PDA

View Full Version : Damage help! Ghassoul (Rhassoul) VS Herbs (Indian or otherwise)

NaiadOreiad
June 11th, 2011, 01:53 AM
So I have been washing with ghassoul for a while now and I still have a large box to go through, but I am noticing some hairs I have (literally like.. a few individual strands) are feeling ...thick and coarse. When i hold my normal hairs up to the light, normally it is a medium/fine strand with a gradual change of colour towards the ends. The hair feels smooth. If there is damage it is usually apparent as a light patch along the hair, and I can feel the damage.

When I come across these coarse hairs, they have the feeling of damage scattered throughout, yet they aren't broken and they are thicker than my other hairs.

Could this be damage or just rogue hair types?

Also, could the ghassoul be causing this? I really like the way it cleans my hair but if it is causing damage i would like to stop. I like the way henna makes my hair feel, but it makes my roots too dark. Are there any herbs that would give me the same clean feeling without the damage?

EmiliaF
June 11th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Hey :)

I have tried Ghassoul a few weeks ago and only washed twice before my scalp was starting to hurt and my hair felt really bad. I googled and found somewhere (unfortunately I can't remember where) that the particles like silica can have very sharp edges, which can cause tiny little cuts in the skin... That is exactly what my scalp felt like. Once I saw that and that matched what my scalp felt like I thought that I don't even want to know what it's doing to my hair. I was worried I had already done permanent damage but after a week of oil shampoo and now BS/ACV it's back to normal.

Kaelee
June 11th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Emilia your reply makes me wince...what is in that stuff??

Naiad I have hairs like that too, I think they're just rogue hair types. *lol* they're like...really thick, very dark and a little...kinky right?

NaiadOreiad
June 11th, 2011, 04:34 AM
exactly! I have been using the ghassoul for almost a year now.... if its just a rogue type then I won't worry lol.

EmiliaF
August 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Just wanted to give an update:

I have tried ghassoul again, because i had this entire box sitting there. I tried it on my skin first and it worked great (much better than normal shower gel etc.) and I didn't get this burning sensation mentioned in post #2, so I decided to also try it again on my hair.

The first time I tried it, I mixed it with water in a cup and basically poured it over my head. Now I just put some dry ghassoul on my hair, leave it for a moment and then slowly add some water before rinsing it. Maybe with the first method, the mix was too heavy and the majority ended up on my scalp where it was very drying. I don't know. The second method works much better.

Just wanted to add this in case someone looks for ghassoul as shampoo and is discouraged by my first post.
I like it very much now :)