PDA

View Full Version : Random Hair Questions thread

snakewitch
June 9th, 2011, 04:13 PM
This is the thread for questions you don't want to start a whole thread about... kinda hypocritical on my part, but whatever. This thread isn't JUST about my stupid question.

Is it okay to leave olive oil in my hair all day(I need to make my hair slightly greasy, and that's the only natural grease-like stuff I have)?

And anyone else with a question they don't really wanna start a whooole thread about can ask it here. :D But seriously, I need to know. D:

MonaLisa
June 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think it's ok.
My humble opinion is that 1 hour is enough, but more won't hurt :)

My stupid question...do you guys ever get pimple on scalp? think i got one..it hurt me first , now it doesn't, i only feel a little bump...
Can it be caused by oiling?
Maybe it's my PMS pimple - I always get 1 somewhere random in those days, just it's always been on face or body, this is so weird....

BroadwayBeauty
June 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I feel like leaving the oil in your hair should be fine. Just remember that it'll attract more dirt, pollen, animal hair, etc.

I get pimples on my scalp almost every month around PMS time, and then sometimes when I go a little too long between washings.

Here's my stupid question--How do I know what my terminal length is? My mom's was really short, so I don't want to get my hopes up of having "mermaid hair" if I genetically can't do it.

snakewitch
June 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I think it's ok.
My humble opinion is that 1 hour is enough, but more won't hurt :)

My stupid question...do you guys ever get pimple on scalp? think i got one..it hurt me first , now it doesn't, i only feel a little bump...
Can it be caused by oiling?
Maybe it's my PMS pimple - I always get 1 somewhere random in those days, just it's always been on face or body, this is so weird....

Thanks for the answer, and yeah, I do. I kept picking at it and now I just have a scar there... but it's all under my hair so it's all good. I think it can be caused by oiling because the oiler the skin on your face is, the more pimples you usually have. That has to apply to your whole body.

snakewitch
June 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I feel like leaving the oil in your hair should be fine. Just remember that it'll attract more dirt, pollen, animal hair, etc.

I get pimples on my scalp almost every month around PMS time, and then sometimes when I go a little too long between washings.

Here's my stupid question--How do I know what my terminal length is? My mom's was really short, so I don't want to get my hopes up of having "mermaid hair" if I genetically can't do it.

You know your terminal length just when your hair stops growing completely, and for a few people it starts falling out. I hope mine isn't short either, because my mom's was short too...

BroadwayBeauty
June 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Sweet! I used to have hair down past my hips 11 years ago, but since then my hair thinned out some beecause of not treating it well, stress, and medical reasons. If I could just get it even close to my waist I'd be really happy!

Ok, I have another dumb question... Has anyone whose tried CO washing noticed a lot less hair loss? The last time I washed with regular 'poo I'd lose 20-40 hairs in the shower, but since I've been CO washing I'm only losing <10 hairs a shower.

Slinks
June 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I have a pimple right now, on my hairline :-P ~~

I have coconut oil in my hair everyday/night that I don't go out ..

if your Mom goes to the salon a lot I wouldn't base that on her terminal length, don't give up hope yet ..

hmmmm .. I don't have a question ..

snakewitch
June 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Awesome. I was worried that having the olive oil in my hair would all day(the whole day of school, I'd probably wash it out when I got home) suffocate it or something.

Kathie
June 9th, 2011, 05:03 PM
You know your terminal length just when your hair stops growing completely, and for a few people it starts falling out. I hope mine isn't short either, because my mom's was short too...
Hair is continuously falling out/shedding... I don't think people experience increased shedding at terminal? It wouldnt be a very attractive goal if they did!

pepperminttea
June 9th, 2011, 05:24 PM
1) I have been known to leave deep oilings in for days at a time. It didn't do my hair any damage, and up to about the 24-hour mark I think it actually helps. :)
2) I get scalp pimples! I haven't notice an increase in them since scalp oiling though; if anything, my scalp's happier with some oil (except coconut; that gives me a case of the itchies!).
3) There are a handful of terminal calculators around, and useful articles (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=75), but honestly - don't let it worry you. Sometimes you can get false terminals due to damaged ends, too. Just keep growing, enjoy your hair, and see what it can do. :D
4) I haven't tried CO yet, but I've read mixed reports - some people get barely any shedding after switching, some see an increase. If you're getting less shedding, I'd count myself lucky. :)

My stupid question: Can no 'poo (the baking soda method) work in hard water areas? I had such terrible luck when I tried it, then I read somewhere that baking soda + hard water = soap scum. But I hear some people with similar water quality have such good luck with it. Was it just me?

Joribear
June 9th, 2011, 05:45 PM
[SIZE="3"]
Is it okay to leave olive oil in my hair all day(I need to make my hair slightly greasy, and that's the only natural grease-like stuff I have)?

You most definitely can leave oil in for all day! That's how I do my deep oiling treatments, cuz I hit the snooze button about 23873873 times every morning, so I shower at night and oil in the morning, braid/bun and out the door!

Sweet! I used to have hair down past my hips 11 years ago, but since then my hair thinned out some beecause of not treating it well, stress, and medical reasons. If I could just get it even close to my waist I'd be really happy!

Ok, I have another dumb question... Has anyone whose tried CO washing noticed a lot less hair loss? The last time I washed with regular 'poo I'd lose 20-40 hairs in the shower, but since I've been CO washing I'm only losing <10 hairs a shower.
Just to point out (it is a depressing thought, so I apologize in advance), unless you're the exact same height now as you were 11 years ago, getting your hair to hip back then doesn't really correspond to how long you can get it now. I had hair to my knees when I was 11, but I've also grown almost a foot and a half since then, so that would probably only be waist now!

Also, I noticed a LOT less shedding once I switched to CO - one of the many benefits of CO, IMO!

My stupid question: Can no 'poo (the baking soda method) work in hard water areas? I had such terrible luck when I tried it, then I read somewhere that baking soda + hard water = soap scum. But I hear some people with similar water quality have such good luck with it. Was it just me?
Did you ACV rinse after the baking soda wash?

celebriangel
June 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I personally have oil in my hair pretty much all the time. I use panacea leave-in on wet, freshly-washed hair, and use triple moon oil a few times a week in between to smooth the ends and for scalp massages. Before we all started washing our hair so damn much, we had sebum in our hair all the time except for directly after a wash.

Peppermintea, I think any kind of alkaline hair cleansing method is going to be a bit more difficult with hard water (this includes poo bars). Tis the reason detergents were invented. If your water really sucks I'd get some kind of water filter, or buy distilled. It makes such a difference to the overall quality of your hair.

I wonder if some kind of acid addition to the baking soda method would help with the hard water issues? I mean, it'd fizz and things, but...*ponders*.

I let my hair get greasy all the time (at least, greasy by society's standards). I've heard mixed reports about how good or bad this is; apparently it can clog your scalp and cause hairfall? I haven't had any increased shedding, and I scalp massage very frequently. Any thoughts?

pepperminttea
June 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joribear: I did use an ACV rinse, yes. Love the reddish sheen it gives my hair with continual use. :D

celebriangel: I had no idea it affected 'poo bars as well - that explains a lot, thank you. :) Sadly a water filter isn't an option (my father's 'outlawed' the idea, and he owns the house), but if we get some proper rain soon I might give a rainwater rinse a go.

I let my hair get oily too; I wash it once a week, or thereabouts. I've actually found my hair's happier that way, and my psoriasis-y scalp is too. I get less shedding this way, since the most I shed is on wash day because of all the manipulation and damp detangling.

BroadwayBeauty
June 10th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Here's a question! I know I need to start wearing my hair in some kind of braid or updo to prevent it from getting damaged, but I really hate wearing it off my neck (personal reasons). What hairstyles would have my hair protected but still covering the back of my neck? I've worn my hair down my whole life but don't have problems with it getting tangled since it's like 3 inches or so below my shoulders.

Thanks!!!

tigr
June 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM
You could do a really low bun or a fake bob. Fake bob photos and links to tutorials here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68518.

Hmm. I'm sure I have questions. I just can't think of any right now.