PDA

View Full Version : I'm losing hope. :(

CaityBear
June 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Originally my goal was only classic (I should've left it at that...) but then it changed to knee. My plan was to cut my hair to chin length once I hit knee and then grow out my natural hair colour. Well now I'm at classic and I've been around classic or so for a long time. My hair doesn't seem to grow anymore. :(

I'm losing hope that my hair will ever be knee length. :( Plus it's so thin. It looks nice only when it's arranged just so that it doesn't look thin. I kind of want to cut my hair all off now...but yet I'm not ready to go short. I'm still enjoying my long hair.

I don't know. I'm really thinking that maybe I'll never be able to reach knee. Maybe classic is the longest my hair will ever get. :(

ETA: I'm not too worried about cutting it. It's been my plan for a long time to cut to chin length because I do love chin length (just no length in between chin and waist haha) it's just the matter of when I feel like making a change. Then I'll be growing out and maintaining around this length again.

xoxophelia
June 12th, 2011, 12:12 AM
From your photos, I think your hair looks fine as it is honestly. Not too thin or anything. Maybe it won't grow further but time will tell.

As you said, you still enjoy your long hair. That is all that matters.

KittyLost
June 12th, 2011, 01:16 AM
How long have you been at classic? You could just be experiencing a stall in growth. I don't think you should cut while you are still enjoying long either. Have you started growing your colour out now? You could use root growth to see how much you are growing.

Sookie
June 12th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Aw don't cut it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Patience..show patience :D Just forget about it and enjoy your hair! Don't make a mistake that you will regret it.....just think that most of the people don't have the strong and healthy hair you have. Think you are unique and enjoy :D

Nymph
June 12th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I also have some sort of stall at classic, don't despair. Maybe it would be good to keep it up for a while, like two weeks, and then take a fresh look. Sometimes when we start to fret and fret over small things we start magnifying imperfections and we forget how great it actually looks...

Panth
June 12th, 2011, 03:47 AM
How often do you wear it up?

I had a 5 year stall between TB and classic due to not wearing it up - my fine hair was literally being worn away before it could ever reach classic. Now I've been wearing it up for about 9 months and, having trimmed back to TB, it's about 2.5" from fingertip (and I have long arms...).

Gabriel
June 12th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hey CaityBear! I don't remember if I've seen you at The Classic to Knee Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34987&page=55). You should stop by there and post if you haven't! We're all growing to knee and it seems to be one of those other landmarks that can take quite a while.

How many years have you been growing to knee?

krissykins
June 12th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I'm sorry, love. :grouphug: Maybe you can stay around classic and thicken up your ends? It might decide to have a growth spurt later on, so don't be discouraged!

RuLueashk
June 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I'm not ready to go short. I'm still enjoying my long hair.

Despair + Chop = Regret

spidermom
June 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
It's pretty rare for hair to grow as long as knee length, I think. But classic is a pretty length on you; I hope you feel a sense of accomplishment from getting there.

celebriangel
June 12th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Do you have *lots* of taper? You may be getting close to terminal.

On the other hand, your hair doesn't look like true terminal at all. Are the ends a bit dry? I know sometimes people with bad ends find they get a growth spurt when they trim. Maybe just the teensiest, tiniest dusting?

It might make you feel better about your ends, too.

ETA: Having seen your profile pic, it doesn't look to me like you're anywhere near terminal. Could you post a more recent photo? It is, however, easier to grow hair with thicker ends, so if I were you I'd follow Cinnamon Hair's example and maintain for some months to thicken up your ends, then push on for more inches.

Your colour - if it is a peroxide colour - could also be limiting your length. I plan at some point in the far future to grow out my henna in favour of future salt-and-pepper hair, and I plan to keep my long hair throughout the process. I know the line of dye will be frustrating, but I think having short hair would be even worse.

Best of luck. I am sure that your hair has more inches in it yet.

Anje
June 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hugs. If nothing else, classic looks really good on you, and from the pictures I see, it's not too thin. I've been maintaining at tailbone since about the end of 2008 hoping to get some more thickness, and I still don't know if it's thick enough for me to make a run for classic, nevermind my dreamed-of knee. I'd like to keep my ends at least pencil-thickness where I secure a braid, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to secure it lower than I do now.

dulce
June 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I looked at your album and it doesn't look thin to me just average thickness.It is lovely,you have my goal length!

CaityBear
June 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Thank you guys. :) I'm feeling better now. I did a half inch trim or so last night so I think that will help a bit since I haven't trimmed in a while. I know around waist I went through an 8 - 12 month stall where my hair did not show any growth. I know right now my hair is growing because I did have roots...it just didn't show in length. I just recently henna'd again to cover my roots. I think I might use the rest of my henna (just ordered 300grams) then start growing out natural colour to cut off. I'm kind of excited to cut off my hair (I was at chin once and loved it) but then after the henna has grown out I do plan on growing it out again anyway. But I'm going to start taking care of my hair early on (last time I didn't start caring until BSL or so) and hope my hair grows better.

And I do wear it up most of the time though now that it's summer I plan on showing it off a bit...but I'll be swimming lots hopefully so I'll have to be careful and take extra good care of my hair. I guess it's time I start thinking of new updos to do as well. :)

Kumiko033
June 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Don't cut it! Atleast not short, maybe try a few inches or go back to BSL ? How long do you think your hair hasn't grown and have you changed something maybe ? Maybe your hair is simply in it's resting phase which can sometimes take a few month's but after that it will go back to regular growth.
Please don't lose faith girl! If you want to get rid of the dye I would simply let a hairdresser colour your hair in your natural colour so it happens slowly. Other then that, your hair it beautiful, don't be so harsh.

SheaLynne
June 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I see you trimmed and are feeling better. I hope you get the growth at the ends that you want.

From looking at your pics, I thought I would mention that your taper looks very similar to mine. A year ago at hip length, I had my best hemline ever, but now even with monthly trims to keep the ends thicker (1/4 of my 3/4-inch growth each month), I have a definite taper in the part from waistlength down to tb. It does make me sad because I would love to have less taper, but I'm going to continue on with the growing and trimming and just see how long it will go, and figure if the thickness is going to move down, it will. I wear up most of the time after doing a 1-year updo challenge, and never heat style or dry. I'm not sure there's much else I could do, so onward and downward it is!

I'm at 40 inches this month, too, so we can be growing buddies!

luthein
June 12th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Don't despair, CaityBear.

I agree with others -- it doesn't look like you've reached terminal yet. And your hair definitely doesn't look thin. My question for you is: for the cut to chin, are you doing it to get rid of henna? Or do you want a change? Whatever you do, do some hair soul-searching before making the chop.

feralnature
June 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Oh I love taper! I love the fairytail/tale look! I have trimmed mine that way on purpose. IMO it looks so much more natural than straight across trims. Just me.

feralnature
June 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM

I agree with others -- it doesn't look like you've reached terminal yet. And your hair definitely doesn't look thin. My question for you is: for the cut to chin, are you doing it to get rid of henna? Or do you want a change? Whatever you do, do some hair soul-searching before making the chop.

Make it the 2 year rule :)

neon-dream
June 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I think your hair is stunning :). Not thin at all in my opinion!!
Keep growing, you'll get there eventually!!

CaityBear
June 12th, 2011, 11:24 PM

It's going to be both. I don't really feel like messing around with chemical dyes trying to match to my natural colour (since I don't really remember what it is) and I really do want to go back to chin for a while. It will be weird getting used to it, but the idea of going short is exciting and I'm excited to start growing again and to do so many updos that I couldn't do when I found them because my hair was too long for them. I know whenever I do cut my hair I will be happy.

Arya
June 13th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I looked at your pictures, and your ends don't look thin at all! They look lovely. I was expecting wispy fairy-tale dry see through hair, but it looks beautiful to me!! Looks nice and thick all the way down.

I also have to say that I absolutely love your colour. I usually don't like a burgundy henna but you have like...anime hair. In real life. That's awesome. I'll be very sad when you cut it.