PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made crock-pot shampoo bars?

shikara
June 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hmm, it sounded interesting, and quite simple and quick. I googled homemade shampoo bars because I was trying to find info on ingredients or whether I wanted to add anything to the lather mine made, and came across it. Just wondering if anyone here does this.

krissykins
June 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I haven't ever made hot-process shampoo bars, but I did make some cold-process ones. The CP shampoo bars last a lot longer (this is the method that Ida at CV uses for her bars). They turned out really well, but I haven't used them because I'm still trying to figure out how to stop my hair from shedding :p

Dizzy_zzz
June 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Are you going to make them from scratch with lye in the crockpot, or use melt-and-pour soap? By the way, thanks for starting this thread, I've been meaning to try making shampoo bars too!

DoubleCrowned
June 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Do you have a recipe for us to try?

shikara
June 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Well, as far as whether I want to use lye or melt-and-pour, I'm not sure because I don't yet know what the make-up of melt-and-pour is??? Maybe someone here will know!

The method (and the following recipe) was found on skincarenaturals.com, but I don't necessarily want to go with the same ingredients - I want to find out a little more about what other choices may be (I'm not interested in the Hempseed for example, and am wondering what options there are to the Olive oil. I understand if your hair is on the dry side, coconut oil can be replaced with something else, although I suspect the dryness my hair has may well disappear with a couple more uses of the bar I bought today) Here goes:

3 oz canola oil
12 oz castor oil
14 oz coconut oil
2 oz hempseed oil
2 oz jojoba oil
11 oz olive oil
16 oz liquid - water or ie chamomile tea
6 oz lye
.8 oz essential oil

Mix lye and water and set aside in safe place. Melt oils in crockpot (this confuses me - I guess oils can be bought in hard form? I've only seen the bottles......:confused:) Mix lye water into the oils in the crockpot. Cover and cook for one hour. Stir as needed. Pour into molds. Voila!!

Sheesh, I wonder how much this would make?

krissykins
June 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Some oils, like coconut oil, may be hardened; those are the oils you want to melt before mixing with the lye. You want the lye and oils to be near the same temperature.

This link may help for anyone who wants to make their own shampoo bar recipe: http://soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp