PDA

View Full Version : Plastic (?) bristle brush - how damaging?

Rebecca.1905
June 9th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I can't find a pic or a link to the type of brush I'm talking about, but I think the bristles are plastic. Anyway, I'd stopped using brushes a few months ago and stuck with my wide tooth comb on everything but my bangs. I'm working a lot of hours right now and so the past few days I've been tired in the mornings when I get ready to go and grabbed my son's brush instead of my comb. Just not thinking.

Well!! My hair looks SO nice with this brush! It's flowy and shiny and just happy making. But I wonder... how much damage can this kind of cheapy brush cause? I try to be gentle and not rip thru my hair (no snapping sounds), but I don't generally get splits and don't want to cause them by doing something as silly as using the wrong kind of hairbrush.

If it makes a difference, my hair is layered, wavy, longest pieces hover around waist, and it's fine but I have a LOT of it.

Thanks for any info you all can provide!!!

mustpannkook
June 9th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I have this kind of plastic bristle brush as well and I love it! It makes my hair look so sleek and smooth, and it also looks shinier... Don't know how damaging it might be, though.

jojo
June 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Your better off with natural bristles as plastic bristles can generate heat and cause weakness overtime with the hair follicles. The worst ones are those with the little bobbles on the end of the bristles as these can rip hair. Also check that the ends are smooth as to not damage the scalp.

Plastic brushes are not bad in general as long as you use on dry hair and don't rip through the hair; which applies to any brush. The only thing with cheaper brushes is they wear quicker and can scratch the scalp. I prefer to de-tangle with a wide toothed comb and then use my BBB.

Forest
June 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I may not be an expert but I would think that it is more important how you handle your hair: dont brush when wet, be gentle if there are tangles etc. :)

Anje
June 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM
There are lots of different types of plastic brushes...

These can be quite damaging, especially if hair snags on the ball ends. (http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Mitchell-Sculpting-Brush--413/dp/B0016KTQ0I/ref=sr_1_18?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1307630951&sr=1-18)
These guys have tapered bristles, and are actually quite popular around here. Good for detangling, if you prefer a brush to a comb. (http://www.amazon.com/Denman-Cushion-Brush-Nylon-Bristles/dp/B000OUBC8A/ref=sr_1_5?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1307630951&sr=1-5)
These bristle brushes that look like BBBs but are all plastic, I can't really speak to. (http://www.amazon.com/Scalpmaster-Nylon-Bristle-Brush-SC315/dp/B000UQIRM2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1307631198&sr=8-17) I suspect that a brush with all boar bristles or with only a few nylon bristles mixed in would be better for hair than all-nylon. However, Mason Pierson sells all three combinations.

Partly, I'm just curious what variety you're referring to.

Ann Marie
June 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have a brush like this as well....
If I am right as to what you are describing....
I have a brush that is by Denman...I think...it is 1/2 boar and 1/2 plastic....but the plastic bristles get to my scalp....I have fine long wavy hair...the boars only skim the top...
They don't have the little nubbies on them...and it glides through my hair well.
I also have one without the boar bristles...it works great.
The bristles are smooth...no nubbies...I don't blow dry either...

I think combs are bad on my hair when dry because they don't "give" when hitting a hair snag....I have to stop and remove tangle with fingers...
With a brush I think it is best to start with the bottom or ends of hair...and work your way up...(comb also)
The brush is the only way to go for distributing the oils on the hair!:D

Ann Marie
June 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM
There are lots of different types of plastic brushes...

These can be quite damaging, especially if hair snags on the ball ends. (http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Mitchell-Sculpting-Brush--413/dp/B0016KTQ0I/ref=sr_1_18?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1307630951&sr=1-18)
These guys have tapered bristles, and are actually quite popular around here. Good for detangling, if you prefer a brush to a comb. (http://www.amazon.com/Denman-Cushion-Brush-Nylon-Bristles/dp/B000OUBC8A/ref=sr_1_5?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1307630951&sr=1-5)
These bristle brushes that look like BBBs but are all plastic, I can't really speak to. (http://www.amazon.com/Scalpmaster-Nylon-Bristle-Brush-SC315/dp/B000UQIRM2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1307631198&sr=8-17) I suspect that a brush with all boar bristles or with only a few nylon bristles mixed in would be better for hair than all-nylon. However, Mason Pierson sells all three combinations.

Partly, I'm just curious what variety you're referring to.

I just wrote about this brand...they are great and have some at Sallys..Denman has a Mason/Pearson version that is much cheaper...Love them all!

JuliaDancer
June 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I used to only use plastic paddle brushes, and was pretty rough with my hair, although not quite tearing through it. One thing that saved me was my dad teaching me to brush my hair from the bottom up to avoid clumpy tangles. He also owns the same Mason Pearson he's had since before I was born (his hair used to be APL for a while in the 70s). My hair was not in terrible shape, although it was never longer than APL until I started growing it out last year. Now I comb first, then use a BB and nylon Mason Pearson or BB only Mason Pearson, depending on whether I want that extra massage from the nylon bristles.

Rebecca.1905
June 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Okay, I checked when I ran home at lunch. It's got the little ball things on the ends of the bristles.

Too bad, I really like how my hair looks, but I haven't done all this just to damage it over a stupid hair brush. I'll have to check out the ones with the tapered bristles that were linked.

Thanks, guys!!

celebriangel
June 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hmm...I wouldn't use these, honestly - they are just too harsh for my hair. You might be a bit better off as an M. But to be honest, when I want speed, I pick up my Tangle Teezer. I cannot say enough good things about it - it is the most wonderful invention ever. You still need to use it like any other brush/comb and work from the bottom up, gently, but it speeds up the detangling process *immensely*. I can detangle my BSL hair in under a minute with it, if I have slept in a sleep braid.

The bristles are small and flexible enough not to damage the hair. It also smoothes my hair very effectively, and the massage on my scalp is very pleasant! These days, I only use my fingers and my TT on my hair pretty much - my comb is being neglected...

dmarie63
June 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM
It's interesting, but I have to use the plastic bristles with the little balls on the end. I've tried every other type of brush I could find pretty much, and all the other brushes hurt my scalp. They scrape no matter how softly i try to brush my hair with it.

PianoPlaye
June 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM
That's the great thing about TLHC - we have loads of information & different people do fine with different kit. By & large though, sounds like it's an "enjoy with caution" bit of kit.

Amber_Maiden
June 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
What about Goody brushes? They are supposed to be easy on the hair and not supposed to tangle it/pull it much.... Thats what I use...

umbrellabones
June 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I have a nylon bristle brush and i was wondering the same thing actually. it looks just like a BBB except its nylon. do these cause damage?

terpentyna
June 9th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I have two pics in my album that show the difference in hair that was brushed with nylon bristles and natural bristles. I believe the artificial ones may be damaging because of the static they create, I know nothing about this now, but I think that electricity may be raising the cuticles of the hair. I remember my chem professor talking about this, I was half asleep unfortunately.

Now, I'm lucky enough to have a tiny store in my city that's run by a lady who makes a living by making natural bristle brushes of all sorts while utilizing the "leftovers" from butchers and hunters.

umbrellabones
June 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I have two pics in my album that show the difference in hair that was brushed with nylon bristles and natural bristles. I believe the artificial ones may be damaging because of the static they create, I know nothing about this now, but I think that electricity may be raising the cuticles of the hair. I remember my chem professor talking about this, I was half asleep unfortunately.

Now, I'm lucky enough to have a tiny store in my city that's run by a lady who makes a living by making natural bristle brushes of all sorts while utilizing the "leftovers" from butchers and hunters.
that's really cool to have near by! there is a sally's beauty supply near my house so i think ill check there for a good BBB, better safe that sorry. :p

BroadwayBeauty
June 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
When I was at WalMart today I saw a combo brush--plastic bristles surrounded by BB. I bought it because I've been wanting a BBB to help spread the natural oils in my hair. In the past I had real problems with BBBs leaving my hair kinda matted and nasty so I've stayed away up until now.

mustpannkook
June 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I don't like the ones with balls, though. Mine looks something like on the last brush Anje posted.

Madora
June 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Please, please, please, if you love your hair, refrain from plastic bristles..or brushes with natural boar bristles mixed with plastic.

Nylon is horrible for your hair! I've seen the results of someone who HAD nice hair..until she started using a nylon brush. In 3 months the damage had started. It was so sad.

Boar bristle brushes are made from the "hair" of the wild boar. The bristles come in various shades (blonde, white, tan, black) and in different thicknesses.

The actual length of a boar bristle can vary from company to company. Some are very long and thick, others are finer and shorter.

Goody made wonderful bbbs in the 70s. I don't know if they made them still.

You can find bbbs at places like Target and Walgreens.

Plastic generates HEAT and HEAT is not good for your hair.

You will have static electricity in your hair when you use a bbb, but this is easily tamed by following each swipe of your brush with the palm of your other hand.

HOW you use your brush has a great deal to do with the final results of your brushing regime.

You don't have to brush "x" many of strokes per day..but you should be consistent and do the same number each day (when you get up in the morning, the most optimum time per George Michael, famed long hair maven).

Always detangle with a wide tooth comb BEFORE brushing!

Keep your brush squeaky clean and wash it frequently!

Brushing gives your hair wonderful shine, softness, exercises your hair follicles and removes lint, etc, from your strands.

Brush slowly - head down - bent at the waist. Brush from nape to ends. When finished (and still in the bent position), center part your hair from nape to ends. Hold the ends in your hands.
Stand erect. Take one section of hair and gently put it behind your shoulder and let it fall. Repeat with other section. Check for any tangles, then style as desired.

Brushing is a wonderful way to keep your hair looking wonderful (IF you do it properly!)

DoubleCrowned
June 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have a plastic brush that was made by (and of) Tupperware. Instead of bristles, it has widely spaced "fingers" so it is more like several side-by-side wide-toothed combs with flexible teeth. Couldn't this be used to detangle in place of a wide-toothed comb?

ArienEllariel
June 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I use this one and it's soo soo much better than my old nylon ball tipped one: http://www.haironthebrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Target-Sonia-Kashuk-Bristle-brush.jpg

Sheylenna
June 12th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I usually use Conair brushes I and I recently bought a Conair BBB I try to use it when I get up. But the brush that I've been using for years without problems is the http://www.conair.com/gel-grips-cushion-brush-p-960-1_124_125.html or something very like it...(my old brush fell apart about 2 years ago and I had to get a new one so I opted for the gel grip version) a few months ago I started noticing split ends but I've never had so many before and I've been using that type of brush for years.

I also permed my hair 2 years ago and when I got tired of the frizz that my hair became I chopped it all off @ shoulder length after I started using a box red, then I switched to box blond (hoping to get the red out) did not work. So when I cut my hair last week I also bleached it... took 2 times to even START to get the red out and it's still there... faint but there... funny thing is that even though I bleached my hair it looks and feels shiner and softer and smoother with less split ends then before (before the bleach I was finding lots of split ends everyday and now they been cut down to only one or 2 a day.)

I also started wearing my hair in a braid @ night when I started noticing the split ends. And that bugs me because even though my hair can't hold a curl to save my life (its flat in less then 4 hours even with lots of product) it holds the wave from the braid until I wash it. Sometimes its not bad I just throw it back in a pony or a braid or a bun and poof not bothering me, most times I hate it because I want my hair smooth and free.

Also I grew in a year, with no cutting, from just about SL to just past BSL. The person who cut my hair probably should have cut another inch off cause its a bit thin @ the ends still ^ . ^

It seems to me the harder I am on my hair the more it likes it. It grows faster feels and looks better when I color/bleach it. Cause for the last year I've been trying to be nice to my hair just coloring it (not high/low lighting it not bleaching or perming no product (even if I never really used it to begin with) no straightening or blowing dry (which I used to do all the time) . I bleach it and start blowing it dry again and poof it starts being happy again... weirdness huh? (BTW for those of you near a school support our future professionals and give them some practice (Its cheaper and I find they listen better since they are still students, they don't ask it it's "REALLY what I want" and I don't have to answer "YES IT'S REALLY what I want" >^ . ^<)