PDA

View Full Version : Nizoral, Nizoral! Wherefore art thou Nizoral?

Elynsana
June 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I cannot find my beloved, Nizoral, anywhere! I think there might be some sort of issue with the manufacturer because it is not in any of the stores around here or online anywhere. I've been searching for the last few days, and all of the online stores I have gone to are out of stock. Amazon has it... for almost triple the regular price! :confused: The price gouging going on there is making me think that either production is on hold or has stopped altogether.

My question is... what do I do now!? shudder: Is there some sort of concoction I could whip up using ketoconazole cream maybe? I swear I was considering buying a pet shampoo that has 1% ketoconazole (the name is Ketochlor), but I'm a little leery of the other ingredients since I have no clue what the stuff is.

Ingredients are listed as:

Active Ingredients:

Chlorhexidine gluconate 2.3% w/w 2% in free form; 0.3% encapsulated). Ketoconazole 1% w/w.
Ingredients:

SPHERULITES® Microcapsules, monosaccharides and alkylpolyglucoside

The only thing I recognize in that list is ketoconazole. Regular dandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders just doesn't work for me. I tried T-Gel the other day, but it didn't do anything for me either. Nizoral is the only stuff that actually completely and totally works. I don't really want to have to go to an MD and pay for an office visit for a prescription for ketoconazole shampoo. Ugh. I have to figure something out.... any ideas/recipes/suggestions? Thanks.

GeoJ
June 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I bought a bottle of Nizoral last week in a Publix. I just checked Amazon, and whoa, that is expensive!

Other dandruff shampoos don't work for me either. The only other thing my scalp does OK with is Indian herbs, but they are time consuming to use. I haven't used them for a long time (due to laziness), but I think my mixture was: Aritha, shikakai, bhringraj, neem, amla, tulsi, sandalwood, and a few drops of EOs. I still need conditioner on the lower half of my hair with these.

I can't help with the pet shampoo you mentioned.

Elynsana
June 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks Geo. I've been poking around a little more online and found a hair loss forum talking about the lack of Nizoral. Someone mentioned that Nizoral apparently submitted some sort of product change to the FDA and is now awaiting approval. :( The person said that it might be available in stores again around July. :( :(

Yep.. those prices on Amazon are outrageous. Amazon and ebay can be iffy when it comes to stuff that's out of production anyway. I would be concerned that someone might do a switcharoo and put something else in a bottle and try to pass it off as Nizoral. Besides... for those prices, I would rather just go to a doc appointment and be sure I'm getting the real deal. Looks like that is probably what I'm going to have to end up doing.

If there is a product change with Nizoral, I hope it's nothing major. Why mess with a good thing?

GeoJ
June 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I wonder what they are changing? I'll keep my old bottle to compare the ingredients lists. For now I think I'll go back to herbs.

Good luck with your doctor if you go that route.

ladyfey
June 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Oh no! Hope it is back soon, I still have some left.

GourmetChica
June 9th, 2011, 03:10 PM
My Walmart carries it. I would try asking the pharmacist!

ladyfey
June 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Okay, just looked around the www and they have changed manufacturing plants, that is all. That is requiring a new FDA approval and that is why there is a shortage. They should be back in business in July or a little later.

Elynsana
June 9th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Oh thank you, ladyfey. :) I'm so happy the formula isn't changing. At least it's only temporary. I think I'll try to keep the flakes at bay with scritching and a regular dandruff shampoo until Nizoral is back on the shelves. If I can't, I'll have to break out my scarves and kerchiefs until then. :p I'll try anything to avoid having to pay for an office visit (no insurance and my doc charges $70 a visit). I don't think I would break down and go because of the appearance of flakes, but I definitely would if the itching/discomfort starts driving me mad. lol.