PDA

View Full Version : Fine hairs - what routine works for you?

shikara
June 10th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I've started going through the fine/thin hair thread but I am hoping to get some information on what routines are tried and true for you. How often do you shampoo? What product do you use? Do you condition? How often? What do you use? What tools do you use to detangle - brush? comb (wide tooth? medium? fine?)?, fingers? Do you do scalp treatments? Do you use oils? Did I miss anything.....

bunzfan
June 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I have fine strands but a lot of hair, i do a mixture of CWC and CO washing apply oils daily as my wavy hair needs it.

I used a horn comb to detangle and a brush to smooth my hair before i put it up. I use an olive oil sls free shampoo and a moisturising conditioner and put a tiny bit of oil on damp hair.

Valdeon
June 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I wash my hair every 3-4 days. Currently CWC works the best for my fine hair.
I use diluted shampoo (with SLS) because regular shampoo tends to be really harsh and drying for my hair. As for conditioner, it is all natural, no silicones, very light.

For detangling hands down for Tangle Teezer. It is a miracle brush indeed :D If I want some extra shine I use my boar bristle brush. Combs are a no-no for me; very painful and it gives my hair that piece-y unkempt look.

For scalp treatments I use castor oil-aloe vera extract-rosmarine oil mix. It is easy to wash out and really helps with hair growth.

What else.... I cannot make oils work for my hair (a drop of cocunut oil to my shampoo is as far as I am willing to go).

pixiestar
June 10th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Just recently started co washing. I use a plastic wide tooth comb to comb condioner through in shower while rinsing out. Usually wash 2-3 times a week. Hair length does'nt seem to like coconut oil, but scalp likes it mixed with other things:) Have my first smt on at the moment, so will see if it likes it:) It does like avg but not sure about honey as never tried before:D

oktobergoud
June 10th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I just use shampoo and conditioner/deep conditioner, wash every 4 days (most of the time), sometimes co-wash in between, use coconut oil when my hair is frizzy/dry, but only a little!! And I use a wide tooth comb and a fine tooth one, both made of wood.
I do have a pixie so I don't mind if my hair is flat now, but will probably be annoyed with that when it gets longer :x

Neneka
June 10th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I use CO method and I am just trying to handle my hair as little as possible.

pepperminttea
June 10th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Hope you don't mind a F/M trespassing here - I find the most helpful tips I've gotten have been from F and F/M heads. :D

How often do you shampoo?
Once every 5-7 days, with diluted cheapo sulphate shampoo.

What product do you use?
I'm a little confused by this question. If you mean brands; nothing special at the moment. I like the cheap stuff. :) (And I can't afford otherwise right now.)

Do you condition?
Yup, couldn't do without it. My hair needs some weight to stop it drifting of; I like to think of it as 'anchoring' my hair.

How often?
Every wash.

What do you use?
Light cheapo conditioner from the earlobes up, heavy conditioner or SMT as conditioner on the length.

What tools do you use to detangle - brush? comb (wide tooth? medium? fine?)?, fingers?
I always fingercomb first; I find I get a lot less damage that way. Even when my hair's been in a braid, and there's virtually no tangles in it - fingers first. Now that I'm used to it, it seems really rough and almost reckless to think of using a brush straight away, without fingercombing first. Once I've gotten as many tangles as I can out with my hands, I use a wooden comb on damp hair, or a wooden-quilled brush on dry hair. My comb isn't a proper wide-toothed one, but isn't properly fine either - about 3mm between tines.

Do you do scalp treatments?
I do a deep oiling with a scalp massage pre-wash. My scalp psoriasis loves it (except with coconut oil, that gives me the itchies when I use it on my scalp).

Do you use oils?
Yup! Light oiling normally every couple of days to stop my hair doing the 'floaty bush' thing. :p Heavy oiling pre-wash and pre-swim.

LunaMoon
June 10th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I use shampoo and conditioner/deep conditioner (I rotate cones and no-cones), wash every 3 days. I clarify and quelate once a month or as needed - We have hard water here.

I use a plastic wide tooth comb and a 80/20 boar bristle/nylon brush.
Also, I oil my hair and scalp every 2 weeks (50/50 Shea butter and coconut oil, sometimes I mix my no-coney conditioner as well).
When I go outdoors for a walk in a park in a windy day, for exemple, I CO wash my hair just to get rid of the dust.

What I want to try/buy:
- 100% BBB

Mairéad
June 10th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I CO wash 1-2 times a week. I like using no-cone conditioners. Anywhere from cheapo but my current favorite is Yes to Carrots. I use my fingers to comb my hair and usually do a light oiling every day with coconut oil.

Panth
June 10th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I've started going through the fine/thin hair thread but I am hoping to get some information on what routines are tried and true for you.

I'm a finey but not thin haired - my circumference was 3 and 7/8ths inches last time I checked.

How often do you shampoo? What product do you use? Do you condition? How often? What do you use?

I do oil shampoo (2 tablespoons Boot's Essentials (blue) shampoo to 1/2 tablespoon KTC 100% coconut oil) followed by a white wine vinegar rinse (1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 pint cool water). I do that anything from every 3 days to every 7 days, depending how busy/bothered I am. If it's hot weather I might do a WO in between just to cool down rather than to clean. I don't use conditioner any more.

What tools do you use to detangle - brush? comb (wide tooth? medium? fine?)?, fingers?

Body shop wooden wide-toothed comb. Nothing else, except fingercombing when I'm bored (the comb works faster and I'm less likely to miss bits). I do comb damp after washing.

Do you do scalp treatments? Do you use oils? Did I miss anything.....

No scalp treatments for me. I use coconut oil as an oil shampoo and also on my ends sometimes (I used to apply it to dry hair but I'm currently trying applying it to damp hair).

Anything else - I wear my hair in updos nearly all the time, except when drying or at home. I use my horn two-pronged fork, my Mega-flexi or my 4 mutilated double pointed knitting needles. Also, I have a silk satin sleep stocking thing.

Zesty
June 10th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I CO wash nearly every day with Suave Naturals as my scalp wash and a heavier coney conditioner on the length. As it's drying I gently detangle with my fingers, when it's dry I use a seamless plastic wide-tooth comb... or my fingers if I find a knot. I'm really careful about knots/tangles, because even one can easily ruin the hairs in it to the point that I should probably cut them off. :( Looking into getting a Tangle Teezer for that reason. When it's dry I use a tiny bit of jojoba oil and smooth it over the length, and if I get flyaways I usually just wet my hands and smooth them down.

Lilli
June 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I use Chagrin Valley Chamomile Citrus shampoo bar and a diluted lemon juice rinse, followed by some cone-free conditioner on the length, and argan oil as a leave-in. Non-SLS shampoo is key for me as SLS will leave it too flat. Lemon juice rinse gives combability and shine. I still need a conditioner on the length; I prefer a natural one with low protein as too much protein makes my hair crunchy. I actually do the lemon juice rinse last and don't rinse it out as we have hard well water.

I rarely do deep-conditioning and no cones, as too much moisture or slip makes my hair flat and dull. The key I think is not too harsh a shampoo, a light and clean-rinsing conditioner, and a light oil. Oh, and no products - products make my hair sticky. With fine hair, it is best not to fight the texture, b/c the texture is gonna win.

MonaLisa
June 10th, 2011, 07:13 AM
what works - EVOO before wash, CWC, ACV rinse, tea rinse...make it so shiny and soft and silky..

what doesn't work - brush, coconut oil...

it tangles a lot but i wear it down a lot so that's probably not a good thing..

and castor oil massage gives great results, like instant baby hairs.

also figured it splits...and trims are a must.

Kwongdzu
June 10th, 2011, 07:22 AM
My hair's still relatively short, so I'm sure this will change...

CWC every 2-3 days with diluted GR Pure Clean shampoo, and Suave Naturals (avocado), sometimes a little bit of Biolage balm mixed in. I tried CO but it was too heavy-

I still blow dry a little bit on the days I have to work, so I use Joico leave-in for that. Coconut oil on the ends after. I also use a little bit of coconut oil as a leave-in the night before I'm going to wash.

Plastic widetooth comb after washing, cheap BBB when dry if needed.

Firefly
June 10th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I'm a F/M, with mostly F, so thought I'd chime in. :)

Twice a week.

What product do you use?
I'm always experimenting! Right now my products are VO5 conditioners, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, Escencia White Lotus shampoo (for clarifying and occasional CWC), Nightblooming Panacea, coconut oil, sometimes ACV as a rinse

Do you condition?
Yes.

How often?
Every wash.

What do you use?
I use a light conditioner (VO5 or Suave) as a "shampoo" on the scalp/length, and the very heavy GF on the length afterward.

I have an awesome Madora comb I use post shower. My Tangle Teezer gets the most use though! I often finger comb during the day. I do have a BBB but I rarely use it; in fact, I can't remember the last time I did! I always feel like it's damaging my hair!

Now and again I do a coconut oil massage on the scalp pre-wash. I have a tendency toward a flaky scalp, but this and CO have cleared it up!

Do you use oils?
I love plain, unrefined coconut oil (for some reason, refined coconut oil give me crunchies). I also like EVOO.

I have found that with my fine hair, less is more. Because it is fine, it can seem too "fly away" for me (I'm a wavy), so I'm always trying to spackle it down with product. That just leaves it looking limp, greasy and coated... my hair has no movement, and I love slip! So I have to resist temptation. The thing that works the most is the CO, and then adding a bit of my conditioner as a leave in. This combined with securing it while it's drying helps with the fly away look.

Anyway, that is what seems to be working at the moment. But my routine is always in flux! :D

BroadwayBeauty
June 10th, 2011, 07:44 AM
To be fair, I just started CO washing this week, so I guess I should list both routines? I have fine, mostly straight hair that's normal in volume but really thin compared to everyone else in my family.

How often do you shampoo? What product do you use?
When I used regular shampoo, I washed every day to day-and-a-half. I'd been alternating between Pantene Fine HS Flat to Volume and Tesemme Anti-Breakage. I'd had a fair amount fo success with both products, although the Pantene was a bit more drying than the other.

Do you condition? How often? What do you use?
When I was using regular shampoo, I conditioned every time I washed, using the matching conditioners for the shampoo. I always shampooed as soon as I got in the shower, then conditioned and clipped it up for the rest of the shower. I would also use a deep conditioner, either Aussie 3MM or the Pantene Fine HS Treatment 2x a week in city water and 1x a week in untreated water.

Now that I'm CO washing, I use Aussie Cleanse & Mend every day to cleanse my hair, and then I go back with Tresemme Smooth & Silky as a general conditioner from the ears down every time I wash.

The *only* comb I have (and that I'll ever use :) ) is a Tool Structure double dip detangler. I've never used something that works better, quicker, and gentler. I use a brush that's 1/2 boar bristles and 1/2 plastic. I really like it on my dry hair.

Nope, never have.

Do you use oils?
I use vitamin E oil when my hair is really damaged as a deep conditioner in the shower. I've also been using argan oil on my length

Ashenputtel
June 10th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I'm currently streching it from every other day to every 3-4 wash.

What product do you use?
I do CWC. For my first C I use suave natural coconut, ocean breeze or strawberry. I use Klorane chamomille shampoo very fornight to clarify. I alternate between two live clean sulfate free shampoo. For my last C its either l'oreal eversleek (the cone free one) or live clean argan deep conditioner. I do an SMT every two weeks with a coney mask (L'Oreal renutrition with royal gelly).

Do you condition?
Yes I can't go without ité

How often?
Every wash.

I have a goody nylon and board bristle brush that I love and a body shop wooden wide tooth comb. I'm waiting for my tangle teezer to arrive.

Sometimes but not too often. My live clean ACV clarifying sulfate free conditionner realle helps.

Do you use oils?
Yes a lot! My hair has been dyed and bleached and I really need it till the damage grows out. I do a heavy coconut pre wash treatment once a week. The reminder I use an oil mix with argan, grape seed oil and evoo from live clean as a live in on wet hair. If my hair is still a bit dry once my hair is dry, I seal everything with jojoba oil (love it mon my sensitive skin too!)

The key for me is really reducing my use of cones (for the body of my hair) and sulfate (for my sensitive scalp). If I want more body I do a regular S & C but it leaves my hair quite dry.

elbow chic
June 10th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My hair is very fine, but there is a lot of it.

I wash twice a week with whatever is appealing at the moment; right now I'm alternating between EverSleek S&C and Pantene "medium thick" S&C.

I don't think I'll EVER get completely away from 'cones. I use Suave "Daily Clarifying" shampoo as needed.

Way more conditioner than shampoo. CWC when I can remember to.

Detangle with a "Madora" comb from George Michael. Love that thing. Brush with an inexpensive no-brand BBB from Sally's.

Lately I'm experimenting with leave-ins, (Aussie Hair Insurance and then one by John Frieda) but I find I don't like them as much as plain old oil. Of those two, I definitely prefer the John Frieda, though.

No scalp issues, so no scalp treatments.

Oils are great, imo-- coconut is my favorite for prewash overnight treatments and olive oil for leaving in.

Anje
June 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I CO about twice a week, as needed or when I've managed to get something in my hair (pond water, chlorine, failed experiment) that I want to get out. No cones, no protein for me, as they both dry my hair out. I rarely shampoo -- it increases my oil production and causes all sorts of crazy flyaway frizz to form.

Usually detangle with a Tangle Teezer, though a wide-tooth wooden comb is a good second choice.

The extent of my scalp treatments usually involves smearing it with a bit of oil when I feel like it. I typically oil my ends and length (camellia or olive are the current oils I reach for) when I take my hair out of the towel post-shower, before running a comb through it to get the hair organized.

littlenvy
June 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have very fine hair and very thin too. There is lots of it but it does not add up to much :p So I have to be extra careful or it looks flat or lifeless or damaged or too greasy.

How often do you "shampoo"?
I wash (not always shampoo) every 3 to 4 days

What product do you use?
Egg wash works for me great. (egg mixed with olive oil, honey and lemon)
If I oil then I CO wash with very diluted Avalon Organics Oilve and Grape seed conditioner. I dilute that with Senna tea.
If I do have to shampoo I do it with SLS/Silicon free Jason Natural Sea Kelp Shampoo

Do you condition?
I condition my ends every wash but the lenght only when I feel I need it. Usually a mild ACV rinse is enough

What do you use?
Avalon Organics Olive and Grape seed conditioner very diluted with Senna tea.

What to ols do you use to detangle - brush? comb (wide tooth? medium? fine?)?, fingers?
I wait until my hair is dry, then first finger comb and then use Body Shop wooden wide tooth comb to detangle and comb.

Not sure what you mean by this.
I do use Cassia and oils and I massage as often as I can.

Do you use oils?
YES! :cheese:
Love them. Castor mixed with Amla for my scalp. EVOO for lenght and Camellia oil or Emu oil for ends. Once in a while a light coat of shea butter.

CariadA
June 10th, 2011, 09:11 AM
My routine seems very similar to many other posters. It workds well for me!

How often do you shampoo? What product do you use?
I CO every other day. If I stretch any longer, I get a bad outbreak of seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp.

Do you condition? How often? What do you use?
I do a second conditioner after every CO. I use Suave Tropical Coconut or Suave Green Apple to wash, then I use Garnier Triple Nutrition on the length.

I usually just use my fingers, which can be quite the task. I occasionally use my wooden comb (from The Body Shop). I have been wanting to get a Tangle Teezer.

I oil my scalp before washing it every so often. I also use AVC rinses on both my scalp and my length.

Do you use oils?
I love extra virgin olive oil! I usually will put about a teaspoon on my length and let it soak in for a few hours before I wash. When my hair is really dry, I will apply a drop of it to washed hair.

Ermine
June 10th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Wow! I'm so glad I found this thread. I'll be watching closely. :) And while I'm brand new here, I may as well show my routine...

How often do you shampoo? every day, maybe every other day if I'm pressed for time.

What product do you use? I'm trying to go minimal until my hair is shoulder length or so. For now, I use pantene's volumizing spray for fine hair and hair spray. Though once I get longer hair, even the "volumizing" products weigh down my hair, so I'd like to get rid of products altogether and just find the perfect washing method for me. And maybe oils.

Do you condition? How often? Yes. Every time I wash. I use HE's body envy conditioner and am loving it.

I use a wide toothed round brush to detangle currently, but I'll have to find a better solution once I get hair that's long enough to tangle. I also occasionally use a BBB to give shine and make unwashed hair look more presentable.

Do you do scalp treatments? Does Monistat count?

Do you use oils? Not yet. Currently I only have a little more than 4 inches so there's little separating my length and my scalp so oiling seems kinda risky to me. I guess I just need to strike the balance between greasy hair and beautifully shiny detangled hair. Also, when I think oil on fine hair, my initial knee-jerk reaction is to think it will weigh down my hair. But this is part of why I'm here at LHC, so I can learn how to enjoy the benefits of oil without my hair being greasy.

schweedie
June 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I CWC once every second/third day. Sometimes I don't have enough time (or conditioner, if I've forgotten to go to the store) for the first C, in which case I just shampoo my scalp and then condition as normal. Most of the time I use a mild shampoo (though with sulfates) from the drugstore, since I have a sensitive scalp which is prone to seborrheic dermatitis. The first C is always 'cone free conditioner, and usually the second C as well - but if I've done an SMT or just left my conditioner on for a long time and made sure my hair is well moisturised, I'll sometimes end with a 'coney conditioner for extra slip.

Not really, I suppose. Sometimes I use castor oil the night before I wash, but not regularly. Same with jojoba oil, which I use occasionally for my itchies.

I use a Tangle Teezer, plus a regular paddle brush, but for any major tangles (thankfully, those are few) I use my fingers. Actually, I think I always run through it with my fingers before using anything else.

Do you use oils?
Apart from the occasional castor/jojoba oil on my scalp, I sometimes use coconut/oilve oil for my ends. I've found that my hair doesn't like coconut oil as a leave-in, but it seems to work well if I use it as a prewash soak the night before I wash it out.

As of now, my hair and scalp seem quite happy with this!

battles
June 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I shampoo daily. I do a quick condition because my hair actually doesn't like conditioner very much. I have to dilute the conditioner quite a bit. I'm going to try to stretch washes once my hair is longer.

Nature's Gate Shampoo Lemongrass And Sage (Sulfate Free)
Nature's Gate Henna Shine Enhancing Conditioner for Dull/Lifeless Hair

My hair doesn't tangle very easily, but when it does I try to work it out with a comb.

I use coconut oil sometimes, but I think I might experiment with other oils to see if my hair likes them. I'm also trying rooibos tea rinses.