PDA

View Full Version : Chop Sticks as Hair Sticks?

dmarie63
June 10th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Do you think they're sturdy enough? Are they pretty much interchangeable? I ask because I say these AWESOME star wars themed chopsticks, and I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have lightsabers in my hair?

So yea, just wondering if anyone has tried to substitute hair sticks with chop sticks before, and if the quality tends to be similar...

Liave Ekeli
June 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I think chopsticks have been the first pair of hairsticks for many people here, including me. In my experience they work just fine, but some may need to be sharpened and/or sanded down not to snag the hair.

Btw, I have a pair of those SW chopsticks (Darth Vader lightsabers) - I've used them as hairsticks without any problem :D They're plastic, though, so I try to be careful when inserting them, just so they don't break. There's a little bit of give in them, but mine haven't snapped yet, and I've used them to hold a bun on their own, without any other pins.

The SW lightsaber chopsticks have been discussed here before, if my memory serves me... If you do a search, you could probably dig up the thread(s). Let's just say there are plenty of longhaired geeks in here ;)
ETA: Here's one of those threads
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31189

luthein
June 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
My hair isn't incredibly thick or long, so I use chopsticks without a problem. There's a YT video of a woman's process, somewhere. I can outline the basic steps:

Trim them down to the length you want, then make the points with a pencil sharpener. Sand the whole thing down and paint them with lacquer to strengthen them up and protect from snags. I only use these sticks for dry-buns. You could also try stains and nail polish.

The lightsaber chopsticks as hairsticks sounds awesome!

dmarie63
June 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
My local comic book store has packages for sale with two lightsaber sets in each package :)

Marz Hase
June 10th, 2011, 07:24 PM
My Darth Vader chopsticks have to be my favoritest hair sticks ever! I actually only have ONE pair of real hair sticks... everything else in my toy drawer are varieties of chopsticks. They serve me well, especially until I can branch out and buy some nice toys!

I prefer the extra length chopsticks have as well too. :D

Edit: In my blog, you can see my Chinese bun with a plain black chopstick. It's not the best shot in the world, but it works. And those are just cheap black chopsticks from the grocery store. I started out with these kinds of chopsticks... they come in a set of 4, and I've broken 2 sets, but that was due to me being in a rush and not careful with my hair...

umbrellabones
June 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I haven't been able to buy hair sticks yet so I've been using chopsticks. They probably aren't the best but they seem to get the job done. They don't hold well for more than a couple hours for me though.

Macaroni
June 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'll occasionally use chopsticks but for decoration only. My hair is too long and too heavy to depend on a chopstick or two.

GRU
June 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I use child-sized chopsticks all. the. time.

I get them from Asian Ideas (http://asianideas.com/chforkibura.html), and just one will hold all my hair with no problem. Because they are so cheap, I buy them in bulk and they are scattered in every room of my house, next to every couch, by my bed, on my puter desk, in my car, on both desks at my work office..... :D