PDA

View Full Version : Preventing damage?

CurlsInTheWind
June 11th, 2011, 12:07 AM
So I am joining the Marine Corps and leave for boot camp soon, but I am stressing about damage during the 13 weeks I will be gone. The rules are strict and I am not allowed to bring anything with me that is essentially not already on my back. I must buy everything from the store there, but from what I have heard they only have one type of 2 in 1 (Pert I think). I don't use shampoo my hair gets mad at me when I do. How do I prevent damage when I have not only nothing to protect my hair?

frizzinator
June 11th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Do the WO (Water Only) method of hair care.

Avital88
June 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Ahhh that's awful. So there is not any chance you can even take a small bottle of conditioner? Or a mini vacation bottle?so you can at least moisture your hair a bit. Well good luck with it! Your hair will probably grow alot too in that 13 active weeks,i would look forward to that and neglect the hair if thats the only thing possible.

CurlsInTheWind
June 11th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Its quite sad actually, if it were any other branch, this would not be a problem (except for the navy they cut your hair *shudder*). I am seriously considering trying to see how many metal free elastics I can fit into my bun. I go through about 3 a week under normal conditions.

Gabriel
June 11th, 2011, 05:20 AM
You could empty the bottle of 2 in 1 and fill it with conditioner instead. You're going to be taking showers at the speed of light though, so just keep that in mind if it takes you a while to rinse it out.

homeeduk8tor
June 11th, 2011, 05:27 AM
My husband was in the Marine Corps and they are strict, indeed. I don't know that the W/O method would be ideal under the extremes you are about to endure. Plus, I know that there is a transition phase where the hair becomes really greasy looking from the oil and I'm not sure the DI's will appreciate this on a new recruit. One thing that a Marine can be disciplined for is not looking good in uniform.

I love the idea of putting as many hair toys in your bun as you can. I think that is great! Also, maybe you could get the shampoo from the store and dilute it way down. No on said you had to use it full strength, right? Right! What is your current method of cleaning your hair?

When my husband gets home from work I'll ask him if he has and advice! I'll subscribe to your thread so I can get back to you. Congrats on being accepted to the Corps and thanks for being willing to serve.

Madora
June 11th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I don't know how strict your regime will be, but if you can possibly keep your hair covered with something, you'll help cut down on the dust and stuff getting in to your hair.

If you can, brush it daily too. Good luck!

Mesmerise
June 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Honestly, if you are wearing it in a bun every day, I doubt it will suffer from TOO much damage, even with a yucky 2 in 1 shampoo being the only thing on offer! I would (as has been suggested) see if you can dilute the sampoo at least 50:50 with water, and try not to wash every day (I suppose it depends how dirty it gets from training etc).

IanB
June 11th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Wash with water and condition with a (very little) coconut or olive oil rubbed in the palms first then gently massaged into locks, but again a VERY small amount is needed. Good luck

Peggy E.
June 11th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I'm betting that at the end of a day of hard training, your hair ain't gonna be your number one concern - the screaming body will be drowning out the complaining mane! :o(

That said, remember it is not forever. Is there only a 2-in-1 available, or can you get a shampoo or conditioner separate? If you're wearing a bun, then pulling it back in a sleek, close to the head bun won't look so much like your hair is only water-only, if this is how you decide to go and are concerned about the possible "greasy" appearance.

Curious that Pert has the account, though, but that's a whole new can of beans....

Good luck to you and, seriously, don't worry too much about your hair. It's going to be fine. What hurts it the most is rough combing and tearing - but if you have it in a bun all the time, it will be kept nice and safe!

lacefrost
June 11th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I second what IanB said with the olive oil. If you guys are expected to cook at all, use olive oil. I use quite a bit because my curls drink it up even with conditioner.

ETA: you will be wearing your hair up quite a bit, I imagine so damp bunning will help quite a lot!