PDA

View Full Version : How would you trim my hair if you were me?

julliams
June 10th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Apologies for being too wordy.

My last trim was end of March 2010 which is almost 15 months ago. I went through all those "urges to trim" and now I'm kind of scared to. I bought a coupon online last August for a wash, Redken treatment, style cut and blowdry for $59 (which is cheap here in Sydney) at a fancy salon in the city. It expires this August which is around the time I will make my goal of hip.

My ends have gone from a couple of splits here and there to having many splits and I really do think my hair will benefit from trimming.

I rang the salon today just to get a feel for how they work and told them my goals and why I was concerned that too much might get trimmed off. She was surprised and said "we would only ever trim off what you asked for". When I told her about the horror stories I'd heard of, she agreed and said that there are lots of salons that don't listen to their clients but assured me that they would listen to me and do exactly what I want.

So, now I'm feeling alot better about the experience and I'm going to set the date. Gosh, sounds like I'm getting married - lol.

My ultimate goal is hip length with a soft U shape which is down to the bottom of the green dot on my striped top. I wish I was using this coupon to trim all to one length but that would take me right back to the mid back abyss as my shorter pieces are only just brushing waist now. ETA: my shortest layers are actually 2 inches away from waist - just checked with a photo. My concern is that by only trimming a little, I'm going to end up with my layers only being 2 inches apart and that's going to look a little weird. The problem is that I have to use the coupon before August 23rd.

Here is my hair as it is at the moment - you can kind of see where the layers are at - there is like a straight layer of them just above waist.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2777/5792637998_7ea29a328f.jpg

Yes, I know I could give the coupon to someone else but really, I do need a trim of some description anyway. Besides, once I reach my goal, well, what will I do from there???? It's kind of nice to be working towards something isn't it?

I've thought about layers including some face framing layers and I may well end up cutting some into my hair once it's all one length as my curl may well disappear, but I just want to get to that goal because I'm so close now and if I cut shorter layers it will be years before I'll get to all one length again so I think it's best to do that first.

So, would you;
a) trim a little now, get the layers to goal and then cut all one length?
b) wait until the last possible minute (August 22nd) and cut all one length (should be about waist)
c) wait until the last possible minute and only trim one inch off and keep going until goal is reached
d) another option that I haven't considered????

Thanks

bunzfan
June 10th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I was never scared of the stylist until i heard all the horror stories on here lol, but i was worried about them cutting to much.

Just wanted to say if your really worried about them cutting to much you could cut it yourself i have had great results with feye's trim method and there is one for a U shaped one.

julliams
June 10th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Yes that's how I'll eventually trim my hair - using that method. But I don't really want to not use the coupon since I paid $59 for it - I may as well use it and treat myself.

bunzfan
June 10th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Yes your right there go for it but just make them very aware you want a very small trim. I have never had to much cut off in the past when i explained i was growing my hair.

pixiestar
June 10th, 2011, 01:05 AM
a) trim a little now, get the layers to goal and then cut all one length?
I would go with a, if you feel you need a trim now, just have a small trim and grow the layers down before cutting all one length. This is what I would do if I had your beautiful hair:D

prettykitty
June 10th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I'd wait until the last minute possible to use the voucher, then have a good inch taken off.

Mesmerise
June 10th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Yeah, I'd wait until the last moment...and then get that 1" trimmed... then cut back to one length when your layers are longer.

I suppose it really depends on whether your priority is cutting those layers out or keeping as much length as possible! If you had particularly stringy ends or something...then it may benefit you to cut back to one length, but your ends look thick and lovely as they are so I don't think cutting to one length is necessary just yet!

pepperminttea
June 10th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I'd be tempted to go for option B; but it depends how much you want rid of your layers. I'd definitely use the voucher either way though, especially as it sounds like it's a good salon. :)

julliams
June 10th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I think with option B I'm going to feel as though I'm back at BSL. Even though it will be close to waist, it will be about 4 months away and I wonder if I'll really regret that. I have been thinking about it and if my goal is "all one length hip" then that's where I'll be for ages so I guess I should enjoy the layers now (even though I've had them for AGES) and then once I get to all one length, I'll know if I want long layers or not.

I'm thinking that I will go with option A since if I leave the splits too long, they'll only get worse and I might have to have more cut off which I don't want.

I'm kind of feeling like it's time...

Flossy
June 10th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I think your hair looks amazing (very jealous right here) and I would go with option a or c. Probably a, since getting an inch all over might make your layers feels really short.

Enjoy your salon visit, I CANNOT WAIT to go to the hairdressers next week and do something about my mess! I would probably get out the clippers if I had to wait until August. These Sydney winters are just killing my hair. I can't get it moisturised enough without it looking like I've dipped my head in oil after only two days.

Slinks
June 10th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I'm a trimmer, I'd go with option A .. :-)

Slinks
June 10th, 2011, 05:15 AM
PS .. you really do have nice hair :-)