PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good idea to strengthen hair

bunzfan
June 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
My hair is growing loads since last year and i don't really have any splits but my ends feel so dry to me i'm not sure if this just because the ends are old and this is new to me or that the ends are just parched.

I treat my hair very gently only comb or brush once dry wear it up daily and oil the ends every day but they still feel very dry to me, i have a henna protein pack on my head which i plain on leaving on for an hour before rinsing.

My question is as i have damage on my mid lengths and ends from old chemical dye and my hair loves protein conditioners would doing this weekly be ok or overkill?

The other problem which makes it look damaged is the ends almost look golden compared to the dark roots as i already use henna would a heena gloss be a good idea to even up the colour? in some lights the ends have a tinge of orange:o

HairFaerie
June 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
To me there is no such thing as overkill if your hair is responding well to something. I get dry, "crunchy" hair and I thought it needed moisture so I would use various oils. It seemed to worsen the problem. I was reading about protein and so I did some homemade treatments and WOW! It seems protein is what my hair really needed. I will continue doing it as often as I can until I see that my hair isn't responding any more, then I will back off.

So, to answer your question more directly...if your hair responds well, do it as often as you'd like! :)

Amber_Maiden
June 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Sorry for being lame... but what sorts of protein packs can you make??? Might be what my hair needs.... :)

bunzfan
June 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM
To me there is no such thing as overkill if your hair is responding well to something. I get dry, "crunchy" hair and I thought it needed moisture so I would use various oils. It seemed to worsen the problem. I was reading about protein and so I did some homemade treatments and WOW! It seems protein is what my hair really needed. I will continue doing it as often as I can until I see that my hair isn't responding any more, then I will back off.

So, to answer your question more directly...if your hair responds well, do it as often as you'd like! :)

Thank you HairFaerie :) i just thought you had to be really careful about how much protein you put on your hair, but when ever i used a protein conditioner my hair was super soft and curlier than ever

Sorry for being lame... but what sorts of protein packs can you make??? Might be what my hair needs.... :)

I don't know about home made one's but i use a henna wax treatment which has protein in it.

HairFaerie
June 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM

You are not lame!

The one I just experimented with consists of coconut milk (put it in the refrigerator first to solidify it so it's easier to apply), honey, aloe vera gel, olive oil & Nexxus Keraphix reconstructing conditioner.

My next experiment will involve coconut milk, avocado, honey & rice bran oil!

Aside from coconut milk & avocado, bananas can also be used in the recipes. All of them add a natural shine and softness to your hair.

I don't have a food processor, that's why I started with the coconut milk. The avocado and banana treatments would probably be better if pureed, also much easier to wash out instead of "chunks".

You can use just the natural ingredients or you can also add some conditioner like I did. To me it gives it that extra boost.

I highly recommend them! It just might be what your hair needs. You never know! :)

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Id be careful of too many protein treatments, if your ends are dry its moisture you need to get in them. An SMT will certainly help with this, even add a bit of henna for colour. I oil daily and at just past waist never get dry ends any more.

Good luck!

bunzfan
June 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Id be careful of too many protein treatments, if your ends are dry its moisture you need to get in them. An SMT will certainly help with this, even add a bit of henna for colour. I oil daily and at just past waist never get dry ends any more.

Good luck!

Ah thank you i have a moisture conditioner that i use a lot but its pretty light, can you recommend any that are thicker cone free and won't break the bank.

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
An excellent one for our hair type is tigi moisture maniac it can be used as either a everday conditioner or a deep conditioner. Its cheaper on ebay and you can get salon sized ones for around £12 or TJ Huges do a smaller one for £7 but you only need a bit. Ive just used up a salon sized one and bought that in July 2010! so great value.

Ive just tried the tressemme natural moisture conditioner which is very good too, on special offer at Boots at the moment 2 for a fiver! Aloe vera gel on offer too at Holland and Barrets the extra strength now £4! bargain!

rogue_psyche
June 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
My bleached hair loves protein. My hair is always so sleek after using the Sally's K-PAK knockoff. I've used it as often as weekly, but I get better results using it every other week.

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Sounds like protein overload to me, but my hair is very sensitive to that. If in doubt; clarify and follow with a deep moisture treatment like an SMT.

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
^^ thats what i was thinking. I work on the principle of dry hair needs wetting (moisture) and wet hair as in mushy needs drying (protein).

Protein is excellent if you have bleached or damaged hair as it fills the "gaps" damage or bleach has caused and a little on undamaged long hair is good as the ends have been exposed to many shampooings, weather etc but too much of a good thing will show in dryness, same as too many moisture treatments will show in mushy, mossy feeling hair; its about finding the balance that suits your own individual hair type.

Even though we may find people with the same hair type, there are variants as we have all had different elements exposed to our hair. Therefore our hair may resemble another persons hair but its texture and needs may be different!

bunzfan
June 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hmm your reply Jojo has made me wonder. I always use inecto conditioner as its cone free and high in moisture as far as i know, as its pretty light i have been using the naked range coco butter deep treatment as far as i know it's cone free but i could be wrong.

Last time i CWC there was a big knot in my hair and i finally got it out in the shower with plenty of conditioner but my hair was sooo stretchy. Another point i was thinking on the protein front is i eat a fair bit of meat and fish in my diet i wonder if that could be the problem....

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Ingested protein shouldnt be a problem. The 2 conditioners ive mentioned are both conefree though you would never guess. Have you tried honey? my hair loved honey in conditioner or even just dissolved in warm water. i just wash my hair as normal and then pour the mix over my head let it soak and then rinse, gives wonderful shine and surprisingly isnt sticky, great for skin too!

bunzfan
June 8th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Ingested protein shouldnt be a problem. The 2 conditioners ive mentioned are both conefree though you would never guess. Have you tried honey? my hair loved honey in conditioner or even just dissolved in warm water. i just wash my hair as normal and then pour the mix over my head let it soak and then rinse, gives wonderful shine and surprisingly isnt sticky, great for skin too!

No i thought they might be high in cones. Thank you i will be checking those out i had a quick look on ebay and they had them for about £7. So far i tried honey in my conditioner i believe it draws moisture from the air so i will be trying that again.

After my henna wax treatment last night which has some protein in it it has left my hair really soft so maybe that's what it needs as usually i stay away from protein conditioners. Someone also mentioned that coconut oil can effect the protein in your hair so i am going to try EVOO on the ends instead.

Thanks again :D

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Henna wax is a good treatment, pound world has them too for a erm...pound! :D