PDA

View Full Version : Protein masks....

Amber_Maiden
June 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Just wondering what the people here put in their protein hair masks! I'm trying to find the most natural one for my hair... :) Maybe even a vegan one? :)

ratgirldjh
June 8th, 2011, 02:52 PM
The only one that has consistently worked well for my hair is:

3 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons of VCO and 3 tablespoons of honey - mix well.

I put this in dry hair and leave it for 30 minutes.

It seems the eggs and honey make the VCO easier to wash out too.

I don't do this often because my hair gets protein overload easily but when I do it my hair looks great for a long time after.

I use soap for washing it out - 2 lathers usually does it and then an ACV rinse which I rinse out.

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I use aphogee 2 step ever 2-3 months and my hair loves it.

But eggs or mayo work well too, just remember to do a moisturising treatment after as your hair may feel a little dry afterwards.

Kome
June 8th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know of a natural one, but I use Joico K-pak Reconstructer and my hair LOVES it. Don't use a protein treatment more than once a week though or your hair will become brittle.

McFearless
June 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know of a natural one, but I use Joico K-pak Reconstructer and my hair LOVES it. Don't use a protein treatment more than once a week though or your hair will become brittle.

I second all of this.

rogue_psyche
June 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM

I've used both the real and the Sally's knockoff version of this and I can't recommend it more, especially for bleached/damaged hair. My hair does end up slightly dry the day after I use it if I don't add more moisture at that point.

KittyLost
June 9th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I've used both the real and the Sally's knockoff version of this and I can't recommend it more, especially for bleached/damaged hair. My hair does end up slightly dry the day after I use it if I don't add more moisture at that point.

Exactly this. Joico is a godsend.

Kristamommyx3
June 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I don't think I've ever experienced brittle hair before...could someone please explain the symptoms for me so I'll know if I get it. I plan to use a kpack pretty soon. I know what brittle is, but can't imagine in in hair...

krissykins
June 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM
A good old fashioned coconut milk soak is a great protein treat!

Kristamommyx3, brittle hair is dry, snappy hair that has lots of broken and split ends.

Mannaz
June 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I like coconut milk soaks too, simple and it really works.
I use hydrolized wheat protein in a lot of my mixes too, seems that it's kind of a "light" protein cause I have it in my mister bottle which I use every day, sometimes many times per day, and I haven't gotten any over load symptoms so far... But I feel that any time I do a protein treatment I need a lot of moisturizing the same time or it won't work.

Oh and hydrolized wheat protein is vegan :)

jujube
June 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'm excited. I just ordered some Aphogee and my hair is so porous that it'll just drink it all up.

Amber_Maiden
June 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I like coconut milk soaks too, simple and it really works.
I use hydrolized wheat protein in a lot of my mixes too, seems that it's kind of a "light" protein cause I have it in my mister bottle which I use every day, sometimes many times per day, and I haven't gotten any over load symptoms so far... But I feel that any time I do a protein treatment I need a lot of moisturizing the same time or it won't work.

Oh and hydrolized wheat protein is vegan :)

Awesome! I already use coconut milk masks :D :cheese:

Aeltt
June 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Avocados or banana mixed with some conditioner (i find it easier to apply this way) seem to work for me :)

layla<33
June 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I was looking for pure coconut oil or milk but unfortunately my only options were a.) wamart b.) target and of course c.) Sallys. i went to target and sallys yesterday and asked a girl working at sallys if they carried coconut oil (also a note:i recently highlighted my hair blonde HUGE regret! my hair is no longer as soft as it was) and her and another girl laughed at me.. she offered me some stuff for.. well.. not white girl hair.. checked the ingredients.. NOT pure!!! she reccomended their Ion Protein Treatment (which is why i wrote all this because it says on the pack its vegan though its NOT all natural) for $1.27.. she reccomended i leave it on as long as possible insted of as the directions said. left it on for 10-15 minutes.. and there is only BARELY a difference in my hair. next time going for the mannaise treatment no matter how bad the smell.

krissykins
June 9th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I was looking for pure coconut oil or milk but unfortunately my only options were a.) wamart b.) target and of course c.) Sallys. i went to target and sallys yesterday and asked a girl working at sallys if they carried coconut oil (also a note:i recently highlighted my hair blonde HUGE regret! my hair is no longer as soft as it was) and her and another girl laughed at me.. she offered me some stuff for.. well.. not white girl hair.. checked the ingredients.. NOT pure!!! she reccomended their Ion Protein Treatment (which is why i wrote all this because it says on the pack its vegan though its NOT all natural) for $1.27.. she reccomended i leave it on as long as possible insted of as the directions said. left it on for 10-15 minutes.. and there is only BARELY a difference in my hair. next time going for the mannaise treatment no matter how bad the smell.

You'll want to get food grade coconut oil and coconut milk.

Coconut oil is not a protein treatment, it contains no protein, but it helps prevent protein loss in hair.

Amber_Maiden
June 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Check health food stores. Most of the time they'll have it- and it might even be organic!!!:)

SpinDance
June 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM
The international section of our local groceries carry coconut milk, both regular and 'lite'. Also check Asian markets.