PDA

View Full Version : The one thing

C.H.
June 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM
What single change to your hair routine has made the greatest difference in the overall condition of your hair?

shikara
June 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Oh, I'm going to mention two things - because they both make such a difference for my kind of hard to comb length (dryness in dry climate? porosity? mechanical damage?). When I damp bun, and when I lightly wet my length before bed and get it under a scarf, it is so soft and easy to comb after!! Next, is a light oiling before washing, then putting conditioner on my length, then shampoo scalp, rinse, then condition.

darklion
June 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM
1. coconut oil - conditioning and controlling my hair
2. ACV rinses - it took some time to start working, but wow does it counteract the hard water and make my hair soft.

longblondetan
June 8th, 2011, 12:46 AM
No sulfates.

christine1989
June 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM
There are so many but I think it is an even tie between 3- henna, oiling (specifically castor oil) and less frequent washing.

Roseate
June 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM
1) cutting out sulfates. My scalp no longer cracks and scales=win!
2) using enough conditioner, both rinse-out and leave-in. Moisture, my hair loves it!

2peasinapod
June 8th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Does LHC count as an answer? ;)

Eolan
June 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Can I say several things? :)

1. Going cone free. My hair really changed from that. I like it!
2. A mixture of Panacea Hair Salve and benign neglect (putting it up and forgetting about it.)

I have now also gone sulfate free, but I have to stay at it for a while before I know if it is as good as it seems. :D

Nicolioli
June 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I'm mentioning 2 things too:
- deep conditioning. controls my frizz w/o weighing down my curls. :D
- air drying. now that my hair isn't frizzy, I don't have to heat-style anymore. :Dx2

Teazel
June 8th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Honey added to my conditioner. :)

owlathena
June 8th, 2011, 01:44 AM
jojoba oil!

sharicat
June 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM
No straightening irons! I am amazed at how non-frizzy my hair actually is when I don't use heat on it. Talk about a vicious circle :eek:

Alvrodul
June 8th, 2011, 02:34 AM
1. Getting rid of my old, bad brushes and combs and getting some seamless combs instead.
2. Oiling

Panth
June 8th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Updos. Without them I was stalled at TB for years.

Rafusen
June 8th, 2011, 03:58 AM
CO washing. My hair is so much softer has has much fewer tangles. I think it's even gone a shade darker ... It looks very black now whereas before, it was just a very very dark brown.

bunzfan
June 8th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Quite a lot really, CWC , oils and most importantly updo's with sticks and forks my hair has grown so much since i started wearing it up everyday.

Aeltt
June 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM
No straightening irons!
Yeap ! After a while : no more white dots (= no more hair breaking), way less splits and no more huge splits.
And deep treatments/oiling.

pixiestar
June 8th, 2011, 04:25 AM
There's a few, but I would say Henna and not using the flat iron any more:D

oktobergoud
June 8th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Henna! :)
I've tried no poo, no sls & cones, oils, etc. But the thing I love the most is henna! I love the colour and what it does, while I still use things with cones & sls. I just try to wash it less possible and co-wash in between!

CastaDiva
June 8th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Quite a lot really, CWC , oils and most importantly updo's with sticks and forks my hair has grown so much since i started wearing it up everyday.
This is what I would have said as well:)

homeeduk8tor
June 8th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Joining LHC and therefore no longer neglecting my hair.

RachieBaby
June 8th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Probably coconut oil, my ends don't seem to break as much. Secondly i'd say updos! :)

Aredhel77
June 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Going cone and sulfate free has helped my hair the most, along with coconut oilings.

rapunzhell13
June 8th, 2011, 05:32 AM
The one big thing for me was quitting the bleach and "chemical" dyes. Quitting the straighteners and daily washings were biggies too. :)

redheadlynn
June 8th, 2011, 05:36 AM
What single change to your hair routine has made the greatest difference in the overall condition of your hair?

Probably coconut oil! :cheese:

The second would be henna, and the third would be cutting out styling products and more expensive, cone-excessive shampoos and conditioners. Simpler always works better for my hair.

jesis
June 8th, 2011, 05:39 AM
S&D and no protein! :)

Lilli
June 8th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Shampoo bars, lemon juice rinse, argan oil.

beccababesx
June 8th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Like everyone else, I cant just do one thing! Haha
- No heat; my hair has just gotten so smooth and soft - almost as if I'd used heat on it! Ironic :p
- Coconut oil on wet hair, and washing out with CO
- S&D
It really is a combination of things I think.

Sweetie
June 8th, 2011, 06:23 AM
- henna :)

Dars
June 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Quitting heat is the number one for me. Gosh it solved so so many things.

jasper
June 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Using conditioner. I wan't taking the time or trouble before. So you can guess what a difference that made.

Madora
June 8th, 2011, 06:54 AM
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil...thanks, Jojo!)

Yep, my first EVOO treat was nothing short of amazing! I never, ever, could think of putting anything on my hair except my GM products and water.

However, Jojo changed my mind, and explained how to do it. I did and GOOD GRIEF...my hair was sensational afterwards. The slip EVOO gives my mane is incredible! No more tangles! What a wonderful feeling to have hair that flies through all the braiding that I do! No more fighting with the ends that tangle (sometimes) when braiding. It's a miracle! Enthusiastically recommended (and very easy to do!)

Rebecca.1905
June 8th, 2011, 07:12 AM
No heat. Seriously - best thing I ever did! Or rather, didn't do. :-)

lapushka
June 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Realizing that my hair (F) needs protein instead of moisture sometimes. Not all the time, but regularly.

Intransigentia
June 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Coconut oil in my shampoo.

And detangling gently instead of just ripping the brush from top to bottom.

gibsongirl71
June 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM
For me, benign neglect. I don't color, rarely blow dry. I wash every other day with nothing special. I don't have the patience to deep condition. My hair is shiny and happy so this works for me.:D

lesbia
June 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Comb my hair very carefully, from the end to the roots, without broke my ends

Anje
June 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
1) Not wearing (daily!) ponytails. Oh the breakage!!!
2) Combing carefully and slowly so as not to break hairs.
3) CO washing -- so much less frizz!

GRU
June 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
CO-washing would probably be #1, especially if we can count "detangling only in the shower while coated with conditioner instead of tearing a brush through the knots prior to the shower" as part of the CO-washing experience. :D

sun-kissed
June 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM
1. Cutting out almost all hair products. (shampoo, mousse, hairspray, etc.)
2. Getting a good comb, and only combing twice a day, instead of every hour.
3. Conditioning my length. HUGE improvment on breakage and feel of hair.

Deborah
June 8th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Conditioner only Washing (CO) has been wonderful for my hair. I'll never use shampoo again. Shampoo over dried my hair, so I needed conditioner, which left my hair limp and prone to oiliness. I was a vicious cycle. CO is the perfect balance of clean and moist for me. I don't use (or need) any conditioner after washing. I simply finish with an acidic rinse, which I don't even rinse out, and my hair is great!

Kumiko033
June 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
No more Cones, no more Sulfates, Mostly Co washing only and loads of oils
God it made such a difference, only wish I had longer hair by now to see how it will turn out :)

reneemichelle
June 8th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Washing less frequently and using coconut oil on the ends!

HuggyBear
June 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM
CO washing & no sulfates = Happy scalp (no more flakes or scalp irritation)

luxepiggy
June 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Cold water rinses at the end of each wash (^(oo)^)v

MagicAndMayhem
June 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I stopped dyeing it blonde and now I hennigo :D lol

feralnature
June 8th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Coconut oil!

I also use it on my skin for lotion and I eat a big spoonful everyday as well!

vanillabones
June 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
1) coconut oil
2) satin pillowcase
best things ever

proo
June 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Water only wash with distilled water
Finger combing

I love how we all are so different.

spigette
June 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Very hard to answer.... I would have to say a toss-up between CWC and coconut oil.

WittyWordsmith
June 8th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Learning how to manage my waves/wurls/curls.

This means sulfate and cone-free CO washing, and actually paying attention to what my hair wants!

monsterna
June 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM
One thing? Dawww.... No! I will name 4!

1. No heat
2. Seamless comb with careful combing
3. Nightblooming oil and panacea! :D
4. Silk pillowcase

Rakae
June 8th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Combing instead of brushing... Purr

julliams
June 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Letting my hair do it's thing instead of treating it like hair that "won't behave". I think the best actual thing I've done would be to put moisture back into my hair. Weekly SMT's and coconut milk soaks have done this for me. The extra length has weighed it down too.

tinywife
June 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Noticing when it's unhappy, and knowing what to do about it! For me, it's usually too dry. Going sulfate-free and mostly CO has been a lifesaver.

Seharia
June 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM
ACV has made such a big difference to my hair. When I started using it it didn't do to much but now as its been a couple months I see how much of a difference it made and how much worse my hair is if I forget to use it.

dulce
June 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Mine are using a sleeping cap,airdrying,cold rinsing,no more brushes or brushing just a wide tooth comb,moisturize ends then shampoo scalp only then rinse then recondition.

Marz Hase
June 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM
It would have to be giving up the chemical dyes and going to henna!! My hair and I are SO much more happier! If I could pick a second thing, it would be cutting out 'cones and using olive oil instead of a leave-in product.

dragonchickx
June 9th, 2011, 10:57 PM
for me it was.. stopping blow dry, and washing every 3 or more days with shampoo, the rest CO. I also just got a satin head cap and it is wonderful.. I switched to a softer brush as well These combined with a small trim and I have already seen a tone more growth and its healthier throughout.

Quezie
June 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Switched from a regular paddle brush to a wooden wide toothed comb.
When I can't find this comb, I panic. D:

And my newest wonderful "thing" is adding a little conditioner to some water, in a spray bottle. So great to refresh my ends, and de-tangling!

Fufu
June 10th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Adding of camelia oil, as well as doing once per week hair treatment using loreal keratase.

dior1
June 10th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I'm taking note of everything mentioned here. Desperately.want.growth!!

IanB
June 10th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Keeping away from heat and chemicals

Curly_jas
June 10th, 2011, 07:35 AM
hmm there's a few things...but mainly
1)Going CG and conditioning a lot. My curly hair loves it, so much moisture! Best thing I've done
2) Stopped using my straightener and abusing my hair (used to always flat iron!!)

This is what has made my hair grow rather quickly in the last 8 months along with wearing my hair up a lot and not getting my hair cut at the hairdressers, they always cut my hair too short!

littlenvy
June 10th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Does LHC count as an answer? ;)
:) That sure sums it all up!

in detail:

No more dyes
No SLS

ACV
Oils (Especially EVOO, my hair loves it)
No wet combing
Cassia/Senna

CrystalStar
June 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Ah, it is cruel to make us choose only one! :p

For me my number 1 would be henna.. Closely followed by CO washes and coconut oil! :)

sweet*things
June 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
The number one thing would have to be dropping 'cones from my routine. That one change put me on the right track.

The best change would be the oil shampoo routine (Prell & coconut oil). Aside from a little fiddling now and then with the ratios, it is foolproof and my hair feels amazing from roots to tips now.

dulce
June 10th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Forgot to add oiling my ends each night.

angleofdeth
June 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Using oils...both in my conditioner and coconut oil leave in.

khan
June 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
A scalp massage, upside down. I think that is what has rebooted my growth. Also; gotta mention SMT.

Nettles
June 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM
A little Shea butter with aloe gel everyday has made my hair soft and shiny.

LunaMoon
June 10th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Clarifying/quelating shampoos changed my hair completely. Now I don't need to trim so often and my hair is always nice.
I really don't need lots of fancy and expensive treatments now.

MaKenna90
June 10th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Damp bunning and good conditioner (3MM). Definitely makes it super soft and un-poufy.

silverstars
June 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Just saying no to heat. I used to blow dry my hair every day and straighten it a lot. Its not nearly so frizzy as it was :)

NotInPortland
June 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I think stopping the heat a few years ago has so far made the biggest change, much less frizz and damage and lots of time saved that would have otherwise been wasted on blow drying and straightening!

teela1978
June 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Leaving it alone.

Mirsha
June 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Get this - actually using conditioner.

Even when I had waist-hip length hair I never used conditioner, never used it untill about a year ago.

long&blonde
June 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Honey added to my conditioner. :)
Washing cut from everyday to once a week. Dying my hair at home myself,a good 3 times a month(sometimes more)to 3 times a year salon touchups,blonde to blend w/my grey at roots only. And;LHC, which keeps me inspired,rather than become bored with changes for the better, & go back to my old evil ways. The first(of many) I ever called the 1800 number they give on Clairol hairdye boxs for help advice? They asked me names of all products id ever tried on my hair! I was young enough hen to remember too! They wanted to see my hair & offered me a free trip to NYC, lol.

Tigermama
June 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
No Cones and using olive oil as a leave in after washes.

Lorisal
June 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Spraying diluted conditioner in my hair everyday.

ratgirldjh
June 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Henna, scalp massage with auryvedic oil, and brushing 100 strokes (upside down) with my BBB every night.

OK i know that's three! :D

young&reckless
June 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Cassia and henna, they ended my need for heavy coney condishoner.

drquartz1970
June 11th, 2011, 02:10 AM
1) combing out hair from the ends first
2) using more conditioner
3) using organic hair care products that is silicone and sulphate-free