PDA

View Full Version : Why? How?

dmarie63
June 8th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Why is it that many LHC members say that wearing their hair in an updo helps growth? Does it really have an effect? I'm confused...

Ishje
June 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM
it protects the ends, they damage less so they grow longer before breaking :)

dmarie63
June 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM
oh ok. I guess that makes sense :)

Lunnafindel
June 8th, 2011, 09:50 AM
In an updo, hair can't be rubbed against a seat, caught in the wind, caught in a car door, tangled to itself, etc. etc. etc. Also, in an updo with a hairstick, your hair isn't frayed by the constant use of elastics in the same place, like at the end of a braid or a ponytail. It's not that it promotes growth, but that when it grows, it's healthier, safer, looks better, doesn't split, and therefore grows longer.

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Longer hair is older hair and those ends are more likely to break due to weather, rubbing, catching it in stuff etc. Putting it up doesn't help hair grow quicker but it retains the length allowing longer lengths.

homeeduk8tor
June 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for answering this question for me, too.

sarah061
June 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM
It's hard for me to keep my hair pulled up because I love how it looks when its down. BUT it stays in such nicer condition than when it's loose and gets tangled and then broken off.

I think it's easy for short hair to look good because if you have any damage you can just get it cut off in 4-6 weeks, but since I'm growing my hair out long, I'm going to have to keep those ends for MUCH longer and so need to take extra special care of it in order for it to look good. I definitely notice less splits when I keep my hair up and the ends protected.

KittyLost
June 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Everyone's gave great answers about protecting the ends. It's true that to keep your length you need to protect it. I find that wearing hair up can also be a neglect thing. If you put your hair up each day and don't pay attention to it and repeat this for several weeks. The one time that you wear it down you will notice your growth since it hasn't been down in a long time with you watching it grow in a sense. So you may think that you've had a growth burst.

ravenreed
June 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
My hair is special... it tangles LESS in an updo, but it still manages to tangle. For my hair, the biggest damager is friction. My loose hair gets rubbed against seat backs, or sucked up in the seat belt retractor. I also get nape dreads when I wear something with a collar. When my hair is up, these things aren't happening.

In an updo, hair can't be rubbed against a seat, caught in the wind, caught in a car door, tangled to itself, etc. etc. etc. Also, in an updo with a hairstick, your hair isn't frayed by the constant use of elastics in the same place, like at the end of a braid or a ponytail. It's not that it promotes growth, but that when it grows, it's healthier, safer, looks better, doesn't split, and therefore grows longer.