PDA

View Full Version : Help with boyfriend flaky scalp?

agoddess2die4
June 10th, 2011, 02:15 PM
My boyfriend doesn't have long hair, but you guys know so much about hair I decided to ask for help. His hair is usually only and inch or two long, but he has some of the flakiest scalp I have ever seen! He even sometimes gets little patches of skin that come off. Right now he is using the Aussie Moist 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, but he's tried other stuff and it doesn't seem to help. I know he has sensitive skin, he can't use any cleanser on his face and usually uses water only for it, but that's not an option for his hair (to him at least) because it gets greasy easily and is very noticeable with such short hair. Are there any recommended shampoos or treatments you guys could suggest to tame his scalp? He hates it and finds it embarrassing. :(

ETA: he has fine, thin hair if that makes a difference.

perkidanman
June 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM
My boyfriend has this problem too. He started using my shampoo bars and conditioning with ACV like I do, which has helped. When it gets really bad some aloe gel or a SMT will fix it up.

Your results might vary but it's what worked for my boyfriend. Best of luck!

Anje
June 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Might want to check with a dematologist, to be honest. It sounds like Seborrhic Dematitis or something like that, but you should probably rule out eczema and psoriasis too.

Unfortunately, what works seems to vary from person to person. Some people need to keep their scalps extra clean with sulfates to manage that sort of thing, others need to do something like conditioner only washing and even oiling the scalp to keep it calm. Experimentation would probably be wise. To start, I'd do something other than the 2-in-1; I doubt the silicones are helping matters. Perhaps try shampoo bars like what Chagrin Valley makes? They seem to help some people with scalp issues, and my hubby likes them because they plump up his fine thin hair.

Wavelength
June 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Tell him to avoid using 2-in-1's, first of all. Those tend to be pretty harsh on sensitive scalps and they can definitely cause flaking. Does his hair appear dull, and does the oil on his scalp come right back even after he just washed it? If so, it's probably the 2-in-1 that's causing the problem, or at least is a big contributor.

Try him on silicone-free CO washes and follow that up with an ACV or red wine vinegar rinse. It's possible his hair and scalp are being stripped of moisture and the pH is off. CO washes will take care of the moisture issue, and the vinegar rinse will help to re-balance pH.

I did this for a friend of mine (and I mixed up a special CO wash for him with some essential oils added, if you want the recipe just PM me). His scalp got better after 3 washes and now it's pretty much back to normal. :)

agoddess2die4
June 10th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Might want to check with a dematologist, to be honest. It sounds like Seborrhic Dematitis or something like that, but you should probably rule out eczema and psoriasis too.

Unfortunately, what works seems to vary from person to person. Some people need to keep their scalps extra clean with sulfates to manage that sort of thing, others need to do something like conditioner only washing and even oiling the scalp to keep it calm. Experimentation would probably be wise. To start, I'd do something other than the 2-in-1; I doubt the silicones are helping matters. Perhaps try shampoo bars like what Chagrin Valley makes? They seem to help some people with scalp issues, and my hubby likes them because they plump up his fine thin hair.

I didn't think of dermatologist because of it being skin under his hair and I think of it as a hair problem *facepalm*. But I have noticed when his hair is shorter that it can be red, blotchy, and irritated-looking because his hair is thin enough for scalp to be visible.

Tell him to avoid using 2-in-1's, first of all. Those tend to be pretty harsh on sensitive scalps and they can definitely cause flaking. Does his hair appear dull, and does the oil on his scalp come right back even after he just washed it? If so, it's probably the 2-in-1 that's causing the problem, or at least is a big contributor.

Try him on silicone-free CO washes and follow that up with an ACV or red wine vinegar rinse. It's possible his hair and scalp are being stripped of moisture and the pH is off. CO washes will take care of the moisture issue, and the vinegar rinse will help to re-balance pH.

I did this for a friend of mine (and I mixed up a special CO wash for him with some essential oils added, if you want the recipe just PM me). His scalp got better after 3 washes and now it's pretty much back to normal. :)

The shampoo is my fault, one of my old ones that I stopped using because my scalp is too oily for a 2-1 and not washing everyday. He will use whatever I put in front of him and he likes the smell of the Aussie brand. :D I will make sure to take it away and try some of your suggestions.

Wavelength
June 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
The shampoo is my fault, one of my old ones that I stopped using because my scalp is too oily for a 2-1 and not washing everyday. He will use whatever I put in front of him and he likes the smell of the Aussie brand. :D I will make sure to take it away and try some of your suggestions.

Hah, no worries, and 2-in-1's are fine for some people. But I've noticed a trend that if someone has a sensitive scalp, then the 2-in-1 tends to cause more problems over time. They're convenient but not very scalp-friendly.

I agree that the Aussie brand has a great smell though. But my hair does better 'cone-free so I avoid temptation... ;)

Annibelle
June 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM
This sounds just like my dad's psoriasis, especially after you mentioned red patches. My dad has it on most of his body, but when there's a flare-up, it always starts with the head. In fact, even when it doesn't affect the rest of his body, he always has it on his head at varying degrees. Also, was BF's hair ever thicker? My dad's hair thinned a lot when he started showing psoriasis, so his is very visible on his scalp.

ouseljay
June 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
My s.other has had good luck with tea tree oil shampoos for his similarly flaky scalp. Right now he's using Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo and conditioner. It hasn't eliminated the issue, but it has significantly reduced the "snow." Maybe something to try?

celebriangel
June 11th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Oh, DBF has similar issues! The problem is, he's an almost SO guy - which is to say, he washes only once a month or so. Anything I have done to help - scalp oiling so far - has helped for a while, but the flakies (I think SD) have just come back. It takes me a really long time to see what works on him though because he washes his hair so infrequently. He's totally a benign neglect guy, with beautiful shiny dark brown MBL hair.

There's no point in seeing a dermatologist, because even if he gets the stuff, he still won't use it more than once a month! He also doesn't really care about his flakies, since they're not noticeable unless you peer at his scalp. The last thing I got him to try was a clarifying/conefree wash with a vinegar rinse, plus panacea leave-in, and his hair today is *blindingly* shiny. No flakies at the moment, but I don't know how long that will last.

I'm thinking of trying CV bars though - I worry about SLS shampoos, but the SLS-free one isn't anything special - so I might give him one/some too.

GRU
June 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
What worked for me was CO-washing daily with VERY thorough massaging motions in the shower. Once I got it calmed down, I could go to every other day CO-washes if I wanted to.

agoddess2die4
June 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Update: He's been CO for a couple days and it already seems to be helping, a lot less "snow", though if he skips a day it starts up some but not as bad. He's convinced his hair feels greasy though for some reason (I think it's just soft feeling) and is skeptical that conditioner only can clean it. Here's hoping he sticks with and continues to see a difference. Thanks!

Helix
June 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for this thread. My bf had the same problem with flaking. He uses H&S so that helped a little, but he would still get the flakes on his hairline sometimes. I asked him to try taking fish oil in pill form, (this is asking a lot from him as he doesn't care for seafood at all). He actually saw almost no flaking within the first week. I think it made an impression on him b/c I noticed a new bottle in the pantry the other day.

I hope he's game to try CO as well. He's just uses shampoo and somehow isn't bald-headed. I hadn't considered getting him to CO till I saw this thread. It would be less harsh on his scalp methinks.

TinaDenali
June 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
My DH was having this problem and I told him to just stop using anything at all in his hair. So he doesn't shampoo or condition, I've just instructed him to do a light ACV rinse at the end of his showers, and he showers usually twice or three times a week (computer worker - never works up a sweat :P ).

He's been doing this for about a month now and his scalp is improving quite a bit. He's still a bit flaky here and there, but it's not nearly as bad as it was. And his hair isn't greasy at all. It was at first, but I think his scalp has regulated and now it's fine.

Hope that helps!

carmenvanessa
June 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I had very dry and itchy scalp and flaking along the front hairline. At first I tried using shampoo with out SLS but that wasn't enough. I started washing with aubrey organics blue chamomile and acv rinse twice a week and it is really helping my scalp. Hope you find a solution soon.

GRU
June 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Update: He's been CO for a couple days and it already seems to be helping, a lot less "snow", though if he skips a day it starts up some but not as bad. He's convinced his hair feels greasy though for some reason (I think it's just soft feeling) and is skeptical that conditioner only can clean it. Here's hoping he sticks with and continues to see a difference. Thanks!

When the boyfriend isn't around:

Go to Sally's and get a Color Applicator Bottle (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Applicator-Bottle/SBS-265100,default,pd.html).

Put two ounces of water in the bottle.

Add a drop or two of shampoo and a single drop of tea tree oil.

Swirl (don't shake -- too many bubbles) to mix it well.

Put four ounces of conditioner in the bottle. Shake super-duper hard.

Tell him that one of your LHC friends sent you a sample of this special shampoo that she makes and ask him to try it for a couple of weeks.

When the boyfriend agrees that your friend's shampoo works WAY better than the conditioner, it's up to you whether you want to 'fess up or continue to buy the "magical formula shampoo" from your LHC friend. ;)

torrilin
June 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Drag him to a dermatologist anyway. My partner (like Annibel's dad) has psoriasis, and he is often a rather flakey and scaly creature. He's also developing psoriatic arthritis in his 30s, and that is nasty. Lots of pain, for no obvious reason. Treat the skin condition, and the pain goes away for him (not for everyone apparently...). Very unfun, and not something I'd wish on anyone.

Most of the other things it could be aren't that nasty. Thank goodness. But if he does have something tough like that, better to know now so he can start taking care of himself properly.