PDA

View Full Version : Shorties, talk about your progress!

kwaniesiam
June 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I thought some of us with shorter hair that tend to get discouraged with awkward stages, etc. could use a thread to focus on our achievements. :flower:

I got a trim today, so after a month or so I'm back where I started. I'm fine with it though, since mainly right now I just want the henna to grow out before I let my hair start getting long and kind of like the cut on me, its not long but suits me as much as short hair ever will. I think at the longest part, I only have about 4 inches to go before my hair is totally virgin color.

Oskimosa
June 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Ahem! Well I think thats a great idea. It's hard looking at all the pictures of the super long hair here, healthy and strong.. then to look at your own so far from your goal.

That being said, I'm glad you started this thread, kwaniesiam! Since I cut my hair off in January, it's gotten past my shoulders. When it's wet, it feels like I could get to APL in just a couple inches! But then it dries and gets all kind of volume and big waves and .. not really poofyness, but an overall look of it. Do you think if I trimmed my side bang (which is growing out and is now less than an inch from my chin) that it would give the appearance of my hair being a bit longer?

beatricedivina
June 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
When I started growing my hair out, it was not even chin length. Now it's past my shoulders. I've learned how to do a French Twist, how to braid it for bed (fantastic, since I have a co-sleeping toddler who loves to pull on my hair), how to oil it, and what my hair likes best. I'll probably grow my hair to BSL and then maintain it there.

jojo
June 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Well i started off with a multi layered pixie in December 2005 and I am now a couple of inches off BSL. My layers have near enough caught up with the length, I have never cut the layers but micro trim the length monthly, though did not cut at all until February this year.

Just wanted to give my support to everybody growing from short to long as I understand how frustrating it can be, but you will all get there eventually.

Good luck to you all xx

Pierre
June 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Mine is a bit past shoulder curled, and bottom of acnestis taut. It's been stuck there for years, the occasional solitary long hair notwithstanding. I think what's happening is the middle of my hair could grow much longer, but was being damaged while I slept. I now sleep with my hair in a Buff, which seems to be helping.

girlcat36
June 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have been hovering at 22" for months and months.......:rolleyes:

Pegasus Marsters
June 21st, 2008, 01:23 AM
Is it odd that after my pixie cut I already consider my hair "long" because there's such a huge difference in length to how it was a year ago?

rapunzhell13
June 21st, 2008, 03:41 AM
My hair is roughly 6 inches all over. :D

Mi-chan
June 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM
My hair is roughly 6 inches all over. :D

mine's only 2 1/2 ! *pokes tongue out* :P

it took 5 months to grow 2 1/2 inches... so about 1cm (we have metric here after all) per month

SeaPhoenix
June 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
I'm about to go shorter in a week, in my continued campaign against the henna... Right now it's longest layer is at chin, but it is fairly heavily layered.... Will be approaching a long-ish pixie cut, and hope that snips off most of the rest of the henna. Seeing all of you who've already started growing out, or are close to where I am, is very comforting! It reminds me that this is just hair.. and it will grow back eventually. I do miss my old hip length hair though from Nov 2005, when I started chopping for emotional reasons (but since I'm now growing the henna out anyway, I'd have wound up chopping it anyway). :hatchet:

AutumnLeaves
June 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
I went completely short to cut out all the hair dye. One of my pics shows some horrendous roots coming in:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0265.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0266.jpg

So because of how awful that looked and how I wanted virgin hair again, I chopped to the root line and ended up with this:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0432.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0433.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0497.jpg

I'm now getting close to the length in the first picture. It has been 10 months since the cut. I have refrained from the dying and am so liking the color now. I cannot wait for length!!!

rapunzhell13
June 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
mine's only 2 1/2 ! *pokes tongue out* :P

it took 5 months to grow 2 1/2 inches... so about 1cm (we have metric here after all) per month

You look gorgeous though!! :D You remind me of when I shaved my head and how awesome it was. :) Sometimes I think 6 inches, SIGH :(, but then I remind myself that it is a year's worth of growth and then I feel proud. :)

vidgrl007
June 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
I'm at shoulder length.This is the hardest stage for me.I made a thread about being frustrated and got so much encouragement.I have started doing scalp massages and it seems to help.Sometimes I feel like doing this:brickwall because my hair doesn't seem to grow fast enough.

FrannyG
June 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM
On May 1st, I had my second major cut to remove old damage and old layers from my hair, so I was literally back to where I started when I first joined LHC.

When I first joined here, I was really obsessed with length. Now, I'm more interested in my hair's overall healthiness. I know that as the days pass it will grow, and I'm okay with that.

I think we sometimes get caught up in comparing ourselves to those with amazing extreme lengths. The reality is that they are a very small percentage of the members at LHC.

We'll all get to our goals, whatever they may be, in time. In the meantime, we can delight in our smallest accomplishments, whether it be that we treat our hair more lovingly, that it looks shinier than it used to, that we've learned a new hairstyle, or that we feel it tickling a part of our body that it didn't just a month ago.

Silver & Gold
June 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM
Greetings fellow shorties. How nice to have a thread.

My hair is at that lovely stage (and has been for quite some time) where it's hard to find a good hair day unless I go to a lot of bother to roll my hair. The funny thing is, when I complain about it, nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. I'm told that my hair always looks great. The reason? I've become very skilled with the updos.

I can't wear my hair down very often, it just doesn't look right or flattering at this length. So I do half-updos, peacock twists and a sort of swirly bun that I do using one hairstick. Honestly, if I hadn't figured out nice ways to put my hair up I would have chopped it a long time ago due to frustration.

I'm longing for BSL and hoping that with that particular length that I might find some days when I could let my locks loose.

My husband gave me a micro-trim last night. That helped a bit. I still have many layers and bangs growing out which is part of the problem with getting my hair to look nice. I've been the family barber since before my husband and I married. I used to cut his mother's hair when we lived close enough for me to do that. I've cut my own hair for most of my adult life because the beauticians always ended up betraying me in one way or another. But at my current length I can no longer cut my own hair very easily. So, I section it and as I drop each layer I carefully explain to my husband what I need done and the proper technique to cut. He's getting quite good at it. He's done several microtrims on me since I've been growing my hair. Each one he takes about 1/4 inch. So this is a plus.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. It's nice to have a little group of frustrated shorties in this land of luscious long-hairs.

paper
June 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM
I love this thread :heartbeat

The last time I cut my hair short was in Sept 07. It was chin length and layered all over. I've been taking a pic every month and I can see quite a change. My first goal was to get to shoulder length, then keep cutting off layers. My next trim will be next week. I'm so excited, I'll be getting all my layers cut off the back. I will still have the side layers, but I don't think those will be as bad. I will probably let my hair grow longer between trims after that.

I mostly wear my hair with a headband. And, just recently, I can wear my hair in pony or half pony and no layers fall out of sides. :cheese:

Silver & Gold
June 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
I went completely short to cut out all the hair dye. One of my pics shows some horrendous roots coming in:

So because of how awful that looked and how I wanted virgin hair again, I chopped to the root line and ended up with this:

I'm now getting close to the length in the first picture. It has been 10 months since the cut. I have refrained from the dying and am so liking the color now. I cannot wait for length!!!

I don't know which is braver - to muscle through the awful roots or to chop it all back so short. I'm also wanting to let go of coloring. It's been a bit easier for me because my root line isn't so obvious for a couple of reasons. One is that I only ever used a semi-permanent color (more permanent than one might think though) and I've always used a color that was a bit lighter than my own so the grays never really got colored as much as lightly blended in. People always think it's just highlights.

Still, I had a root line from the color that was pulled from my natural color and the slightly whiter greys. In December I tried to blend that root line by having a beautician give me some subtle highlights. BIG mistake! The highlights were anything BUT subtle. And it caused a great deal of damage.

So I've spent the past few months really babying my hair. In an attempt to do some natural conditioning I tried cassia. I'm one of the people who gets very golden with cassia. It's a lovely color but . . . I want to go with my natural gray. So I'm waiting to see if the cassia will wash out eventually. It's slow going.

So I'm trying to find a way to get past the root stage without cutting. When I see what you did to solve the issue I just know I can't face growing past certain awkward phases again . . . and yet . . . that LINE! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

AutumnLeaves
June 21st, 2008, 08:12 AM
Silver & Gold, that line is awful, isn't it? It got to be just too embarassing for me! I don't know how Xandergrammy did it, though I suspect her demarcation line wasn't quite as obvious as that I was sporting. Sheesh! I'm with you on the awkward growing out stages though. I'm finally coming past that point, but it has taken 10 months to get there. Ah well...live and learn.

HaiirPEACE
June 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
im still at that stage where it feels like my hair hasn't grown in months its really hard to see progress

Eurydice
June 21st, 2008, 09:15 AM
I have been hovering at 22" for months and months.......:rolleyes:

That's exactly where mine was stuck for the entire latter half of 2007, and it was the most frustrating thing. It wouldn't grow and the ends just kept getting thinner and thinner, so finally at the end of February I cut about six inches off to get rid of old dye damage. I've been getting an inch a month since. I don't know if it's just the time of year for my hair to grow, or if my hair is like Spidermom's and has to be trimmed or it stops growing, but I'm not going to argue with an inch a month either way.

rapunzhell13
June 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
im still at that stage where it feels like my hair hasn't grown in months its really hard to see progress

I envy that you're able to put it up though! I hope my time comes soon. VERY soon. It's still a bit too short right now... :(

Garnet66
June 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
My hair grows very slowly so I find it hard to grow it long. I've been trying to grow my hair for four years now. I usually get frustrated with the growth rate and chop it all off. This time I AM going to make it. I started off with 2 1/2 inches and now I'm close to 3 inches. What a great thread!

FrannyG
June 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
My hair grows very slowly so I find it hard to grow it long. I've been trying to grow my hair for four years now. I usually get frustrated with the growth rate and chop it all off. This time I AM going to make it. I started off with 2 1/2 inches and now I'm close to 3 inches. What a great thread!

It's really hard to get past that emotional barrier where it's just easier to cut it all off than to have the patience to keep growing. I've been there so many times. This is also the first time in my life that I've actually grown out my thick, short bangs. It took me 45 years to break through that barrier.

Just remember that we're all here for you when you feel that you've hit a wall. You will make it this time. We'll see to it! :flowers:

vidgrl007
June 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
It's really hard to get past that emotional barrier where it's just easier to cut it all off than to have the patience to keep growing. I've been there so many times. This is also the first time in my life that I've actually grown out my thick, short bangs. It took me 45 years to break through that barrier.

Just remember that we're all here for you when you feel that you've hit a wall. You will make it this time. We'll see to it! :flowers:
omg,franny while reading your post ,it hit me like a ton of bricks that i've been cutting my hair out of emotion.It seems like every time I cut my hair it is out of pure frustration,lack of patience(I want long hair now) or something doesn't go right and I chop.txs for your post:)

jojo
June 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
I think that it must be normal to stall at 22" I did too, then it grew 2" and now its stalled again stupid hair!

I am just starting to feel 'long' again, even if by LHC it is still shortish, once it gets past shoulders it seems to grow better too, hang in there!

Silver & Gold
June 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
On the subject of stalling. I wonder if some stalls are perceptual rather than actual. For instance, my hair seems to have stalled whenever I measure it, it seems stuck at around 19". I know my hair is growing at the rate of about 1/2 inch a month because I measure growth at the roots (easy for me to do because i have a demarcation line from previous coloring.)

Some of my length has been eaten by microtrims but not enough to account for the apparent stall because I've only had 3 microtrims in 6 months, each of about 1/4 inch. Even if I were generous and said they were 1/2 inch I should still be seeing at least a good 1 1/2 of growth. My theory is that the methods I'm using on my hair is really increasing the volume and lift, thus giving me a shorter measurement.

Anyway, I'm not concerned because I know it's not due to breakage or hair loss. My shedding is amazingly low right now. I just feel a bit impatient to feel that length.

Silver & Gold
June 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Silver & Gold, that line is awful, isn't it? It got to be just too embarassing for me! I don't know how Xandergrammy did it, though I suspect her demarcation line wasn't quite as obvious as that I was sporting. Sheesh! I'm with you on the awkward growing out stages though. I'm finally coming past that point, but it has taken 10 months to get there. Ah well...live and learn.

10 months? I would love to see your hair now. At least everything you get now will be lovely and fresh.

My demarcation line is currently very soft and difficult to see unless my hair is wet. So this is a good thing. Still, most days the only way I like my hair is if I put it up. I know if I gave in and cut in some bangs and layers I would like it down again - but this is the cycle that always keeps me in shorter hair. So I'm going to keep putting my hair up and wait. Perhaps I'll just pretend that I'm never going to wear my hair down again and then I'll be happy.

Garnet66
June 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM

Awww..Thanks Franny. How can I not make it this time with great people around her like you. I can do it, I can do it!

Katurday
June 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Blarg, I grew out from a 1 inch all over pixie.
I'm now even length at 20 inches (I think) and my hair grows an inch a month.
I think it took me...Erm...A year of growth? Maybe a year and a half.
I just gotta remember not to chop it off this time.

kwaniesiam
June 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Wow, I'm glad this thread has been helpful :)

I jumped on the miconazole bandwagon today to see if it helps fill in some of my thinner spots and increase growth rate over all. If anyone is interested, I'll document the results in the miconazole thread.

jojo
June 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM
On the subject of stalling. I wonder if some stalls are perceptual rather than actual. For instance, my hair seems to have stalled whenever I measure it, it seems stuck at around 19". I know my hair is growing at the rate of about 1/2 inch a month because I measure growth at the roots (easy for me to do because i have a demarcation line from previous coloring.)

I totally agree, a bit like a watched pot never boils really isn't it? hang on to the thought this time next year you will have 25" of hair!

Oskimosa
June 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Yea, it really seems to take forever until it will hang down your back on its own, even when you're looking down or leaning forward. After that, it gets better. Right?

CeruleanFairy
June 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM
*Wave!* I'm a shortie! This thread is a great idea!! I definitly will need some support while growing my hair out! ^_^
My hair is currently in a short-ish assymetrical bob style, the longest pieces being almost sholder legnth. And it is dyed blue/black with henna and indigo, except for about 2" of virgin roots, which are med golden brown.
My *GOAL* is to have fairly long hair (mid back maybe?-I'm 6' tall with a long torso so that would be pretty long! ;)) with bangs (ugh--high forehead!!) that is flaming orangey red. *sighs wistfully* THATS a long way off!!
My PLAN is to have all of the black bits chopped off, and end up with a pixie cut similar to THIS (http://www.hairfinder.com/haircollections5/boldhairstyle6.htm), but probably a bit shorter to end up with all virgin hair. Then I'm going to lighten it a bit and use henna to get a beeeeautiful orangy red!! I'm going for a red similar to the color in that pic, actually.
Soooo I'll update after I get the pixie cut and dye it red!!! *Excited!!!* I have missed my red hair!!! I<3Henna
~Ceru

DecafJane
June 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
I got my hair cut to boy-short in October last year and hated it. I vowed not to let scissors touch my hair in 2008, and now I am just past shoulder-length (with LOTS of layers) and can do a french twist and sock bun, which makes me happy. :D
I'm looking forward to being able to do more intricate buns, and figure that I'll be at arm-pit length (APL) by the end of the year. :cheese:

I'm going to let it get to BSL, then start doing microtrims to even out the layers. By then I will be able to do the self-trimming method (with help from DH), so it should work pretty well. :D

nicolina
June 22nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
This thread is fantastic! All the long, looong hair can be a bit intimidating...

I've been growing since a hairdresser massacred my style in December. Plus I've always wondered what I'd look like with waist-length hair... It's at that awkward stage where it's not sure what it wants to do, the layers are making it stick backwards. But since I've been wearing it up, it's looked much better. It's about collar-bone length, and I'm hoping to make it to BSL by this time next year (Graduation!) I like layers for making hair curlier so I want to keep them, but it looks so bleh right now.

Originally, I just wanted BSL, but since finding this forum, I've been infected with the desire to grow and GROW. :)

jeno
June 22nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I just wanted to share my journey to long hair!
This is me in October 2005:
http://i28.tinypic.com/10d5y00.jpg
I did cut it really short once more, in January 2006 (my hemline was shaved!).

And this is me today: (sorry for bad quality!)
http://i25.tinypic.com/260poqc.jpg
I have done mictrotrims, because the bottom layer was very thin. I do CO about once a week (since September 2007) and I use coconut oil. I'm also using a satin pillow case and I'm really gentle with my hair.

paper
June 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Wow, thats alot of growth. I love your hair color!

rapunzhell13
June 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for sharing jeno! :) It's always encouraging to see the progress of others. It's kinda silly :o, but sometimes I need to remind myself that if I don't cut then it WILL grow. No ifs, no buts! :D

renarok
June 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have passed the waiting time most of you are in..(thank goodness)... but I have some advice. Try not to dwell on the length so much. Enjoy and care for the hair that you have. Don't measure more often than every 8 weeks. It is easy to become obsessive about every hair that gets shed, or every split you find. Eat well, minimize damage, enjoy life. Not every day is a good hair day. I have found that in order to have healthy hair, I have to tolerate some pretty bad hair days....For example; oiling hair before you wash is really wonderful for you hair, but in reality, hair looks pretty awful when it is full of oil. Updos can look like poo. Hats are your friend. Time is what makes your hair long. Oh, and a healthy avoidance of crazy hair stylists who don't understand your goal. There are lots of good hair stylists, excellent communication is key to getting the healthy micro trims needed to have healthy growth. Hair is like your kids it grows when you aren't looking.

jeno
June 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for sharing jeno! :) It's always encouraging to see the progress of others. It's kinda silly :o, but sometimes I need to remind myself that if I don't cut then it WILL grow. No ifs, no buts! :D
Before LHC i thought wearing your hair up would hurt it. I find it so much easier to resist the chopping off-urge when I can put it up. Having layers helps a lot too. When I've been growing my hair out in the past I always trimmed it to be the same length, and it took AGES to grow! This time I was able to put it up when it came to the akward length where I usually chops it off (beetween chin and collar). So hold on to it! Buy a new hairtoy and put it up and just wait, it will grow longer!

DecafJane
June 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Buy a new hairtoy and put it up and just wait, it will grow longer!
This is my exact philosophy too, and it works so well!! I find myself enjoying the hairtoys as much as the hair. :)

Tangles
June 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I was just at shoulders in April--more than halfway between shoulder and APL now. My hair actually has some shape now that it's not a wedge sitting on my shoulders. :)

rapunzhell13
June 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Before LHC i thought wearing your hair up would hurt it. I find it so much easier to resist the chopping off-urge when I can put it up. Having layers helps a lot too. When I've been growing my hair out in the past I always trimmed it to be the same length, and it took AGES to grow! This time I was able to put it up when it came to the akward length where I usually chops it off (beetween chin and collar). So hold on to it! Buy a new hairtoy and put it up and just wait, it will grow longer!

Good advice, but I'm not quite at the updo stage yet hehe. I know once I am though, it will be far easier to forget and just let it be.

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
So glad I found this thread. Growing out my stacked bob since last September has been an excercise in frustration, but now the shortest "layer' is about shoulder length and I can almost do things like put it in a bun.

Silver & Gold
June 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
I suppose this is a random mixed blessing post. Right now I hate my hair soooooo much. I want it to look good down but this is just not to be right now. In the past, this is where I would start cutting. I've even got up in the middle of the night (talking 2-4 a.m.) and cut my hair while everyone was sleeping when I was terribly unhappy with my hair. I think I've also cut my hair in the past when I was stressed or under duress. I actually woke up a couple of nights ago to do just that. I limited myself to microtrim to blend some layers and a bit of S&D but still . . .
But here comes the good part. I know I'm not going to cut my hair all off this time because I have faith that if I just let it be things will change in as few months AND thanks to all to lovely/horrible enablers out there, I have a LOT of hair toys to fasten my hair up so I can forget about how it looks down until I get to a better place.
It's just that sometimes I tire of fastening my hair up and waiting.

That's all, just my random kvetch for the day. As you were. (And thanks for listening.)

nicolina
June 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Silver & Gold - I know how you feel. My hair's also at that awkward stage, and whilst I'm ok with messy hair at home, come September I'll feel the pressure to cut before the new term. My layers are currently making my hair point upwards at the back (in defiance of the law of gravity).

If you're feeling the need to cut as an emotional thing, maybe try another way of attending to your body. Have a long soak in a bath with some essential oils (lavender is great) and then use some body lotion or something. Do a mini-manicure on your finger and toenails. I usually find that paying myself some attention helps my mood, and it should draw the focus away from your hair.

Hang in there! Just thing how much longer it will be 6 months or a year from now.

Silver & Gold
June 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Silver & Gold - I know how you feel. My hair's also at that awkward stage, and whilst I'm ok with messy hair at home, come September I'll feel the pressure to cut before the new term. My layers are currently making my hair point upwards at the back (in defiance of the law of gravity).

If you're feeling the need to cut as an emotional thing, maybe try another way of attending to your body. Have a long soak in a bath with some essential oils (lavender is great) and then use some body lotion or something. Do a mini-manicure on your finger and toenails. I usually find that paying myself some attention helps my mood, and it should draw the focus away from your hair.

Hang in there! Just thing how much longer it will be 6 months or a year from now.

Of course you're right and thank-you for reminding me of all the things that I know have worked for me in the past.
Likewise, consider figuring ways to fasten your hair up when you go back to school sos that you can let yours grow as well.
We'll hold each other's hand and walk through the land of the ugly, awkward stage together.
Thanks.

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
This is such a nice supportive thread. It would be interesting to see what everyone considers "the awkward stage". For me it is when it is on my head, ie anytime.

nicolina
June 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Silver & Gold - we'll beat the pressure! Thanks for the support too.

This is such a nice supportive thread. It would be interesting to see what everyone considers "the awkward stage". For me it is when it is on my head, ie anytime.

:D For me, it is around shoulder-length, where it doesn't look long or short, and it kind of clumps around your shoulders rather than falling down your back like a sheet of spin silk... Also, for me this means that I have about one half of a curl at the end of all my strands, so it's not curly, just - directionally challenged?

Silver & Gold
June 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM

I second that . . . at least that's the way it feels right now. But I just keep hoping that perhaps, some magical day, I can fall in love with my hair again.

My hair doesn't look too different from my picture, which is why I haven't changed my picture yet. Lots of layers and bangs growing out, just past shoulder in the back, resting at the shoulders on the sides, bangs just barely below chin. The best way to describe my current look? YUCK! I think that sums it up very nicely. But it's a "Yuck with hope".

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
I second that . . . at least that's the way it feels right now. But I just keep hoping that perhaps, some magical day, I can fall in love with my hair again.

My hair doesn't look too different from my picture, which is why I haven't changed my picture yet. Lots of layers and bangs growing out, just past shoulder in the back, resting at the shoulders on the sides, bangs just barely below chin. The best way to describe my current look? YUCK! I think that sums it up very nicely. But it's a "Yuck with hope".

See, I on the other hand think your hair looks great and just wish mine could look like that as far as wavy and full looking goes (I do love my red). Of course we always want what we can't/don't have.

Garnet66
June 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM

I'm always in the awkward stage. I always hack it off when I'm nearing a not so bad phase. I keep thinking that if I can make it until I can do a half up I can wait out the rest of the awkward stages.

Silver & Gold
June 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
See, I on the other hand think your hair looks great and just wish mine could look like that as far as wavy and full looking goes (I do love my red). Of course we always want what we can't/don't have.

If only my hair looked that nice in the back now! Right now it's awkward and bushy and the curls are not playing nice at all. But I have hope that this too shall pass.

Fencai
June 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
here's mine. I had been keeping it at collarbone length and only recently decided to let it grow.
This is from saturday and its still a bit damp from washing it earlier that afternoon. Henna'd once and henna glossed once. I want to get to BSL or Mid-back. This is the longest my hair has been in 11 years.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/MissAmyLiz/DSCN1458.jpg

twinstimestwo
June 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Fencai, such pretty color and waviness! Wow!

I am at "Awkward Stage #1" in the growing-out journey...a month and a half since I had my last "pixie cut" trim and it's looking, well, BIG. My hair is super-thick and when it's longer has some curliness to it, but right now it just looks eeeeeeuuugh. I just got a phone call today for a job interview - a teaching position I've wanted forever - and I'm thinking, 'great, I have to interview with my hair looking like this?' Any ideas for looking "put-together" for this?

Fencai
June 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Fencai, such pretty color and waviness! Wow!

I am at "Awkward Stage #1" in the growing-out journey...a month and a half since I had my last "pixie cut" trim and it's looking, well, BIG. My hair is super-thick and when it's longer has some curliness to it, but right now it just looks eeeeeeuuugh. I just got a phone call today for a job interview - a teaching position I've wanted forever - and I'm thinking, 'great, I have to interview with my hair looking like this?' Any ideas for looking "put-together" for this?

Thanks! :blushing:

I would put some bees wax in it, to help tame it, and then either use a little barrett (with a side part) or put a cute headband around the top. For the interview, you only need to keep it tame for a little while!!!
Go in, head high, and no matter what- you'll be great!

Best wishes for it!!! (when is it?)

Aelith
June 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I am finally at the length I can put up in a pony. I'm just touching shoulders now, which is exciting - it's been a long time since I've had it shoulder-length. Ive been wearing my hair up, so it's been OK as far as awkwardness - no desire to go get it all chopped off!

girlcat36
June 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hhmmm...my progress....
I am officially an inch shorter than I was an hour ago.
Going backwards:rolleyes:.

kwaniesiam
June 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I consider it to be an awkward phase whenever your hair looks like its in between two lengths, has a bunch of layers, and you just can't get it to cooperate or do anything :rolleyes: I'm there right now, I can barely make a ponytail but I have so many layers it all hangs in front of my eyes, but if I leave it down unless I gel it just right it can look mulletish or else just a big moppy mess. A few more inches until I can get it all back, then I can just forget about it and let it grow :)

chrissy-b
June 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I consider it to be an awkward phase whenever your hair looks like its in between two lengths, has a bunch of layers, and you just can't get it to cooperate or do anything :rolleyes: I'm there right now, I can barely make a ponytail but I have so many layers it all hangs in front of my eyes, but if I leave it down unless I gel it just right it can look mulletish or else just a big moppy mess. A few more inches until I can get it all back, then I can just forget about it and let it grow :)

I feel your pain. My hair is just below shoulder length with tons of layers and I can only wear it up in two little twists or two pony tails (I can't even put it in one pony w/o all the layers falling in my face).

I wear it up everyday and plan to wear it up for the rest of the year because I'm not trimming until next January. My hair is healthy, but looks pretty awful right now. I'm growing out color and layers so the only way it looks halfway decent is when it's up and slicked with leave-in to hide the two-tone and whispy layers.

suicides_eve
June 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I am now at akward stage # 3 shoulder length

although i shouldn't complain i still am bothered by it, my hair curls up and rest on my shoulders and that equals in my mouth, in my eye, poking my cheek, have to keep it ties back b/c of split ends now, not to mention the boyfriend and his reminders" aww i remember when you had your hair like that " or "it hasn't grown much to me" gee thanks hon, his little comments are a big fat 'i told you so' about bleaching my hair:rolleyes:

i wish i was APL already:knit: waiting....

vidgrl007
June 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I am now at akward stage # 3 shoulder length

although i shouldn't complain i still am bothered by it, my hair curls up and rest on my shoulders and that equals in my mouth, in my eye, poking my cheek, have to keep it ties back b/c of split ends now, not to mention the boyfriend and his reminders" aww i remember when you had your hair like that " or "it hasn't grown much to me" gee thanks hon, his little comments are a big fat 'i told you so' about bleaching my hair:rolleyes:

i wish i was APL already:knit: waiting....
We are soo in the same boat.:)