PDA

View Full Version : How long should I wait.... (hairstylists may be able to help)

sunnydays
June 10th, 2011, 07:34 AM
How long should I wait until I can have highlights over my dark brown dye. My hairdressers messed up my highlights that she put over dark hair, she used completly wrong ash colour blonde that turned my roots ginger and also weaved in highlights with a 40vol bleach as I didnt want just a block bleach colours, this ended up with gingerish roots with white white strips, it was very stripy highlights, not very good at all. So i covered it over with a dark brown. How long should I wait before attempting to get highlights again, I dont want my hair to snap off!!!

And maybe any hairstylists can help with this one, why did my highlights look so stripy?

bunzfan
June 10th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I can't offer any help really but if it was me it would go to a professional hairdresser as they have so much experience.

When i was younger and tried going blonde not realising i had natural red in my dark hair the blonde dye gave me ginger roots i went to a stylist they sorted it out and i hardly had that much damage .

kyandii
June 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM
With bleach It's generally recommended to leave a month but depending on how your hair is feeling, EG not bubblegum like, stringy, snapping I'd say two/three weeks, but you will need to baby it after, lots of conditioner, oils.

When it goes ginger it normally just means you didn't leave enough developing time.

sunnydays
June 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
With bleach It's generally recommended to leave a month but depending on how your hair is feeling, EG not bubblegum like, stringy, snapping I'd say two/three weeks, but you will need to baby it after, lots of conditioner, oils.

When it goes ginger it normally just means you didn't leave enough developing time.

That was my hairdresser who did that, I dont know why really

sunnydays
June 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
does any one know why it looked stripy, it never looked stripy before

Calaelen
June 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Stylist here!

There could be a number of reasons why you got a different result this time.

1. Your hair is more porous than before, due to damage. This could cause the bleach to react to your hair differently.

2. You went to a new stylist who wasn't very knowledgeable about hair colour or highlights in general, or she could have applied the foils using a different method than what you normally get.

3. Same stylist, new product...

4. Different stylist, different product.

You may never know why you didn't get great results this time, but as your hair had had the bleaching already, and then the brown over it to cover up the mess, I would wait to see how damaged it is before going back for a fix.

Because you already had the highlights, there is a HUGE possibility that as you wash your hair over the next week or so, they will show up more. Bleached hair doesn't hold colour well without a filler, so I suspect this is what will happen.

You will likely end up with a nice shade of brown, and more subtle lighter brown highlights all through it.

Wait and see if you like how that looks, then if you still want to go back for the fix, just pay attention to how your hair is feeling. If you're having a lot of fallout, or it feels weak and stringy while wet, I recommend holding off until your hair is feeling stronger. I can't give an exact time in this case.

However, if your hair feels fine and you feel it could handle another go, give it about a week, then make an appt.

Sorry for your bad salon experience.

GuardGirl
June 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Definitely definitely definitely apply some deep protein and moisture treatments! I've colored my hair over bleach then recolored then rebleached then recolored, all in the last 6 months. I've sustained a little bit of damage, but not too much considering what it could have been without the treatments. I love "Dumb Blonde" Reconstructor by TiGi for a nice protein treatment and there are several good moisturizing treatments on the market. I suggest Suave Humectant mixed with aloe and honey at home for a great SMT. Good luck! :)

sunnydays
June 10th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Stylist here!

1. Your hair is more porous than before, due to damage. This could cause the bleach to react to your hair differently.

2. You went to a new stylist who wasn't very knowledgeable about hair colour or highlights in general, or she could have applied the foils using a different method than what you normally get.

You may never know why you didn't get great results this time, but as your hair had had the bleaching already, and then the brown over it to cover up the mess, I would wait to see how damaged it is before going back for a fix.

Because you already had the highlights, there is a HUGE possibility that as you wash your hair over the next week or so, they will show up more. Bleached hair doesn't hold colour well without a filler, so I suspect this is what will happen.

You will likely end up with a nice shade of brown, and more subtle lighter brown highlights all through it.

Wait and see if you like how that looks, then if you still want to go back for the fix, just pay attention to how your hair is feeling. If you're having a lot of fallout, or it feels weak and stringy while wet, I recommend holding off until your hair is feeling stronger. I can't give an exact time in this case.

However, if your hair feels fine and you feel it could handle another go, give it about a week, then make an appt.

I am not sure it was same salon but diff stylist, although I had been in alot had many chats, she knew i was not happy the first round of highlights as was very goldish, she used a 40vol i think maybe if she had used a 30vol that would have been better, she also used diff products yes, even though i said use the same as before, did she listen...NO, she said no no, I will do it differently it will be really nice....umm no it wasnt really nice. The back as well which was virgin hair went really really gingery and really stripy, i went back for her to fix it but still was really really stripy

sunnydays
June 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Definitely definitely definitely apply some deep protein and moisture treatments! I've colored my hair over bleach then recolored then rebleached then recolored, all in the last 6 months. I've sustained a little bit of damage, but not too much considering what it could have been without the treatments. I love "Dumb Blonde" Reconstructor by TiGi for a nice protein treatment and there are several good moisturizing treatments on the market. I suggest Suave Humectant mixed with aloe and honey at home for a great SMT. Good luck! :)

I have some good moisturising treatment but havent tried any protein ones, unless k-pac is protein based.

sunnydays
June 10th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Stylist here!

Yes I am getting that effect now which is what we wanted :), but i just miss my blonde abit now. Does hair actually recover within a few months, dont you have to wait for it to grow out?

Calaelen
June 10th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Yes I am getting that effect now which is what we wanted :), but i just miss my blonde abit now. Does hair actually recover within a few months, dont you have to wait for it to grow out?

It will not "recover" but doing protein and moisturizing treatments which will "fill in" the damaged cuticles will make it feel stronger, and help it stand up a little better to further damage.