush:

Ligeia_13
June 21st, 2011, 04:27 AM
Widow's peaks are so beautiful. I've always wished I had one. Unfortunately, it doesn't run in my family.

newbeginning
June 21st, 2011, 06:34 AM
I have one. I find it a pain to style bangs and part my hair because of it.

cowgirllong
June 21st, 2011, 07:07 AM
I have NEVER heard of someone not liking their widows peak. What is up with this? I love mine and always have. I have dark hair and my widows peak shows. To be truthful, I flaunt it nearly all the time. I pull my hair straight back in a braid or a bun nearly every day. My kids have them, too. My husband loves mine.

cloud29
June 21st, 2011, 07:18 AM
I've got a widow's peak too. It definitely runs in the family. Though its hard to tell since dad has very little hair now.:p

RitaPG
June 21st, 2011, 07:42 AM
I don't have one, sadly :(
My enormous forehead would probably benefit from one lol

Scarlet_Heart
June 21st, 2011, 10:01 AM
I have a dramatic one (here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7495&pictureid=98818)). I used to hate it because it made bangs nearly impossible. But I'm not so keen on bangs anymore anyway and I have such a long forehead (or five-head) and long face that I guess it helps.

homeeduk8tor
June 21st, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have a dramatic one (here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7495&pictureid=98818)). I used to hate it because it made bangs nearly impossible. But I'm not so keen on bangs anymore anyway and I have such a long forehead (or five-head) and long face that I guess it helps.

My widow's peak is as defined as yours! I used to hate mine too but I don't mind it so much now. Yeah, I never thought about it making bangs difficult t have but I've never really had bangs so this never occurred to me.

Sunsailing
June 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
It is a dominant trait. You only need one allele.

Quezie
June 23rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
Mine is pretty slight, but it's there. I think my mom has a more defined widows peak.
It could look less dramatic because I have about half an inch of blonde root growth though. :b

neesalena
June 23rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
I have one and was awkward about it for a long time. Now, I don't mind it much. i still feel weird to pull all my hair back, so I normally keep a few bang bits loose. Just seems like a huge v, with a huge forehead otherwise. I got it from my mama.

Zesty
June 23rd, 2011, 04:54 AM
I have one, but it's sort of weird. I don't have a super defined point, but it's definitely in that shape, and I have a ton of little baby hairs that never grow long all along it. I could never do those cute pulled-back hairstyles without bangs that so many girls get away with, it looked odd. So I don't think mine is a widow's peak that any of you would be jealous of. :p

Ligeia_13
June 23rd, 2011, 04:58 AM

That's really beautiful!

Scarlet_Heart
June 23rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
That's really beautiful!

Thank you! :crush:

Veviticus
June 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Do any of you have a widow's peak? I do and I was wondering if it's genetic. I've always heard that it was but don't know if that is fact or fiction. I used to be self-conscious about mine when I was a kid but now I don't worry about it- it seems kind of unique. Didn't Fran Drescher have the most awesome widow's peak? :cheese:
I have a widow's peak, one in the middle and the two on sides, and I was constantly teased by my classmates who called me Elvira or Dracula. Having a big forehead didn't help matters any either. But now that I'm grown, I love my widows peak and large forehead too, which all came from my father.

summergame
March 13th, 2012, 04:33 AM
I'm not sure if I have a window peak,but i really have a big forehead! Due to my hormonal allopecia.

http://imageshack.us/g/860/1000344z.jpg/

I don't like it at all :-(

irishlady
March 13th, 2012, 04:44 AM
I have a widow's peak, I like the way they look so am glad I have one. I think it runs on my mother's wide of the family, she has one too as do her sisters.

Charasy
March 13th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I have one, and I hate it :( I wish I had s straigther hairline, or at least those cute little baby hairs along the hair line. I think that looks so pretty! :)

MaryMarx
March 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I have one. I think my mom has it too, not sure. Will investigate.

blondie9912
March 13th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I have a slight one, and it definitely is genetic.

PinkyCat
March 13th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Here's mine - complete with weirdo cowlicks!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8306&pictureid=121073

holothuroidea
March 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM
My hairline is exactly straight across. Widow's peaks are lovely, I have at times wished for one. :)

Khiwanean
March 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
My hairline has this kind of curvy "M" shape. Not sure if that truly counts as a widow's peak or not. My dad has the same thing.

Flame3345
March 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Definitely sure it is genetic :D both me and my 2 siblings have one (one older sister and an older brother) but my twin sister doesn't seem to have one.. or not really sure? :O her hair is fine so she has a lot of baby hairs right there, so i think she probably has one but that it just aren't showing cause of all the short hairs. Anyway my siblings and i love ours! :D

MissManda
March 13th, 2012, 10:21 AM
My hairline has this kind of curvy "M" shape. Not sure if that truly counts as a widow's peak or not. My dad has the same thing.

This is what my hairline is like, too. I did not think that I had a widow's peak until someone mentioned it to me. :shrug: Now I just feel confused. :p

Renate
March 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I wish I had a widow's peak, but I don't, only my sister does... She hates it, though, she used to hide it with her fringe, but since I told her it was beautiful and I wish I had, she decided to let her fringe grow! :)

Annibelle
March 13th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Widow's peaks are interesting. They look really pretty if the hair is styled a certain way (especially back-swept), but to me, they look strange when parted certain ways. I don't know. :) I don't have one, though. My hairline is just rounded. SO has a weird hairline-- it's straight across, and then has sharp corners at either side of his forehead. So... if his hair is straight back, it looks kind boxy. I think that's really strange. :p Maybe there should be thread where everyone posts a photo of their hairline! :D

Kayla Nyx
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I have a very slight one, combined with a nice cowlick.

PinkyCat
March 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I have a very slight one, combined with a nice cowlick.

This made me LOL. I've never hear anyone say "nice cowlick" before. :p Not sure if you were being sarcastic - but it tickled me none the less.

MaryRose
March 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I have a widows peak. I have always liked it. Currently, I wear bangs and have been for the last 4 years. It is definately genetic.

TeaEarlGreyHot
March 13th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I had a deep one, it got worse after I had my first child and had a horrendous post partum shed. I started taking biotin and multivitamins 2 months ago and it has TOTALLY filled in. I should find a before an after picture.

Tisiloves
March 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I have the world's smallest widow's peak, it looks like an afterthought to my cowlick.

Blackfire
March 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I actually didnt know what I widows peak was.... I had to run and check in the mirror! Is this a widows peak?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/dontfearthedarkness/Picture0024.jpg

1nuitblanche
March 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I don't have one, unless it's microscopic. My mother and brother both have tiny ones. In 11th grade, my biology teacher told us that widows peaks are genetic.

1nuitblanche
March 13th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Blackfire, I would say that you have a widows peak.

jacqueline101
March 13th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I have a small one and I like mine.

EtherealDoll
March 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I have a widow's peak. I don't like how it looks when my fringe is pinned back, so I never wear my hair that way. But it looks cute with a side parting.

Shesta
March 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
My father has and so do I. Not very pronounced but it's there.

Shoga
March 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I wish I had one, they are very striking! I think of Ziva from NCIS. :heartbeat

Diamond.Eyes
March 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I don't have a widow's peak, but my DF does. It is genetic. I think they are extremely attractive on men :p. I think it gives them a more masculine kind of edge, especially if the front of the hair is styled so the widow's peak is visible. :)

Blackfire
March 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I couldnt tell because my hairline is kinda like a rounded heart shape... the peak isnt as pointy as what I saw when I google imaged a widows peak, lol. Didnt know if that counted! lol

renee2day
March 23rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Yep I have one, thank you Dad.
I have an inlaw that tried to imply that widows peaks were Eddie Munster creepy but I would have none of it. My widows peak isn't THAT pronounced but it suits me fine.:eyebrows:

dani18
May 5th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I have a widows peak, but it is slightly miss shapen. :) oh well i have side bangs that cover it. I am envious of those that have a straighter hair line.

ClassicalBlonde
May 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Yep, I've got a good one :D It really does make styling difficult.

Melolf
May 6th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I have one, and in every science book and Genetics book I have ever come across, they always wrote about it as a genetic trait passed down from parents to children. I don't remember tough if it's a dominant or recessive trait.:rolleyes:

Jing
May 6th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Widow's peaks are awesome. I wish I had one.

Micayla47
May 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM
oh i'm jealous. i love widows peaks, especially on dark hair. rita hayworth had an excellent widows peak.