PDA

View Full Version : Blonds - what products have affected your color?

Sabriel
June 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I've recently converted to poo bars. I bought a couple samples from CV and I'm very happy with the results so far. I read parts of the shampoo bar thread, read about them on the website, etc. I read about ACV/vinegar rinses... And then all of a sudden I start coming across people saying that these can change hair color (particularly or only for blondes)

So far I've been using the chamomile and citrus bar - and yes, for this one only the website said that it can bring out highlights in blonde hair. I hope it does - has anyone else noticed this affect?
I also just read that ACV rinses can redden/darken your hair. My hair is already dark blonde so I do NOT want it any darker. However, some reddish tint sounds awesome.
I've also read about honey lightening your hair. At this point I don't want to go through the whole honey lightening treatment thing - maybe someday, but I'm experimenting with enough at this point. However, I was wondering if any of the honey cv bars would affect my hair? Or other products with honey?
I've also read that rosemary can darken the hair - unfortunately this was after I ordered a sample of the Rosemary Lavender Aloe cv bar (rosemary oil is the main ingredient). Would the cv bars with rosemary darken my hair?

Are there any other herbs that can lighten/darken hair that i should be aware of? Or other products? I plan on sticking to natural products, and to cv bars specifically for as long as they work well with my hair. I just don't want to screw up my color without realizing what I'm doing!

I'd love input from anyone about any products that affect hair color :)

ETA: just realized that I spelt blonde wrong :rolleyes: I'm not a dumb blonde, I promise :D

ladyfey
June 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I use the same Chagrin Valley Cham. and Citrus, haven't noticed color change with it. The only thing I noticed color change with was LUSH's blonde solid shampoo, it gave my hair a greenish hue which went away after I stopped using it.

Panth
June 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
You didn't spell it wrong. Blond(e) is one of the very few words in the English language which changes with gender. Blonde is for women, blond is for men. Thus, you were simply addressing the male LHC members who have that hair colour.

... as for answering your question, there's already a whole thread about this here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71207

Carolyn
June 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I avoid ACV like the plague. I want to stay as ashy as I can. I do everything I can to enhance that. So I use only white vinegar. I also use Mrs Stewarts bluing in my final rinse sometimes. Just a couple drops in about 1 quart of filtered water. Lemon used to give me wonderful high lights in summer when I was outside a lot. Now I'm not the sun worshiper that I once was.

Sabriel
June 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

Panth - that's very interesting! For a minute I was thinking that they both looked right, but I did a quick google search and only blonde came up so I figured I was wrong. Also thanks for the link! I feel bad posting threads with questions that I'm sure have been covered, but I rarely have luck using the search function :(

Unfortunately I'm still really confused. My hair is currently dark blonde with a good amount of natural color variation/streaks. I like that about my hair, and if something is going to lighten or redden my hair a bit, that's awesome. I don't want it any darker though. Dark and red don't go hand in hand, do they? I mean if you have light blonde hair then it would, but do I need to worry about that if I have dark blonde hair?

I actually started using white vinegar but I kept reading that ACV was better so I switched. But someone in that thread said that white is better? I know that to some degree it's a matter of personal preferance, and I'll use whatever works best for my hair. I've had good results with both, so if ACV is only going to add red tints to my hair, I'll keep it, but if it's going to make it darker, I'm switching back to white.

ladyfey - that's too bad, but I wasn't expecting a significant difference anyway. I'll have to stay away from that lush bar!

carolyn - wow your hair is beautiful, if I had that color I'd want to protect it too!