PDA

View Full Version : Adjustment period for going sulphate free?

Fencai
June 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Just wondering if there's an adjustment period for going sulphate free? Ive been using it since my hair cut back in may. (approx 1 month). CWC roughly every three days.

Now, it seems that I have that tell tale manky spot in the middle of the back of my head. (you know the one lol)

I plan to clairify this weekend, but just wondering about adjustment period expiriences

celebriangel
June 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Well...I wouldn't say you need to clarify, unless you're using cones. In which case, cones really need an SLS shampoo to go with them.

I don't think I have actually experienced what you're talking about. But what you need to bear in mind is that detergent shampoos clean extremely well *even when you dilute them 5 times and just pour them over your hair*. Sulphate-free poos are much more like soap bars, and require a certain amount of mechanical cleansing to work - i.e. you need to massage them in *well*.

For example, I CWC using conefree condish, and I find that the first "C" is very helpful for removing excess oil, the rest being removed when I wash with sulphate-free poo. However, for the first C to be effective, I put a fair amount all over my hair (including my scalp)), massage in, leave for about 5 minutes while I run a bath/fetch a towel/etc, add some water, massage more, then rinse. Then I use shampoo. This is, for me, the best method of removing the prewash oilings I like.

If you're doing traditional CWC, where you don't rinse off the first C before you use shampoo, bear in mind that that routine is designed to protect your hair from harsh SLS shampoos, and you won't need conditioner in your hair when you wash with a sulphate-free one.

The other thing is - if it's just that spot, maybe you aren't massaging that spot or something?

There is also the possibility that the kind of shampoo you're using just doesn't agree with you. It's just like normal shampoo and conditioner; there's going to be some you hate, some that are okay, and others that work well. I'd shop around a bit.

Aeltt
June 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Oh yes it happened to me, i forgot to massage this spot the first time with SLS-free shampoo so it went greasy faster.. But since then i didn't have a problem.