PDA

View Full Version : why have long hair?

QueenJoey
June 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
So I've been conciously growing out my hair for a few weeks. My hope is to someday have knee-length hair, maybe even beyond! I honestly don't know why I want that. Maybe for the attention, maybe just because I think it's beautiful. My whole family thinks hair that long is stringy and gross, but I'll never know unless I see for myself right?

This isn't totally about that though. My question was: what's the point of having such long beautiful hair if you just tuck it up and hide it all the time? Yeah, yeah, I get that it protects the ends and stuff, but if your so worried, why not just cut it all off. Saves you the hassle of tangles and having to move it when you sit. And if you're worried about not feeling it on your back, well, you don't feel it when it's in a bun anyways.

I don't mean to offend anyone in ant way. But when I finally have the pleasure of having hair that long, I know I'll want to have it down and display it proudly. I won't let split ends and tangles stand in my way.

Edit: I realize that I have worded this thread in a way that seems like I think long hair is a waste of time and should just be cut off. Let me rephrase, please.

Long hair is beautiful, and I only dream of having long, gorgeous hair myself. not for the pleasure of others, but just for me. I made this thread to see other people's own reasons for growing their hair.

vanillabones
June 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'd rather have very long hair that is kept in an updo 100% of the time than the length of my hair now. There's nothing pretty about a shaggy neck length mullet that can't be put up. It's a hassle in all other ways including confidence and self esteem. That's why they don't cut it I presume. Some people look very very bad with short hair, why not have a pretty updo instead, even if they don't want to wear it down. I see where you're coming from, I too would prefer to wear my future long hair down the majority of the time, but even if I never can because it's too damaging I would never ever cut it this short again. It's no good and no fun at all.

QueenJoey
June 7th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Ok, I see what you mean :)

Quixii
June 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
That's why I wear my hair in a ponytail. Yes I have some damage, but it's not extreme, and I enjoy my hair this way. :)
I think getting enjoyment out of one's own hair should be the most important thing when growing hair.

elbow chic
June 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I actually started growing mine out because I thought it would be soooo cool to have enough hair to wear a cinnabun.

Yes, the boring old cinnabun, that's what I was aspiring to. :laugh:

I STILL only barely have enough hair to make a passable-looking cinnabun. :mad: I also like braids. :D

dragonmyst
June 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I love the updos, sometimes they are prettier than the full length hanging loose. Remember in The Empire Strikes Back? Princess Leia's braids and loopdythings in the cloud city? that is the only reason I would watch that movie, just to see her hair.

Braids, buns, crowns.... so pretty and the looks you get....

I, personally, look awful with short hair. I know this very well. Long hair makes me happy, and that really is what counts. What makes you happy. :)

katsrevenge
June 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Having had hair past my bum before.. it was annoying to leave down most of the time. Yes, it was lovely...but it would get caught in doors and car windows, people would sit on it/randomly grab it and if you forgot for a second and just sat down.. you'd give yourself a very nice yank and possibly smack your head on something.

That was why I tended to keep it up most of the time. Had nothing to do with damage or split ends!

MeganE
June 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well, for one thing, the updos themselves can be incredibly amazing, when you have the length to do the really intricate styles.

For another, some people like having long hair just because they like to have it, for themselves. Even if nobody else ever sees it, it's still your hair, and you get to see it all the time.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but this next sentence is sort of coming out that way. But there are plenty of reasons why someone would like something because of how much they value it, and not just because of how much someone else values it. Cinnamon Hair said it in one of her videos, that she almost never wears it down in public, and having knee-length hair is sort of "just for you." :)

Also, hair that long can be very hazardous when it's worn down, and you have to be very aware of where it is, and what it's doing. So I'm sure that plays a role as well.

Cowgirl16
June 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I like all the "options" I have with long hair. I can wear it down (which I do on occasion), a braid or a bun. Also all the different hair toys that you can use to make each updo different. When I had short hair their wasn't any choice about how I was going to wear my hair. Now I have plenty :cheese:

elbow chic
June 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
anyway, mine is not very long, but I haven't really worn my hair down in public much at all in months now. I find it is just too much trouble. Once in awhile I'll wear it down to go out to dinner with my husband, though it tends to find itself in my appetizer, since I'm just not used to it hanging around.

Also it tends to make people stare and I don't know if that's a good thing... but it weirds me out a little.

But I am really enjoying my braids and such, and totally looking forward to having more options as it grows, so cutting it is out of the question right now.

Panth
June 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Why? Why not?

Personally, because I look awful with short hair (cowlick, double crown, widow's peak AND fine straight hair that flips under on one side and out on the other ... all on one head).

However, IMO, you may want to reconsider your goal. I think there's few and far between who get into the knee+ realm without wearing their hair in an updo at least 75% of the time. Mine won't grow past TB without being worn in updos 90%+ of the time - it's the added wear and tear that you get from sitting on it / other people sitting on it / it brushing against the many, many things that are at that height and lower.

So, for me I guess a supplementary question would be "why have TB+ hair?". I've had long hair (almost) all my life, loved it and loved wearing it down, which I did almost all the time (unless working on something where it would get in the way or be dangerous - woodwork, science classes, crafting). But, I've always wanted to see how long it would get ... and now I'm about to start work in a lab so will have to wear it tied back anyway. So, I figure, learn me some updos and make the most of being forced not to wear it down - make wearing it up all the time a choice and something I can do well and attractively. And as an added bonus I can now truly find out how long it will grow, without all that mechanical damage. So, I'm plodding my way along to knee, slowly but surely.

spidermom
June 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Very honestly, most of the time as I'm going through my life, I'm not particularly enjoying my hair. It's just there, and if it's down, it gets hot and in my way. It can even be a hazard because it gets caught in things like the seat belt mechanism, and let's not even talk about open flame. Therefore, if I'm busy with my life, I want my hair up and out of the way.

The thing about showing off your long hair is that a lot of people don't like long hair at all. So if they say anything, it's likely to be something like "why don't you DO SOMETHING with that hair? You'd look great in a bob (or a pixie or ....)" Who needs to listen to that? Plus, from what I've heard (but rarely experienced), a lot of people feel perfectly o.k. about putting their hands in your hair while they comment on how long it is. I've never heard of anybody copping a feel of some stranger's bun.

It's hard to explain why I like long hair so much, but I do. I love to see it and when I've got the time to pay attention to it, I like to let my hair down and comb it out.

Misti
June 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
what's the point of having such long beautiful hair if you just tuck it up and hide it all the time? .

Long hair, for me, isn't about other people. Neither their opinions nor to show it off for them. (If it were, I'd be very disappointed. People rarely look admiringly at women my age with long hair! :p ) I do, occasionally, wear my hair down for the pleasure of feeling it swinging against me. I occasionally ask my honey to comb it and braid it. Sometimes I even wear it long utside the huse to feel the breezes play with it.

But if it was always in my way when I am cooking and working in the garden, there would be a lot less joy and a lot more annoyance associated with it in my mind.

I also love the variety of looks I can get because my hair is long. Updos, both severe and foofy, half updos, and down. Short hair would bore me to tears!

My reasons for not cutting my hair are partly fiscal (I'm too bloody cheap to spend $80 every six weeks to keep a good cut) and partly spiritual -- but the joy for me in my long hair doesn't require that it always be down or that anyone but me and my beloved ever see it or know about it.

You seem very young, QueenJoey, and it perfectly natural that a young woman might concern herself with her attractiveness to other people. But that isn't all there is to life. As you get older, other people's opinions come to matter far less.

Carolyn
June 7th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I look at it as why not have long hair? I can't think of a single reason to have short hair. I have it for me. It's mine mine mine. I don't have it long for anyone else. If that were my mindset, I'd be really disappointed because my hair doesn't get much, if any attention from other people. It's all about how it makes me feel and how I view myself. I don't feel any need to show it off and have other people see it. When I see my hair in the mirror when it's down, in a braid, or in a bun with a cool hair toy, I'm happy. I'm all about making me happy. We've had a bunch of threads on this topic before and if you are curious about what others have said, I'm sure you can find them. I think this question comes up with someone who is new to the long hair game. They haven't experienced all the cool things about it. Until you've had those moments for yourself, you can't really understand the thoughts and feelings associated with having long hair. Give yourself time to grow and enjoy your hair. You'll see.

Mariacus9
June 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I know long hair is more work, but I think its well worth it. I absolutely am in love with the way it looks. There's just something about it...I don't see a lot of people with waist length hair on a daily basis, and I can't help but admire/envy it.

nobeltonya
June 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Having kept my hair short [boy cut] for several years, long hair is nice because you can do more with it. You can't do a thing with short hair.. although it is much cooler, less time-consuming and doesn't get in the way when you do anything. But, it's kind of plain. Long hair can be braided, bunned, ponytailed[?], etc. And, HEALTHY long hair is a sign of good health. :)

ladyfey
June 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I never wear my knee-length hair down, but I get to see it down every day. I love that. But I also love all the beautiful updos I can do. Updos also keep it out of the way, once it gets really long it can be a little hard to live your life with it down and all over the place!

Wavelin
June 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I want to grow long hair (now about APL, want waist+) for several reasons. Besides thinking it's pretty, it's a fun challenge to grow it long and still keep it healthy.

Also, I'm going to work as a dentist and will have to have my hair up 5 days a week for the rest of my working life. Anything below a couple of inches is very disturbing when working, and non-hygienic. Waist length hair will be easier for me to have up and away, in non-damaging up dos. I can't even get a french braid to hold now, and my buns won't last all day.

Panth
June 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
This is the other thing:

I know long hair is more work, but I think its well worth it.

Long hair is not more work. I've spent years doing nothing more than washing it once or twice a week, letting it air dry (sometimes overnight), combing it once a day ... and getting masses of complements. Oh, it's so unusual. Oh, it's lovely to see someone who wears her hair long. Oh, I love your hair. Oh, how do you make it so blonde/shiny/long/soft/whatever? Erm, by being incredibly lazy and doing nothing more than combing it. Granted, my hair was not LHC-perfect (I wore it down all the time ... it was very tapered from that) but I got loads of complements for very little work.

That is one reason I have long hair. I'd never have the patience or desire to get up at least 30 mins early, wash it every day, straighten it, style it, etc. I'd never have the patience, desire, willpower or effort to dye it every couple of weeks and go to a stylist every month or so ... never mind not wanting to spend that money!

Long hair is so much easier! It's definitely the lazy person's option. :p

(Not that one can't fuss with it and make lots of work out of it ... but the minimum required input is so much less!)

jessie58
June 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Sexy. It makes me feel sexy, soft and I enjoy it. I enjoy caring for it, styling it and looking at it. I love that my husband loves it. I suit both long and short hair but long hair makes me feel so much freer.

Rin4Christ
June 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I am growing mine just for the updos. I think hair sticks are fun and I love figuring out new ways to make a bun with the hair stick. I don't like having it down much because it gets too messy and tangly....

Mine is long because its fun to do stuff with. If and when I get tired of doing stuff with it, I'll chop it off, donate it somewhere and go back to chin length. (then grow it out again until i get tired of it again...)

see_turtle
June 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I just plain ole like the way it looks.
I also like the way it feels against my arms and back when it's down.
Playing with it and mastering new updos is entertaining (yet frustrating at times)

I like how it looks in buns and braids as well that's why I wear it up. Plus it protects it so it will grow longer! win win.

TheBluffs
June 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Did anyone also mention that there are so many updoos that you can do with long hair? ;)

Mesmerise
June 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hey QueenJoey, I know what you mean... although I don't want to have knee length hair (cause I think I WOULD have to wear it up all the time or it'd drive me nuts), I also don't *personally* see the point of having long hair if it's tied up all the time. If I liked the look of my head with all my hair up so much, I'd just have it short (cause errm I don't know that having all my hair pulled back is any more flattering than a pixie...). However, I like the way it LOOKS when it's out and flowing! Sure updos can be pretty themselves, but I don't feel that they make me look very pretty cause all my hair is pulled away from my face, and I think I look better with hair framing my face!

So yeah, I'm growing my hair long so I can wear it down when I feel like it and when I want to feel attractive! I won't wear it down all the time because on a day to day basis it's gonna get in the way doing stuff like housework etc. or working out or whatever else I do. But at least when I go out and want to look pretty I've got my long hair! (Yeah, you could get it from extensions but meh...I'd rather have my own).

I do like experimenting more with updos these days, but most of the time I have it done fairly simply because it only takes me a few seconds to do it!

Spike
June 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
My question was: what's the point of having such long beautiful hair if you just tuck it up and hide it all the time?

See, I used to feel this way. I wore my hair in a pony or french braid because it was "in the way" and finally I said, why not just lop the dang stuff OFF?

So I did. Got a convertible at about the same time, and loved having hair that could blow in the breeze without tangles.

Then I fell in love with updos and found this board, which taught me I didn't need to be built like a Hindu goddess (eleventeen arms and hands) to do buns and braids.

And I love the updos, especially with the whole steampunk movement. You really can't do many of the elaborate styles without at least BSL hair. It's also true that long hair up is functionally the same as short hair down--no tangles, no closing it in the door you just locked behind you, no having to move it when you go to the bathroom. And the best part is that I can take it down at night and shake it into a mass of wurly curls.

That all said, your hair needs to make YOU happy, first and foremost. Some folks want it long and hanging, even though they may not get to amazing lengths, even though they may have to stay right on top of their trimming schedule. So long as they're happy with it--I and my Edwardian bun will wave as we enjoy our ice cream on a breezy summer day.

MonaLisa
June 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Some people love updos, can make incredible ones and they look great on them.
I share your attitude. I love my hair loose, but i figured out i'll have to compromise...wear it up to protect it as much as possible and have it down when i feel like it.
I don't see why i would go around home damaging it...
and also it's already perhaps 'too long' to wear it down at work ( very corporate environment and strict dressing codes, including ' no extreme hairstyles' and ' hair always neat and cut' lol whatever that is supposed to mean)...
so that still leaves decent time to wear it down, when i'm enjoying my free time and yummie activites :)

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I loved wearing my hair down at bsl but now I am nearly hip it gets a bit annoying especially on a windy day and trying to eat without not getting a mouthful of hair! I do occasionally wear it down for a night out but nearly always end up clipping it back, plus since wearing it up more its retaining its length.

But having said all that, its your hair to do as you please. From reading other threads relating to this subject waist length seems to be the length where people just put it up and out of the way. Classic is the length I am aiming for just to say ive been there LOL however, I will probably cut back to waist or hip as it might irritate me, but you never know I may grow to thigh!

selderon
June 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I chose to grow my hair longer because I liked the way it felt and looked when it was long. I had lots of fun with different cuts and colors when it was short and now I'm ready to have long hair again. Long hair used to feel so... feminine. Long hair can be worn a wide variety of ways, including up. I like updos! And the hair toys! :crush: I plan to wear my hair down at home (particularly indoors) and on occasion when I'm out.

The way I see it is that growing healthy long hair is similar to developing a lean, athletic body. You don't have to show it all off all the time to enjoy the benefits.

Sabriel
June 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
The responses on this thread are really interesting!

If I'm being completely honest, it's a self-esteem thing for me. I think long hair looks pretty and I like the way it looks on me. I probably get more compliments about my hair than anything, which is why it's important to my self esteem. A lot of people are saying their hair is just for them, and I really admire that. But hell, I'll admit it - having long hair makes me feel better about how I look when I'm in public. So for me *personally* wearing it up all the time would defeat the purpose of having it. Hip is the longest I'll ever want it (my ideal length is somewhere between waist and hip, I'll figure it out when I finally get there :)) so I'm not going to need to wear it up all the time. I'm not going to wear it down all the time either, that gets annoying and boring.

About the whole negative feedback from others thing - I've only gotten negative feedback from women, ironically. Even when my ends were in ****ty condition men loved my hair. Truthfully, how women think about my appearance doesn't affect my self-esteem - it's not their opinions I care about. :lol: I think once you get past hip length a lot of people start thinking it's "weird" but that's also around where most people need to keep it up all the time to keep growing. I have a feeling that people who want to go past hip have different reasons than people who don't. I could be completely wrong but it's an interesting thought.

elbow chic
June 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
About the whole negative feedback from others thing - I've only gotten negative feedback from women, ironically. Even when my ends were in ****ty condition men loved my hair.

I know, right? I've never heard a dude go, "ugh, look at those split ends!" :p

JadeTigress
June 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I'm growing mine out because I've always had long hair. It was my trademark; everyone knew me because of my hair. Even when I was a baby, I had tons of hair. I was past shoulder length by the time I was a year old, and at classic before I started kindergarten. And it was kind of funny, because when I was little I always wanted to cut my hair and my parents wouldn't let me. As I got older, I didn't want to cut my hair anymore, and that's when everyone kept telling me I should cut my hair. I finally caved in at 19, and cut it off to BSL (it was funny the first time I went to brush it because I couldn't figure out how). I kept going shorter and ended with a pixie, and then started growing my hair back out. I've now experienced short hair, and I don't like it, so I'm done with it. :p I think it's way harder to maintain, and I'm lazy. :p And honestly I think short hair gets in my way way more often than my long hair ever did. It was always falling in my face, but it wasn't long enough to pull back. I'll never get used to having short hair. And I think I look way better with long hair. Even long hair in a boring updo looks way better on me than short hair.

So now I'm growing it out atleast to classic, but if it will get longer than that I'll certainly let it.

Mesmerise
June 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I have a feeling that people who want to go past hip have different reasons than people who don't. I could be completely wrong but it's an interesting thought.

Hmm you could be onto something there...I want to go to hip (probably no longer...although a longish hip) because I think it will look pretty at that length while loose and flowing down my back ;) yes I want long hair to show off (and I don't care if some people hate it...I ignore the haters :p). Well not just to show off...but so *I* feel pretty! I just like it!

And yet there seem to be those who want much longer hair, and who wear it up all the time so most people never get to see how long it is, as they never wear it down. Now I can't speak for people who grow their hair that long (and I don't judge it because I think it's AMAZING!!) but most don't seem to do it in order to be able to wear it out ;).

I've noticed some who don't trim off their more tapered long ends because they're easier to put in an updo...whereas at a personal level, I'd be more concerned with how they look when my hair's loose than with how they go into a bun! So yeah, I think there are different motivations there between those who want just "long" hair and those who are aiming for the really super long and unusual lengths!

Although, I don't like to generalize and whack everyone into a particular category either ;) As the OP said, she wants to grow her hair really long so she CAN wear it out and show it off! I know there are others with super long hair who like to wear it loose too, and those who don't have such long hair but who love doing updos every day. So... each to their own really!

Elianna
June 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I want to grow mine longer because I just generally have always liked long hair. I think it's beautiful, youthful, and very feminine. I would say I actually feel like I look my best with long hair. And I feel prettier even though I'm just an average looking lady. Just like with my hair curly..my hair just generally looks better in it's naturally curly state..so I keep it that way. I look like a plain Jane with straight hair.. but with my curls..people say all the time it really suits me and I should never straighten. And well I don't. Now I'm just dying to have MBL hair though! LOL!

Silverdragn7385
June 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I'm growing mine out mainly just to see if I can still keep it looking this nice with it being very long. The upkeep is fun. Also, my hair (along with how I do my eye makeup) has always been my trademark...I enjoy the compliments. I do bun it during the work week, but this is strictly for protection (and my laziness) so that it looks nice when I get dressed up and wear it down! Buns...no bun hold any aesthetic appeal to me. Nor do a lot of updos. On me or anyone else. >_> *hides* So I definitely don't grow it for that. I love it long and LOOSE! :D

Slinks
June 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I loved wearing my hair down at bsl but now I am nearly hip it gets a bit annoying especially on a windy day and trying to eat without not getting a mouthful of hair! I do occasionally wear it down for a night out but nearly always end up clipping it back, plus since wearing it up more its retaining its length.
!

lol !! yes .. I was eating an ice cream on the way back from the shop with my Mum recently, I was on vacation up there, and my hair really wanted a bit !! :-) it was breezy ..

I have my hair long because it's always been on the short side BSL and now that I'm getting older, 46 and letting myself go natural (I've never really dyed my hair) I've decided that I'm going to have hip length gray hair .. why not !! :cool:

:-)

Sabriel
June 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I've noticed some who don't trim off their more tapered long ends because they're easier to put in an updo...whereas at a personal level, I'd be more concerned with how they look when my hair's loose than with how they go into a bun!

I've noticed that too and I feel the same way. I can definitely see how it would make updos easier, but I'm not growing my hair for the updos! (even if I really like some of them)

I ignore the haters too :) I mean really, what do people have against long hair?? If you don't like it don't grow it! I think some of it's jealousy though. If a woman (and like I said in a previous post, all my negative feedback has come from women) sees someone with long gorgeous hair it's not something she can go to the salon and get.

gthlvrmx
June 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Because i don't feel terribly proud of displaying splits, breaking, and damage from leaving it down all the time. Plus, if i can have more length by keeping it up, i'll do it. That way i can show it off later. It's better for me personally to display the care and patience i have with my hair than have people see it all the time, not many will often appreciate that.

owlathena
June 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I ignore the haters too :) I mean really, what do people have against long hair?? If you don't like it don't grow it! I think some of it's jealousy though. If a woman (and like I said in a previous post, all my negative feedback has come from women) sees someone with long gorgeous hair it's not something she can go to the salon and get.

This reminds me of how the other day my friend confessed that the reason she gives me so much crap for being vegan is because she doesn't think that she could commit to something like that and that she secretly respects me for it. People often talk bad about things out of jealousy. Hair included.

spidermom
June 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
This is the other thing:

Long hair is not more work. !)

Long hair is more work for me. Combing out the tangles without breaking hair is time consuming, then factor in styles that have to be re-done because they aren't working for some reason (pulling or coming undone), the time it can take to learn a new style, visting LHC to learn how to take care of it. If only someone would give me money for every hour consumed by my hair!

Madora
June 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Personally speaking, it's a combination of vanity and the versatility of long hair.

My hair is my crowning glory and my only beauty. Also, I love being able to create new hairstyles that highlight it's beauty. I love the creative juices that start stiring..and the pride when a hairstyle is finally brought to fruition.

Hair need not be worn down to be considered beautiful. Of course wearing it down is very eye catching..but there are too many negatives when one considers damage issues..and other issues that sometimes make the news at night.

Long hair styling versatility is a lost art..for the most part. It's a pity because it isn't that difficult, once you learn the basics (and have enough hair to work with).

Lastly, you can save a ton of money not having to rely on weekly visits to the salon to keep your style looking "just right". Works for me!:cheese:

EdG
June 7th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I have long hair because hair is supposed to be long.

Why else would it grow long? :ponder:

The real question to ask is why do other people have short hair?
Ed

Chiara
June 7th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I have a slightly different take- I change my mind about my hair all the time, cutting it etc. But then I realised that I can have short hair whenever I want (if I cut it), that I have years and years to have shorter hair styles. But long hair takes time (unless you don't mind a wig/extensions)... So, should I ever reach a decision that I stick to for longer than a fortnight that involves cutting, I know I can act on that really easily. In the meantime, I'm enjoying playing with styles, hairtoys, oils etc etc

McFearless
June 7th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Wearing updos don't mean you are hiding it. Some people just don't feel like others have to see their hair in order to enjoy it. I know I don't.

elbow chic
June 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Ed

dude that's actually kind of deep.

or else I'm actually kind of drunk.

EdG
June 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
dude that's actually kind of deep.

or else I'm actually kind of drunk.It's the former. I've thought about this question for over two decades. :D
Ed

ksanka02
June 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I want long hair to look different than most of the women around me. I do want them to be jealous :)

xoerincolleen
June 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Think of all of the styles that you can't do with short hair. I had a perpetual bob from the ages of 9-12, and it was NO fun playing sports, swimming, or dancing with hair that short. I couldn't do anything with it! It was always in my face and was quite annoying. There are so many beautiful updos that can be done with long hair and that look even more beautiful with super-long hair. It's just so much more versatile.
And, there's the impracticality/safety issue. I imagine hair longer than maybe tailbone length being extremely difficult to wear down all the time, just because it would get in the way! My hair is waist length and it's already starting to get in the way. Putting it up is just easier, and then when I wear it down, it looks that much better because it's been protected.

LaurelSpring
June 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
This is a question that you are just going to have to grow into. One day it will dawn on you why and it will all make perfect sense.

Sewas
June 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
After 45 years of perms, hot rollers, haircut appointments, hair spray, etc. I decided my hair needed a rest. At my age (64) I did not think I would be able to grow out much length. To my delight, my hair can still grow! It is just above waist length and I keep it up and out of the way most of the time. I do not wear it loose because I don't like it flopping around while I am doing housework or when playing with my dogs. I wear it loose after washing so it can air dry...and that is blissful. To date nobody has suggested I cut it. A few women at the store have asked me where I purchased my "fake" braided bun. I am having so much fun.

Marz Hase
June 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I had tailbone length hair when I was little... and then when I became a teenager, I chopped it all off into a bob. I rocked the bob until about... 2009. That's when I decided I wanted to see if I could grow it out. I lost the 'cones, lost the bottle dye(henna, yay!), and went to a minimal use of sulfates. I removed all styling products, choosing to use only olive oil and ACV rinses.

Now it's BSL, and I'm LOVING it. Especially now that I can play with all these toys I didn't think I could ever use! I used to think people had to have some sort of special type of hair for sticks and sticks alone to hold it up... Now I can do it too! Sure, I wear it down every once in awhile... and I get a lot of compliments, but it's a little freaky when people feel the need to fondle your hair all the time. I actually find the idea of TOYS TOYS TOYS more exciting than wearing it down! :D God I love toys... I don't have all too many, sadly... But I window shop and day dream!

shikara
June 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
This is reminding me of an older post, where the woman was at a dinner party, with an updo that needed fixing of some sort. As she knew she could do it quickly, she let it down with the intent to quickly get it back up - but she was 'caught'. People couldn't believe all that hair fell out of that smaller bun!!!

I grew my hair because, while many shorter styles looked good on me, I absolutely loathed that type of primping, with all the products, and rollers, and salons, only to have it fall out on me by noon:rolleyes: It's a rare occasion that long hair down really gets my attention anyway. I love the feel of it drying down my back and falling across my arms, or lately, feeling it on the front of my leg when I'm sitting down!! But I adore the different 'images' all the different updos, smooth and messy alike, can give me. And there's something satisfying in tucking it away..... but as a previous poster said, to each her (his) own!!

DorothyAtForty
June 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM
My question was: what's the point of having such long beautiful hair if you just tuck it up and hide it all the time?

I've had short hair and I've had long hair. I prefer long hair on myself. There are just more options to having long hair. Since coming to the boards, I've learned how to better care for my hair, and got turned on to hair toys! :cheese: I personally wear my hair up for a couple of reasons. One, the temperature's extreme where I live during summertime and wearing it down would be way too hot, and two, I am growing out damage and want to protect my hair while it grows to its long, healthy potential. By winter, I'm certain I'll be wearing it down again.

Masara
June 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Of course, I'm growing my hair long for me. Because it feels right. But, if I'm being really honest, I have to admit that I'm also growing it to show it off, to impress other people.

And here's the thing. Down, my hair isn't all that interesting. but I can make it so much more interesting with updos and hairtoys than it ever could be loose.

Then my hair is also very fine and "floaty" and tangles very easily. So if I want it looking good, I'd have to stop every half hour and brush it through. That would drive me mad and it would end up being cut pretty quickly I think.

angelshair
June 8th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I have this kind of fantasy that once I reach a certain length I'm going to wear my hair down ALL the time and just enjoy it. I really doubt it though. Since it is really hard for me to grow my hair long (my hair breaks easily) I guess I see it as an investment. That and I really like updo's. So I think if I manage to grow it that long I will wear it down on special occasions and for my DBF. Right now I'm superneurotic about having it up and feel guilty if I wear it down because of the damage and I really really REALLY want to get to waist once in my life. I know it's bad.

I also confess to growing it out to show it off, as well as for personal satisfaction. I like to look good, and I like the look of long hair. It makes me feel feminine and beautiful.

Btw Masara, I think your hair looks very beautiful and interesting down, but we wouldn't want you to go mad and cut it from brushing it :P

Zindell
June 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM

I pretty much always keep my hair in of of these three different styles;
- All down
- Dutch braid (down)
- Half-up with a little braid

I love my long hair, and I don't want to hide it away. :D

I understand and respect those that do put it up all the time though, and there are some really nice up-do's out there!

vanity_acefake
June 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM
The reason I'm growing my hair as long as it will grow is so I can do all the beautiful updo's that I can't do on short hair. My hair is almost at waist and although I can do many of the styles I love, as it is so thick I will have to grow it much longer to do all of them.
I have had extremely short hair (shaved completely), a pixie, bobs, and until now my longest was bsl. I have never had long long hair. And I adore long long hair.
And in my opinion long hair is so much easier to style. No hairdrying, no straightners, no gel and no bleach needed. If it is annoying you one day you simply put it up. If you are bored with it you learn a new updo. The styling possibilities are endless.
Oh and I fully intend to be an old woman with super long hair who is going to grow old disgracefully!
:)

Lippytoes
June 8th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Oh and I fully intend to be an old woman with super long hair who is going to grow old disgracefully!

That is an awesome way of putting it. Me too! :D

rena
June 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I'm growing my hair long because its just no good short. Its too light, and therefore puffs more easily. But longer, it will have more weight to help pull it down, not to mention more hair to manipulate into styles. And frankly, if its going to be fluffy, I'd rather it be long fluffy than short fluffy :).

Ribbon
June 8th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I'm growing my hair long because I loved it when it was long (back in high school - over 10 years ago!). I gave into peer pressure and cut it (still was long, at APL) in college thinking it would be healthier looking and easier. It certainly wasn't easier, and the health didn't change for better or worse. The idea that long hair is hard work is pretty much a myth. My friends spend way more time on their short hair than I do on my hair. When I got my first full time job, I cut it to shoulder length, and didn't like it at all. My hair has a natural wave and it didn't "hang" well like it does with long hair.

Now that I'm about 30, more of my friends are cutting their hair to shoulder length and above. I'm kind of quietly rebelling against the trend and hoping to reach BSL soon. I like the variety - braids, buns, wearing it down. I know there's a million ways to wear shorter hair, but most involve gels or sprays. With long hair, you don't have to use many chemical-laden products. With my chemical sensitivity, this is a good thing indeed!

Tressie
June 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
After 45 years of perms, hot rollers, haircut appointments, hair spray, etc. I decided my hair needed a rest. At my age (64) I did not think I would be able to grow out much length. To my delight, my hair can still grow! It is just above waist length and I keep it up and out of the way most of the time. I do not wear it loose because I don't like it flopping around while I am doing housework or when playing with my dogs. I wear it loose after washing so it can air dry...and that is blissful. To date nobody has suggested I cut it. A few women at the store have asked me where I purchased my "fake" braided bun. I am having so much fun.

"Fake " braided bun! That's a good one! I hope you didn't disabuse them of that assumption! :D

Tressie
June 8th, 2011, 06:55 AM
The reason I'm growing my hair as long as it will grow is so I can do all the beautiful updo's that I can't do on short hair. My hair is almost at waist and although I can do many of the styles I love, as it is so thick I will have to grow it much longer to do all of them.
I have had extremely short hair (shaved completely), a pixie, bobs, and until now my longest was bsl. I have never had long long hair. And I adore long long hair.
And in my opinion long hair is so much easier to style. No hairdrying, no straightners, no gel and no bleach needed. If it is annoying you one day you simply put it up. If you are bored with it you learn a new updo. The styling possibilities are endless.

"....grow old disgracefully!" Love it!:D

selderon
June 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Long hair is more work for me. Combing out the tangles without breaking hair is time consuming, then factor in styles that have to be re-done because they aren't working for some reason (pulling or coming undone), the time it can take to learn a new style, visting LHC to learn how to take care of it. If only someone would give me money for every hour consumed by my hair!
Weirdly enough, I spend a lot less time on my hair than I did when it was short. I expected to wash daily and spend a minimum of 20 minutes styling. Now it's an oil treatment every three days (while I clean house or whatever), a wash every three days and about five seconds to roll it up and clip it out of the way.

Lastly, you can save a ton of money not having to rely on weekly visits to the salon to keep your style looking "just right". Works for me!:cheese:
Weekly? Really? I managed to have my hair cut and colored about 1/6 that often. Are you thinking of having it set weekly?

pittsburgpam
June 8th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I like long hair for myself and I'm another one who's going to grow old disgracefully (LOVE THAT!). Why have long hair if you're going to wear it up? Besides all of the practical reasons there are, for me, several others. It's like a woman who wears clothes that leave nothing to the imagination, skirts barely covering cheeks, shirts that barely cover the girls, a dress so tight she might as well be wearing nothing. It may get a lot of attention but probably not always in a good way.

I may be old fashioned but having my hair up keeps something of myself private. I think of times of taking my very slightly damp and cool hair down and having my love bury his face in my neck and say, "mmmm, your hair smells so good."

NativeGirl
June 8th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I keep my hair long because I'm not allowed to cut it. Not that I would want to even if I could. I went through chemo four years ago, and lost all of my ankle-length hair. It was devastating. I got to experience short hair when it was growing out, and I hated it. I couldn't do much with it. Though my hair is kept in a traditional Seminole top knot 99.9% of the time - let down publicly only during times of mourning - I still prefer my long hair.

heidihug
June 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Attention, please!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this in this thread yet, but I would just like to say that nearly identical threads asking this question have been started at least six times since I joined. Here is the most recent. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54784)

Unless new members or those who haven't contributed before to this topic would like to post, you will probably find a concensus of answers in the linked thread. :)

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Ed

very good answer Ed and very true!

QMacrocarpa
June 8th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I doubt that I could reach even my modest goal of waist-length without keeping my hair in updos/braids almost all the time (earlier in my life I believe I hit false-terminal about BSL). And I love updos, and learning new ones! Self-made hairtoys have become a fun creative outlet! It gets absurdly hot here in the summer and I mostly don't use air conditioning, so hair-off-the-neck is a key to my summer comfort. I have yet to master (or am too lazy to bother with) making the most of my curl pattern, so my hair just goes "boom" when down (that was the sound of frizz). But my husband likes my hair longer, and is willing to comb it sometimes while we're hanging around watching a movie (he wasn't very interested in doing that at chin-length). I've had very short, pixie-ish hair, and what I mostly remember about it is being mistaken for a boy a lot. I get a lot less of that with a big ol' bun on the back of my head!

I love Ed's answer!

selderon
June 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I keep my hair long because I'm not allowed to cut it. Not that I would want to even if I could. I went through chemo four years ago, and lost all of my ankle-length hair. It was devastating. I got to experience short hair when it was growing out, and I hated it. I couldn't do much with it. Though my hair is kept in a traditional Seminole top knot 99.9% of the time - let down publicly only during times of mourning - I still prefer my long hair.
Ooooh! I have questions!

1. What do you mean by "not allowed to cut it"? What would the consequences be if you did?
2. What does a traditional Seminole top knot look like? Where can I see decent pictures of this? (Or is that not allowed?)

Fadedbluedreams
June 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Why have long hair? Because a braid is one of the coolest fashion accessories a girl could ever have :) I heart braids, but also, I feel more beautiful with long hair.

Rakae
June 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I guess I want my hair to match my personality. I'm a bit roguish, so long untrimmed hair compliments a mysterious, untouched look

Madora
June 8th, 2011, 09:03 PM
@ selderon...

My next door neighbor went to the salon every week! But she had money to burn.

Considering the prices salons charge for a single braid, people who are handy with their hair can also save a bundle by doing braiding it themselves!

nucleardelusion
June 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
:shrug: I like learning new braids. I'd like to see how long it can get. I just like having long hair.

JuliaDancer
June 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I love the way long hair looks and feels, and I love the variety of updos I can do with long hair. You think why have long hair if it's up all the time, but it's to keep it beautiful and do pretty styles. It's more special when I have my hair down now, and I'll sometimes leave it down after work or on weekends. If you really had hair to your knees, you wouldn't want it down all day every day. It would get annoying...

maybe sparrow
June 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
what's the point of having such long beautiful hair if you just tuck it up and hide it all the time?

...because it's not up ALL the time. It's down sometimes. For a particular audience--my husband. It's sort of like having a sexy magic trick.

The trick wouldn't work if it were down all the time.

NativeGirl
June 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Ooooh! I have questions!

1. What do you mean by "not allowed to cut it"? What would the consequences be if you did?
2. What does a traditional Seminole top knot look like? Where can I see decent pictures of this? (Or is that not allowed?)

Because my family is very traditional, we're not allowed to cut our hair. Not even trims. I'm not sure what the consequences would be - though I'm sure the elders in my family would be disappointed.

http://www.native-languages.org/hair12.jpg
This is how the top knot is worn. It's pretty much a bun/messy bun thing.

prettykitty
June 9th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Because it's boldly, unashamedly feminine.

Fairlight63
June 9th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Because: I think that "older" ladies (I am 66) look elegant in long hair in an updo.

You can do so many hairdo's with long hair. Short hair you can only do 1 way - short.

You don't spend a lot of money or time at the hair salon. I spend it on hair toys :p

I hate the look of: the short gray "poodle do",
the short dyed to a "frazle do", the hair doesn't even look healthy, just kind of like dead fake doll hair or something.
or real short hair cuts that make you look like a man - that seems to be what a lot of older ladies seem to get here in Wi. UCK

But to each his own, I want my hair long, they can have theirs short, I don't care - just leave me alone.

redheadlynn
June 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM
So I've been growing out my hair for a few weeks. My hope is to someday have knee-length hair, maybe even beyond! I honestly don't know why I want that. Maybe for the attention, maybe just because I think it's beautiful. My whole family thinks hair that long is stringy and gross, but I'll never know unless I see for myself right?

This isn't totally about that though. My question was: what's the point of having such long beautiful hair if you just tuck it up and hide it all the time? Yeah, yeah, I get that it protects the ends and stuff, but if your so worried, why not just cut it all off. Saves you the hassle of tangles and having to move it when you sit. And if you're worried about not feeling it on your back, well, you don't feel it when it's in a bun anyways.

I don't mean to offend anyone in ant way. But when I finally have the pleasure of having hair that long, I know I'll want to have it down and display it proudly. I won't let split ends and tangles stand in my way.

I have mild trichotillomania, which means I tend to stare at my ends and pull them out if I find too many splits/white dots and I don't have scissors, so I put my hair up to save it, and keep it down when I am otherwise busy and won't mess with it too much. But I do understand! Long hair, when down, is gorgeous!!! At least, if it is the maintained beautiful hair that is so abundant on these boards. Maybe you can be the person to show your family that long hair can be beautiful? :)

Misti
June 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
...It's sort of like having a sexy magic trick.

The trick wouldn't work if it were down all the time.

Love it!:D

dragonmyst
June 9th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Considering the prices salons charge for a single braid, people who are handy with their hair can also save a bundle by doing braiding it themselves!

I understand that not everyone can do braids in their own hair for a multitude of reasons, but it still blows my mind that people would go to a salon and pay to have someone do it.

oh and I LOVE Ed's answer.

PianoPlaye
June 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
My growing hair long is for me. It's been neglected for years & I just made the call to do a bit of reading, do a bit of research & see what can happen in three years. Oh yes, it *can* be a chore, but as others have said, I have so many more choices than I ever did as a shorthair.

Also a good hair day now is stupendous. Not quiet as good as being pregnant, (those hormones - whew!), but when my hair is good, it is very very good & I feel about 6" taller.

If anyone tries to "cop a feel", I'll be intrigued. Unless it's my husband, intrigue may segue into a right hook.

My hair is part of me, and what others think of it is their opinion. Words. Some of which can hurt, most of which can be resoundingly ignored.

Sexy magic trick - oh yes... Why on earth would I go back to it short?!

And Ed? Spot on!

Loviisa
June 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Having long hair is the last sentence you leave after you.

IanB
June 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Because you want to!

Slinks
June 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
But to each his own, I want my hair long, they can have theirs short, I don't care - just leave me alone.

I LOVE every sentence of this post BUT this one made me :lol:

Fufu
June 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Why have long hair?

i feel that having long hair, I can have more varieties of hair styles. I can tie it up, a simple ponytail. I can do half up. I can do braiding, I can do hair buns. I can do sock bun curls. or I can just keep my hair naturally loose.

As my cheeks are broad, having longer hair frames my face so much better.

I only intend to keep my hair till waist, anything longer than that, I'm not mentally prepared yet.

LunaMoon
June 10th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I think long hair is much more beautiful then short hair. It's so much more versatile and actually I have fun taking care of it.
It is my therapy, my hobby. For some are nails, body building, make up, for me is my hair.
My hair is still too short for most of nice up-dos I am looking forward to learn.
Long hair styling is an kind of art indeed....

newbeginning
June 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I've had mine long my whole life. I just think long hair suits me and I'd get sick of being able to do nothing with short hair. I would hate growing out short hair too (all the awkward stages). I've gotten the 'why have it long if you wear it up' comment before. Basically it's my hair and it's long because I like it that way and it's my hair to do with what I want.

Sunsailing
June 11th, 2011, 06:04 AM
So I've been growing out my hair for a few weeks.
Growing it for a few weeks? Do you usually get cuts more often than every few weeks? :D

Attention, please!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this in this thread yet, but I would just like to say that nearly identical threads asking this question have been started at least six times since I joined. Here is the most recent. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54784)

Unless new members or those who haven't contributed before to this topic would like to post, you will probably find a concensus of answers in the linked thread. :)

Just about every single possible topic has been covered since I joined. We could just make the forum inactive and archive the whole thing. But what would be the fun of doing that? :(

The thread linked to was from 10 months ago. Plenty of time has passed to discuss the topic again. Different members will respond this time with different responses. :)

Madora
June 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
@sunsailing...

You're quite right! The topics are being reintroduced all the time (albeit worded differently) because new hair seekers are discovering this wonderful site..and looking for help.

We were all new to this place at one time. Why not give new members the same courtesy and answer their questions..if possible.

The sharing of knowledge is a great gift. Spread it around!:cheese:

Milui Elenath
June 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Why have long hair and where it up?
The previous mentioned magic trick. I guess I've been influenced by all those old movies where the hair pins fall out or are taken out just before the big romantic kiss. Perhaps also by song lyrics, this one comes to mind.

"In his arms she fell as her hair came down among the fields of gold" among others.

Long hair makes me feel beautiful.

Also I'm a bit eccentric and it's fun to say out of nowhere in a conversation "did you know that there are over 30 ways to wear your hair up?" :D (Probably more than 30 and if they doubt me I can always demonstrate :eyebrows: ) and I find it amusing to see peoples faces when my hair does come down because my bun is small and belies the length.

Ultimately I have long because it can be short (up) but short can never be long.

QueenJoey
June 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Besides thinking it's pretty, it's a fun challenge to grow it long and still keep it healthy.

Yes, I think that's what I was thinking myself.

heartgoesboom
June 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Because my family is very traditional, we're not allowed to cut our hair. Not even trims. I'm not sure what the consequences would be - though I'm sure the elders in my family would be disappointed.

http://www.native-languages.org/hair12.jpg
This is how the top knot is worn. It's pretty much a bun/messy bun thing.

so is your hair extremely long?

celebriangel
June 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I like every aspect of long hair.

Also...a bun/updo is totally a legitimate style option. Can't I *like* all the awesome buns I get to wear? Can't I really enjoy thinking I have 1203942739 options for how to wear my hair on any given day, and none of them take longer than 5 minutes?

I also think those of us who have truly long hair (or want it) - by which I mean, classic plus sort of lengths, where it starts to become more difficult to take care of and needs to be worn up all the time - start to experience a strange attachment and some privacy things when it comes to our hair. Some of us start *wanting* to wear it up, not wanting others to know how long it is, or saving it for the special people in our lives. Long hair kept up most of the time is more intimate and special when let down.

If anyone keeps up with Igor's blog, she often wears a scarf over her hair when going out. It's a strange phenomenon, but there you go. Perhaps you will reach the same place in your hair journey sometime - I know I am beginning to think this way, adn I believe it will only intensify as my hair gets longer - or perhaps you will still be someone who wishes to rock her hair down lots of the time.

Either option is totally fine. But I still have long hair because I like it. I *especially* like the whole fall out of bed, grab hairstick, lazy wrap bun routine which takes all of 10 seconds in the morning. Or a cinnabun topknot with 2 spin pins.

My hair also looks awful down at shorter than APL unless I straighten it, which completely defeats the "keep it short to wear it down" purpose.

gthlvrmx
June 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I like every aspect of long hair.

Also...a bun/updo is totally a legitimate style option. Can't I *like* all the awesome buns I get to wear? Can't I really enjoy thinking I have 1203942739 options for how to wear my hair on any given day, and none of them take longer than 5 minutes?

I also think those of us who have truly long hair (or want it) - by which I mean, classic plus sort of lengths, where it starts to become more difficult to take care of and needs to be worn up all the time - start to experience a strange attachment and some privacy things when it comes to our hair. Some of us start *wanting* to wear it up, not wanting others to know how long it is, or saving it for the special people in our lives. Long hair kept up most of the time is more intimate and special when let down.

If anyone keeps up with Igor's blog, she often wears a scarf over her hair when going out. It's a strange phenomenon, but there you go. Perhaps you will reach the same place in your hair journey sometime - I know I am beginning to think this way, adn I believe it will only intensify as my hair gets longer - or perhaps you will still be someone who wishes to rock her hair down lots of the time.

Either option is totally fine. But I still have long hair because I like it. I *especially* like the whole fall out of bed, grab hairstick, lazy wrap bun routine which takes all of 10 seconds in the morning. Or a cinnabun topknot with 2 spin pins.

My hair also looks awful down at shorter than APL unless I straighten it, which completely defeats the "keep it short to wear it down" purpose.
Amen :D It's grown on me more now, feels weird to wear it down

QueenJoey
June 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. My whole family keeps saying I shouldn't go very long like I want to. I figured that if there was one place where a whole bunch of people would have many reasons for it, it would be here. Thank you for so many responses, I've never had so many to a thread I've started!

And I totally didn't mean what I said about just cutting it all off, I should know as I've had short hair my whole life and wasn't fond of it at all.

I hope I haven't pissed anyone off, although I'm pretty sure I have.

CaityBear
June 12th, 2011, 12:08 PM
For me it's because of all the things I can do with it. I may have it up all the time (and mostly in simple buns) but I know there's a million more updos I can do than if I had short hair. So that's the reason for me. Plus every now and then I just love having the long hair hang down and showing it off and getting those jaw dropping reactions. :P

vindo
June 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
1. Updos are pretty and for me mix it up, I woukd be bored with down all the time too so I go for 1-2 days a week.
2. I rather have healthy tucked away split free long hair than damaged long hair so it is a small sacrifice to me...but does not feel like it because of 1.
3. I like many lengths and styles, but ultimately, something princess length is my beauty ideal that is why I grew it long. I love medieval things and past things, so being able to wear period hairstyles is wonderful. :)

bluesnowflake
June 12th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I like the uniqueness and variety of styles you can do with long hair and how pretty it looks when I do wear it down. I don't wear it down that often so that it will look pretty when I do.

Ribbon
June 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
-for me, I find long hair easier to manage then short hair - I use hardly any products aside from shampoo/conditioner, but with shorter hair, my waves would go in all directions
-my face shape looks better with longer hair
-I like my natural color, and so I like having more of it!
-I've always preferred long hair; I went shorter due to feeling like I should due to my first full time job/being out of college - but I wasn't really happy with that decision
-now that I'm almost 30 I see my friends getting shorter hair and I feel like it's time for me to finally say "I like long hair and I'm going to grow it no matter what the trends are!"

Bene
June 12th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Some of us, and by "some of us" I mean me, aren't interested in showing it off. What I get from this question is "Long hair is obviously meant to show off, so why keep it up?" and if that's the case, then WOW, I totally disagree with that.

I find something so... I can't find any nice words for it... offputting about the idea of growing my hair for the sole purpose of displaying myself for others to appraise like that. I don't treat my hair like a piece of leather hide to be graded and pawed over, or complimented or whatever. Long hair for the sake of long hair. It's for me to have, not for the viewing pleasure of other people.

McFearless
June 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. My whole family keeps saying I shouldn't go very long like I want to. I figured that if there was one place where a whole bunch of people would have many reasons for it, it would be here. Thank you for so many responses, I've never had so many to a thread I've started!

And I totally didn't mean what I said about just cutting it all off, I should know as I've had short hair my whole life and wasn't fond of it at all.

I hope I haven't pissed anyone off, although I'm pretty sure I have.

You were genuinely interested in why people have really long lengths when they put it up, and I don't see any problem with asking. I'm glad you got some answers. You should know, people will always tell you wanting to grow your hair very long is a crazy idea. Its best to keep that to yourself, and maybe share it with only people who aren't going to be judgemental.

QueenJoey
June 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Some of us, and by "some of us" I mean me, aren't interested in showing it off. What I get from this question is "Long hair is obviously meant to show off, so why keep it up?" and if that's the case, then WOW, I totally disagree with that.

I find something so... I can't find any nice words for it... offputting about the idea of growing my hair for the sole purpose of displaying myself for others to appraise like that. I don't treat my hair like a piece of leather hide to be graded and pawed over, or complimented or whatever. Long hair for the sake of long hair. It's for me to have, not for the viewing pleasure of other people.

Oh no, that's not what I meant at all. I meant that...ok how do I put this? I love having long hair because I love seeing it by my elbows when I lean over, or feeling it on my back when I'm in a bathing suit. It reasons like that that I love my hair, and I can't have that when it's up, which is probably why I haven't really caught onto buns and why I stick to braids (also, I love taking my hair out of braids and getting those pretty waves)

I in absolutely no way meant that I keep my hair long for other people's approval. It's my hair that I live with everyday, and no one else's, and I've never given a care in the world how people think of me. I just said that as an example of how I have no one reason why I grow my hair long.

Venefica
June 13th, 2011, 02:57 AM

I was thinking this to quite a bit of length ago. Now I did not even know wearing it down could damage the hair, I have never seen such damage, however after a certain point having long hair loose get both impractical and even potentially dangerous. A woman I heard about was driving go carts with her hair loose, it got caught in the wheels of the car and ripped her scalp off, not just her hair, her entire scalp.

To answer your question though. First off all I like to look of buns. It do not matter what event, if you have a bun that looks elegant. I prefer the look of a bun to the look of just short hair, at least on me, and I also love braids. Secondly long hair become a symbol of hard work and dedication, they constant care and effort one have to put into keeping long hair looking good. Third when I buy a nice set of lingerie it is not to show the whole world, it is hidden under my clothes, but I am still feeling prettier when wearing nice underwear with lance than when just wearing something plain out of cotton, even if no one beside my hubby get to see it. Long hair for me is not just about showing how long it is by wearing it loose, it is something I am proud of.

flourish
June 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I wear my hair up atleast 90% of the time because it's so thick that it gets reeaaaally hot. It's hard to do any pretty hairstyles when you have shoulder length, thick curly hair, so I usually end up just slapping it all in a ponytail or pulling the top half/sides back from my face.

I want long hair for the days I want to wear it down, because it will be nicer and more manageable than my hair now and because I think it looks more feminine, and so that I can wear all kinds of cute updos and hairstyles. I can't wait til the day I can do all kinds of braided buns and crowns and whatnot.

spidermom
June 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I definitely have those times when I want my hair loose and free. Sometimes I even leave it down to walk the dog (if it's a cool day and no wind). But it's not to show it off. It's to feel it and see it on my shadow.

Slinks
June 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I definitely have those times when I want my hair loose and free. Sometimes I even leave it down to walk the dog (if it's a cool day and no wind). But it's not to show it off. It's to feel it and see it on my shadow.

Oh I love looking at my hair in the shadow !! there was a thread started on this .. I think ?? it was Beatnik .. hmm, lol

QueenJoey
June 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM

That's so funny you say that, because I do that when I'm walking the dog, too! Sometimes I'll just stand still and lean over so my hair looks longer in my shadow.

RitaCeleste
June 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Well, my hair got long this time because I just ran out of cuts I wanted to try and hate on my head. If I put my hair up, it hurts when I take it down. I would only put it all up for a job and/or safety reasons. I like barrettes where I pull the top layer above my ears up and back and this seems okay(is loose and doesn't hurt to take down later). I hate it when the barrette rips out hairs upon removal so I just use those occasionally. I'm all about comfort! I color mine a lot so I need protein treatments, deep conditioning treatments, oil for my hair. I'm not sure how I feel about spoiling my hair this way and the time and money I spend on it yet. I grew mine out all natural with layers before. It still had breaks, splits, and even more texture. I can look at silky, all one length hair all day, it doesn't mean mine will ever grow out that way. Updo's wouldn't save my hair or really make much difference. I've worn it up a lot for jobs. It has waves, I'm gonna use a brush on them, it will have poof. Its mine, it is what it is. I look at the cost of products, the time I put into caring for it and do things I can live with. My hair is not perfect looking or anything but it suits me.

Ligeia_13
June 20th, 2011, 02:54 AM
That's so funny you say that, because I do that when I'm walking the dog, too! Sometimes I'll just stand still and lean over so my hair looks longer in my shadow.

I do that too :D Sometimes depending on where the light is coming from, it looks longer in my shadow anyway, so no leaning required :p

Eolan
June 20th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Everytime I see this thread title I just want to say: WHY NOT? :cheese:

pepperminttea
June 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Everytime I see this thread title I just want to say: WHY NOT? :cheese:

Me too! :lol:

Helix
June 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Why do I want long hair? Hmm...let me count the ways...

I believe that long hair will give me more styling options and give my arms less of a work out. I'm also hoping that the weight of long hair helps reduce the amount of shrinkage I get (though I'm kind of skeptical because my hair strands weigh next to nothing - on the bright side at least I won't get any headaches from my featherweight hair).

I also want long hair because I never had it as a child (got it to grow slightly longer as a teen when I began to take care of it) and am curious to see how I look with it. I do believe it will flatter my face more so there's a little vanity involved.

dragonmyst
June 20th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Why have long hair?

Because I CAN.

:P

dudes I've done the shadow thing too... lol

Eolan
June 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Me too! :lol:

I know, right? :beercheer:

ladycaladium
June 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Why have long hair? Because I want to. I like the look and feel of long hair and I like all the up-dos that can be done with longer hair.

CareBear
June 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I had short hair for a long while, and there were basically 3 ways to wear it: clipped back with barrettes, dryed naturally, or styled.
Now with long hair, I can: braid it! a bazillion different ways! Bun it! a bazillion different ways! Updo! a bazillion different ways! Wear it down! (ok, 2 ways, half up or all down) Anyway, I LOVE my options now as a longhair. I know it's rare to turn on the tv and see a celebrity with long hair that isn't a) extensions or b) in a ponytail so it's easy to lose sight of the fact that having long hair isn't necessarily all about wearing it down.
just my 2 cents :)

MaryRose
June 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have had both BSL and pixie and every hair do in between. Short hair served its purpose for the time being and now I am growing my hair back out. I love the way I look with my hair pulled back and put into combs. I feel long hair makes me look and feel sexy. I usually get the most attention from men at APL+ length. I am going to grow my hair to waist length therefore I can wear it down without it getting in the way. I love the versitility of longer hair. Right now I am wearing my hair half up with a bun, my length is APL+. I love long hair for me.

Kdc0180
July 1st, 2011, 11:48 PM
I think long hair is classically and romantically beautiful! It's almost fairytale like to have long hair these days and it's very rare. I suppose that's why I'm growing my hair out. Because I never have, and I want to be unique in that way :)

MikeGP
July 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM
I actually never wanted my hair long it just sort of happened over years by not getting haircuts and now that I have it I don't want to part with it.

Brazuca22
July 2nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Well I had crazy long hair when I was younger it was adorable and curly then I had it cut. It was never the same... :( Ever since then it's been this process of growing it out and then getting restless and cutting it again. I always had this urge to cut it all off and then (this sounds silly) I would have this almost painful feeling and then regret it when I wanted to grow it back out a few months later. On top of all this I'm Brazilian and just like women there are known to be tan, long hair is a very common thing associated with beauty and I think it's just culturally ingrained in me. I'm growing it out and planning a nice loooong while leaving it that way I'm going to have to resist the hair cutting urge lol.

P.S. My hubby LOVES it long ;P

Alun
July 2nd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Because I'm a bit of an old hippie, and because I had endless arguments with my mother over growing it long when I was younger.

Ed is right too - why do people cut it short?

As for the whole updo thing, that's still a bit avant garde if you are a guy. In fact, I can remember when guys didn't even wear ponytails. Our only option to get it out of the way was an Indian headband, which didn't work all that well.

It just wasn't done for a guy to wear a ponytail until after Sly Stallone (Rambo!), who ironically later cut it all off. (ETA: Of course, he's an actor, so it was probably inevitable he'd cut it for a role) Karl Lagerfeld wore a ponytail before Stallone, but no straight guy wants to model their appearance on a gay fashion designer. Well, perhaps Stallone did?

Of course, now that all seems ridiculous, and I can put it in a braid without drawing any attention. Times change. However, I prefer it loose most of the time anyway. My hair weighs very little, and will probably never grow much longer than my waist, probably because it tends to break.

I do remember one guy who wore a ponytail all the time and was pressured to cut by his boss telling him that if he was going to tie it back all the time he might as well cut it off, and he did. True story. Oddly enough, that makes me disinclined to tie my hair back when I am at work, so I always go to work with it loose. The real paradox there is that some younger guys are convinced that they must tie it back at work or they will get fired. I guess we are all the product of our experiences.

IanB
July 2nd, 2011, 01:36 AM
Because you want to!

Fethenwen
July 2nd, 2011, 01:57 AM
I find long hair empowering. Too be able to have super long hair in good shape is something special, like to be able to control such a length and to keep it neat is not all that easy. Also I find long hair to be quite different even exotic, especially in today's modern world where we are told all the time to get a trendy haircut by media. Having it down and showing it off is just a small part of having long hair I think.

I have yet to experience that :p I have average length now so far, but I would love to have crazy length hair.

MoonlightShadow
July 2nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
i ask myself that question too :/ once i get to my goal, i'll let it down majority of the time probably, but i would still like to wear it in different updos.
and if i just decided to wear it up all the time, i still wouldnt decide to cut it off because long hair is very versatile and can be worn in many different styles :)