PDA

View Full Version : Gingher scissor or...

Sophie.Bold
June 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Hello Ladies!

Hope you are having a great day!

Well I having good results with all the changes I have made but still need to start my S&D journey.
I know many of you like Gingher scissors but I found this product called Gingher 4" Featherweight Thread Clips that seems more practicle and was wondering if it would hurt my hair, as long as its sharp its okay, right?

Cant wait to to start asap my S&D :cheese:

Well please let me know if you see any Cons this is the product, its a bit pricey:

http://scissors-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Gingher_4__Featherweight_Thread_Clips.html

DoubleCrowned
June 10th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I worked in a fabric store that sold Gingers, and learned that hair and fabric treat scissors similarly (think about wool) so I am certain that the thread scissors would stay sharp. The difference would be that the thread scissors do not have the serrated blade that holds the hair in place while it is being cut. Also, it looks like there are places on the Ginger thread snips that could catch hair, because of the way with blade is mounted in the plastic. I guess it depends on your S&D technique--whether you move through hair to get to the split ends.

Sophie.Bold
June 10th, 2011, 08:20 AM
The difference would be that the thread scissors do not have the serrated blade that holds the hair in place while it is being cut.

Oh okay, I understand I would have to be careful not to let my hair get caught, but why would the hair need to be hold by the blade? what would be the benefit? or that would mean I would have to hold the hair with one hand and cut it with the other?

Thanks you for jumping in! :D

DoubleCrowned
June 10th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Well, my expertise is in sewing scissors...but I think the hair scissors are made that way so that the hair does not slide ahead as the blades are closing. Sliding would cause an angled cut which, I presume, would invite more splitting. However, if your technique is to hold the hair close to the ends anyway, and only snip out the split hairs, I'd think it would work.

I hope some others here have some experience with different scissors. My hair scissors are quite short, so are easy to use for S&D.

kwaniesiam
June 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Get hair scissors for your hair, they're not that hard to find. Ginghers are excellent for their intended purpose, I love my dressmaker shears but I would never let them touch my hair.

Sophie.Bold
June 11th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks a lot kwaniesiam and DoubleCrowned, I just thought it would be even easier but do not want to risk it and get more split ends... Off to Sallys!