PDA

View Full Version : Layers: Should I?

PiroskaCicu
June 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Should I get layers? I feel like my BSL all one length hair is really weighing me down. It doesn't feel pretty to me, it just feels like it sort of hangs there. I would like to keep the length, but to just give it some shorter layers. I have a very defined nose and it can make me look a bit "harsh". I think layers would soften my face and take away from the defined nose. I think I looked best with chin/shoulder length hair because my face had a nice "soft" appearance. I still love long hair though, so I think shorter layers might give the illusion of short bouncy hair. Does that make sense? :P

I found a layered hairstyle that I think looks very cute. Here is a photo : http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk228/_peacefulwarrior/222954_10150179331123750_504198749_6843469_6621526 _n.jpg

My hair is wavier than hers, but it's easily made straight (by combing). I just love that look and I think it would look good on me. Of course it would not be as short as that, but the idea of it is still there. I think it looks fun and fresh.

What do you think?

bunzfan
June 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I say no because i know from experience that if your hairs are fine like mine it can actually make your hair look thin, i know that makes no sense but there you go:p

PiroskaCicu
June 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I say no because i know from experience that if your hairs are fine like mine it can actually make your hair look thin, i know that makes no sense but there you go:p

Thanks for your reply bunzfan! :)
I think maybe my problem is that my hair looks 'too thick' and poofy at times.

Pantha
June 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I think I understand what you mean, you want some layers so as it will frame your face at the front but want to keep your length at the same time. As long as its not too layerd or else I can see what Bunzfan means, your hair can then apear thin, but you could always opt for a kind of long sideways type of fringe/bangs, then you will have the bounce around your face but don't take too much away from the back, plus then you can get proper layers later if you still want them.

I think you should do whatever will make you enjoy your hair, afterall its no good having all that hair if you don't like it. Hope it makes you happy whatever you choose.

KittyLost
June 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM
If you think layers will make you happy then go for it :) it's a nice change and it's a great way to change your hair whilst still growing without losing too much length. If you don't like it then you can always grow them out.

I think layers are best for if you like to wear your hair down a lot as they can become a pain when trying to do updos as pesky pieces of hair fly out. Also layers may bring your waves out more, so you can always experiment with that.

tinywife
June 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I would say invoke the two-week rule, then if you still want layers, go for it. BUT I will add this caveat: make sure you find an "inspiration picture" of layers where the hair has the same waviness as yours. Waves can look really gorgeous with layers, but if you try to imitate the style of someone with a different hairtype it never turns out well. I know that one from experience!

Merlin
June 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I'd vote no, just because your hair looks gorgeous without them!

But you're not there to decorate my world, so if you want them I'd say go ahead :-)

PiroskaCicu
June 11th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the advice!

bunzfan
June 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I think I understand what you mean, you want some layers so as it will frame your face at the front but want to keep your length at the same time. As long as its not too layerd or else I can see what Bunzfan means, your hair can then apear thin, but you could always opt for a kind of long sideways type of fringe/bangs, then you will have the bounce around your face but don't take too much away from the back, plus then you can get proper layers later if you still want them.

I think you should do whatever will make you enjoy your hair, afterall its no good having all that hair if you don't like it. Hope it makes you happy whatever you choose.

I totally agree on the updo front i always wear my hair up so the layers drove me crazy its much easier now they are much much longer.

I would also suggest if you do go for some go for long layers as some mad stylist did short layers on me and the result wasn't pretty:(

dulce
June 11th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Pretty pic BUT you can't do any updos and it would be a pain if you decided to grow it out,just my opinion.

pepperminttea
June 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Two week rule - but, I'd say long face framing layers would be a nice idea. :) Nothing too major, and long enough that you could grow them out again easily enough (and pin them back on those 'bleh' days). Then even with the rest of your hair up it'd give the illusion of that chin/shoulder region haircut that you like. :D

xoerincolleen
June 11th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I think you should go for it! Just be very clear to the stylist what you want. The last time I got my hair trimmed I asked for long layers and the girl gave me some pretty weird looking layers that I didn't like and am still growing out.
You will still be able to do updos with layers, you just might need a few extra pins.

UltraBella
June 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
At BSL you aren't doing any of the complicated buns so it should be fairly easy to put up, even with layers. I personally love layers with a passion and think they can take a boring cut from yawn to WOW without losing length.
I am a total enabler - I say go for it !

turtlelover
June 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Maybe you could just start w/ some face framing blended layers right in the front around your face but keep it blunt in the back. You could always add more layering to the back if you decided to do that later.

Joliebaby
June 11th, 2011, 11:35 AM
You could do just face-framing layers, and leave the bulk of the hair alone. So that it will give a softer shape around your face.

krissykins
June 11th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Go for it! I love my layers. Plus I think they'd be cute on you :)

And you do not have a harsh nose! It is a pretty nose!

Arya
June 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I don't find that long layers keep me from updos...it's the slipperiness/weight/tendency to spit out pins, that my hair has. :D I have F/M hair that's waist length with bsl layers in a V hemline, with thick bangs. If I braid wet, my layers don't pop out at all.

I do think the cut you showed there can easily go wrong, I'd be careful about it. It can easily be turned into a mullet by an inexperienced hair dresser.
I have visions of this happening to you: my grandma gave my sister a cut like this in the early nineties. I believe there was some figure skater girl who popularized it...but it was a monstrosity...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-_bH4gCAiiLo/SjVlfTvJxQI/AAAAAAAAAQs/6mwIFt4aSsA/s720/IMG_1648.JPG

^ avoid at all costs!

Deborah
June 11th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I vote NO because your hair is so much prettier than the girl's you show as your 'goal.' Why step down? Maybe you are just hot due to higher temps. In that case, wear buns a lot - heat issue solved.

(Of course, do whatever makes YOU happy. But you did ask for opinions.)

Sunny_side_up
June 11th, 2011, 01:33 PM
If it means you enjoy your hair more then go for it, but like people have said, wait a little until you are sure. i was evening up my hair gradually,then went for layers (hair was shoulder) and after a couple weeks was thinking i'm gonna grow these layers out!:p

I felt like wearing my hair down more with layering, its pretty much evened out now and looking a bit thicker, when i wear it out now (approaching apl) i feel it needs some movement!!! I also don't do many kinds of updo and the idea of layers are creeping up on me again:eyebrows: I am waiting it out and its quite likely i'm heading for layers but on my longer length. Though bsl is my goal, so maybe when i'm there i'll get it thinned out. Thinking about washing in winter sends shivers down my spine. I have to wash regularly, as my work environment is yucky. My hair is not thick but layering to me means more maneagability and swishy wavy movement when i wear it out:)

celebriangel
June 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't go for the cut in the pic - not if you don't plan to straighten every day.

Layers all through the hair are a pain in the ass. They make my fine, voluminous hair *more* poofy.

However, I totally feel you on the harshness of the face with one-length hair. Perhaps some layers but ONLY around the face? I think that would be really nice. Then, if you still want layers in the rest of your hair, you can still get them cut in.

jojo
June 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I am personally not a fan of layers to be honest, though they look great in really thick hair. However, in my hair which naturally thins the longer it gets it just makes my ends look wispy and even thinner. Layers do add body and movement but they can be a pain with updo's and braids.

The choice is yours but id think very carefully as they are also a nightmare to grow out.

beccababesx
June 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Well from someone growing it out from a style very similar to that - it's been 4 years and I'm still going, and trust me, it looks HIDEOUS growing out.
Consider getting some longer layers to begin with - those will only take a year or so to grow out. If you live those, then maybe get some heavier ones.
I would say dollow the two week rule, and try different oils, CO washes, maybe even cones, to make your hair feel 'less poofy', before you cut, and if you still want them after that, then go for it :)

dulce
June 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I have layers from apl all the way to to waist,what a pain.So many hairdos I can't do and forget about braids of any sort!I'm growing out my layers now.What about a very thin fringe of bangs,that softens the facial look and on hot days since it's very thin,it brushes back easily with hair to look like no bangs when you want that look.Anyway that's what I'm doing and now, I regret all my layers[loved them when my hair was much shorter] but it will take me a year or two to grow it all out. As my hair grew, the layers made my hemline look thin and straggly,those of you with super thick hair won't have this problem but at a ii with fine hair , my longer layered hair has to have my hemline washed and fluffed each day-if I wet or oil the ends you can see how thin my hemline really is.Also I found as my hair grew and my layers grew my layers would stick out at oddball angles. In the end think carefully as layers are a long term investment-they don't disappear overnite once you decide you don't want them anymore. But there are several of you who answered this question who have wavy thick hair with layers and you look gorgeous!!! So layers work better for some than others.I think the texture and thickness is a big determinent on whether it is for you or not.

dulce
June 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Also the length matters ,in my opinion, layers look best with shoulder to mid back.At waist and longer unless you have very thick hair it can look straggly.

McFearless
June 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
You could always just try face framing layers and avoid cutting layers into the crown.

LoversLullaby
June 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Layers on some hair can look really nice while the hair is down (except if they're done totally wrong) but can make it extremely difficult sometimes if you're trying to create a tidy updo.
If the thought of not being able to do updos that look neat, then layers would probably look cool. As always though, invoke the two week rule. :) If you do decide to get them, I know we'd all love to see pics!!! :D

xoxophelia
June 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I would vote no because it will break up your wave pattern which is very loose so you will no longer be able to see any "S". Also, I'm not so sure how that cut would look with the longest layer being to BSL while the bulk is around jaw to just below jaw length.

Allychan
June 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
My daughter has thick wavy hair like yours. She wanted a fringe so we compromised and I cut chunky layers into the front of her hair. We followed the #1 rule no layers shorter than the chin. It looks awesome on her and the thick layers frame her face nicely. We used the Creaclip
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x476/Allychan1/RThairside.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x476/Allychan1/RThairfront.jpg

ericthegreat
June 11th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I don't find that long layers keep me from updos...it's the slipperiness/weight/tendency to spit out pins, that my hair has. :D I have F/M hair that's waist length with bsl layers in a V hemline, with thick bangs. If I braid wet, my layers don't pop out at all.

I do think the cut you showed there can easily go wrong, I'd be careful about it. It can easily be turned into a mullet by an inexperienced hair dresser.
I have visions of this happening to you: my grandma gave my sister a cut like this in the early nineties. I believe there was some figure skater girl who popularized it...but it was a monstrosity...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-_bH4gCAiiLo/SjVlfTvJxQI/AAAAAAAAAQs/6mwIFt4aSsA/s720/IMG_1648.JPG

^ avoid at all costs!

Gahhhhhhhh!!! :scared:

I hope that girl was in the middle of getting an asymmetrical bob that she actually intended to have!

To answer the OP, I think layers would look great as long as you only get the face framing kind and you leave the length in the back alone. If you layer too much, you would then have the opposite situation where your hair will feel too thin.

PiroskaCicu
June 11th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the advice and responses! I didn't use the 2 week rule because in reality, I had been thinking about doing this for a WHILE now, so I finally went ahead and did it today!

Here is my new hair! The longest layers are still BSL (yay!). It's just much prettier in my opinion. I love it so much and I'm so happy about my hair.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7140&pictureid=105075

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7140&pictureid=105076

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/249798_10150198389277749_681062748_7095997_2062887 _n.jpg

ericthegreat
June 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Wow PiroskaCicu! The layers you have just cut in frame your face beautifully! Your hair is still long and the layers are not too short or severe at all, they blend perfectly with the bottom length. I also love the bangs you have. :)

JuliaDancer
June 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I had BSL hair for many years with layers, and it looked great! That's a good length for layers, as long as they're light layers, not too thick and choppy. Make sure most of the shorter layers are around the face, and that they are longer on the back. Too short layers in the back with long layers coming out underneath look mullet-ish... :)

JuliaDancer
June 11th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Never mind! Didn't read all the posts. Glad you went with the layers, they look great!

Hylia
June 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I personally would never get layers again since they are so hard and annoying to grow out, and for my hair it did make it look a lot thinner and in turn unhealthy because every bit of damage showed.

Sundial
June 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
The layers look pretty good on you ;) They seem to give your hair more movement and frames your face better than your previous one-length style

pixiestar
June 12th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I was going to say go with face framing layers, but you have and it looks amazing:D

SilvraShadows
June 12th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Wow, you lucked out! Whoever did your hair created a beautiful style. Perfect!

katsrevenge
June 12th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Layers work best in really thick hair with a lot of body/curl to it. Long layers in thinner hair are OK.. but it is really easy to make a mistake and get a mullet! (since the thinner straighter hair is not as forgiving. I can and have hacked at mine and it looked awesome after wards. The curl hides mistakes well.)

And.. that haircut... eh. I knew a girl who had one like it in college. It was a lot of razor-ed shorter layers and needed a lot of product to look good. Her hair was also stick straight and thin. If you do decide to get it, find some really good pictures from a bunch of angles so the hairdresser doesn't razor you into mullet land..

EDIT, didn't read whole thread. That looks pretty good. :)

KittyLost
June 12th, 2011, 01:09 AM
That looks great! It frames perfectly and you haven't lost length! I'm glad you're pleased with your hair.

UltraBella
June 12th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I love it !!!! Layers are the bomb !!! :cheese::cheese::cheese:
Did I mention how much I really like it ? :D

TheBluffs
June 12th, 2011, 01:21 AM
My vote is no. You are going to have a lot of problems with updoo's (provided that you do them), and braids.
But, do what ever you feel will make you happy. :)

|Xei
June 12th, 2011, 01:30 AM
That cut looks absolutely adorable! It really suits you :)

PiroskaCicu
June 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Thank you for the comments, everyone! :) :flower:

I'm really happy with how my hair turned out. I feel like dancing =P

Sunny_side_up
June 12th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Looks great! Suits you and they hang really nicely plus you still have good length:)