PDA

View Full Version : HI.....can I ask a question?

zctmmom
June 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I have been visiting here for a couple of months, trying to learn the terminology, etc......everyone seems so nice!

SO, here goes.....I have shoulder length hair that is wavy and can generate a curl in the ends....maybe even spiral...especially around my face.....well, I had a DISASTROUS trim about two months ago..to the point that I was in tears, and the manager told me to come back the next day and she would fix it.....well, she did.....she gave me a "ten minute perm" only leaving the perm solution on for ten minutes...it was supposed to just gradually loosen and go away...but I have about 2inches of new growth...and the "ten minute" perm is still there...slightly relaxed, but THERE.....my hair really took the perm...the overall condition is good, because my hair LOVES conditioners and I never do anything with heat to fix it....what do I do now? All I wanted was to look good until it got long enough to put up (between my two jobs, I can be up for 24 ours at a time)....now, I have an obvious "line" between permed and non permed hair....

sorry my first ever post is so long..........beth

HairColoredHair
June 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Lots and lots of moisture may help relax the perm a little bit. Then, if you wish, you could slowly trim it off, or leave it there for a little fun curl at the ends. ;)

longhairedfairy
June 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. Do you know those miniature claw clips? I used to see a lot of girls clip a bunch of them in a row a few inches back from the forehead, almost like a headband but more decorative. It looked really pretty. Sometimes they’d leave the rest of the hair hanging loose and sometimes they’d tie it back. It might work well if you just pin back the part that’s not permed. That may help hide the difference in texture and curl.

longhairedfairy
June 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
By the way, how did she intend to "fix" a bad trim with a perm?

zctmmom
June 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Really not sure what she was intending...I THINK...and I had been up for about 30 hours at that point...that she was hoping the bad cut would be hiddenby curls and they would retain my business as the perm grew out "gently" over the next several months...I don't think she intended for my hair to take the perm so well....and I had never had one...I can't IMAGINE what I would look like if she had left it in for the full amount of time!!! Needless to say..they will never see me again....

I am conditioning my hair every other day at this point, and the ends are loving it..........if I touch my hair with water every day, it hates me.....

Liluri
June 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
That's just what I was about to ask longhairedfairy. I'm wondering if it continues to relax a bit that you might like curls at the bottom of you hair?

Does your hair have natural body? Are there things you can do to make the line less noticeable? I'm thinking bunning your hair at the top of your head when damp to create some lift or putting in curlers when damp to soften the line?

I'd love to see a picture of the line and know more about your hair type please.

zctmmom
June 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
OK...I have a digital camera...can someone talk me thru how to get the picture here?

manderly
June 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Create a photobucket account, it's free.

Upload the photo from your computer to photobucket (there's a big button)

Copy the IMG code photobucket puts under your photo and paste it in the comments box and post.

longhairedfairy
June 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM
You could also try lightly oiling your hair. Some people use extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, or (my personal favorite) camellia oil. There are lots of other things to use if you look through the section about recipes, henna, etc.

zctmmom
June 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM
thanks, I am at work today...will try to get pics of my hair tonight.

LaurelSpring
June 21st, 2008, 07:59 AM
I was a hairdresser and I have never heard of a 10 minute perm! Of course that was like 10 years ago. Here is a solution that you probably wont want to try but I will put it out there in case you do. You can unperm your hair. I have done it many many times in the past when I didnt like a perm or changed my mind. It is still using chemicals but it never felt damaging to my hair (less than the perm) and my hair always felt better afterwards.

Get a nice moisturizing type perm. Shampoo your hair and comb the perm solution through your hair. Do it gently and carfully. Your hair will be very fragile during this stage because the solutions is breaking bonds so be extra gentle. Once you have combed it through for several minutes rinse your hair very very well. It will be tangly so gently gently (again very fragile at this point) comb it out getting as much moisture out as possible (the more moisture you get out the more the neutralizer will be able to get in). Once you have it combed out put on the neutralizer and comb through again. Wait 5 minutes and rinse well. Then condition conditon condition.

This will also straighten your hair to some degree but the perm will be all gone and your hair will feel nice and silky and longer.

If you can live with letting it grow out and not do any more chemical things to it then of course that would be the best but if it is totally making you crazy this is an option. I have done it in the past and it did work for me.

Guenever
June 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hi - sorry about your hair dresser incident :/ Despite her good intentions it sounds a bit strange to repair a bad cut with a perm O.o

Anyway, I just wanted to add an online hosting site - if you weren't interested in making an account but just uploading pictures to show..

http://imageshack.us/

If you aren't familiar with the site, here's some help:
After browsing the picture on the main page, the thumbnail of the picture is shown at the top left of the appearing page.. you can show the picture in full size in stead of thumbnail by scrolling to the bottom of the page and pressing the blue word "show" where says "Show image to friends"..
Then the picture is shown full size, and below the picture to the right where it says "thumbnail mode" you just press "no" and copy-paste the URL-web address for "forum" into your post here..

I hope it makes sense :)

Isilme
June 21st, 2008, 01:44 PM
oh, I'm sorry you didn't like the outcome. Just baby your hair in general and then you can decide if you want to trim off the perm slowly or hoping for more relax.

lynnala
June 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
I had the same result with a perm many years ago, my hair is thin and fine and the hairdresser didn't think it would hold a perm at all, and wham! It turned into a kinky mess! I don't know if you brush your hair, but brushing only makes it worse. I would recommend when you wash your hair, don't shampoo the ends, and don't ever brush the ends either, just finger comb, or use a wide toothed comb for the permed area. This should keep it at least under control a bit. A tiny bit of oil on the ends, as someone above said, should help too.

You could also braid the top part when you sleep, and then maybe the wave will sort of match the bottom?