PDA

View Full Version : Greasy roots and dry & tangled ends after washing?

Pandora.
June 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
This has happened to me three times in a row now after washing my hair. Why is this happening? Anyone got any solutions for this annoyance? Thank you! :)

Joribear
June 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
How are you washing your hair? Are you using conditioner on the ends? Have you switched products recently? Have you clarified lately?

Pandora.
June 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
How are you washing your hair? Are you using conditioner on the ends? Have you switched products recently? Have you clarified lately?

I put non-cone conditioner before I put shampoo on, and then I rinse that out and put a coney conditioner on (I need to use cones because my ends are damaged).

I know this sounds silly but I don't know how to clarify. Is it when you use a different shampoo?

BroadwayBeauty
June 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
It sounds to me like you have really combination hair, oily up top and dry further down. This might be made worse by whatever products you're using to wash and style your hair. I'd suggest something like the Aussie Cleanse & Mend line if you use conventional S&P. It's designed to clean your roots but moisturize the rest of your hair. I'm using the conditioner for CO washing and I love it. Then try a light detangler/leave-in ( V05 or Pantene Fine Hair Solutions, both worked on my F/M/ii hair) while your hair is wet before you comb.

Hope that helps!

Joribear
June 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I put non-cone conditioner before I put shampoo on, and then I rinse that out and put a coney conditioner on (I need to use cones because my ends are damaged).

I know this sounds silly but I don't know how to clarify. Is it when you use a different shampoo?

Have you tried a CO (conditioner only) wash? I know everyone's hair is different, but I'll say going CO has stopped my greasy roots and my tangled ends!

There are a couple ways to clarify - one is to use a shampoo that specifically says "Clarifying Shampoo" (VO5 makes one in the Kiwi Lime Squeeze 'flavor') or you can do a baking soda/water scrub, or you can add baking soda to your regular shampoo (or conditioner if you're CO).

Here's the link for the CO thread (it's long, but full of helpful people to guide you): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

Here's an article on CO: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18

And here's an article on clarifying: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194

As far as using cones, well, some people love them and have beautiful hair; some people hate them and have beautiful hair. Like so many things on LHC, to each her/his own! I don't use cones, but I do use several different oils in my hair, as well as using some of my regular conditioner as a leave-in after my shower.

Intransigentia
June 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
you've already gotten good advice so I just wanted to commiserate: You'd think doing CWC would be the exact right thing to solve a greasy scalp/dry ends problem, wouldn't you. Curse you, unpredictable hair!

I strongly second the recommendation to clarify - excessive buildup of cones and/or protein can really dry out and tanglify your hair and getting some of it off could help. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use cones or protein, though. You could be in a situation of, a little bit of buildup is exactly what you want - the protein fortifying your hair and the cones protecting it - but then when it gets too coated, it's not helpful any more.

A couple more things you could try:
- use a "richer" conditioner, some kind of super duper ultra moisturizing variety
- leave the shampoo sitting on your scalp a little longer

Pandora.
June 9th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you guys this is really helpful :)
How do I clarify though? I've always been kind of confused as to what clarifying actually is.

RitaPG
June 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I used to have very dry and damaged ends a while ago too, a drop or two of oil (coconut and jojoba are my favorites) after washing helps a lot.
Just on the ends, though, scalp hair doesn't need the extra moisture.

My sister has hair like that, very greasy on top, and very dry in the ends because she washes it a little too often with sls shampoos. She now uses mild shampoos and oils the ends, and her hair feels amazing.

I hope you find a solution fot this :flower:

BroadwayBeauty
June 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Clarifying is really easy! There are several different clarifying shampoos that you can find at any drugstore--Neutrogena, Suave Daily Clarifying, and Herbal Essences Drama Clean. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Here's how I clarify: After getting your hair really wet, wash your hair really well with the clarifying shampoo and then let it sit on your head for a minute or two. Rinse it out really well, and then do another quick shampoo and rinse. This works really well for me, even when I have used a ton of products.

Hope that helps!

vanillabones
June 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I have this problem at the moment. I clarified because that usually fixes it but not this time... for me I think it is damage so bad it can't even be hidden anymore (I use cones too).... so I have to trim off all of my growth.. I've made almost not progress in almost 6 months...
I would suggest a hair treatment mask though. Or SMT or something where you mix coconut oil honey and conditioner and keep it on for hours.
Even coconut oil overnight a LOT of it, that helps my hair a lot when I wash it out in the morning the next day.

Deborah
June 9th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Pandora,

You might find that your hair will be nicer and less greasy if you skip that second conditioner altogether. Instead you could finish with a citric acid rinse, then once done and out of the shower, but still wet, apply a tiny bit of shea nut butter, or jojoba, or camellia oil to just the bottom six inches or so of your hair, not getting any on your head. This helps you avoid dry ends, but keeps your hair from feeling or looking oily. Unless you are heavy-handed with whatever substance you use, your dry ends will suck up the oil, and leave you with soft ends.

Pandora.
June 10th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Thank you! I'm thinking that this won't really be a hard problem to solve so I'm looking forward to making my hair feel better :P