PDA

View Full Version : Do people often want to touch your hair?

homeeduk8tor
June 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Now that my hair is getting longer I find that people want to touch it when I am wearing it down. Why? I would never just assume I could reach out and touch someone's hair. I had to threaten (politely:D) a co-worker the other day because he wanted to touch my hair. I work in a newspaper printing facility and I assured him that he would NOT want to find out what would happen to him if he touched my freshly washed hair (which I had in a braid) with his ink-covered hands. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how do you handle it? I am all about personal space as it is- so this really pushes my buttons.

luxepiggy
June 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Yep. This happens to me all the time. If people ask first I don't mind, or if it's a good friend, but I don't like when random strangers just reach out and try to touch without asking. I may be a little piggy, but we are not in the petting zoo! ( ' (oo) ' )

pepperminttea
June 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
When it's down, yes. Recently both my aunt and my supervisor at work have taken a strand, held it out and commented on the length. I don't mind, since I know their hands were clean, and my first thought was actually "I hope it's still soft." :lol: But strangers or people with dirty hands... no thanks. :bigeyes:

HuggyBear
June 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM
No strangers have attempted this as of yet, only family. My SO's father or brother will grab it and say that they need some of it. That doesn't bother me, but I don't take too kindly to people I don't know invading my personal bubble.

selderon
June 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
This hasn't happened ever that I can recall. People usually comment on the shine or color, but keep their hands to themselves. Either it isn't long enough to be tempting (apparently BSL+ in high school wasn't either, except for a couple of boys who thought my hair was the hotness), or I exude a vibe that makes people believe I'll break them if they touch me.

battles
June 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM
When my hair was pixie length, people were more interested in touching it. Now that it's more of a normal length, it isn't very interesting. Maybe when I get to hip.

Pantha
June 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I get it a lot, which is one reason I think I tend to wear my hair up when I'm out even though I love wearing it down. I've had complete strangers touch my hair too which normally results in me turnign around an saying something like "Who are you and what do you think you are doing" or "Please don't do that its very rude to just touch people you don't know". Its always women I find, occasionally a man will ask and then I'm kinda OK with it if its someone I know well of course.

MissManda
June 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM
When I was younger, I had slightly longer hair than I do now and I got "hairgroped" quite a lot. I haven't had any random strangers try to touch my hair for quite a while, but that's probably because I generally wear it up whenever i leave my house.

Amber_Maiden
June 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I get it too, always have... It's weird. People are always like (while reaching out) "its such a beautiful colour, and so thick..." I even prefer my close friends to ask first, just because of how tangled it can get when people play with it.

Roseate
June 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
This has never happened to me with long hair, but when my hair was shaved, people used to want to come up and feel my fuzz!

As long as they asked first and seemed to have clean hands I didn't mind too much; I used to rub my own head quite a bit at that stage, fuzz is fun!

ratgirldjh
June 8th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I only had this problem once years ago when my hair was treated with a blue-black cellophane. It was also about an inch long or shorter and you could see my growth patterns.

People would stop me in the grocery store and on the street (I think where the light was bright and they could see the blue/black shine) and they would ask to touch my hair.

Too weird for me! I stopped having the cellophane done!

Pantha
June 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I get it too, always have... It's weird. People are always like (while reaching out) "its such a beautiful colour, and so thick..." I even prefer my close friends to ask first, just because of how tangled it can get when people play with it.
It's not just that they tangle it for me, I just find it rude, to touch someone else without permision or consent. Some people are obviously just drawn to touch long hair, or I've also noticed (not with myself as I've never been pregant) some people reach out and touch womens baby bumps in much the same way.

Amber_Maiden
June 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
It's not just that they tangle it for me, I just find it rude, to touch someone else without permision or consent. Some people are obviously just drawn to touch long hair, or I've also noticed (not with myself as I've never been pregant) some people reach out and touch womens baby bumps in much the same way.

Agh. Really? I find thats even more rude... Touching someone pregnant stomach... I hope that doesn't happen to me when I get pregnant! I'll probably give them a kick!:mad:

Carolyn
June 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I've never had it happen. I guess the people I know are too polite and respectful to reach out and touch my hair. Either that, and more likely, they just aren't interested. I've never had a stranger try to touch. Most of the time when I'm out and about I have my bitch face on and I don't think I'm the approachable type. Even back in the 70s when I was in college and everyone was all let's go to a love in, no one touched my hair or paid attention to it. It was past mid back then :shrug:

SparrowFlock
June 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I have had both men and women just come up and touch my hair when it's down and comment on how long it is. I don't really care when people touch it, as long as its not prolonged past a few seconds. Then I start getting weirded out.

JadeTigress
June 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
People did that to me all the time when mine was at classic. If they ask, I'm fine with it (even though I'm still a little weirded out if it's a stranger). But 90% of the time, there was no asking. I really wish I understood what makes people think it's ok to walk up to a random person and start touching them or their stuff without permission.

I was at the pet store and had my dog (a beagle, and on a leash, the end of which was in my hand) with me when she was still a little puppy, and some lady just walked up without saying anything to me and picked up the dog and held her and messed with her for forever. And I'm just like, "Lady, why are you picking up my dog? If you want to pet her, you should maybe ask me."

I think some people just don't realize what personal space is. (-------This is my bubble. Please don't pop it.-------)

Kristamommyx3
June 8th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Never. I have been told before I have a very intimidating presence, which bewilders me, because I love people and try to be friendly! But, nope, people compliment it, but no one ever tries to touch me.

Slinks
June 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM
yeah, my family pet me a lot .. I don't think it's long enough for strangers yet :-)

homeeduk8tor
June 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Great replies, everyone.

Bene
June 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I keep my hair up all the time, so this never happens. I also like to credit the whole "You will be losing whatever part of your body that touches any part of my body" vibe I give off :)

spidermom
June 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Wear it up; people generally don't try to cop a feel of someone's bun (buns maybe, but not bun - haha).

I've only had it happen once, and the woman who touched my hair was elderly, and she said it was magnificent, which earned her a free pass.

I think it must be a cultural thing. People in the Pacific NW generally keep their hands and their opinions to themselves. (except close family and friends, of course)

sakuramoon08
June 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
This hasn't happened ever that I can recall. People usually comment on the shine or color, but keep their hands to themselves. Either it isn't long enough to be tempting (apparently BSL+ in high school wasn't either, except for a couple of boys who thought my hair was the hotness), or I exude a vibe that makes people believe I'll break them if they touch me.

Apparently I give off that vibe too, my friends like to touch my hair, but they are always gentle about it, and they are allowed. Random strangers though apparently fear me? Lol!

Rakae
June 8th, 2011, 07:26 PM
When people do that to me I always jerk my elbow back even if I knew they were going to go for it. I don't wait to se who it is, because it's not appropriate to touch someone you don't know.

Olga-Freya
June 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM
When I wore a braid this happened to me very often, but simple hair stick and bun almost solved this problem. Yippee!

JuliaDancer
June 9th, 2011, 07:07 AM
This has never happened to me, and I wear my hair down or in braids at least half the time when I'm not at work. I guess people in NYC know you don't touch strangers or you could get beat... =) Or maybe my hair isn't unusually long enough yet to attract attention. I've been seeing a decent amount of women with waist to hip length hair.

Rafusen
June 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I may be a little piggy, but we are not in the petting zoo! ( ' (oo) ' )

Wear it up; people generally don't try to cop a feel of someone's bun (buns maybe, but not bun - haha).

Double lol. haha

I've found what spidermom says to be totally true. When I used to leave my hair down (pretty much everyday--I didn't know any better back then!) people would walk up and just pat my hair or run their hands through it (ugh!) without asking. Now that I wear it in some kind of restricted style nearly every day, like buns and braids, there is no more interest in touching my hair. But if I have to take it down, say in the break room at work, I have had experiences where I literally have to bat their hands away. I don't understand how some people don't think it's weird and inconsiderate to do that.

Coan-Teen
June 9th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I also give off the impenetrable bubble vibe. People know better than to touch me, even strangers. I don't like it, and I make that abundantly clear with my body language. I will hit you. I am not afraid of confrontation. :)

Malibu Barbie
June 10th, 2011, 02:03 AM
It happens to me all the time. Wearing it up and using hats keeps strangers hands out of my hair.:)

julliams
June 10th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Not happened to me either. I'm glad about that.

pepperminttea
June 10th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Most of the time when I'm out and about I have my bitch face on

:laugh: I use the same expression when I take the train. No-one messes with me then!

Sweet Beat
June 10th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Yup, sometimes. I find it kind of embarrassing...:o

Edit: And for about one year ago, when I was in a clothing shop with my friends, a quite old man (maybe about 60) asked if he could touch my hair O.o I was kind of surprised and stupid little me said yes. Then he kept looking at me for a looong while in the store, and when I was in the queue I felt a hand on my hair again :( I hurried out after paying! Then we all went to a restaurant, and when we almost was there the man was right behind us and touched my hair, and he said "May I please touch your hair again?" I didn't turn around, I just walked very fast into the restaurant. I din't notice that my friends were changing direction and I was just walking straight ahead xD

LunaMoon
June 10th, 2011, 05:06 AM
When I was working in China it happened a lot, but mostly mothers asking for their little kids, to give them the “experience” to touch some red wavy hair.
They are really cute, clean and nice, so I was fine with that.
My hair's color and waves, not the length, was the cause of it.
But, if some “grow up stranger” come to ask or try to touch me (hair, arm, hand, it is the same for me), I will refuse for sure.

Curly_jas
June 10th, 2011, 07:09 AM
When I was younger in primary school i would always have other kids and adults touching my hair. I would be in the playground lining up for class and people would actually start to plait it. From what I remember I didn't like it. Although didn't have my hair out much as my mum would do a different hairstyle on my hair everyday :P Then when I got to secondary school and kept my hair up all the time all I ever got was "if I had your hair I would do so much with it" nice huh? :P

Silverdragn7385
June 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM
It's never really been an issue, but this has now became a problem during the past 6 months. People touching it without asking permission first. With most adults, I don't mind too much...but when it comes to children, I definitely do not like it. I had someone's child that was sitting beside me at the health unit just randomly RAKE through/SLING a portion of my hair up in the air. After having their hand in a bag of greasy popcorn. This wasn't a baby, either. This kid was like...I don't know, 7?

-_-

honeyblonde
June 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I work with the elderly, they love touching and playing with my hair! They can't remember my name but they remember my braid!:D

Lunnafindel
June 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I get this all the time. Yesterday, in fact, a kindergartener in my father's class (I was helping out with activities) asked me to take my hair out of the bun, which I did, and then proceeded to use me as a maypoll, twirling my hair around and around, then throwing it in the air and watching it fall down. She still hung on to my hair as I went around doing other stuff...it was quite cute! I like it when people ask to touch my hair, I find it flattering. And they're always so nice about it - I've never had a bad experience with people touching my hair. (...so far :s )

battles
June 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Yup, sometimes. I find it kind of embarrassing...:o

Edit: And for about one year ago, when I was in a clothing shop with my friends, a quite old man (maybe about 60) asked if he could touch my hair O.o I was kind of surprised and stupid little me said yes. Then he kept looking at me for a looong while in the store, and when I was in the queue I felt a hand on my hair again :( I hurried out after paying! Then we all went to a restaurant, and when we almost was there the man was right behind us and touched my hair, and he said "May I please touch your hair again?" I didn't turn around, I just walked very fast into the restaurant. I din't notice that my friends were changing direction and I was just walking straight ahead xD

Eeeek. :run: That's a little on the creepy side.

rena
June 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Someone actually did ask to touch my hair recently, and said it was soft :D. I guess I must be doing something right! TLHC is so awesome.

ETA, Curly_jas reminded me of when I was in grade school and when I would often feel hands in my hair. When I was in first grade, and we were all sitting on the floor to listen to the teacher read, I caught one of the boys braiding it. I was not so surprised that he was a boy playing in my hair than I was that he could braid. He was one of the only ones who were nice to me, so that just made him even cooler ;).

perkidanman
June 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM
This used to happen to me when I had long hair. I had really thick curly hair that turned into s-waves when i brushed it. Since my hair is curly whenever people did it they usually snagged it :(

Also, I've noticed the "touchie-touchie" thing going on all over. On a scooter forum this lady mentioned someone had taken their child and placed them on her scooter when she went inside and when she came back out they were still there, playing on it. They finally left when she said the the scooter could tip over and hurt the kid. What the heck, people?!

Sweet Beat
June 11th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Yes, I'm afraid so :(

angelshair
June 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I don't have long enough hair for people to randomly want to touch it, except a few close friends that are generally touchy-feely. I can sometimes feel an urge to touch someones' hair though, if it looks really shiny and beautiful and soft, especially if it's on a hot guy :P I would never do it though, since I think it's a bit creepy and very rude to just touch someone like that. However I do have a few male friends that let me touch their hair as much as I want, and DBF of course, so I get my hair-petting fascination fed that way :P I guess I've become even more aware of long hair everywhere since I found LHC, as well as more appreciative. I feel a bit creepy hair-typing everyone and evaluating the health of people's hair all the time. It's kind of a hobby and I've developed almost a radar for long hair :P

JellyBene
June 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
My hair is not long yet (shoulder length in fact) but it is super healthy and shiny and thick and since I am in high school i am surrounded by bleach damaged, heat fried hair so a lot of the people at my school are pretty fascinated by my hair haha. Sometimes I will be sitting down at lunch and random girls ask to touch it and tell me how jealous they are and ask me "what do you DO to it to make it so lovely?!" i reply "Its more of what I DON'T do to it, aka heat chemicals..." and they just stare at me like i said something in a foreign language.

Helix
June 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Once in a while. My hair's not that long but it is superdense and my strands are superfine so maybe that's what draws the touchy people. I've had people randomly reach out and touch without my permission. I'm not talking about children I'm talking about grown adults who should already know about personal boundaries. Last year when I flat-ironed I wore my hair in this failed attempt at the southern tease bun (yeah, I know. FAIL).

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/racheru/012-1.jpg

That day people were patting that mess left and right, (one woman came up behind me, cupped it with her two hands then says "o.m.g! it's so huge"...I was like lady this isn't the petting zoo). Unfortunately, they would do it when I wasn't looking so there was no time for me to react. Never again.

I'm going to have to improve my dodging skills this year...

Kristin
June 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM
All the time, but it's usually my 8th grade students...especially the boys. I would probably freak out if a stranger touched my hair.

Asequui
June 17th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I remember going into Juarez with my mom and her friend when I was little and had hip length fairytale blonde hair which I had worn down. I had 2 or 3 grown adults touch my hair without asking first. All of them were nice enough people and had the decency to be embarrassed when my mother asked them not to.
Mom explained to me that my hair color was an oddity and therefore people wanted to touch it but it still creeped me out. I did not then nor do I now like strangers invading my personal bubble.

My friends and I will pet each other's hair and I actually enjoy having someone I know and trust brush it for me after I've detangled it. But strangers? No thank you!

Thankfully as an adult I've never had that problem. Might have something to do with the afor mentioned "You will lose that hand" vibe I give out, lol. Or, as others have said, perhaps it's just not striking enough any longer to garner that reaction.

IanB
June 17th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Yes, bless them. I think they are making sure it's for real!

Stagecoach
June 17th, 2011, 05:43 AM
This happens all the time when my hair is down.

It used to bother me a lot. Now, I've become more accepting of it so long as they ask first. I realize that my hair is a novelty to most folks, and they are honestly curious what it feels like.

cheetahfast
June 17th, 2011, 07:04 AM
In high school people always wanted to touch my curls. I didn't like it since touching=frizzy mess. One boy at school likes to pull my braid or touch my bun, which I hate, those take time and I don't like redoing them. I tell him to stop touching my hair, I don't like it, I don't want him touching me, and that he's going to mess it up. He's stopped touching my hair.

seaj
July 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I usually wear my hair down at family gatherings and one of my cousins always tries to run her fingers through my hair. They never get too far though since my hair is always tangled haha, but it's nice to know someone notices my hair.

Mrspuddinhead
July 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM
My hair is only 24" so I've not had this happen as of yet. When I was pregnant I had the cutest baby bump and people would ask if they could touch my tummy. I had no problem with it. My husband on the other hand is like a grizzly bear. If a woman asked to touch my hair he would have no problem but if it where a male then..... not so good. He doesn't allow people to touch me or his kids. My baby girl whom is 3 twirls a piece of my hair as I rock her night night. We both find it soothing. She is ever so gentle and never pulls.

gthlvrmx
July 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
When i am around people now! It's summertime, so i am away from people i do not like :p There was this one girl who was just a little too much sometimes, i'd compliment her on her hair sometimes (even though it was a split, damaged, broken, tattered mess on the ends) and when i started wearing a braid to school, she'd run by and PULL on my braid, it hurt my scalp, i had to tell her to stop touching my hair anymore. That is just so rude, just because it doesn't hurt her own scalp because she abuses her own head all the time doesn't mean it won't hurt me!

And then with my buns, oh nooo, were the girls always squeezing it and pulling on it. Bothered me quite a bit, i usually escaped to some other spot and told them to quit it.

Copasetic
July 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I have had a few random strangers touch my hair when it is down. It is so weird. Like the OP said, I would never invade a stranger's personal space like that. Everyone has different boundaries, and sometimes people forget that!

Arianoor
July 5th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Never. I have been told before I have a very intimidating presence, which bewilders me, because I love people and try to be friendly! But, nope, people compliment it, but no one ever tries to touch me.

Pod!

Though I will say that an occasional toddler will try to pet my hair. Which can be a little disconcerting as it down to my hips now and sometimes they miss!

bluesnowflake
July 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM
That happens a lot for me, the "Ooh, pretty" accompanied by a hand reaching out. With people I know, it's fine with me. I just take it as a compliment. I've only had it 3 or 4 times with random strangers, and I firmly informed them that I am not for touching. Little kids sometimes try to touch it, and as long as they aren't pulling on it I let them. Gotta start 'em young ;). I suppose it's just the novelty of it- some people have the same issue with their babies.

thestookem
July 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I rarely have people touch my hair without asking.

My hair isn't super long yet. Its between my shoulder blades, but even when it gets to its terminal length I don't think I'll have a problem with "touchy" people.

I'm a pretty big guy so I am not the type of person most people want to run up to and put their hands on.

Ive only had one lady sneak up on me and grab my hair. I immediately let her know that I didn't appreciate it. She also scared me half to death and was a rather embarrassing for everyone involved.

xoxophelia
July 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Nope! My hair is not very long though nor is it particularly pretty. It is getting better but I still have damage and uneven color to grow out.

SarahKayfa
July 10th, 2011, 02:42 PM
When I was a child I had long, straight, blond hair. We lived in Africa. Whenever we'd go to the villages, and often when I was at school, other children would surround me and grab my hair, touch it, and pull my ponytail. Even though I understood it was just a curiosity, it really upset me to be touched by strangers and attract so much unwanted attention. I'm not looking forward to that as my hair gets longer.

Sunsailing
July 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I don't remember any complete strangers wanting to tough mine (although I'm sure it might've been touched without me knowing it).

Mostly, it's students that come to me and ask if they can touch it. Sometimes they ask while they're touching it. I always say no.