PDA

View Full Version : About Coconut Oil

Dark Queen
June 6th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry if this is a repost, though I searched and didn't see it anywhere else. I thought you all might like to know that Amazon has some deals on Nutiva Coconut oils right now if you do the "subscribe and save" (you can always cancel later). I havent' been using coconut oil, for very long, but so far I'm really loving it. Hope that helps someone :)

IanB
June 10th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I've found Vatika coconut oil good too

MomOf2Gremlins
June 10th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I get mine (54 oz) from the vitaminshoppe. They have free shipping until end of this month for all orders over 25$! :)

Dark Queen
June 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I've found Vatika coconut oil good too

I get mine (54 oz) from the vitaminshoppe. They have free shipping until end of this month for all orders over 25$! :)

Sounds pretty good. I've gotten quite hooked on the stuff myself :D

Annibelle
June 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I was hooked on it, and then it started lightening my ends. :( So I've had to give it up...

Firefly
June 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I was hooked on it, and then it started lightening my ends. :( So I've had to give it up...

Plain coconut oil, or the Vatika? I ask because I noticed the Vatika has henna in it and I wondered about it possibly altering color. :ponder:

Annibelle
June 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Plain coconut oil, or the Vatika? I ask because I noticed the Vatika has henna in it and I wondered about it possibly altering color. :ponder:

I was using plain coconut oil. :( It started turning my ends a GORGEOUS golden color, but... I don't want my ends that color. :P I stopped as soon as I noticed it, so only a few hairs are actually blonde now, but many now look golden in the sunlight. (My natural highlights aren't blonde, they're more of a red... so while it still looks like it could be natural, I don't want to get my ends so light that it looks like I'm growing out a dye job! :eyebrows: )

Dark Queen
June 10th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I was using plain coconut oil. :( It started turning my ends a GORGEOUS golden color, but... I don't want my ends that color. :P I stopped as soon as I noticed it, so only a few hairs are actually blonde now, but many now look golden in the sunlight. (My natural highlights aren't blonde, they're more of a red... so while it still looks like it could be natural, I don't want to get my ends so light that it looks like I'm growing out a dye job! :eyebrows: )

What!? :confused: Is that common? I've never heard of that happening to anyone else here. I really hope that doesn't happen to me, because I already want to darken my sun-lightened ends as it is :(.

Annibelle
June 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
What!? :confused: Is that common? I've never heard of that happening to anyone else here. I really hope that doesn't happen to me, because I already want to darken my sun-lightened ends as it is :(.

I think I've read about the same thing happening to others here, but I can't remember which thread it was in... >_<

Annibelle
June 10th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Here's something I found when googling... a commenter on another forum said this: "I know that honey, cinnamon, cardamon, and coconut oil naturally contain peroxide and for that reason they can lighten hair but they do not deposit color." http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/68516-natural-ingredients-change-hair-color.html

Dark Queen
June 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Oh great :rolleyes:. Well, I haven't noticed any changes so far, other than the fact that my hair feels super hydrated while using it, so I suppose I'll take my chances, heh. I'll post back later, if I ever do notice a change. Thanks everyone!:)

Firefly
June 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Wow, thanks for the info, Annibelle. I had no idea!