PDA

View Full Version : Help: am I really a curly in disguise?

OleanderTime
June 7th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I would have always described my hair as poofy and wavy, but lately I'm wondering if I shouldn't start using the Curly Girl method and see if I can get my waves to become curls. Do you think it could work? I come from a family of straight-hairs, so I already have a different texture than most people I'm related to.

Here's my hair STRAIGHT in a couple photos. As you can see, it does have a bit of wave to it even when I've done everything I can to get it straight (smoothing conditioner, combing/brushing, blow frying, or bunning).
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/20115_5.jpghttp://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/20108_8.jpg

And here's my hair when I try to get it curly. This is only day 1, but this is with styling gel (Be Curly by Aveda). Will it get curlier over time or is this as good as it's going to get?
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/P1040824.jpghttp://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/P1040825.jpg

Finally, which do you think looks better on me? I think I'm going to head over to NaturallyCurly.com for recommendations for curl-enhancers, but I would love those comments as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond! :)

xoerincolleen
June 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
You are definitely a curly! They're beautiful, and I bet if you tried the Curly Girl methods they would become more defined.

cuddledumplin
June 7th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Everyone's hair is different, but with my hair, it's much curlier when it's shorter. At a similar length to yours, it's at its perfect state falling right at the nexus between waviness and curliness. Products and different care methods have only made a slight difference, but it's worth a shot if you want to give it a go.

I think it looks better with the gel.

WittyWordsmith
June 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I see s'wave curls in there for sure. Another hint is that many wavies don't realize how wavy they really are until their hair grows out, whereas some super-curlies can sometimes lose curl when their hair grows out and the weight pulls it down. So if you feel like your curls are coming out with length, I would definitely start seeing what they want to show you.

Another great resource is the e-book at livecurlylivefree.com. I do a blend between this method and the CG method, and it seems to bring out lots of my curl/spirals.

Maybe take a peek into the wavy/wurly thread and see if you can relate to anything in there!

Good luck!

Roseate
June 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I have about the same amount of curl, and I call myself a 2c; I can get complete spirals sometimes, but more often it settles into a wavy pattern.

Will it get curlier over time or is this as good as it's going to get?

My hair seemed curlier once I learned how to handle it to bring out the curls and quit heat styling, but now it's pretty much leveled out. How I treat it when it's drying, and making sure it's moisturized makes a big difference for me.

Finally, which do you think looks better on me?

I like both! That's the fun of being a high 2/ low 3, we can get a variety of textures pretty easily. Do some reading around at NC.com and in the wavy/curly threads here, try some things; it's good to learn what your hair can do.

PinkyCat
June 8th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I've been doing the CG method since August of 2010 and my hair is A-MA-ZING! I'm a 3a/b and it has made such a huge difference in the health and shine of my dark curls!

Go for it - there's nothing to lose!

Joliebaby
June 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
That looks like my hair type. It can get quite tight wave and even spirals, but I usually brush a bit and don't scrunch, so it's probably usually not at the waviest it can get. Also it changes with humidity and different shampoos and conditioners, and wearing a braid/ponytail/bun or just playing with it a lot makes the waves much much looser. It has also been straighter/curlier with hormonal changes etc.

Anyway... comparing the different pictures, to me it looks like you are not likely to get much curlier. But wavy is a great hair type to have!!!

OneCurlyMan
June 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
In my opinion, there are two types of hair shape. Straight and curly.

Curly covers a wide range of shapes and forms, including yours. With long hair, I like to use the tips, and not the hair closest to the scalp, to interpret what type of curls the owner of the hair has. I would certainly say, IMO, that you have wavy hair and treating your hair from a curly haired female perspective would be best suited.

Just my curly male perspective.

GRU
June 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I recommend CO-washing and SMTing for a while... get your hair good and hydrated and then do a "hair typing" photo.... so many straight/wavy LHCers have ended up being wavy/wurly/curly after a month or two of moisturizing their hair.....

Cheeks1206
June 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Moisturize! Start doing DTs, with conditioner or something like the STM. It will make a difference in how your curls form. Mine are MUCH bouncier when my hair is properly moisturized.

Fufu
June 10th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Oh whoa, beautiful curls.....