PDA

View Full Version : Dry Hair

sunnydays
June 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Whats a good thing to put on dry hair?

Jojoba oil?

layla<33
June 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
when my hair gets dry and i feel like i need a quick fix right then i reach for... vegtable oil :] pure 100&#37; vegtable oil. (mine says it only has soybean oil in it) honestly, it feels nasty and gross when its on your head! but just put it on the lenth of your hair, wrap it in a towel or tie it in a pony tail and use a clip to keep it off your back and leave for however long you want :]

Mairéad
June 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
There are many number of things you can to try to help dry hair.

Even though I have fine hair, it has always been on the dry side so changing my wash to CO wash ended up being a wonderful change to my routine. Shampoo of any sort just never made my hair that happy

But, for deep treatments there are many oils you can choose from. I'm still working on my jar of coconut oil so that's what I've been using the night before I wash. Jojoba oil is good leave in for me.

While I have yet to try a SMT, many here would probably recommend it.

Also, you could use leave ins. You could either use a small amount of oil on your ends as a leave in or you could purchase a leave in, or leave a little or your normal conditioner in your hair.

sunnydays
June 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Urgh well I tried jojoba oil, I have put it on my lengths and it feels so dry, i guess oils are really not for my hair at all!!!!

Mairéad
June 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
May I ask what your current routine is? What do you wash your hair with and how often?

catholicteacher
June 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Urgh well I tried jojoba oil, I have put it on my lengths and it feels so dry, i guess oils are really not for my hair at all!!!!

Take some time to research and experiment before you completely write something off. It might have been technique or preparation, rather than the oil itself...Like when I tried a CO wash without clarifying my hair or doing anything to get my hair ready for that type of change: grody! :rolleyes:

SpinDance
June 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
If your hair is dry the challenge is to get moisture inside the hair shaft. Some oils, like jojoba, will seal the shaft. This can be good if you are sealing in moisture, but not so good if you are sealing it out. Some oils, like coconut oil, can penetrate into the hair shaft, which can help.

I found that I do better with oils than with cones. Figuring out which one(s) under what circumstances takes time and slow experimentation. Build up can manifest as dryness. SMT is often recommended to help as a deep treatment.

My hair tends to be dry, and it is also fairly porous. I've been having slow progress in overall improvement by doing deep oil treatments now and again. Depending on what I think it needs I'll use coconut oil, Panacea, SMT or something of that sort. CO can help, but my scalp eventually gets too greasy so I'll go to oil shampoo or CWC for a while.

sunnydays
June 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
May I ask what your current routine is? What do you wash your hair with and how often?

Well i wash everyother day sometimes every day depends, i use sometimes shampoo somethis CO depending what my hair feels like.

I used oil in the shampoo and again after washing just before i mean its been a couple hours now and it feels ok, and soft, actually alot softer than earlier it just looks abit dank, and not much life to it. Maybe i used to much oil but i only put a very small amount in my hands and just run it over the hair, slight coat nothing major.

krissykins
June 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I would try a penetrating oil, like coconut or olive. Jojoba seals in moisture, rather than adding moisture to the hair.

Also, are you drinking enough water?

Mairéad
June 9th, 2011, 02:00 PM
If your hair is that curly (3c) I'd recommend to try and see if making CO the main part of your routine works well for you. There's a huge thread about it here if you need more information. It's a very good thread. I only keep a SLS-free clarifying shampoo for the occasion where I feel like a clarify is in order which isn't often for me. If you're washing your hair that frequently I think it's important to use shampoo sparingly, especially with your hair type.

As far as oiling. Enough oil for leave in is just the amount to takes to make your hands glisten with oil, then run it through the length of your hair. Heavy oiling can be done the night before a wash.

Jojoba, as others have mention, seals the hair and does penetrate. It's great for a leave in but check out virgin coconut for penetrating the hair shaft. I find a good idea for oil leave in is to use a blend of oils so you could even blend small amounts of oil together.

haikitteh
June 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I've been using coconut oil, and I do think it works a bit better than other oils I've used (olive, jojoba). It's not a radical difference at first, but after a month or so of using it (about 3x a week, leaving it in for an hour or two before washing it out), my hair does seem shinier and less dry.

IanB
June 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM
If my hair gets a bit dry, a apply coconut oil- The brand I use is Vatika, available from many Indian stores, or health, or the internet. I massage it into my hai and leave in overnight before shampooing the next morning. Works for me!

CarpeDM
June 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM
For me, coconut oil does it every time!

sunnydays
June 10th, 2011, 06:01 AM
well after moaning about it, my hair feels really nice today and has anyone else noticed that elasticity improves when using jojoba oil?