PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cutting your own hair?

Becky9679
June 7th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I know how to cut my own hair into layers and when I cut my hair in November to get rid of some of those layers I combed it all forward over my shoulders and cut in a straight line across the front which gave me a curved hemline at the back, however it didn't look very neat.

Are there any tips and tricks for cutting your own hair? I'd like to be able to give myself a blunt hemline once it's grown a bit more (currently doing the 'no trims in 2011 challenge' so I've got a while to learn about self-trimming before I do it!)

Mesmerise
June 7th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Have a look at Feye's Self Trimming (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) method, which is used by a lot of LHCers very successfully (it's what I'm now using to trim my own hair).

longhairdntcare
June 7th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I 2nd Mesmerise's post, that's what I use to cut my hair!

vanity_acefake
June 7th, 2011, 04:18 AM
After hearing about it on a thread here I bought a CreaClip on eBay.
I have successfully cut my daughters and my fringe with the small one. Have yet to use the long one.
I do not have the self confidence to try feye's self trim method.
:)

Ligeia_13
June 7th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I need one of those. I tried Feye's method and I just can't get it right.

newbeginning
June 7th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Maybe I'll try Feye's method. Thanks for the info.

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 05:08 AM
The thing with Fayes method is to trim very little. when I have brought both sides forward and trimmed. i then put both ends together so they are central and even them up, this gives me a more straighter result. Its all practice but go for smaller trims at first until you get the hang of it.

|Xei
June 7th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I personally like to split my hair into horizontal sections, and then cut it starting from the bottom layer. I'd even out that layer first, and then I'd use it as a guide for cutting the other sections.

Becky9679
June 7th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Have a look at Feye's Self Trimming (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) method, which is used by a lot of LHCers very successfully (it's what I'm now using to trim my own hair).

Ah, I thought of maybe doing something like this but it's good to know that another person has used it and it works! Will definitely give that a try when I come to cut my hair again (and do a lot of practising at pulling down the scrunchie in the meantime so it will look neat!)

Thanks to everyone else who commented as well :)

Ribbon
June 7th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I always balked at trimming my own hair, low self confidence of my abilities! But, Feye's advice looks easy, so I may get brave and try next time I need a trim. I have noticed that going to cheaper salons (where it's $10-$15 instead of $25+) is better for me - the hairstylist there seems to respect my decision to have a little trim and will only take the minimal amount off. The more expensive salons agree to take a minimal amount off (I say 1/2 inch) and then I see 2-3 inches snipped off!

I'd love to learn how to trim my own hair - it would save not only money but aggravation!

littlestarface
June 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I tried feyes cutting numerous times but I always fail I just cant get it straight I always end up with a crooked hemline it looks ridiculous. I quit trying to do it myself but it is so hard finding someone to cut my hair with whom I can trust not to cut too much.
I try the sliding the scrunchy to the ends and when bring it over my shoulder and cut is when it goes uneven.

princess03
June 7th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I tried feyes cutting numerous times but I always fail I just cant get it straight I always end up with a crooked hemline it looks ridiculous. I quit trying to do it myself but it is so hard finding someone to cut my hair with whom I can trust not to cut too much.
I try the sliding the scrunchy to the ends and when bring it over my shoulder and cut is when it goes uneven.

I have the same problem except it was only slightly uneven. what I do now is I don't tighten my hair tie too tight so that when I pull down some hairs aren't pulled down longer than others :p

littlestarface
June 7th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I have the same problem except it was only slightly uneven. what I do now is I don't tighten my hair tie too tight so that when I pull down some hairs aren't pulled down longer than others :p
Do you do anything else to stop it from going uneven?

I am thinking about having someone gather all the hair at the back and then bring it over my shoulder... but I dont know I hate uneven hair even if its just alittle uneven it drives me crazy.

princess03
June 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Do you do anything else to stop it from going uneven?

I am thinking about having someone gather all the hair at the back and then bring it over my shoulder... but I dont know I hate uneven hair even if its just alittle uneven it drives me crazy.

well the thing is I never know for sure if it is super even because I have wurly/wavy hair that I don't straighten so I guess it depends on your hair texture :(

I skip all the steps in Feye's method to the last to get a straight accross cut where I tie my hair to the back and pull all the way down with a scrunchie then grab the ends and dust. my hair is pretty healthy so I normally just do this to gradually get rid of layers :)

littlestarface
June 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
well the thing is I never know for sure if it is super even because I have wurly/wavy hair that I don't straighten so I guess it depends on your hair texture :(

I skip all the steps in Feye's method to the last to get a straight accross cut where I tie my hair to the back and pull all the way down with a scrunchie then grab the ends and dust. my hair is pretty healthy so I normally just do this to gradually get rid of layers :)
Thanks,I do the same thing :)

Nymphea
June 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I self trim also, and I do it in a very similar way to Feye's method.

First I section my hair at the back, in the middle of the head, all the way back from top of the head to neck.
Then I concentrate on the one side, sectioning one by one part and trimming them, keeping them at the same length, correcting the trim as long as the whole half of my hair is trimmed evenly. I repeat this with the other half of hair, making it even with the first half.

I keep my head straight (not looking down or up) while I'm doing this, and I comb my hair after every single snip (that section that I'm trimming).

I hope I wasn't confusing; English is not my first language. :)

ellen732
June 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Also remember to use sharp scissors, if not, that could lead to the hair coming out uneven.

Madora
June 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Feye's self trim is MARVELOUS! Highest recommendation!

Becky9679
June 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I always balked at trimming my own hair, low self confidence of my abilities! But, Feye's advice looks easy, so I may get brave and try next time I need a trim. I have noticed that going to cheaper salons (where it's $10-$15 instead of $25+) is better for me - the hairstylist there seems to respect my decision to have a little trim and will only take the minimal amount off. The more expensive salons agree to take a minimal amount off (I say 1/2 inch) and then I see 2-3 inches snipped off!

I'd love to learn how to trim my own hair - it would save not only money but aggravation!

That's exactly how I feel about it, I hate going to salons because they never cut it how I want them to and then charge me for the privilege. If I cut it myself then I have no-one else to blame!

The trick to cutting your own hair (as I learned from doing my own layers) is to take as little as possible off at a time. You can always take a little more off if it's not enough but if you cut off too much there's nothing you can do!