PDA

View Full Version : Blonde hair going grey?

Asequui
June 9th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Hey yall,
I've been on a long journey to get my hair back to it's natural color. First I thought bleach would so the trick but that just turned it a very unattractive gold color. So I went to a salon and had them do a color matching on the roots and a color correction on the length. They said I was between a light and medium ash blonde and tried to correct the bleached bits. I ended up with a dark ash blonde that they said would lighten over time. It has and I thought it was getting close to my natural color...but now the roots are starting to come in and they are looking decidedly more grey than the "ash" length. I thought 26 was a little young to be going grey but those roots certainly look it lol.
I was wondering if any other blondes on the board started going grey early and what it looked like? If I am in fact going grey I hope it turns out to be a lovely silver color...

heatherbelle
June 9th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I am a natural ash blonde and I stated getting gray hair at 19...and I have colored and damaged my hair ever since to keep it some shade of blonde! I am now 43 and working on getting rid of the damage and get my natural color back, which sounds a lot like yours, a dark ash blonde with gray. And to my surprise the gray is looking to be a very pretty silver, not a brassy gray. I have not decided yet if I want to let it all grow our naturaly or still cover the gray. I have been using the Surya Henna Cream hair color, the Ash Blonde, and I love it, it seems to be healthy for my hair, I don't have as much damage to my hair as I used to.

ladyfey
June 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I found my first grey in my 20's, but am now 39 and only have a few. They are really white! They don't bother me at all.

Cathyish
June 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I was a redhead until my early 20s who started naturally changing to blond as I got older. When I noticed that the blond was actually grey, I started a 20 year attempt to keep the haircolor of my teens. Yeah, no damage there - lol.:rolleyes:

About 3.5 years ago I decided to try and discover what my natural color had become now that I was in my 50's. Much to my surprise, I am blonde with a whole bunch of silver. I can't wait until I go all silver!

Rini
June 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Yup. :agree: Check out my sig pic :D

Thumper
June 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Ditto...I started a few greys in my early 30's actually, and it came as a shock to me. I still color right now because I really enjoy the blond shades I achieve with coloring so for now - I will stay blonde!

Asequui
June 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies, yall!

Rini - I love your siggy pic!

I'm going to let the regrowth come in to at least 2 inches before I decide whether it's really grey or just extremely ashen blonde...is there such a thing as natural silver blonde?

It's not that I think grey hair is bad; grey hair can be stunning and lovely ala:
Emmylou Harris http://www.allaccess.com/assets/img/editorial/raw/em/EmmylouHarris.jpg
Jaime Lee Curtis http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-090309-grey/ss-090309-grey-curtis.grid-5x2.jpg
or Kristin Mcmenamy http://a2zn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/kristen-mcmenamy-grey-hair1.jpg

But...I didn't think I would have grey hair until at least my 40s...My mom's hair turned out to be a lovely steel grey which I thought was gorgeous (and she hated lol). But I'm not sure when it actually started to go grey. Can't look to my aunt since she still dyes hers blonde. Lol, I come from a family of die hard dye heads.

I will say this...if, after I let the roots get to about 2 or 3 inches, it turns out I am starting to go grey I may seriously look into becoming a happy hendigo head.

Actually...I was sort of considering that anyway lol. Mostly because I've become frustrated w/ trying to get my hair back to the blonde I remember before I started dying it and I was a brunette for years and sort of miss it...

PianoPlaye
June 10th, 2011, 04:43 PM
What's wrong with natural highlights? I was a snow blonde brat, but over the years I've rusted. Now the grays are seeing me turn a sort of red brown silver roan mixture, and I like it. I've collagues who pays heavy money for a range of colours, but I've more variation & it's all free!
Got to say I covet Rini's colours! Ah well, the variation is part of the fun.

EmiliaF
June 11th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I just found my very first white hair yesterday. It's only 2 inches long and completely white. No grey anywhere... no intermediate state :rolleyes:

I don't think there will be too many more in the next years, so this is funny. Or maybe I'm getting a white streak :rockerdud
I take it as a sign for wisdom finally kicking :D

Asequui
June 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Piano: not a thing wrong with natural highlights. Im just not sure if Im ready to flaunt silver at 26. Im gonna wait it out for a few more inches of regrowth before I make my decision. It may just be really ashen blonde...

Emilia: a white streak would be pretty!

Asequui
June 13th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Okay so update: it's not grey! Yay!
I have looked in a mirror in every possible lighting I can think of with my hair down, up, different positions, etc.
LOL, so glad I live alone...no need to confirm to anyone else that, yes, I AM a budding mad hair scientist. :p

Anyhow, from what I can tell it's just very ashen. Not pretty ash, either...at some point in the last decade of steadily dying it red, brunette, red, brunette again...I've lost the fairytale blonde color and it's turned into something fairly mousy.

So, that being said, I'm researching to be a Happy Henna Head and let my inner Flame Goddess come out to play again. :D

zmirina
September 26th, 2019, 12:52 PM
My father just dyes his hair black, because his original color is fairly dark to begin with. I, on the other hand, fear that I might have to go darker again when I hit 30s

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I have a sprinkling of whites at the front in the middle, and my canopy has more and more white-blonde hairs growing in (especially around my hairline), to the point where some of them are translucent and I'm not entirely sure whether they count as white-blonde or as white or what. There's the possibility I might have a handful of whites elsewhere that I can't see, as I've shed one from further back that was about 9 inches long. Or it could have been just a random single one and no others back there, I don't know!

Either way, I'm pleased to be slowly snowing at long last :grin:

Sparkles122
September 26th, 2019, 02:23 PM
I’m not blonde, im a medium brunette. 35 years old and have maybe about 10 “greys”. They arent grey though, they are pure white lol

lapushka
September 26th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Mine are pure white as well; granted I "only" have a sprinkling. With my hair down it's quite invisible, with it in an updo, it's more apparent. :) I think I love the whole process.

UngracefulAging
September 26th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately, being of Scottish descent, my hair is coming in white. But not a pretty white. Or I guess I should say the white is nice, but the placement is not. The white is like wings on the sides of my head combined with a skunk line down the middle. So I am clearly not going natural anytime soon.

cjk
September 26th, 2019, 02:49 PM
My right side burn turned snow white in college. My left one turned white ten years later.

There's no predicting it.

BerrySara
September 26th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately, being of Scottish descent, my hair is coming in white. But not a pretty white. Or I guess I should say the white is nice, but the placement is not. The white is like wings on the sides of my head combined with a skunk line down the middle. So I am clearly not going natural anytime soon.

Ah I can just imagine how beautiful those lines of whites would look in braids!

Crystawni
September 27th, 2019, 12:57 AM
Eight year old thread breathes life again! :lol:

I'm a year younger, and right there with you, but mainly with the white temple stripes the full length of my upper thigh hair, with speckled underlayer and more strips of silver coming through on top that's helping to soften the toupee look. They take a bit to get used to, but can make for really unique updos, and like BerrySara said, they can look great in braids. The pure white stuff I have is very soft and fine, and comes across like feathering from underneath, so can work well if layered to show that kind of effect.