PDA

View Full Version : Tar in Hair

darklion
June 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
It's kind of a funny/sad story.
If you need the good news first... yes, I got it all out without cutting my hair!

They were sealing the asphalt outside of my townhouse today. I put my dog (a long haired silky terrier) on his lead and carefully carried him over to the grass to keep him off the fresh tar. (We don't have sidewalks). He promptly slipped out of his lead and trotted off into the street. I started to chase after him, only to twist my ankle and fall down, rolling around in the tar in pain.
Luckily, my neighbor saw what had happened and came over to help pull me out of the tar and catch my wayward dog. My clothes were destroyed and I had worn my hair down because I had just washed it. It had gotten mixed up in the sealing tar that was all over my back (not to mention the street) plus, my dog is now covered in the stuff.
Did I mention yet that I sprained my ankle when I fell? Oh yes. I can't walk now!
After a few minutes, I limped back into the house and started trying to wash everything off. For my skin, mineral oil was extremely good at softening the tar so that I could was it off with a detergent (DAWN, of course). I was able to save my jeans by soaking and washing them in a lot of detergent and water.
I was not able to address the dog immediately, so his tar had dried a bit before I started to wash him. I used a similar process on him that I had used on myself. I soaked him in Dawn detergent and water. I liberally applied the mineral oil on his paws (one at a time) and massaged until I felt the tar soften. Rinse. I applied detergent and massaged again. Rinse and repeat mineral oil/detergent process.
Dax the long haired dog and I managed to get all the tar out without either of us cutting our hair!!
So if you fall down in tar... you now know that you can clean it up!! :cheese:

FYI: it took me about an hour to clean the dog up.

owlathena
June 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Oh no! I'm glad you were able to get it out!

vanity_acefake
June 8th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Oh that's awful. I am so glad you are both ok and you managed to get the tar out.

Dragon
June 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I am glad you are both ok and that you managed to remove all the tar.

Malibu Barbie
June 8th, 2011, 02:01 AM
When I used to surf in Ventura I used to get tar in my hair all the time. Baby oil works wonders! Glad to hear your both ok, sorry about your ankle.

sarah061
June 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
That is horrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you!! I'm glad you were able to get it all out though, ugh! Glad you didn't have to cut any hair, that would have been so sad!

Anje
June 8th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Glad you got it out OK!

If your ankle is bad or overly swollen, you might want to get it X-rayed. There are times when it's hard to tell the difference between a sprain and a break, and you don't want to risk it healing badly.

darklion
June 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I can walk on my ankle today. It bruised up something ugly, but nothing is broken. All I need now is some rest, ice, and rehab! I'll be cruising by the end of the week (or next week).