PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to fade dark brown hair dye?

sunnydays
June 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Whats the best way to fade dark brown hair dye, I am wanting at the end of the year to maybe have half a head highlights once my hair has picked up condition, whats the best way until then to fade the brown? And will fading the brown be better for when I get highlights...Does that make sense?

I have heard bicarbonate soda? Anything else? I have tried vosene which I used before and that did some good, but was really drying so stopped using it as felt like it wasn't doing much but just drying my hair after a while

Audrey Horne
June 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
What's your natural colour?

Unofficial_Rose
June 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Soak with olive oil overnight and then shampoo in the morning. This should lift some of it.

There are also colour removers like Colorfix (US) or Colour B4 (UK).

sunnydays
June 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM
What's your natural colour?

dark brown I think, I am not sure, when I started dying it at 14 it was golden blonde with dark roots, I let it grow out for 7months and those 3" were dark brown, yet if it was to get longer it could have been golden blonde so no idea of my natural colour :eyebrows:

sunnydays
June 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Soak with olive oil overnight and then shampoo in the morning. This should lift some of it.

There are also colour removers like Colorfix (US) or Colour B4 (UK).

Dont really want to use a colour remover as its quite damaged at the moment, and when I have had hair stripped many years ago about 7 years ago, it went orange

Audrey Horne
June 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Maybe ColorFix or something like that. I used to dye my hair black and then went cold turkey. One year later it's somewhat mid brown. I think it depends on how long can you wait(?)

UltraBella
June 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Clarifying shampoo, the kind made for swimmers, will strip color. I used it to fade out my copper red and it worked really well. It happened slowly, over a couple of months but almost all the color is gone and it didn't dry my hair out. I am really happy with the results.

PinkyCat
June 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Use conditioners with a high protein content and mix honey into your leave-in conditioner. Both are shown to slowly and gently leech dye out.

sunnydays
June 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks I tried washing up liquid tonight and bicarboante of soda, left it for about 3mins and rinsed..... Never doing that again i put loads of conditioner but the ends are really really dry that was a bad idea

sunnydays
June 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
i may try the clarifying shampoo idea

KittyLost
June 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm also on a hairdye forum as well as here, and I wrote an article on fading hair dye with other members adding thier own tips and tricks. It may interest you. Also, Colour B4 from the UK contains no bleach like other colour removers which just strip hair to remove colour which often leaves hair bleached orange. Colour B4 doesn't do this, it just removes the dye molecules and doesn't damage hair. It's only downsides are that it is drying and it smells awful.

http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=1704.0

Anje
June 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Adding a vote for Colorfix/Color Oops/Color B4. If you skip the developer step (I believe it's typically the third step of the treatment), you should be able to do it without damage. Or so I've been told, anyway.

Bicarb is nasty on hair. Might work, but you'll want to condition the heck out of it afterward.

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Dont really want to use a colour remover as its quite damaged at the moment, and when I have had hair stripped many years ago about 7 years ago, it went orange

the colour removers mentioned are not damaging and contain no bleach they work by shrinking the dye molecules in the hair hair shaft and leaving your hair at either its natural colour but if you have had highlights under the dye it will remove dye and leave highlights. nothing at all like hair dressers stripper which involves bleach and is very damaging. My daughter used the colour B4 to remove black permanent dye and it worked a treat, a little dry but nothing a good conditioner fixed:)

You are more likely to get dry, straw like hair from the bicarbonate!

sunnydays
June 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM
hmmm I am wondering whether to keep using a clarifying shampoo for the next few months. When you fade dark brown hair dye will it go a horrible brown colour? As I noticed mine this morning has actually faded quite abit, and I have my old highlights underneath coming through which i dont mind as gives my hair multi-dimensional diff tones look which i quite like :)

sunnydays
June 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM
You are more likely to get dry, straw like hair from the bicarbonate!

Yes deff will not be trying that again any time soon