View Full Version : What hemline to choose?

tinti
June 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm a bit unsure on what hemline I wanna choose when my hair gets longer. I've played with the thought of a not too deep U hemline or keeping it straight across ... what do you think? I love fairytale ends, and so if my hair starts fairytaling I'm not going to mind that.
I'm going to trim once or twice a year, that's it. I don't think my hemline will look too uneven if I go a year without a trim. It never did when I trimmed every 8 months. So what do you think? Just a straight hemline? Deep/slight U? Deep/slight V? No hemline?
Here's a picture:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6233&pictureid=104884

HairFaerie
June 9th, 2011, 07:20 PM
My personal favorite is a slight V. I think it would look nice on you (from what I can tell from your pic). That's just my:twocents:

karenpetal
June 9th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Tinti - if you like braiding your hair a mild U or even blunt may be a good option. Deep U looks good if you wear it down most times. I have had V in the past - looks good if straightened or wearing a high pony but not very helpful if you a braider - hope this helps

MissManda
June 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM
For my fine, straightish hair, I prefer a soft U/V shape or just straight across. I don't think my hair looks right otherwise. The soft U-shape is my absolute favorite because I am a braid-lover, but I can't help but drool whenever I see someone with a beautiful, blunt hem. :)

I think wavy hair types look stunning with a U-shaped hem of any kind as well as fairytale ends. I know some other thick-haired folks have said they don't like blunt hemlines because it makes their hair look too bulky or like a cape, so if you don't want that, then go for a different shape. I'm sure your hair will look lovely no matter what hemline you choose. :flower:

hs_atreides
June 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I like the slight U. Wonder if face shape would be a factor like nail bed shape determining the best angle for your nails?

littlenvy
June 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I know its not a popular one but I find that a reverse U (very gentle with the sides slightly longer) is the best for updoes and braids :)
V and regular U are great for when you wear your hair down.
Straight hemline is good for both updoes and wearing it down.

McFearless
June 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I say leave it alone and it will fairytale on its own. If you decide you don't like that look a U shape seems like a smart place to start. That way you can go blunt without much trouble, or let it turn into a V.

prettykitty
June 9th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I think I like a gentle U.

shikara
June 9th, 2011, 11:35 PM
My fav is a very slight U as well:)

Quezie
June 10th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I think that slight-v hemlines look gooooorgeous with the wavy hair texture that you have.

Fufu
June 10th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I'm a fan for slight v and slight u :)

julliams
June 10th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I vote for a U shape but only because that's what I'm thinking for myself and your hair is very like mine.

pixiestar
June 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Maybe a slight u, long wavies look lovely with this :D

Mesmerise
June 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I tend to like hair quite blunt across until about waist length, and then past that (say hip) I think a slight U looks nice! Not sure why I've come to this conclusion...but let's just say that I'm keeping mine blunt until I'm hip and then I'll reassess how it looks!

Although...mine looks U'ish now, but that's probably because that's what the last hairdresser did... I'm using Feye's self trim method now, but maybe I haven't trimmed enough yet to get a totally blunt hemline?

MonaLisa
June 10th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I like V hemline the most, U is nice too, and think U would suit you better at this length :)

Peggy E.
June 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I have finally been able to get back on LHC - my computer has been a MESS!!

Boy, I've missed you all!

I sort of let my hair pick it's own natural hemline - this after trying to trim it into a straight line that ended up taking off about 8" in a desperate attempt to get it even. NEVER again!

The advantage to the "V" line is that it makes styling a bit easier than the thicker straight hem. So if you wear lots of updos, you might want to take this into consideration.

Your hair and hair line are both gorgeous and I think I'd be tickled petunia pink to have it!

Rocket22
June 10th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I think the hemline is totally a personal preference it's a matter of what do you like. I have to admit before long hair I always thought just blunt was it. but now Im not too sure either :) you will figure it out as you go I'm sure and then you might change it up a few times until you find what you love :)

lesbia
June 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I think that on your hair type will work well fairytail ends!

skyblue
June 11th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I'm trying to grow out layers so my favorite is straight across but when I reach my goal I think I'll let it fairy tail or keep a mild V shaped hem
I think which ever one you like best will look great on you your hair is nice and thick
so go with your favorite ;)

mellie
June 11th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Another vote for slight U!

CrystalStar
June 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Slight U or V! It looks very nice with your hair type in general. :)

Sylvanas
June 11th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I don't really like blunt hemlines on thick hair, unless it's quite long (waist and beyond), since blunt + "short" + thick often equals triangle head. I'd go for a U or a slight V :)

jojo
June 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I personally like the blunt end as my hair naturally thins on my ends and it gives the illussion of thickness for me (even if it is a bit capeish!) however you have nice thick ends so id chose a slight U shape hem as I think this is beautiful.

This is my hair at your length after a visit to a hairdressers and its my favorite hemline. I can never manage it when I cut myself but when I do (though not very often) go back I ask for this.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/DSCF1175.jpg

Audrey Horne
June 11th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'd go with a slight U for your hair. I think it's going to look nice. For myself - it's always straight across, though.

tinti
June 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Oops, I totally forgot I posted this thread! Sorry to al the kind people that answered! It must've been late night when I posted this :p Thank you all, I think I'll just ask my mother to cut a gentle U next trim, and if it wants to fairytale I'll let it. Hopefully it will be bsl by then. I'm a braider so I think something like U or a V will make my hair more manageable.

Jojo, oh my gosh, that is beautiful :D