PDA

View Full Version : Anyone condition ends before washing?

Kristamommyx3
June 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM
.....more specifically, I rinse my hair to wet it, then I condition the length, and leave it in. Next, I shampoo the roots and then rinse it all out together. My mother has been using this technique for years, and I tried it out today and my hair seems to really like it. CWC was too much conditioner for my fine hair. Before LHC, I never conditioned, and so now I'm experimenting to try to keep my length conditioned without making my roots limp over moisturized. Just curious if anyone else has tried this and what they experienced? :)

DTsgirl
June 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
When I remember.

MissManda
June 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I've never tried the specific technique you're describing, but I can see how it would work well. The technique I use is similar, but modified for my CO routine. :)

When my hair is feeling particularly icky or dry, I will wet it down first, apply conditioner as if I were CO-washing like I normally do, cover it up with plastic wrap and a towel and let it sit for an hour or so. Then I hop in the shower and rinse it out at the very end, maybe doing another CO-wash if I really feel like I need it. The softness and moisture I achieve is so lovely!

I also like to condition my hair with coconut oil before a wash. I heavily oil my hair and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. It doesn't seem to be as awesome as letting normal conditioner sit on my hair, though, so I prefer it as a leave-in.

Krentje
June 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I do this. I thought it was what was meant by CW-washing and fairly common? Or maybe i understood it wrong. Anyways, good it works for you (and me)!

PianoPlaye
June 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting - I've fine hair & CWC without too much fuss, but maybe I'm rinsing the conditioner out at the end...

Love this community - you can ask one question get eight answers and experiment to get the one that works for your hair! Previously I wandered in darkest ignorance. Now I wander in information, awaiting the nerve to apply it. :o
Interesting to read conditioner may sink in better than oil -definitely an experiment to try, as my nerve keeps giving at the seal on the olive oil bottle!

Kristamommyx3
June 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I live on the coast in Tampa Bay, FL, so it's really, really humid here 9 months out of the year on top of the scorching heat. That's probably why it's just too much...it's already cruddy hair weather here most of the year. Grrr. :p

Interesting - I've fine hair & CWC without too much fuss, but maybe I'm rinsing the conditioner out at the end...

Love this community - you can ask one question get eight answers and experiment to get the one that works for your hair! Previously I wandered in darkest ignorance. Now I wander in information, awaiting the nerve to apply it. :o
Interesting to read conditioner may sink in better than oil -definitely an experiment to try, as my nerve keeps giving at the seal on the olive oil bottle!

McFearless
June 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
When I used shampoo before CO washing, I'd do that with oil on the ends.

RubyEmpress
June 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I just did this tonight for my wash. I conditioned the length with VO5 strawberry moisture milks conditioner (left it in), diluted shampoo and washed crown. Then I rinsed everything out of my hair. I finished with an ACV rinse and rinsed it out with cold water. My hair feels very soft and not overly moisturized or dry at all!

Kristamommyx3
June 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Yay! I'm so glad it worked for you! :cheese:

I just did this tonight for my wash. I conditioned the length with VO5 strawberry moisture milks conditioner (left it in), diluted shampoo and washed crown. Then I rinsed everything out of my hair. I finished with an ACV rinse and rinsed it out with cold water. My hair feels very soft and not overly moisturized or dry at all!

LoversLullaby
June 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Sometimes I do if my ends are particularly dry, except I do it on dry hair.

Alun
June 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I sometimes do CWC where the first condition is using oil or VO5 on the ends, and find it works well, but seldom can be bothered to go to that much trouble.

Mrspuddinhead
June 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I've never tried that.Though I might give it a try and see if you don't mind. :) I tried CO washes for two months and I just could not get rid of the greasy look. I tried different conditioners, I tried leaving it on different amounts of time, I tried watering it down, with or without ACV rinses, everything..... and it just didn't work for me. I'm now back to washing the roots with shampoo while using VO5 conditioner and ASV on my length and ends. My hair seems to like this really well. I can now skip two days between washes, no greasy scalp which makes me a very happy woman.

Chiara
June 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
This is pretty much what I do... if its dry weather, I'll use a leave in while my hair is damp. I find my hair shows buildup from waxes etc very easily, so this works well.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
the CWC method has been a savior to my hair, it really has!! If I didn't CWC, my ends would be like hay! shudder:

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
My routine:

Wash hair maybe 3 times in 2 weeks like this...

Soak my ends in lots of coconut oil (handfuls) prior to washing, any length of time I can (I don't use olive oil, it is too heavy for my fine hair).

Shampoo crown with dilute shampoo

Rinse

Apply condish to length, avoiding crown

Rinse with cool water and try not to get all of the condish out, leave some on length.

Wide tooth comb and air dry. :)

jacqueline101
July 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
I havent tried the cwc I might have to. It sounds like it would work. I do a vinegar pre rinse. I shampoo and condition and I work the tangles out with my wide tooth comb. after I get done doing this I spray a light mist of my own oil blend on my whole head. I pony tail and let it air dry.

QueenJoey
July 3rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
I used to do that, makes showering go by much faster. I prefer CWC now since my hair is pretty dry.

spidermom
July 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Yes. Sometimes my hair goes unusually limp, and that is when I condition length then wash scalp, rinse, and skip the second conditioner to length.

CurlAhead
July 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
What is CWC? :o

Leoneska
July 3rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I use this method too! I always thought it was referred to as "hybrid wash"?!

Jeni
July 3rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Condition wash condition

I CWC by getting my hair wet, applying conditioner to the length then using shampoo on the scalp, rinse everything out then add more conditioner to the length the rinse it out.

I believe the idea is the first conditioner application protects the length from shampoo run off (and add moister of course) then the second conditioner app adds more moister. It works well for me as I have to wash my hair daily because of oily scalp but my ends are on the dry side.

HTH