PDA

View Full Version : Lugol's Iodine experiment

Qamar
June 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
My hair has thinned substantially from thyroid issues, and its gotten worse since I had most of my thyroid removed last August. I read about iodine being applied topically to the scalp to address balding spots caused by alopecia, so I figured I would try it myself as an experiment. I put a teaspoon of Lugol's solution (a strong iodine tincture that can be taken internally) in a spray bottle, diluted it in 3/4 cup of water and added a little vanilla to help kill the strong metallic iodine smell and have been spraying it on my scalp nightly for about six weeks now. Today I noticed that my scalp is all spiky with new growth! Eventually I'll probably back off to three times a week, but so far I'm optimistic about actually getting back some of my thickness so I don't always sunburn my scalp if I go out without either a hat or sunblocking it.

Yippee!

kwaniesiam
June 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Watching this thread...I've had my thyroid removed and my hair is horribly thin now. I've been having some success with castor oil but not quite enough that my hair looks normal yet.

Hotrox
June 10th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hi Qumar, sorry to her that you have been unwell with your thyroid but I'm pleased to see you have found something that is working to get some thickness back. I hope it continues to be successful you you :)

Qamar
June 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
In my case it wasn't so much that my thyroid made me feel ill as the tumour on it was obstucting my airway. The swallowing issues and feeling strangled when I laid down were the main reason I needed surgery to remove most of it. Now I'm having hypothyroid issues, but feel SO much better now that I can breathe and swallow normally.

pelicano
June 11th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Great to hear that you are having some success with it. :) Does the iodine not stain?

Qamar
June 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
It turns my scalp iodine brown when I first spray it on, but five minutes later my scalp has absorbed the colour and is back to normal in colour. Of course, my hair is auburn, so any on the hair itself doesn't show. It might with blonde or silver hair in which case you could substitute decolorized iodine which is clear.