PDA

View Full Version : Switching to shampoo bars - adjustment period...

shikara
June 11th, 2011, 04:56 PM
My hair is still damp from my first ever shampoo bar (I still can't figure out what 'cleaned' it because other than water, it seems to be all oils - guess I'll be googling a bit!!). I understand that for the first week or so, there may be an adjustment period where your hair is tending toward strawlike, but that after that, your hair may well be healthy, soft, and manageable. Was there an adjustment period for you? What were the problems? What did you do/use that worked?

CarpeDM
June 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
When I switched over to CV shampoo bars I didn't personally have any adjustment periods, although I've read that others have in the giant shampoo bar thread. For me my hair just felt slightly waxy the first couple of times I washed it with a shampoo bar when it was wet and then once it was dry it didn't feel that way. After a couple of washings it no longer felt waxy and it was never strawlike or dry. I've been using shampoo bars now for about 9 months without any issues and I love them!!

kyandii
June 11th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I had no adjustment period with shampoo bars.
I hadn't even realised it could happen

Mairéad
June 11th, 2011, 05:25 PM
The oils in soaps are saponifed with lye. That's how it cleans your hair. :)

When I used them I didn't have an adjustment period but I did need to use ACV rinses and still preferred to use conditioner on my ends as well.

Dizzy_zzz
June 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I used a shampoo bar a few times only. Only a few times because I never had a dry, transitioning period, rather, it made my hair extremely greasy looking. But so soft. :(

HoneyJubilee
June 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
My first shampoo bars were from Lush. They're 'cone-free but have sulfates. I was previously using Pantene or Frizz-Ease products (lots of 'cones), and I went through an adjustment period that lasted maybe a week or so. My hair was weirdly sticky feeling and horrible to try to comb out during that time. After the transition period my hair was softer and much easier to comb and not quite as flat/limp.

I haven't tried my Chagrin Valley bars yet, so I don't know if I will have another adjustment period to go through with those. I just "inherited" several bars because DBF ordered them but decided he doesn't like them :D

shikara
June 11th, 2011, 06:47 PM
By the way, my hair is dry now, and when I went to twist it into my cinnabun, I swear the twist was much much thicker....:D

Regan
June 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I've been using CV bars for my past 3 washings and I haven't had any issues. I have been doing vinegar rinses, though.

Cheeks1206
June 11th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I never had an adjustment period, but when I started using the shampoo bars I was only washing twice per week. Although my hair have never been "straw-like", I do need to use conditioner still. My hair is MUCH more manageable and nicer looking when I use conditioner.

Lilli
June 12th, 2011, 07:51 AM
You will likely have a transition period if you were using something that coats the hair like silicones. To prevent any waxy or sticky feeling, try an acid rinse. I prefer lemon juice in filtered water, not rinsed, but I have blonde hair so I don't mind if it is lightened. I also continue to use conditioner.

Copasetic
June 12th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I never had an adjustment period with shampoo bars, nor did I need an acid rinse afterwards to prevent that grimey feeling. I think it might depend on what kind of shampoo bar you use. I noticed that a lot of people here use something called Chagrin Valley (not sure if that is the exact name) but I used a shampoo bar from a company called the Soap Works.

HoneyJubilee
June 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM
You will likely have a transition period if you were using something that coats the hair like silicones. To prevent any waxy or sticky feeling, try an acid rinse. I prefer lemon juice in filtered water, not rinsed, but I have blonde hair so I don't mind if it is lightened. I also continue to use conditioner.
I've tried apple cider vinegar rinses but I never thought to try lemon juice.
What lemon to water ratio do you use? And do you use fresh or bottled lemon juice?

Lilli
June 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I've tried apple cider vinegar rinses but I never thought to try lemon juice.
What lemon to water ratio do you use? And do you use fresh or bottled lemon juice?

I use the juice of half a lemon in a sports-drink bottle full of filtered water. I don't rinse it out b/c we have hard water.

AuburnTresses
June 14th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I've been trying a shampoo bar but don't like how my hair turns out - greasy (especially on top) and very waxy. It makes me miss my smooth, clean hair. What can I do? ACV rinse just seems to make it worse.

curlsgalore
June 14th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I've used shampoo bars for a couple of years now, once to twice a week and never had an adjustment period. My hair loved them from the beginning. I do an ACV rinse every once in a great while. I still use conditioner along with the shampoo bars. I alternate between shampoo bars and CO washing. My favorites are Chagrin Valley and applevalleynaturals. I willl eventually try some sweetcreekherb ones.

shikara
June 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I've been trying a shampoo bar but don't like how my hair turns out - greasy (especially on top) and very waxy. It makes me miss my smooth, clean hair. What can I do? ACV rinse just seems to make it worse.

Hi AuburnTresses1 How long have you been using the shampoo bars? I find it interesting (happily so) that most responses here have not had to endure an adjustment period. My initial reading up on it (outside of LHC) mentioned that it can be expected that it may take up to using it a few times before that feeling you describe goes away, after which your hair will be very soft and manageable. Another thing is whether you have hard water (which I do), in which case you might want to try an ACV rinse or a lemon rinse after, which is supposed to rinse out what hard water won't. Today will be my second use. I will lather up twice, as it suggests (I understand shampoo bars are fairly gentle), but if I get that feeling again, may just try once next time.

young&reckless
June 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I have to lather twice and use a acv rinse to get really good results.

okiesarah
June 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM
So far I've only had issues with the bars I tried that had coconut oil in them, I'd end up with random greasy spots in my hair. I switched to some coconut oil free ones and it's much better now. But besides the greasies, I never had weird waxy hair like some people have mentioned. I think it's important that you clarify well first in case there's something still hanging onto your hair from your old regimen.

Mannaz
June 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I didn't have an adjustment period either. I've been using a shampoo bar (it's a Finnish brand) for a couple months now. The only problem I've had is that sometimes the length of my hair leaves a bit oily and piece-y, but I think that's because it's hard for me to be generous with the shampoo after so long time of avoiding the stuff... But the top of my head has been very clean after every wash.

Usually I do an ACV rinse which my hair seems to need or it get's dry and tangled. Sometimes I use conditioner as well, and a little home-made leave in from a mister bottle.

I hope you get your shampoo bar to work, I really like using them because it's good for my hair and scalp and also I love the fact that they aren't bad for the environment.

kitty_did
June 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
After reading this thread this morning, I decided to put out one of my sample bars from CV. I had tried previously with a bar and had a bad case of the waxies and just plain yucky coated feeling hair. Anyway, after my hair dried this morning, my hair feels great. I'm not sure if was because of different bar or technique or that I've slowly tried to moved away from conventional, heavy artificial products over the last year or so. Whatever the reason, I got nice results. I may have to continue with the bars. :)