PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana for hair?

Just Tabby
June 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Hey everybody. Now please don't get offended at this question because, believe me I know it's weird, but does marijuana affect hair? Like in either a positive or negative way? I was just wondering because a couple of my friends have their licenses and it got me thinking (don't worry not about doing anything illegal ;) Any ideas are appreciated :o

christine1989
June 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Well...stress can hinder hair growth and even cause it to fall out. Since pot mellows you out I suppose in theory it could be good for hair growth. Unfortunatly there is the matter of the nasty pot smell in your hair ;).

Slinks
June 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I don't know .. you're taking in an unhealthy substance into your bloodstream .. that said there is a HEMP shampoo and conditioner out, I tried it and hate it .. lol !! It is a no cones (pun not intended :-) and my hair loves cones ..

christine1989
June 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I don't know .. you're taking in an unhealthy substance into your bloodstream .. that said there is a HEMP shampoo and conditioner out, I tried it and hate it .. lol !! It is a no cones (pun not intended :-) and my hair loves cones ..

I tried a hemp conditioner too and although it wasn't bad it also didn't wow me. I know they sell hemp powder (from a close relative plant) which is supposed to be full of protein and protein is always good for hair.

virgo75
June 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I don't know what it does topically, but I know a guy who smokes daily or almost daily. He has shoulder length hair. It's been shoulder length for about 3 years now and he hasn't had it cut it like 5 or 6 years....

Outside of that I'd say he eats pretty well and exercises a couple of times a week at the gym.

But his hair hasn't grown in years.

Chiara
June 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I guess that, like tobacco, smoking marijuana could affect your peripheral circulation negatively, and that could have a negative impact on hair growth.

ange1ito
June 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I know a guy who started smoking weed in his teens although his father is bald and it's heredity, he always wondered why he had starting balding much younger than his father in early 20's. His father's balding started much later. He figured the weed played a factor. Last time I bumped into him in his early 30's he only has like a few bits of hair behind his ears and now has to keep it shaven.

bahoban
June 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM
well,, my roomate smokes daily too, and have waist lenght,, I cut his hair to bsl months ago and he reach waist again very very fast,, he doesn't take care about his hair,, and he have it gorgeous,, so... maybe is different for every people as most things

ladyfey
June 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Very carcinogenic, and chemo isn't good for hair! :)

ifthemoonsmiled
June 6th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I doubt smoking anything is very good for hair. As others have said, it limits how much oxygen you get & so restricts blood flow. At least it doesn't have a bunch of other toxic things in it, though, like cigarettes for example.

owlathena
June 6th, 2011, 09:39 PM
One of my good friends smokes daily and he has the thickest, fastest-growing hair I've ever seen. I don't think it makes a difference :shrug:

katsrevenge
June 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Well, hemp is mary jane without the THC and I had great results with the shampoo/conditioner I had for a while with it in, and the skin stuff was great too.

It just had a pot smell. :/

SpeakingEZ
June 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I've heard if the smoke passes through your hair enough (think fish-bowling or clam-baking) it dries it out and causes it to curl. I'm glad my smoking days are long, long over.

I am neither condemning nor condoning smoking weed.

TheMechaGinger
June 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think it's beneficial. My boyfriend used to smoke it daily before we got together and his hair was almost midback and dull and thin and just gross. Now that he's quit a few years it's looking better. I think any kind of smoke wouldn't be good for your hair. But I have a tube of hemp lotion that's really awesome for super dry skin

allmixedup88
June 6th, 2011, 10:30 PM
THey make hemp products for hair, which work very well. Maybe the hemp products are good for your hair then. I'm not sure about the pot smoke though. I'm sure the smoke is bad for your hair and drying

Dark Queen
June 6th, 2011, 11:20 PM
LOL! Don't worry, I'm not here to judge either way. I don't do it myself, but as far as I know, it doesn't have any negative effects on hair besides a lingering smell after a while, but then again you'd get that with cigarettes or any kind of smoke. I don't know for certain, but I don't think it would be a problem.

NaiadOreiad
June 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I'm a proud smoker of MJ and I don't smoke anything else. <3

Whats weird is that I find I have more growth during the times that I have some. I usually put my hair up and cover it with something before I smoke, and that keeps it from smelling or getting dull and unhappy.

bahoban
June 7th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'm a proud smoker of MJ and I don't smoke anything else. <3

Whats weird is that I find I have more growth during the times that I have some. I usually put my hair up and cover it with something before I smoke, and that keeps it from smelling or getting dull and unhappy.

ohh that's great!!

Freki
June 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Most people here are assuming smoked... but it is often consumed orally also, especially medicinally. Any ideas how this might impact hair growth (or not)?

MonaLisa
June 7th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I think weed makes hair fall out in the long run :) couple of friends who are regular are thinning/balding and I've also heard from 1 of them that it's cause of weed..

Probably doing it rarely won't harm your hair, but it definitely won't do anything good for it also.

lilravendark
June 7th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I used to smoke daily quite heavily and my hair grew fine didnt smell wasnt dull, the only thing that ever made my hair fall out was prolonged stress. I dont smoke anymore and my hair doesnt grow as fast but thats because im older now than I was back in the stoner days.

rogue_psyche
June 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I'm quite curious how a weed tea rinse would affect the hair, besides making it smell like weed. :hmm: Now that would be an expensive hair experiment.

I am going to say right now that the damage from smoking weed daily is not at all comparable to bleaching, heat styling, or even campfire smoke. It can be reduced by always smoking outside or using edibles as much as possible.

Avital88
June 7th, 2011, 01:37 AM
its absolutely not healthy for your hair,as you are inhaling heavier, and so get less oxygen in your blood. its the same as cigs only a few times worse i heard(and i'm from Amsterdam so i assume it to be true)

Signe
June 7th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I feel like my hair and nails have gotten better overall since I started smoking mj, although I reckon smoking heavily does dry out the hair around my face. Hmmm, now I'm curious to do an experiment measuring my growth for a normal month and a month with no weed at all.

Katze
June 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Hemp oil is high in omega fatty acids and other good things, so it would be good for all your connective tissues to eat it - but hemp oil comes from plants which have a very low concentration of THC, the thing that gets you 'high.' Same plant that is grown for seeds (high in protein) and fiber (tough and resilient). Hemp is a great plant!

Of course smoking *anything* isn't good for you in the least. But occasional marijuana smoke should not be worse than, say, visiting a smoggy city. Probably better than living in lower Manhattan, as I did for a year.

A good friend of mine smoked daily for something like 15 years. She has gorgeous, thick, wurly hair that grows (ha ha) like a weed. My dad has been known to smoke regularly and at 67 he still has most of his hair, and it is only starting to go grey. I really don't think there is any correlation one way or another.

I used to work for a hemp company so I know a lot about this.

GALISH
June 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I think it doesn't make any difference, and if you think smoking is unhealthy and can affect your hair growth you can eat it.

share801
June 7th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Well, don't some employers do drug tests on your hair to see what you have been ingesting? Sorry, not my area of experience.

rogue_psyche
June 7th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Thanks for that info, Katze. I heard that hemp would be a more sustainable alternative to wood in paper-making.

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2011, 03:14 AM
When I smoked it irregularly for a short time, it didn't affect my hair at all, besides the dryness that comes with general smoke exposure. :shrug: I never noticed thinning or slower/faster growth.

ChloeDharma
June 7th, 2011, 04:22 AM
i agree with the comments about smoking anything not being good, for hair or anything else really.
I smoked cannabis for years and it certainly did nothing helpfull for my hair growth. I don't know that ingesting it would have an effect on hair either way. I would say though that the lifestyle that can go with cannabis use over in the UK at least would certainly not be good for hair growth. Sensible occasional use though i imagine is fine.

he hemp products people talk about are completely different. The stuff that gets you high is something female plants produce when budding and relies on things like light exposure etc. The hemp oil is from a strain of cannabis that does not yield usefull plants for THC production but does produce large growing plants providing fibers for making things like hemp material. Hemp protein and oil comes from the seeds which contain no THC.....(cultivation for recreational use would be so much simpler if they did!). The products mentioned would most likely contain hemp seed oil which is a very healthy and usefull oil both cosmetically and for therapeutic uses. It contains omega 3, 6 and 9 in apparently the ideal ratio. Used on skin or hair it is a light oil that absorbs well but has a distinct earthy/nutty aroma, slightly acrid i'd say but nothing like the smell of cannabis either resin or weed that you'd smoke.
I try to pour hemp seed oil over my food each day to benefit from the blend of omegas and essential fatty acids. The seeds i would say would have a very benefitial effect on the hair, particularly when regularly consumed and you can buy protein bars in health shops containing them.

I realise the question may have been more about recreational or therapeutic use of the psychoactive chemicals in cannabis but i thought clarification and more information on what i consider the most usefull part might be of interest.

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Well did you ever see a hippie with short hair ;) ?!

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Hemp oil is high in omega fatty acids and other good things, so it would be good for all your connective tissues to eat it - but hemp oil comes from plants which have a very low concentration of THC, the thing that gets you 'high.' Same plant that is grown for seeds (high in protein) and fiber (tough and resilient). Hemp is a great plant!

Of course smoking *anything* isn't good for you in the least. But occasional marijuana smoke should not be worse than, say, visiting a smoggy city. Probably better than living in lower Manhattan, as I did for a year.

A good friend of mine smoked daily for something like 15 years. She has gorgeous, thick, wurly hair that grows (ha ha) like a weed. My dad has been known to smoke regularly and at 67 he still has most of his hair, and it is only starting to go grey. I really don't think there is any correlation one way or another.

I used to work for a hemp company so I know a lot about this.

BWHAHA! I did it again....spat my coffee at the comp screen.............:D

Katze
June 7th, 2011, 05:07 AM
you're welcome, jojo. :D

virgo75
June 7th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I think weed makes hair fall out in the long run :) couple of friends who are regular are thinning/balding and I've also heard from 1 of them that it's cause of weed..

Probably doing it rarely won't harm your hair, but it definitely won't do anything good for it also.

:hmm:

Now that you mention it, the same guy friend that I mentioned with no hair growth for years is also balding. He's the only one in his family who has a receding hair line - nobody else in his family does. He's also the only one who smokes weed...

His hair used to grow "normally." Before he started smoking he had to get his hair cut every week or 2 to keep it from looking unkempt. But now he doesn't even trim it. It just doesn't change except that his hairline is moving back further and further though he puts no stress on his hair. :shrug:

Bene
June 7th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I smoke both tobacco and weed regularly and have for YEARS. No effect on hair growth or condition. And, for the sake of experimentation, I've gone without both and haven't noticed any difference.

Still, I find the anti-tobacco and marijuana people trying to instill fear rather fascinating. Makes my day.

ChloeDharma
June 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I smoke both tobacco and weed regularly and have for YEARS. No effect on hair growth or condition. And, for the sake of experimentation, I've gone without both and haven't noticed any difference.

Still, I find the anti-tobacco and marijuana people trying to instill fear rather fascinating. Makes my day.

If i were trying to instill fear i'd post this (http://whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html) link. Or this (http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Smokers_Body.html) one. Smoking kills, end of story....i think people have been quite tame compared to what they could say. I just watched my lifelong smoker of a father die of lung cancer so maybe instilling a little fear might help save someones life.

Chetanlaiho
June 7th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I smoke very, very occasionally so if it had any profound effect on hair I don't think I would've noticed. But I do know any kind of smoke makes my hair a dry tangle fest-y mess so I figure the same goes for this one.

I remember reading somewhere on some seemingly hotshot hairdresser blog that one of the ten things you should be doing to prevent (I think female) balding and hairloss was stay away from marijuana :shrug:

MonaLisa
June 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Agree with Chloe. People really only replied to this topic normally, their thoughts...

Bene is actually the first one here who's judging other people's posts. Interesting indeed.

Bene
June 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Agree with Chloe. People really only replied to this topic normally, their thoughts...

Bene is actually the first one here who's judging other people's posts. Interesting indeed.

:rolleyes:

I was actually thinking more along the lines of the guy on the street 3 days ago who came out of nowhere and proceeded to preach about his dead mother and her foul smoking habit. It made her sick, and then killed her and blah blah blah and that I should stop. And then he told me that my smoking makes me look older, he said late 20's. Which was interesting, since he took a few years off my actual age.

I wasn't judging anyone's posts. Had I been doing so, I would have said "The people here" or "The posts in this thread" or something along those lines. Or to be more accurate, I would have quoted someone and responded directly to them. I'm not one to mince around when I judge something.

Thumper
June 7th, 2011, 07:53 AM
This peaked my curiosity so I did a bit of research.
One interesting observation is that because pot comes from the female plant there is alot of speculation that the hormones (plant estrogens), can influence hair growth.

Another study from many years ago, with sailors from the Navy noted that whenever they went to port for a few days, their beards grew much quicker (they were all smoking pot while at port).

It's an interesting discussion.

RitaPG
June 7th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I've seen several people complain about a massive hair loss. There's no scientific study (that I know of) but I think it does have some influence. When you smoke, you bring less oxygen into your cells and if you smoke a lot, that may be a cause for hairloss.
Could also be related to how well your own cells carry oxygen, I think. For example, I'm an anemic, and when I smoked pot (between 16-18 maybe?) I didn't notice any difference but then again, I did it rather occasionally, but when I started smoking tobacco daily, I am sure I was losing, because since I stopped (almost two years ago) my ponytail thickness nearly doubled.
But on the other hand, I know plenty people that smoke pot daily and not only they look healthy, their hair looks amazing :D

nellreno
June 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I have a feeling that to get any significant benefits from it you'd have to either eat it or apply it do the hair directly, I don't know if smoke alone would do much.

ChloeDharma
June 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Another study from many years ago, with sailors from the Navy noted that whenever they went to port for a few days, their beards grew much quicker (they were all smoking pot while at port).

It's an interesting discussion.

Though the likely change in diet and possibly things like increase in fresh water would be factors probably more significant than cannabis smoking.

Elenna
June 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
It's not that marijuana affects hair growth or not. It's that it affects a person's health. Some people are physically healthier than others which means they can get away (for a while) abusing their body with unhealthy habits. But one's unhealthy habits do catch up after a while. Smoking anything is bad for the lungs and health. Good hair is an indicator of health.

ladyfey
June 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Exactly! I'm a respiratory therapist, so I'm guessing that I have slightly more knowledge about smoking anything and it's affects than most people. If I were trying to scare people, I could do a much better job. But it is your business what you choose to do to your body, no one else's.

BrightEyes7
June 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Love it Jojo!!! True, true!

I smoke MJ daily. A lot too.

There I said it.

And my hair grows like a weed! I'm currently at hip length and the only reason I haven't gone longer is because I'm growing out dye ATM and trimming regularly. My hair is not dull or dry, it's actually very shiny and soft! Also it doesn't stink... I get comments frequently about how nice my hair smells. But, as was mentioned in another thread, my hair doesn't absorb odors as much as others say their hair does.

That being said, do I think smoking has helped my hair? Heck no! Do I think it's harmed it? Possibly, but I haven't noticed any thinning, change in texture, appearance, shine or overall change in health. But every body is different... what my body may be able to handle another's might not be able to.

feralnature
June 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
My hair is just fine :)

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Suppose you'd be too chilled to cut really ;) I smoked it years ago but it gave me stomach ache from laughing! On a serious note i do think it should be legalized for pain relief, especially those with MS it has been proven to ease symptoms. On the downside one of my brothers developed mental health problems due to long term use; which has also been researched and a proven side effect of smoking weed; so theres negatives and positives!

Mannaz
June 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
The way I see it, if smoking weed does good for you in general - and I believe it is very possible to do so - then it will do good for your hair too. Again, if smoking weed does bad things for you, physically and/or mentally which is also possible, then it will do bad for your hair also. So I doubt smoking it will have a direct effect on hair growth in any way.

One thing I do know is that I've done some seriously heavy-duty S&D sessions under the influence! ;) And mixed up some very yummy treats for my hair...

Katurday
June 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM
And my hair grows like a weed!
FIX'D.;)

I don't smoke, but a musician I know claims that weed made his hair curly. Apparently he had straight hair up until shoulder, began weed, and bam giant curls. HAHAHA. His hair is awesome and nearly waist.

Sidani
June 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Wow, this has been a very interesting thread. I simply must add my 2 cents. ^_^

I live with chronic nausea and frequent vomiting from back surgery gone wrong in July 2006. They damaged the Vagus nerve and I have Gastroparesis and Neuropathic Pseudo Obstruction in my intestines. In English that's a paralyzed stomach and things move backwards in parts of my intestines.

Saying that to get to this. I vaporize marijuana daily to deal with my constant nausea and to give me a bit of an appetite, just like a cancer patient. I do it legally and do have a license. I lost a lot of my hair when I was so sick for 6 weeks following that horrible surgery. It has been growing back in since, but what's coming in seems to be baby fine. I don't believe the marijuana has anything to do with that, but it allows me to survive. I couldn't eat without it.

I use a Volcano Vaporizer that uses a very small amount of marijuana and it vaporizes it, blows very hot air through it to vaporize the THC nodules. You do not smoke it with fire, you just sip on the vapor that collects in a bag that has a sipper nozzle on it. No mess, no smell, and my hair is coming back in just fine. :) /my 2 cents!

pixistixx
June 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Suppose you'd be too chilled to cut really ;) I smoked it years ago but it gave me stomach ache from laughing! On a serious note i do think it should be legalized for pain relief, especially those with MS it has been proven to ease symptoms. On the downside one of my brothers developed mental health problems due to long term use; which has also been researched and a proven side effect of smoking weed; so theres negatives and positives!

I don't know if I really buy into the whole it helps with MS thing.... I have MS and the few times I tried it (after symptoms started) , always makes me feel like utter crap like I have the flu, fevers, etc. , especially the muscle rigidity/ achiness that is the worst. It also lowers the immune system quite a bit... plus, why would anyone with brain lesions want to use anything that messes with brain chemistry? As a teen I remember having worse breakouts with smoking it....especially on the chin (similar to hormonal type), so theoretically it could make your hormones wonky and therefore mess with hair growth... I'm pretty sure I read about hormone disruption related to marijuana several years ago. My cousin from San diego says basically if you have 250.00 you can get a never ending prescription for weed.... from anything from headaches, menstrual cramps on up!

MonaLisa
June 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
:rolleyes:

I was actually thinking more along the lines of the guy on the street 3 days ago who came out of nowhere and proceeded to preach about his dead mother and her foul smoking habit. It made her sick, and then killed her and blah blah blah and that I should stop. And then he told me that my smoking makes me look older, he said late 20's. Which was interesting, since he took a few years off my actual age.

I wasn't judging anyone's posts. Had I been doing so, I would have said "The people here" or "The posts in this thread" or something along those lines. Or to be more accurate, I would have quoted someone and responded directly to them. I'm not one to mince around when I judge something.

Oh I'm sorry then.
I thought you were speaking in the context...you know..that you meant someone trying to make you fear the effect it has on hair...which would be someone here obviously.

anyway..i can understand person who told you that. probably went through something painful, and didn't mean anything bad..
i can understand also how it can annoy you tho..but you can get over it if you try understand that person as well...

i personally don't have anything against weed. if it's taken in moderation. as all the other things also...

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I don't know if I really buy into the whole it helps with MS thing.... I have MS and the few times I tried it (after symptoms started) , always makes me feel like utter crap like I have the flu, fevers, etc. , especially the muscle rigidity/ achiness that is the worst. It also lowers the immune system quite a bit... plus, why would anyone with brain lesions want to use anything that messes with brain chemistry? As a teen I remember having worse breakouts with smoking it....especially on the chin (similar to hormonal type), so theoretically it could make your hormones wonky and therefore mess with hair growth... I'm pretty sure I read about hormone disruption related to marijuana several years ago. My cousin from San diego says basically if you have 250.00 you can get a never ending prescription for weed.... from anything from headaches, menstrual cramps on up!

I am a registered nurse and have researched this on pubmed, there where trials a few years back, it was a mixed response to be honest. I suppose it depends on which type of MS you have and the symptoms you are experiencing. It was taken in tablet form as a controlled trial and from the article i read it was more beneficial in easing rigidity, than cognitive problems. I have the article somewhere its a really interesting read, if I find it I will inbox it to you.

Coincidently I am just starting a new job in neurology in a few weeks so shall explore this further. Healthy vibes coming your way lovey xxx

rogue_psyche
June 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM

I can totally believe that. Like haircare routines, marijuana acts differently with different people. That's why it can have a calming effect with Person A and trigger paranoia in Person B.

There is also a huge difference between Marinol, the cannabis pill and smoking marijuana. Marinol is supposed to have the *good* effects of cannabis without the *bad*, such as that pesky high.

I wish you the best of luck in managing your MS, pixistixx.

McFearless
June 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I don't think it does a thing either way.
Those who bald because of weed, and those who grow faster hair from weed are probably exceptions to the rule. It also could be the lifestyles that these people have. If they smoke weed all the time and don't care about their health, their hair will suffer. If they smoke weed and exercise, eat right(and not just muchie foods) their hair will thrive.

Petite Simone
June 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I don't think that "the herb" plays any part either way. I think it's just a matter of your personal growth rate. My one friend is a chronic smoker and his hair is terrible. Another friend is chronic (no pun intended) as well and his hair is glorious. Some smokers have long hair, others have none. It just depends on the person. :)

Alun
June 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM

LOL! At one point in my life I didn't know any long haired guys who didn't smoke marijuana. And very few adults under 30 who didn't, come to that. But that was a long time ago.

Obviously, there can't be any truth to the idea that smoking dope will make all your hair fall out. It's nonsense. But only those of us who fall into a certain age bracket know this for a fact from direct observation.

NaiadOreiad
June 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Maybe the weed had no effect directly on my hair but it certainly gives me the munchies and I only keep healthy food in the house, so maybe it just makes me slam more nutrients into my belly lol.

prosperina
June 8th, 2011, 01:17 AM
It's not that marijuana affects hair growth or not. It's that it affects a person's health. Some people are physically healthier than others which means they can get away (for a while) abusing their body with unhealthy habits. But one's unhealthy habits do catch up after a while. Smoking anything is bad for the lungs and health. Good hair is an indicator of health.

This is a pretty broad generalization though. I mean you don't know if they are smoking it or not. Many people eat/cook with it (or make questionable teas from it; DBF made a pretty vile one with it...). And lots of people who do smoke it do it infrequently--not the way people usually smoke cigarettes, which is several times daily.

I agree though that smoking is generally not great for you health. I don't believe though that occasional marijuana smoking or eating/cooking with will lead you to bad health. That--though--is a belief not a fact; I'm not old enough to know any life-long occasional pot smokers. ;) Ask me in 30 years.

That said, I personally don't care much for mariijuana and could take it or leave it.

When I first read this thread I thought about hair follicule testing. Do be aware that these tests read your drug history more accurately and further back than a urine test...
:eye: :agape:

ETA: Most won't be getting a hair follicule drug test, but it's good to know. I didn't know this until a friend (who does no drugs!) had to have this.

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I don't think it does a thing either way.
Those who bald because of weed, and those who grow faster hair from weed are probably exceptions to the rule. It also could be the lifestyles that these people have. If they smoke weed all the time and don't care about their health, their hair will suffer. If they smoke weed and exercise, eat right(and not just muchie foods) their hair will thrive.

funny my brother who got mental health problems through it has as much hair as an egg!

Kumiko033
June 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I think it would be great if you'd smoke 100% pure weed but when tabaco comes around it's simply bad IMO
Weed is relaxing and I don't think it does any harm to people if you're not addicted. Stereotype me all you want, I'm Dutch :) but I believe it could play a positive role in hairgrowth.

pepperminttea
June 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
When I first read this thread I thought about hair follicule testing. Do be aware that these tests read your drug history more accurately and further back than a urine test...
:eye: :agape:

ETA: Most won't be getting a hair follicule drug test, but it's good to know. I didn't know this until a friend (who does no drugs!) had to have this.

Off topic, but any ideas how far back those go? I haven't smoked any in over three years, possibly nearer to four years come to think of it.

OneCurlyMan
June 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I highly doubt that marijuana is good for hair. When considering exogenous substances, one should tread carefully. I personally see it as if it is not proven by research to help, then avoid it. There are plenty of medications and psychotropics that yield hair loss and many of them are not nailed to the T as to how they actually cause it. Warfarin is a good example, it causes hair loss from mild to severe and no one really knows why.

Moreover, one should consider the effect of tobacco with smoked marijuana. Sure, if one only smokes tobacco-laced marijuana and not cigarettes, the exposure to the chemicals of tobacco is lower, but nicotine and other chemicals in tobacco are known to cause hair loss, primarily via vasoconstriction and increased inflammation.

Lastly, unless one is getting their Mary J from a trusted source (I know OP would), one must consider the chemicals used not only for the growth of the plant but the stuff that drug dealers put on it to increase the smell, for example. Hell, if the dealer is shady, you dont want to know where the marijuana has been or what is has been next to. If you are lucky, your herb will only contain traces of cocaine or PCP.

I believe talking in the manner I have done about illegal substances is OK in this forum, if not, please mods feel free to edit.

Kind Regards.

OneCurlyMan
June 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Off topic, but any ideas how far back those go? I haven't smoked any in over three years, possibly nearer to four years come to think of it.

I believe hair testing is not very reliable and, most of the time, urine and blood tests are the ones checked. I have read that the average for detection in hair is 3 months, up to possibly 6 months.

Be aware that in the case that one has to submit a hair sample for a criminal offence, if he/she decides to shave their head (and body as any hair will do), it will be interpreted as valid proof that one has used the to-be tested substance.

Erowid.org has plenty of resources concerning the legal aspect of drug use.

McFearless
June 8th, 2011, 11:24 AM

I believe the tests can show your drug history in the hairs that have existed since you've smoked. Say from pixie to shoulder you were a smoker, but have since grown your hair to waist and have cut off all the length that was there during the time that you've smoked. It can no longer show up on the test.

I could be completely wrong though.

McFearless
June 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I think it would be great if you'd smoke 100% pure weed but when tabaco comes around it's simply bad IMO
Weed is relaxing and I don't think it does any harm to people if you're not addicted. Stereotype me all you want, I'm Dutch :) but I believe it could play a positive role in hairgrowth.

You can smoke up to 20 years without being addicted and have respiratory illnesses as a result. I don't think addiction plays that big a role. Some people smoke every single day because they enjoy it, but don't physically and mentally need it, like somebody with an addiction would.

As far as the relaxing element, I agree with you that stress is harmful for one's health and therefore hair growth.

BrightEyes7
June 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
On a serious note i do think it should be legalized for pain relief, especially those with MS it has been proven to ease symptoms.

My cousin from San diego says basically if you have 250.00 you can get a never ending prescription for weed.... from anything from headaches, menstrual cramps on up!

Well here in California it is legal for perscription use. You can go to a doctor and get a perscription card or you can go to basically any city and find a canabis shop that sells them for anywhere from $40-$100 depending on where you live. That is for a year perscription. You can carry the weed with you as long as you show them your card.

And marijuana might as well be legal for everyone anyway. Last years election there was a bill up to be approved to legalize marijuana for recreational use so it could be taxed. It would have been available like alcohol for anyone over 21. It did not go through but marijuana has been de-criminalized in the state of California. If you are caught with up to an ounce of marijuana (which is a pretty good amount) you will get a ticket and that's it. A ticket which is not to exceed $100. A lot of cops won't even right the ticket because it's a waste of time, a lot don't care about weed.

McFearless
June 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Well here in California it is legal for perscription use. You can go to a doctor and get a perscription card or you can go to basically any city and find a canabis shop that sells them for anywhere from $40-$100 depending on where you live. That is for a year perscription. You can carry the weed with you as long as you show them your card.

And marijuana might as well be legal for everyone anyway. Last years election there was a bill up to be approved to legalize marijuana for recreational use so it could be taxed. It would have been available like alcohol for anyone over 21. It did not go through but marijuana has been de-criminalized in the state of California. If you are caught with up to an ounce of marijuana (which is a pretty good amount) you will get a ticket and that's it. A ticket which is not to exceed $100. A lot of cops won't even right the ticket because it's a waste of time, a lot don't care about weed.

A good amount of them are smoking it themselves and will just pull you over, make you nervous as hell and then just take your weed and leave.

Mannaz
June 10th, 2011, 05:10 AM
A good amount of them are smoking it themselves and will just pull you over, make you nervous as hell and then just take your weed and leave.

What! That is really sneaky, yuck.

Sagi1982
June 11th, 2011, 09:29 AM
For some skin diseases like psoriasis or some kind of eczema you might try hemp oil both on skin and as a salad oil (it doesn't taste great, but its edible).
I had a guinea pig with a psoriasis-like disease and it helped him.

My skin isn't dry or irritated, but I want to try hemp oil as a hair oil.

I don't think that hemp will make your hair grow faster or thicker, but its oil is worth a try. ;)

Elenna
June 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I don't even buy hemp oil as a health benefit for the omegas, since there are too many other good sources of omegas like flaxseed oil.

My DBF does smoke marijuana as a means to control her MS symptoms, and she also takes dozens of doctor prescribed medications everyday. She gets sick really easily. The last couple of years she has been in and out of hospitals/clinics to control her chronic infections. But as my DH says, she has been unhealthy for a long time.

PiroskaCicu
June 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
My older brother smokes marijuana regularly for the past 3 years or so, perhaps more. He has waist length 3a/3b hair, but it's thinning at the top and sides. It used to be thicker. I remember when he used to ask me to help him comb his hair, because it was so thick and easily tangled. Now he doesn't ask me to help anymore. I always see his hair falling all over the place (yuck). :P I'm not sure if the marijuana is the reason his hair is so thin. All of my other family members have thick wavy or curly hair. It's possible that because he smokes so regularly it thins out his hair. My brother is also quite thin himself but used to be bigger (a healthier weight). I don't think marijuana is good for his health. He's only 20 years old, turning 21 this year.

BrightEyes7
June 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Very true. I've had it happen once. I also got a ticket for having up to and ounce of it (I only had about a gram but the judge made me look like a drug dealer in court saying I was charged with having an ounce.) I was charged $85, but the cop also took my weed. Needless to say that was a very expensive gram.

But honestly here in CA it is really laid back about marijuana. Besides the above two mentioned incidents, I've been pulled over a lot. Not because I'm a bad driver, I just used to have a crapper car that was always somehow malfunctioning (ie, lights out, windshield cracked, etc). I have always had the cops been really cool with me about it. Their main thing they are looking for is meth or other narcotics. I actually had one cop search my car (looking for narcotics) found my weed and pipe, and left the bowl packed with the greens I had just packed. He let me on my way, and was actually joking with me a bit.

So in California it's as good as legal. I mean, there are dispenseries (legal dealers) in every city.

AutobotsAttack
March 28th, 2018, 11:21 AM
I see there’s quite a few misconceptions about marijuana.

There’s quite a few inconclusive studies, and also not enough studies related to hair growth stalling and marijuana. While it can effect some people, there’s millions of people who fair just fine no matter the amount, concerning hair growth. My husband is an avid pit smoker, has been for years, and his hair hasn’t lost any thickness and has been growing steadily.

Aside from carcinogenic effects, there’s plenty of ways where you don’t have to cause combustion, and release C02. Vaping, steaming, and eatibles are all ways that produce zero smoke, and zero carcinogenic effects.

Some CBD, THC extracts, topical THC oils, and hemp helps relax muscles, and some folks use for scalp massages for relaxation.

As far as growth goes, I’d think any topical oils would depend on the person. Some folks say the added benefit of stimulation and the oils help aid in growth. The relaxation part of the THC helps in stress relief that could possibly cause shedding.

I’ve used CBD oils, and THC oils for body and scalp. Content was fairly low, forgot what the percentage was I had ordered, but very small, no effects or anything. I did some tension leaving in whatever sore areas I was massaging. As far as my scalp I noticed I didn’t have as many tension headaches as I once did.

Everyone is different, and not all of the studies for or against marijuana usage in various forms is conclusive. But I’d say if you’re more curious then keep gathering info. Of course if you don’t like it, then you don’t. No shame in that.

MsPharaohMoan
March 28th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Darn too bad my scalp hates oils, that scalp massage sure sounds lovely!

lapushka
March 28th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Darn too bad my scalp hates oils, that scalp massage sure sounds lovely!

Be a shame to waste such a "precious" (pain relieving) oil for a simple scalp massage, though. I don't know about that.

I'm not for taking marijuana / CBD oil as I am on the traditional form of pain relief and whatever you do - the two don't mix.

I think I'll leave the experimenting up to you guys! :flower:

AutobotsAttack
March 28th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Be a shame to waste such a "precious" (pain relieving) oil for a simple scalp massage, though. I don't know about that.

I'm not for taking marijuana / CBD oil as I am on the traditional form of pain relief and whatever you do - the two don't mix.

I think I'll leave the experimenting up to you guys! :flower:

I can agree with some aspects not mixing well. The stronger pain relievers that are related to opiate family, often bother people who try to combine them with marijuana.

Including medications such as antidepressants too. If folks want to try it for management purposes, I think it’s best to pick one or the other.

Sometimes things like Tylenol or other blood thinners/NSAIDS can not mix well it either. Sometimes the blood flow combined with properties of marijuana can cause lightheadedness, dizziness, dehydration. Not extremely serious situations, but uncomfortable nonetheless.

Prism
March 28th, 2018, 12:56 PM
You don't have to smoke it. You can eat it.

Prism
March 28th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Huh? Why do you think it's unhealthy? Smoking it might be unhealthy, but you can take edibles instead.

lapushka
March 28th, 2018, 01:05 PM
I can agree with some aspects not mixing well. The stronger pain relievers that are related to opiate family, often bother people who try to combine them with marijuana.

Including medications such as antidepressants too. If folks want to try it for management purposes, I think it’s best to pick one or the other.

Sometimes things like Tylenol or other blood thinners/NSAIDS can not mix well it either. Sometimes the blood flow combined with properties of marijuana can cause lightheadedness, dizziness, dehydration. Not extremely serious situations, but uncomfortable nonetheless.

I totally agree. I am good with traditional pain relief ATM, since the early 2000s, and so I don't want to mess with that in any way, shape or form, at all.

In any case, as one should, I would discuss it with my doctor(s) first - always.

Thank you for caring! :)

lithostoic
March 28th, 2018, 03:15 PM
I don't think it affects my hair in any way.

Aredhel
March 28th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Doesn't effect my hair either. :)

vampyyri
March 28th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Medical marijuana has just been legalized in my state as of today (http://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/03/more_people_are_eligible_for_medical_marijuana_her .html#incart_river_index)!

I am looking into it as a treatment for my chronic anxiety in the future—I would imagine using it to reduce the overwhelming crippling stress in my everyday life would likely bring my growth rate back up to where it used to be. Granted, I would be doing this moreso so I can have my life back without using medications that make me suicidal... hair comes second. If it benefits that as well... cool.

Blue Mermaid
March 28th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Medical marijuana has just been legalized in my state as of today (http://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/03/more_people_are_eligible_for_medical_marijuana_her .html#incart_river_index)!

I am looking into it as a treatment for my chronic anxiety in the future—I would imagine using it to reduce the overwhelming crippling stress in my everyday life would likely bring my growth rate back up to where it used to be. Granted, I would be doing this moreso so I can have my life back without using medications that make me suicidal... hair comes second. If it benefits that as well... cool.

Do be careful; according to the current Psychology textbook I'm studying, marijuana can trigger/worsen psychological problems. In some individuals it can cause chronic psychotic symptoms or schizophrenia. It is also considered moderately addictive, despite what pop culture tries to say. Approximately 10% of people who use marijuana will become dependent on the drug. Behind alcohol and tobacco, it is the third most common substance people seek addiction counseling for. Marijuana can cause withdrawal symptoms that include anxiety, depression, irritability, and insomnia. Long term use is associated with impaired judgement, memory, and concentration, which can persist for years or become permanent. These side affects are most pronounced in adolescence as the brain is still developing.

Definitely not trying to tell you what to do, but many people don't look at the entire picture. Also, if you plan on smoking, understand that any kind of combustion releases carbon monoxide and inhaling the smoke will deposit some resin/tar in your lungs. It can increase your chances of developing COPD, cancer, cardiovascular disease, etc. Obviously, this does not apply if you're using it in other forms (which I think I would recommend over smoking)

Margarita
March 29th, 2018, 01:35 AM
Dont do it, either smoking marijuana or cigarettes, both are BAD. If you are so curious about marijuana, try the medical one, the MEDICAL. Im not sure if marijuana affects hair, we can say its more "natural" than what cigarettes contain but, BOTH of them damages you badly.

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2018, 02:19 AM
Dont do it, either smoking marijuana or cigarettes, both are BAD. If you are so curious about marijuana, try the medical one, the MEDICAL. Im not sure if marijuana affects hair, we can say its more "natural" than what cigarettes contain but, BOTH of them damages you badly.

Not entirely true.

As far as “medical” marijuana, that’s mostly a termed used so that you don’t lose your job, or get arrested, or receive a ticket. In most states where recreational use hasn’t been signed over yet. The “medical” grade plants can also be sprayed with pesticides/insecticides, and other preservatives. Just because it says “medical”, doesn’t mean it’s going to suit a person more, over home grown, or places from overseas that home grow their herb.

In fact, most of the overseas suppliers have far better products, and harvest their plants with very eco-friendly tactics, regardless of price. Even the legal states like California, Washington, and Oregon have found a higher percentage of pesticides in largely distributed manufacturers.

As stated earlier, if you don’t burn the plant whatsoever, you receive no C02 output, and can’t really compare it to the carcinogenic effects of cigarettes.

I say all of this simply because there’s a lot of people who demonize marijuana. Like Blue Mermaid said, concerning addiction rates, withdrawal, anxiety, depression, etc. It’s up to the individual to make wise, thought out decisions. Everything in moderation. Although I feel like the effects of opiates, pain killers, and other “legal” narcotics cause far more damage physically and psychosomatically than marijuana ever could, and people are more willing to take manufactured pills that have side effects worse than what you’re trying to treat in the first place.

I’m not blaming or flaming anyone who takes prescribed medication in pill form. There’s a place for everything, but I feel like if you’re comparing studies, there’s far more ill side effects from Pharma companies than marijuana.

That being said, marijuana doesn’t get to take a back seat and be looked over. Of the small studies that have been conducted, they carry truth with them, and as I’ve said earlier, it’s up to the individual to responsibly do their research. If marijuana is something that causes anxiety or feelings of discomfort there’s no reason to force yourself to keep trying. If it helps relieve stress at smaller amounts, there’s no need to go up in percentages to satisfy whatever society has to think about it.

There’s varying percentages people can take THC in. Some percentages are so small, they have no effects. Some are small enough to induce relaxation, and some can be higher according to the individuals comfort levels. Long term usage can cause impaired judgment, and memory retention, but are these studies recording at what percentage the THC would be? How frequent the individual uses? Does the individual have a history of mental illnesses? Does the individual have a history of heart diseases, high blood pressure, etc? What was the strain type? How was the plant harvested? We’re there heavy amounts of pesticides, insecticides, or preservatives? Because those chemicals play a major role in the quality of the plant, and cause discomforting feelings no matter how small of a dose. Of course there are people who just better off seeking different alternatives. There are long term marijuana users who use THC at moderate frequencies and have no side effects resembling memory or judgement loss. There’s also THC that comes in topical oils/sprays, meaning you don’t have to consume it in order to reap some of the relaxing properties. There’s CBD as well as other alternatives too.

Of course if people are smoking large amounts of marijuana, constantly, for years and years, there’s going to be side effects. Much like alcohol and pill dependency. But logically speaking, if you think about it, people who moderately consume alcohol, and lower frequencies, or responsibly watch their medication dosages over long term periods also have no ill side effects. Marijuana is no different.

Responsibility, responsibilty, responsibility. And actively making sure and doing research according to your personal needs. I wish there were more controlled, peer reviewed studies that have been conducted for on-going years studying marijuana usage in varying situations, and varying individuals. Because there’s too many variables going around to make a solid general conclusion on a subject such as this.

I only elaborate on this because I as well as many nice people I’ve met over the years, have been met with name calling, and quite a bit of misunderstanding on this subject. I’m not upset or anything, I just would like to point out that there’s quite a bit research a person as an individual should do concerning testing out the waters, and there’s also not a lot of research that has been conducted spanding varying aspects enough to reach a solid, over arching conclusion of marijuana, however that doesnt make marijuana “bad”.

Margarita
March 29th, 2018, 04:24 AM
I meant medical marijuana on pills, firstly prescribed by a doctor in a hospital. As for that, surely enough marijuana can trigger mentality issues, and many things which leads to worser states than before. So sad people think marijuana is better than cigarettes, cigarettes may not burn brain cells but marijuana is considered a psychedelic drug, no matter they think marijuana heals asthma, and kills cancer cells. Oh, cancer cells! Marijuana actually "calms down" the symptoms of cancer.

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2018, 05:07 AM
I meant medical marijuana on pills, firstly prescribed by a doctor in a hospital. As for that, surely enough marijuana can trigger mentality issues, and many things which leads to worser states than before. So sad people think marijuana is better than cigarettes, cigarettes may not burn brain cells but marijuana is considered a psychedelic drug, no matter they think marijuana heals asthma, and kills cancer cells. Oh, cancer cells! Marijuana actually "calms down" the symptoms of cancer.

That’s what I mean by misconceptions.

Pills prescribed by DOCTORS can trigger mentality issues. It goes either way.

You speak in general as if every last person will eventually just lose their minds and go off their rockers if they partake in marijuana usage to their liking. Can you vouch for the other billions of people on this planet? Everyone is an individual, and everyone is different. Some people can handle large amounts, some can handle moderate or light amounts, and some people cannot handle it whatsoever. “Surely enough marijuana” can make others feel uncomfortable, and “surely enough marijuana can make others just extremely hungry, and want to take a nap no matter how much more they decide to partake.

Marijuana isn’t LSD. It has similar psychoactive properties, but none to the degree of lysergic acid. If you really want to talk about about “mentality issues”. But as I’ve said before numerous times, it is completely up to the individual to make the best choices for themselves.

And I repeat that again, it’s up to the individual. Much like having a responsible amount of wine or other alcoholic beverage, marijuana is no different, and should be consumed RESPONDSIBLY. To whatever degree that caters to the individual.

Marijuana that hasn’t been lit, but consumed in other forms beats the C02, and carcinogenic elements of a lit cigarette by a long shot concerning lung health.

Just because people have tested and tried certain remedies containing marijuana doesn’t make it “so sad”. That’s beyond condescending to say.

As far as it being psychoactive, it does produce those properties, which is why people can opt for CBD/hemp derivatives, or opt for very low dosages that have low/no effect, but a few of the relaxation properties, if they feel it helps them.

As far as research or people testing marijuana for cancer, why do you have a nasty attitude towards it? If it can be used (without smoking it), in other forms and can aid in relaxation, and other possible benefits, what’s your problem? Is it the stigma around it that bothers you? It may or may not aid in helping certain forms of cancer regress. It may not help in the regression, but it’s helping a cancer patient feel better, be able to relax a bit more, what’s the big deal? Have you done any research? Enough research?

Most of the “peer reviewed studies” people mention only study the effects of smoking the plant. Ergo, releasing C02. Of course there’s links to neck, lung, and sinus cancers. It can also disturb the brain very similarly the way cigarettes do.

However there’s not even close to a decent amount of studies and info concerning marijuana usage without burning it. That’s where benefits can come from, minus the smoke, combustion, and byproducts of lighting it on fire. The oils that are extracted, are much like oils of other plants we are all familiar with. You opt for ones with or without THC.

But I digress. I’ll go ahead and KNIT on this one.

vampyyri
March 29th, 2018, 06:05 AM
While I appreciate the concern, I did not come here to be judged about my future decisions or for medical advice. Let's just say I've had plenty of experience and success, and not everything is a statistic like it's written in a textbook format. I vape currently as well to calm my anxiety, and I imagine a few people have things to say about that as well. I find these options to be better than taking SSRIs which are proven to be dangerous. I have experience in this as well, experience which made me quit taking these pills altogether. It's scary stuff that happens to you when you quit them cold turkey, full blown withdrawal symptoms. I can go on and off the "devil's lettuce" without hallucinations, brain zaps, paranoia, dizziness, inability to stand, vomiting... etc. Therefore, a safer option for me personally.

I was simply making a statement on the correlation of stress-induced growth stalls for hair, because it most definitely is a thing. It reduces my stress levels, which lowers my high blood pressure, cuts down on the cortisol and adrenaline in my system, and overall makes me healthier. Healthier body, healthier hair!

Alissalocks
March 29th, 2018, 08:31 AM
It doesn't seem to affect my hair at all. I'm on the medical program for anxiety, and have been a regular user for decades.

Not gonna get involved in any of the reefer madness discussion on this thread; everyone should be able to address their health as they and their doctors see fit.

Please leave your minds open before chastising others for their health choices... that's all.

YvetteVarie
March 29th, 2018, 08:45 AM
I do not know of the effects of smoking marijuana on hair. What I do know is people in my country beleive that crushing marijuana seeds, and mixing them with something like vaseline. They then use this mixture to oil their scalps. Most people believe its very effective for hair growth, I'm still on the fence about it.

MoonRabbit
March 29th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Never noticed a difference on my hair, I highly doubt smoking would do much in growth or damage.

Wiggy Stardust
March 29th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I don't think cannabis would affect hair growth more than any other thing. It is soon going to be legalized in my country but I consider myself an infrequent consumer. My hair grows about 3/4 of an inch monthly regardless of my consumption. As for hair quality... I'm a recent ex-smoker of cigarettes so I think there's nowhere to go but up.

I find it interesting that there's still a large taboo. Medical MJ is not too different from standard MJ, particularly with dispensaries offering pretty good information about CBD/THC content.
I think people think that if you attach "medical" to something, that it instantly becomes ok. I believe MJ is safer than most prescription drugs targeted for pain relief, so I'm not sure why the stigma is so present. While it is linked to certain types of psychosis, one should know that individuals predisposed to psychosis are very likely to seek an escape through drugs or alcohol anyway. I have experienced depression induced hallucinations long before I've ever touched marijuana, and the two never really coexisted. Maybe if there was overlap, I'd be in the camp believing that it triggers psychosis too. Over consumption of anything is negative, it does not make that substance dangerous.

Correlation does not imply causation. Knowing someone who smoked every day with thick/thin/no hair could just be an age related or genetics related thing.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2018, 12:33 PM
LOL this thread is hilarious.

I especially love the “only use medical marijuana” bit.
Like as if there’s a difference between the recreational and medical marijuana you can purchase.
LOL.

I won’t say anything more other than, I’ve been smoking marijuana daily for about 6 ish years.
On and off with the frequency — either because I had to stop for an employer or whatnot.
I had to stop smoking recently because I had lasik and marijuana can cause dry eye.
But from personal experience, I saw no effect on my hair. I don’t think there’s any correlation.
In fact, I think my hair is in better condition from smoking — not because the marijuana has direct correlation to hair growth, but because it helps with stress. And I am majorly stressed - what with anxiety disorder and all which I had since the age of 12.
I also had an eating disorder. I went from 108lbs and now I’m around 140lbs.
Sure, I could probably lose a few for aesthetics. But before I was smoking, I was very thin. My hair was brittle and didn’t grow.
I was on this forum and my hair wasn’t growing. I started smoking around the age of 19 and now my hair is the longest it has ever been in my life. Did weed make it grow? No. But did it soothe my eating issues and anxiety problems which are issues that can effect growth? Yes!! Majorly! Yes!!!

I am in no way saying that if you smoke weed your hair will magically grow out better.
But if you’re dealing with some issues that maybe pharmaceutical companies haven’t fixed, it’s somethjng to consider.
Will it make your hair grow? Fall out? Stink? That’s up to you. Everyone is different.

Kiiruna
March 29th, 2018, 01:16 PM
As a psych nurse who has treated several cases of psychotic disorders caused by marijuana, I just want to say that please remember that marijuana is not for everyone. If you or your family or friends notice any psychotic or prodromal symptoms, you should quit using marijuana and seek medical help.

gustavonut
March 29th, 2018, 02:49 PM
It doesn't seem to affect my hair at all. I'm on the medical program for anxiety, and have been a regular user for decades.

Not gonna get involved in any of the reefer madness discussion on this thread; everyone should be able to address their health as they and their doctors see fit.

Please leave your minds open before chastising others for their health choices... that's all.

I agree with you completely.

spidermom
March 29th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Just to be on topic, I'll say that I never noticed difference in my hair between times I didn't smoke marijuana at all and times I smoked regularly.

As in hair care, when it comes to marijuana and its effects, YMMV. I'm one of those people who could never stay still, much less sleep, after smoking marijuana. My favorite activities while "high" were gardening or house cleaning. I could go like the energizer bunny for hours. However, I couldn't eat or drink marijuana at all. It would send me into paralyzing anxiety, the type were you can only sit and tremble while hyperventilating.

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 02:56 PM
I say all of this simply because there’s a lot of people who demonize marijuana. Like Blue Mermaid said, concerning addiction rates, withdrawal, anxiety, depression, etc. It’s up to the individual to make wise, thought out decisions. Everything in moderation. Although I feel like the effects of opiates, pain killers, and other “legal” narcotics cause far more damage physically and psychosomatically than marijuana ever could, and people are more willing to take manufactured pills that have side effects worse than what you’re trying to treat in the first place.

I’m not blaming or flaming anyone who takes prescribed medication in pill form. There’s a place for everything, but I feel like if you’re comparing studies, there’s far more ill side effects from Pharma companies than marijuana.

I am glad you added that last paragraph; because I have no choice in the matter. I got in a car wreck, got a chronic pain condition and became disabled. Not my fault.

It is a choice you make to either go the traditional route, or another alternate route.

That choice is up to everyone individually.

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I am glad you added that last paragraph; because I have no choice in the matter. I got in a car wreck, got a chronic pain condition and became disabled. Not my fault.

It is a choice you make to either go the traditional route, or another alternate route.

That choice is up to everyone individually.

Of course. Instances where decisions are out of your hand, are a no brainer Lapushka. Especially for situations that involve accidents like yours. Whichever one is allowing you to feel better and progress. Definitely.

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Of course. Instances where decisions are out of your hand, are a no brainer Lapushka. Especially for situations that involve accidents like yours. Whichever one is allowing you to feel better and progress. Definitely.

Thank you for saying that, because -it's true- not everyone understands and thinks "mind over matter", but in my case the pain is so extreme in nature that... that's not a nice thing to say. Understanding goes a long way. Thank you!!! :flower:

Alissalocks
March 29th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Thank you for saying that, because -it's true- not everyone understands and thinks "mind over matter", but in my case the pain is so extreme in nature that... that's not a nice thing to say. Understanding goes a long way. Thank you!!! :flower:

Personally? I think you're smart to treat with options other than Big Pharma. But I lost a friend to oxycodone. (I hate big pharma.)

...sorry to OT rant but I also wanted to support you lapushka. :grouphug:

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2018, 03:35 PM

And your welcome Lapushka. :grouphug:

Blue Mermaid
March 29th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I hope no one thought I was bashing marijuana, because I'm not. I'm very much a "everyone has free will" person, but I did feel obligated to contribute some counter points as it is not something to be trifled with. I'd hate for a young, impressionable member to see everyone raving about it here and decide to try it without considering possible consequences. I'm not sure where you're from, but around here all you hear is "LEGALIZE IT LEGALIZE IT" and "IT CURES ANY MENTAL ILLNESS AND SEiZURES AND CANCER ETC, ETC, ETC.." without any rational counterpoints of "hey, this is not good for everyone. In fact, 10% of people who try this will become dependant- unable to function without it! Do you want to chain yourself to a substance? Can you take that risk? Is the risk worth the potential benefit?" As you folks have mentioned, there's drawbacks to just about every medication you could take. What works for lapushka may not work for you. That's ok. The opiod epidemic isn't entirely the fault of big pharma, though. It's a combination of poor mental health services/support, doctors who would rather write a script than hunt down a diagnosis, and a society of instant gratification. Unfortunately the people that suffer the most are the mentally ill and the ones with real, chronic pain because now narcotics are harder to come by/have more regulation.

Have I ever tried it? NO. HECK NO. Probably never will. The smell makes me instantly nauseous. I do wish people who smoked would be considerate of others- and not smoke it on school property, public places, or show up into a crowded space reeking of it. I've had to leave concerts before because people around me were smoking marijuana and the smell made me throw up over and over and I couldn't stop, couldn't get away from the smell (it was indoors). Therefore, I can't personally say whether it works for x,y, or z. I do know my ex struggled with it- he was unable to stop despite being in multiple car wrecks, losing friendships, his driving license, his job and losing me. Nothing was more important to him, unfortunately. He had an addiction issue, though. He was able to clean up his act and kick everything- alcohol, cigarettes, other recreational drugs. But he never was able to kick the marijuana habit and I couldn't cope with him coming home high, picking him up from jail because he got caught/in an accident, the smell making me nauseous, etc. I also didn't want to have to support him financially due to his bad choices. As a first responder, I have dealt with people who were in acute psychosis from marijuana. So I've seen it personally, and it is quite scary- it took enough Versed to put down a horse to stop the patients from hurting themselves or others.

littlestarface
March 29th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Dang I didn't know we had so many druggies on a hair forum LOL.

school of fish
March 29th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Dang I didn't know we had so many druggies on a hair forum LOL.

How else are we all going to pass that benign neglect time? ;) :p

Blue Mermaid
March 29th, 2018, 04:05 PM

:lol:

Actually I'm not surprised. Remember the hippies from the 70's!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2018, 04:10 PM

Most folks here are way younger than that.

Groovy Granny
March 29th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Why yes ....I DO remember :flower: :lol:

Those days are LONG gone by for me now though; ironically...due to bad lungs :p

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Personally? I think you're smart to treat with options other than Big Pharma. But I lost a friend to oxycodone. (I hate big pharma.)

...sorry to OT rant but I also wanted to support you lapushka. :grouphug:

Sorry but I'm not familiar with that medication, personally. Please don't just draw conclusions like that. I don't take that medication. :flower:

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I hope no one thought I was bashing marijuana, because I'm not. I'm very much a "everyone has free will" person, but I did feel obligated to contribute some counter points as it is not something to be trifled with. I'd hate for a young, impressionable member to see everyone raving about it here and decide to try it without considering possible consequences. I'm not sure where you're from, but around here all you hear is "LEGALIZE IT LEGALIZE IT" and "IT CURES ANY MENTAL ILLNESS AND SEiZURES AND CANCER ETC, ETC, ETC.." without any rational counterpoints of "hey, this is not good for everyone. In fact, 10% of people who try this will become dependant- unable to function without it! Do you want to chain yourself to a substance? Can you take that risk? Is the risk worth the potential benefit?" As you folks have mentioned, there's drawbacks to just about every medication you could take. What works for lapushka may not work for you. That's ok. The opiod epidemic isn't entirely the fault of big pharma, though. It's a combination of poor mental health services/support, doctors who would rather write a script than hunt down a diagnosis, and a society of instant gratification. Unfortunately the people that suffer the most are the mentally ill and the ones with real, chronic pain because now narcotics are harder to come by/have more regulation.

Have I ever tried it? NO. HECK NO. Probably never will. The smell makes me instantly nauseous. I do wish people who smoked would be considerate of others- and not smoke it on school property, public places, or show up into a crowded space reeking of it. I've had to leave concerts before because people around me were smoking marijuana and the smell made me throw up over and over and I couldn't stop, couldn't get away from the smell (it was indoors). Therefore, I can't personally say whether it works for x,y, or z. I do know my ex struggled with it- he was unable to stop despite being in multiple car wrecks, losing friendships, his driving license, his job and losing me. Nothing was more important to him, unfortunately. He had an addiction issue, though. He was able to clean up his act and kick everything- alcohol, cigarettes, other recreational drugs. But he never was able to kick the marijuana habit and I couldn't cope with him coming home high, picking him up from jail because he got caught/in an accident, the smell making me nauseous, etc. I also didn't want to have to support him financially due to his bad choices. As a first responder, I have dealt with people who were in acute psychosis from marijuana. So I've seen it personally, and it is quite scary- it took enough Versed to put down a horse to stop the patients from hurting themselves or others.

Considering since I also got a bit riled up concerning this, definitely not. I understand everyone comes from all walks of life, and I didn’t think you were bashing it. What ticked me off was the comment proceeding yours.

I’m sorry someone close to you got caught up in all the negative things marijuana can put onto a person. But that’s also why I commented to be responsible. As much as you possibly can be. If that entails not even giving it a second thought, or being proactive about just deciding not to, that’s more power to you because you can decipher what is best for you.

The people of the marijuana communities can be downright unpleasant to talk to and be around. With society making a big hype about the usage of it, it’s almost like marijuana becomes you. And all that does is create a messed up picture for other groups of people who look at it as a normal commodity that doesn’t need such intense hype about it.

Definitely agree about the opiate issue. I could’ve been more specific, instead of only listing one aspect.

I hope I didn’t make you think I was bashing the use of prescription medication. I myself used to take an antidepressant. I fought it for a while and wondered why it wasn’t working, but I had to let it work.

If it makes you feel better, I can personally vouch for myself and my husband. My husband has used marijuana ever since I met him, and I was introduced to marijuana as a means to supplement my training. Not during of course, but afterwards on my recovery days. We care about others around us, and for the friends and family who request that we don’t mention or do it around them, we don’t. I can understand how as a first responder it’s time consuming and disheartening seeing instances and issues like the ones you’ve mentioned. But I’d like to give you a bit of positivity and let you know that there’s folks out here, myself included that you wouldn’t have to ever worry about.

We don’t particularly like how loud and overcoming the smell is either, so he opted for a vaporless pen, and I opted for THC oil. On a monthly basis I’ll use it maybe 5-6 times out of an entire month. So we’ve put it on ourselves to be responsible with the product we have. None of us use it in places of establishment, or at education campuses. We’ve talked to our past doctors about our decisions with marijuana as well, and they gave us the green light to responsibly try out some structured options as well. We understand that marijuana doesn’t make the person, and it’s definitely not the center of our lives at all. It’s helped my husband with anxiety, in amounts suitable for him, and it’s helped me with my sports injury coupled with physical therapy.

We definitely don’t carry that mentality of “legalize, legalize, legalize!” I understand how offputting that is. While we do support the legalization of it one day, we also support the regulation of it as well.

Concerning the hype around cancer and marijuana, it may or it may not work, but I think that’s for the people struggling and going through the battle with cancer to decide. I tried my best to be very neutral about it by saying it may or may not work, because I can’t fully understand because it’s something that has never happened to me before

I enjoy seeing your side of things. On the flip side for me, I’ve been met with mostly judgment. That’s why I kind of went into defense mode, which I apologize for. I’m not a first responder or have worked as one, but too have seen all the things that can go wrong with marijuana, alcohol, narcotics, etc. But I’ve also seen the good marijuana can bring as well. It comes down a persons character as well as their mental state too, which I’m also in no position to judge.

I understand how marijuana has a very real and negative aspect that you’ve observed in your work field, and I was just trying to bring the other opposite more real and positive aspects of it into perspective as well, and I again I apologize if I made you feel like your feelings and opinions on the subject were wrong.

gustavonut
March 29th, 2018, 05:40 PM

LOL. “Druggies”

lithostoic
March 29th, 2018, 07:08 PM
I'd like to come back and add, the only time marijuana was BAD for my hair was the time I accidentally torched some wispies while lighting a joint. Now I know to tilt my head back lol.

I haven't been without marijuana for longer than a week or so in THREE YEARS. It helps my sleeping problems, mental issues, and physical pain. That being said, my hair has only gotten longer and longer :P

Beckstar
March 29th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I'd like to come back and add, the only time marijuana was BAD for my hair was the time I accidentally torched some wispies while lighting a joint. Now I know to tilt my head back lol.

I haven't been without marijuana for longer than a week or so in THREE YEARS. It helps my sleeping problems, mental issues, and physical pain. That being said, my hair has only gotten longer and longer :P

I torched my bangs while lighting a cigarette for my sister. 1980s + big hair + hairspray + gas burner = Poof.

I guess everyone will have a different reaction. I've never smoked it so I don't know from personal experience.

lithostoic
March 29th, 2018, 07:22 PM
I torched my bangs while lighting a cigarette for my sister. 1980s + big hair + hairspray + gas burner = Poof.

Yikes! Way worse than the wispies. I was very fortunate haha. Too bad I wasn't alive for the 80s, it seemed fun. Except for the threat of nuclear war ... But we still have that now.

Beckstar
March 29th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Yikes! Way worse than the wispies. I was very fortunate haha. Too bad I wasn't alive for the 80s, it seemed fun. Except for the threat of nuclear war ... But we still have that now.
Thankfully I was too young to be aware of the political issues and threats of the 80s. My sister did smoke weed and my brother-in-law and they both had really nice thick healthy hair. Connection? Don't really know.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2018, 09:07 PM
HAHA “druggies”
I cant even.
I guess there’s a reason why I hide comments from users here. :rolleyes:

Alissalocks
March 30th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Sorry but I'm not familiar with that medication, personally. Please don't just draw conclusions like that. I don't take that medication. :flower:

That was not my point, it was about avoiding Big Pharma as a solution, not about a particular prescription. I never said you take it.

Shouldn't have brought up such a painful issue for me and expect compassion. Sorry I mentioned it.

lapushka
March 30th, 2018, 08:32 AM
That was not my point, it was about avoiding Big Pharma as a solution, not about a particular prescription. I never said you take it.

Shouldn't have brought up such a painful issue for me and expect compassion. Sorry I mentioned it.

It's OK. Sometimes we mention these things. I'm sure you meant no offense and I'm sorry I took it the wrong way too. I am the opposite. I trust traditional medicine, still, after all I've been through (which is a long story, I'll save you that). :flower:

gustavonut
March 30th, 2018, 11:20 AM
HAHA “druggies”
I cant even.
I guess there’s a reason why I hide comments from users here. :rolleyes:

Girl tell me about it. That’s why I don’t even comment sometimes. People are too close minded and jump to conclusions about others and it’s so sad. :mad:

xoChesleyy
April 2nd, 2018, 05:53 PM
Littlestarface- I only smoke marijuana, however, why is it so surprising to you that myself and others who do are on a hair forum...? Would it also surprise you if someone who smokes pot is a part of a skincare community, reads a forum about animals, or has a workout blog, for instance? Users of the "devil's lettuce" still have hobbies like anyone else so I really see no shocker about a MJ user to be on a hair forum, lol.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, some people smoke it occasionally because it is a better alternative for them than taking prescription drugs and it isn't all "bad".

Besides, if someone isn't letting it control their life, they are responsible and smart about it, what is the issue? Use does not mean abuse at all.

Aredhel
April 2nd, 2018, 06:04 PM
I could be wrong y'all, but I'm fairly certain Littlestarface's comment was tongue in cheek...;)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 2nd, 2018, 06:06 PM
I could be wrong y'all, but I'm fairly certain Littlestarface's comment was tongue in cheek...;)

I took it that way too.

Hexen
April 2nd, 2018, 09:35 PM
Commentary on a message board can no doubt be confusing sometimes. This is no secret. However in an age of vastly widerspread acceptance and even legalization of this plant, some terminologies that were generally applied in a derogatory manner in the past may likely, and understandably, be perceived as even more so in the present. And typically you will not hear one smoker, call another smoker, a "druggie", even in a tongue and cheek manner. So the implication here might be seen as someone that chooses not to partake, as stigmatizing those that do choose to. And again, understandably so.

Personally, it didnt bother me though as I have long ago quit smoking cigarettes, and gotten past allowing certain monikers to define me. Not to mention that some of my past and hopefully ongoing achievements, as well as what I hope is a decent intellectual standing, has served as an unbreachable wall of defense against those that would take up their proverbial arms against me in this matter.

So if anyone hasnt guessed by now via my words here, I am most definitely a consumer. The main difference between I and a non consumer though as a general rule as I have experienced it, is that they will be much more likely to judge me for my usage... than I will ever to do to them for their abstinence.

Hail Mary. :thumbsup:

AutobotsAttack
April 2nd, 2018, 10:33 PM
Commentary on a message board can no doubt be confusing sometimes. This is no secret. However in an age of vastly widerspread acceptance and even legalization of this plant, some terminologies that were generally applied in a derogatory manner in the past may likely, and understandably, be perceived as even more so in the present. And typically you will not hear one smoker, call another smoker, a "druggie", even in a tongue and cheek manner. So the implication here might be seen as someone that chooses not to partake, as stigmatizing those that do choose to. And again, understandably so.

Personally, it didnt bother me though as I have long ago quit smoking cigarettes, and gotten past allowing certain monikers to define me. Not to mention that some of my past and hopefully ongoing achievements, as well as what I hope is a decent intellectual standing, has served as an unbreachable wall of defense against those that would take up their proverbial arms against me in this matter.

So if anyone hasnt guessed by now via my words here, I am most definitely a consumer. The main difference between I and a non consumer though as a general rule as I have experienced it, is that they will be much more likely to judge me for my usage... than I will ever to do to them for their abstinence.

Hail Mary. :thumbsup:

Someone needs to frame this. All of this :hifive:

Beckstar
April 2nd, 2018, 10:44 PM
Isn't alcohol far more damaging? and yet most people wouldn't give a second thought to having a drink or two. I haven't ever smoked it and I don't think I ever will. But if I got cancer? Light me up one, Agnes.

Aredhel
April 3rd, 2018, 04:51 AM
As a heavy user, I personally just didn't take her comment that way.:shrug: I do understand that we are all different though.

chrissy-b
April 3rd, 2018, 12:06 PM
I don’t think pot ever really affected my hair one way or the other. The smoke itself might have been bad but when I was smoking pot regularly I was also smoking cigarettes so.

Marijuana has the opposite effect on me than most people (doesn’t matter which strain I use). It makes me hyper and not hungry. So when I smoke I usually have to go for a walk/hike or a bike ride or clean my house and since exercise is good for hair growth maybe it does help a little. Aha!

Reyn127
April 3rd, 2018, 06:50 PM
I don't have the source, it's just something I remember seeing on here a few months ago, but....

I heard that THC consumption can actually slow down hair loss by interfering with DHT, a testosterone-related hormone.

Maybe someone can find the actual info on this?

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 07:33 PM
Smoking marijuana causes hair loss. Heck, haven’t you noticed how many potheads have dreadful haireven in their teens???

https://www.uniquehairconcepts.com/blog/78-regular-marijuana-use-and-hair-loss.html

There are actually a ton of studies on this.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 07:35 PM
I don't have the source, it's just something I remember seeing on here a few months ago, but....

I heard that THC consumption can actually slow down hair loss by interfering with DHT, a testosterone-related hormone.

Maybe someone can find the actual info on this?

It causes breast development in men, especially teen boys, and it decreases male muscle mass, but there’s a cannaboid receptor that, when triggered, directly stunts hair growth. There are some other (legal and OTC) drugs that also trigger this receptor, which isn’t linked to the high from marijuana.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 07:38 PM
Isn't alcohol far more damaging? and yet most people wouldn't give a second thought to having a drink or two. I haven't ever smoked it and I don't think I ever will. But if I got cancer? Light me up one, Agnes.

Alcohol fries your liver. There aren’t any hair-growth issues that I’ve run into, though.

Beckstar
April 3rd, 2018, 08:40 PM
Alcohol fries your liver. There aren’t any hair-growth issues that I’ve run into, though.

I thought it depletes the body of B vitamins. But that could be if you drink in excess. Anything done in excess can be bad I suppose. Even healthy things.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 09:17 PM
I thought it depletes the body of B vitamins. But that could be if you drink in excess. Anything done in excess can be bad I suppose. Even healthy things.

Probably if you get to the point that you’re destroying your liver, your hair will suffer, too. :) Cigarettes and marijuana both cause hair loss at the “regular user” level. I can search for alcohol—I can’t imagine it’s GOOD for hair!—but I haven’t constantly come across stuff about it when trying to look up substances that promote hair growth, like I have with cigarettes and marijuana.

Hexen
April 4th, 2018, 12:06 AM
It causes breast development in men, especially teen boys, and it decreases male muscle mass, but there’s a cannaboid receptor that, when triggered, directly stunts hair growth. There are some other (legal and OTC) drugs that also trigger this receptor, which isn’t linked to the high from marijuana.

Its pretty unanimous that there is no real scientific evidence that links marijuana usage and gynecomastia.

Which is interesting, and ironic. Especially in the fact that the only thing thats ever even had me slightly mistaken for a woman was my healthy nearly hip length hair, and not my huge voluptuous weed induced boobies.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Beckstar
April 4th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Its pretty unanimous that there is no real scientific evidence that links marijuana usage and gynecomastia.

Which is interesting, and ironic. Especially in the fact that the only thing thats ever even had me slightly mistaken for a woman was my healthy nearly hip length hair, and not my huge voluptuous weed induced boobies.

You've never had someone request you to sing Jolene or 9 to 5?

Hexen
April 4th, 2018, 11:48 PM
You've never had someone request you to sing Jolene or 9 to 5?

Jolene not so much.
But 9 to 5, yes. Which is why I've had to completely stop making appearances at these things.

https://image.ibb.co/i3DJhH/pp.png (https://imgbb.com/)

But alls well, as 'wigs' have always looked far too unnatural on me.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling-lol.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

AutobotsAttack
April 5th, 2018, 01:25 AM

Hexen, I gotta hand it to ya, I love your attitude towards things like this.

It’s one thing to assume, but when people in general start pulling random articles or site stuff they’ve read online without even knowing or caring to know how credible of a source they’re reading, it’s hard for people to come together on anything.

Smoking marijuana causes hair loss. Heck, haven’t you noticed how many potheads have dreadful haireven in their teens???

https://www.uniquehairconcepts.com/blog/78-regular-marijuana-use-and-hair-loss.html

There are actually a ton of studies on this.

I’ve noticed how many people say extremely overblown out of proportion statements such as yourself about giant masses of people they know nothing about. There’s millions of pot smokers sporting perfectly healthy heads of hair, o suppose they fit your criteria of having “dreadful hair”?

Concerning your article, Yes smoking it. That article studied the effects of smoking it. Cite some studies concerning its usage when it’s not smoked. There’s plenty of other ways, and a lot of people are on board with it because there’s virtually no carcinogenic effects. Where’s the studies on its usage of its in edible form, or oil form, vapors, or in sprays? Practically everything is bad for you if C02 is a by product.

It’s practically a no brainer with alcohol and hair loss. Alcohol blocks the abilities for the body to uptake minerals, of any at all, including your hair, skin, and nails. Dehydration. Alcohol can zap iron levels in females effecting hair growth. Magnesium and potassium levels are effected which also effect hair. There’s an NCBI website that’s filled with credible articles. Type in alcohol and hair loss, and that should do the trick.

Not to mention there’s thousands of incomplete or straight up misleading studies on other ways marijuana can be consumed. Or they mostly study marijuana when it burned or smoked and the effect it has on the respiratory system. There’s so many things lacking in proper let alone decent studies. Not to mention it’s not done on even nearly enough people to come to a general conclusion. They don’t include information on someone’s medical history, their genetics, their diet, or if they exercise or not. All of these influence the precision and accuracy of these studies.

It’s expensive and tedious to do proper, long lasting, detail oriented studies, so I guess most institutions would just rather not, and let the masses keep their assumptions and stigmas alive and well.

Aredhel
April 5th, 2018, 05:43 AM
I’ve noticed how many people say extremely overblown out of proportion statements such as yourself about giant masses of people they know nothing about. There’s millions of pot smokers sporting perfectly healthy heads of hair, o suppose they fit your criteria of having “dreadful hair”?

My thoughts exactly. I know a lot of "potheads" who have very long and thick hair, and some with thin hair. Sort of like the general population. :rolleyes: I'd also like to know what the definition of "dreadful" hair even is. When it comes to pot smoking teens, I'd wager any hair in poor condition has more to do with them being lazy/rebellious/negligent with their hair than smoking pot.

Plus, let's lay off on the hair superiority here... let's not pretend that many of us haven't had issues with thin hair either. Those issues never made our hair "dreadful".

lapushka
April 5th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Not the cigarette smoking thing again, surely. If that were true, my aunt wouldn't have thicker hair than mine. She has smoked all her life, and has always had a thick head of hair. My mom smoked too, all her life, less now than she used to, but her hair isn't growing back in thicker, I can tell you that much. And she's had thin hair due to pregnancy (and it not regrowing) and menopause. All things my aunt (her sister) went through as well, and she's got the thickest hair you can imagine. She has regular high- and lowlights done and pays extortionate amounts due to the thickness of her hair. It's insane. So if that doesn't say there are exceptions and you can't just up and generalize, I don't know what does. :flower:

Aredhel
April 5th, 2018, 06:28 AM
Not the cigarette smoking thing again, surely. If that were true, my aunt wouldn't have thicker hair than mine. She has smoked all her life, and has always had a thick head of hair. My mom smoked too, all her life, less now than she used to, but her hair isn't growing back in thicker, I can tell you that much. And she's had thin hair due to pregnancy (and it not regrowing) and menopause. All things my aunt (her sister) went through as well, and she's got the thickest hair you can imagine. She has regular high- and lowlights done and pays extortionate amounts due to the thickness of her hair. It's insane. So if that doesn't say there are exceptions and you can't just up and generalize, I don't know what does. :flower:
Definitely! I was a chain smoker for about a decade, but before that my hair thickness was exactly the same as it is now. I quit 2 or 3 years ago, but my hair has remained the same thickness the entire time... before, during and after.

I started smoking pot about 5 years ago as well, and that has not caused my hair to thin out either.

vampyyri
April 5th, 2018, 03:35 PM
It’s one thing to assume, but when people in general start pulling random articles or site stuff they’ve read online without even knowing or caring to know how credible of a source they’re reading, it’s hard for people to come together on anything.

Agreed. This is one of my major pet peeves... there's an article for everything, but not everything is credible. I've dealt with many a person trying to show me articles to prove a point, and it never gets anywhere. Generalizing an entire group of people never ends well.

There's outliers, because we're all different. Not every person who smokes weed gets a precise set of symptoms. Your hair is not at a 100% chance of falling out, just like if you smoke cigarettes you're not going to have a 100% chance of lung cancer.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 5th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Hexen, I gotta hand it to ya, I love your attitude towards things like this.

Concerning your article, Yes smoking it. That article studied the effects of smoking it. Cite some studies concerning its usage when it’s not smoked. There’s plenty of other ways, and a lot of people are on board with it because there’s virtually no carcinogenic effects. Where’s the studies on its usage of its in edible form, or oil form, vapors, or in sprays? Practically everything is bad for you if C02 is a by product.

It’s practically a no brainer with alcohol and hair loss. Alcohol blocks the abilities for the body to uptake minerals, of any at all, including your hair, skin, and nails. Dehydration. Alcohol can zap iron levels in females effecting hair growth. Magnesium and potassium levels are effected which also effect hair. There’s an NCBI website that’s filled with credible articles. Type in alcohol and hair loss, and that should do the trick.

Not to mention there’s thousands of incomplete or straight up misleading studies on other ways marijuana can be consumed. Or they mostly study marijuana when it burned or smoked and the effect it has on the respiratory system. There’s so many things lacking in proper let alone decent studies. Not to mention it’s not done on even nearly enough people to come to a general conclusion. They don’t include information on someone’s medical history, their genetics, their diet, or if they exercise or not. All of these influence the precision and accuracy of these studies.

It’s expensive and tedious to do proper, long lasting, detail oriented studies, so I guess most institutions would just rather not, and let the masses keep their assumptions and stigmas alive and well.

It’s also very important to see who is putting money into this “research”.
A lot of articles claiming this nonsense not only use small groups to study but are financially supported by political groups and companies/people that seek to end the legalization of marijuana.

This forum is making me laugh, days later still.

gustavonut
April 5th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Oh my gosh people. :doh:

nycelle
April 5th, 2018, 04:02 PM
I have no feelings about it either way, but I do agree with autobotsattack- legalize and regulate.

Here in NYC, our mayor decriminalized having up to 25 grams I believe.
Problem is, now people think they can smoke everywhere even though that still isn't allowed. So unfortunately, you have those have taken complete advantage of it.

My neighborhood is a prime example. It's extremely family oriented. It's also the quieter part of the city near the water.
Since last year, it's the place to go if you want to smoke. It got extremely out of hand, so much so, there's a police presence here now where as before, we had a private security company patrolling.

I stand by adults being allowed to do what they want, provided it doesn't encroach on their neighbors quality of life. And that's where I see the issue being- legalizing without regulating. But until the Federal government decriminalizes it, I don't see how it could be regulated successfully.

Beckstar
April 5th, 2018, 05:22 PM
I haven't been Googling marijuana or clicking on the links but now I'm getting emails about the legalization of pot. Hmmmm? I'm neither pro nor con because I simple just don't know enough about it. This thread is definitely interesting.

Wow, I just realized how old this thread is.

languagenut
April 5th, 2018, 10:36 PM
I'd also like to know what the definition of "dreadful" hair even is.

"Full of dreads", of course! :p

iforgotmylogin
April 6th, 2018, 03:23 AM
I don't smoke pot much anymore but I regularly did for half my life, and I've always had thick, fast growing hair :D-~

Twig
April 6th, 2018, 10:27 AM
To state the obvious, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe. I CAN say, as a registered nurse, that outside of the health risks, that it accelerates the aging process, which is what I see in my patient population, and that includes your hair health quality, which IMHO is the least of anyone's worries if they're going to use. But to each his own.

AutobotsAttack
April 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM
To state the obvious, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe. I CAN say, as a registered nurse, that outside of the health risks, that it accelerates the aging process, which is what I see in my patient population, and that includes your hair health quality, which IMHO is the least of anyone's worries if they're going to use. But to each his own.

Which is why there’s like three previous pages explaining why more research is crucial.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 6th, 2018, 12:52 PM

This forum isn’t about whether or not pot is healthy. If you don’t like pot or you don’t want to smoke it or you don’t think others should, I don’t think this forum was made for you. The question was: does pot accelerate growth? The answer is no. The people on the forum that smoke pot regularly have already answered this. But now this post has turned into a discussion about whether or not you should smoke, it’s bad for you, it’s not bad for you, “I don’t smoke but if you do be aware of the risks!” Or “I’m a nurse so I know what I’m saying!” yadda yadda yadda.

This is a hair forum.

Aredhel
April 6th, 2018, 01:26 PM
This forum isn’t about whether or not pot is healthy. If you don’t like pot or you don’t want to smoke it or you don’t think others should, I don’t think this forum was made for you. The question was: does pot accelerate growth? The answer is no. The people on the forum that smoke pot regularly have already answered this. But now this post has turned into a discussion about whether or not you should smoke, it’s bad for you, it’s not bad for you, “I don’t smoke but if you do be aware of the risks!” Or “I’m a nurse so I know what I’m saying!” yadda yadda yadda.

This is a hair forum.

Yes, this... I'm honestly exasperated with people constantly preaching about how unhealthy and awful it is, as though users are complete idiots that aren't aware of the potential health risks. Look at all the crap that everyone eats and puts into their bodies. :rolleyes: But no, smoking an herb is what's bad apparently, lol gimme a break.

AutobotsAttack
April 6th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Yes, this... I'm honestly exasperated with people constantly preaching about how unhealthy and awful it is, as though users are complete idiots that aren't aware of the potential health risks. Look at all the crap that everyone eats and puts into their bodies. :rolleyes: But no, smoking an herb is what's bad apparently, lol gimme a break.

Ditto. Very much ditto lol.

Gets me every time when people bash an herb that can be consumed in eco friendly, and lung friendly ways, but are using things filled with preservatives, additives, the do not follow a healthy diet, or they’re completely sedentary.

I’m not one for judging people, but there’s a bit of logical thinking to be had as well. Everything should be done in moderation, and there’s far more harmful things people do on a daily basis and don’t even think about that should be cut down drastically, or done in moderation also.

Aredhel
April 7th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Ditto. Very much ditto lol.

Gets me every time when people bash an herb that can be consumed in eco friendly, and lung friendly ways, but are using things filled with preservatives, additives, the do not follow a healthy diet, or they’re completely sedentary.

I’m not one for judging people, but there’s a bit of logical thinking to be had as well. Everything should be done in moderation, and there’s far more harmful things people do on a daily basis and don’t even think about that should be cut down drastically, or done in moderation also.

Couldn't have said this better myself! :agree:

lapushka
April 7th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Don't employers in the US do regular drug screenings? Depending on what company you work for? :hmm: That just hit me. How do you guys deal or cope with that? (Just a side question, BTW.)

I can't say how it affects hair, because I've never ever smoked it or otherwise used it. When I was in pain for 3 years before a pain treatment plan was put in place, it never occurred to me to try. Of course it's very much illegal here. And you run *real* risks.

JennGalt
April 7th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Don't employers in the US do regular drug screenings? Depending on what company you work for? :hmm: That just hit me. How do you guys deal or cope with that? (Just a side question, BTW.)

I can't say how it affects hair, because I've never ever smoked it or otherwise used it. When I was in pain for 3 years before a pain treatment plan was put in place, it never occurred to me to try. Of course it's very much illegal here. And you run *real* risks.

I live in a state where it is legal. Quite a few employers don't bother testing because if someone is using hard drugs they typically have obvious signs of drug use (e.g. needle tracks, erratic behavior, smell like ammonia, etc.). I have heard of a few companies that still require testing but don't care if the test comes back positive for marijuana. Anything requiring employees or employers to carry insurance or affiliated with the government requires a completely clean drug screen though.

Some people "study" for drug tests by taking someone else's urine in a small bottle concealed in their pants. Still others buy any product they are told will give them a clean result (none of these actually work). Others simply stop smoking and wait for their bodies to flush it out and get an honestly clean drug test.

As for hair tests, I have heard there are a few shampoos harsh enough to skew the results, though this works much better for people with fine hair. Pert and Head and Shoulders are the usual recommendations for this.

Wendyp
April 7th, 2018, 01:21 PM

It varies with each state. In a handful of states it’s now legal, a bunch more it’s legal only for medical use only, those remaining still illegal. I’d say to the legal/ illegal ratio it’s about half. There’s a huge push to totally decriminalize marijuana in this country all the way around. I only see the worst side of it though when people are severely addicted. I don’t even look at there hair because they have major life problems.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 7th, 2018, 01:34 PM

You just stop smoking. Its not a big deal. Marijuana users aren't drug addicts that cant last a week or need to "cope" with anything LOL. Sure, it might make a sh*tstorm with my anxiety and eating habits but, its not a big deal.

I stopped smoking for about a month before I got my position. This was the second time I had done it for the company but not the first time I had done it ever. I stop smoking periodically and so do a lot of other smokers as smoking too much too often causes you to build a tolerance. People stop for a few weeks to fix their tolerance levels. For me, its a sigh of relief when I can smoke again because it means I can get some solid sleep again. But thats about it. It’s annoying more than anything else.

Not to come off rude or anything. Promise I don’t intend to come off that way.
Just some comments here have really irked me, especially since I always thought LHC was a very open minded community, but some comments man. Irks me!

lapushka
April 7th, 2018, 02:34 PM
I live in a state where it is legal. Quite a few employers don't bother testing because if someone is using hard drugs they typically have obvious signs of drug use (e.g. needle tracks, erratic behavior, smell like ammonia, etc.). I have heard of a few companies that still require testing but don't care if the test comes back positive for marijuana. Anything requiring employees or employers to carry insurance or affiliated with the government requires a completely clean drug screen though.

Some people "study" for drug tests by taking someone else's urine in a small bottle concealed in their pants. Still others buy any product they are told will give them a clean result (none of these actually work). Others simply stop smoking and wait for their bodies to flush it out and get an honestly clean drug test.

As for hair tests, I have heard there are a few shampoos harsh enough to skew the results, though this works much better for people with fine hair. Pert and Head and Shoulders are the usual recommendations for this.

It's not legal in this country! I don't know employers that do drug screenings, though, but I had read and saw in programs that it can be imposed in the US.

It varies with each state. In a handful of states it’s now legal, a bunch more it’s legal only for medical use only, those remaining still illegal. I’d say to the legal/ illegal ratio it’s about half. There’s a huge push to totally decriminalize marijuana in this country all the way around. I only see the worst side of it though when people are severely addicted. I don’t even look at there hair because they have major life problems.

Yes, it's very much illegal in Belgium.

You just stop smoking. Its not a big deal. Marijuana users aren't drug addicts that cant last a week or need to "cope" with anything LOL. Sure, it might make a sh*tstorm with my anxiety and eating habits but, its not a big deal.

I stopped smoking for about a month before I got my position. This was the second time I had done it for the company but not the first time I had done it ever. I stop smoking periodically and so do a lot of other smokers as smoking too much too often causes you to build a tolerance. People stop for a few weeks to fix their tolerance levels. For me, its a sigh of relief when I can smoke again because it means I can get some solid sleep again. But thats about it. It’s annoying more than anything else.

Not to come off rude or anything. Promise I don’t intend to come off that way.
Just some comments here have really irked me, especially since I always thought LHC was a very open minded community, but some comments man. Irks me!

Does it get out of your system that fast? I didn't know that. See, I ask these questions because I'm genuinely curious, not to be annoying or anything. :flower:

JennGalt
April 7th, 2018, 03:14 PM
It's not legal in this country! I don't know employers that do drug screenings, though, but I had read and saw in programs that it can be imposed in the US.

Does it get out of your system that fast? I didn't know that. See, I ask these questions because I'm genuinely curious, not to be annoying or anything. :flower:

I don't find it annoying :)

The speed at which it leaves one's body depends on how often it is used. Someone who smokes weekly or less can expect it to clear out in 24-48 hours if they have a normal metabolism. A once-daily smoker will need a couple weeks, and a heavy smoker (multiple times per day) will likely need 4-6 weeks for a clean urine sample. Again, this will vary from person to person based upon each individual metabolism, and there will always be outliers.

Edited to add: one does not need all of it to leave one's body to lower tolerance to it. A week might be enough of a break for some heavy smokers. And it depends on how much they want to lower their tolerance.

In theory, it never leaves one's hair, so hair tests are considered more reliable. However, they are also much more expensive, so they are less common. Back to the "in theory" part: some people are able to skew the test result. The ability to do this seems to depend on the coarseness of one's hair, as well as one's race. A fine-haired person of caucasian descent can often pass a hair test after one (or a few) washes with a harsh shampoo. A coarse-haired person may not be able to do so. People of African descent are less likely to be able to remove the chemical markers of drug use from their hair, though to the best of my knowledge no one really knows why. Because of this, there was a small movement years ago to have pre-employment hair testing banned on the grounds it was racially discriminatory. I don't know what became of it though. Also, I don't recall there being any data whatsoever on Asian hair.

(Source: my ex-husband used to hang out with lawyers who lobbied for legalization and often discussed marijuana-related cases and studies in our presence.)

lapushka
April 7th, 2018, 03:38 PM

The speed at which it leaves one's body depends on how often it is used. Someone who smokes weekly or less can expect it to clear out in 24-48 hours if they have a normal metabolism. A once-daily smoker will need a couple weeks, and a heavy smoker (multiple times per day) will likely need 4-6 weeks for a clean urine sample. Again, this will vary from person to person based upon each individual metabolism, and there will always be outliers.

Edited to add: one does not need all of it to leave one's body to lower tolerance to it. A week might be enough of a break for some heavy smokers. And it depends on how much they want to lower their tolerance.

In theory, it never leaves one's hair, so hair tests are considered more reliable. However, they are also much more expensive, so they are less common. Back to the "in theory" part: some people are able to skew the test result. The ability to do this seems to depend on the coarseness of one's hair, as well as one's race. A fine-haired person of caucasian descent can often pass a hair test after one (or a few) washes with a harsh shampoo. A coarse-haired person may not be able to do so. People of African descent are less likely to be able to remove the chemical markers of drug use from their hair, though to the best of my knowledge no one really knows why. Because of this, there was a small movement years ago to have pre-employment hair testing banned on the grounds it was racially discriminatory. I don't know what became of it though. Also, I don't recall there being any data whatsoever on Asian hair.

(Source: my ex-husband used to hang out with lawyers who lobbied for legalization and often discussed marijuana-related cases and studies in our presence.)

That is *very* interesting. It lasts quite a bit in the system then if you are a "regular" (say once daily) smoker. Say you take it for pain reasons. Not that I would ever mix this in with my traditional medications (no-no, I'm not risking it, besides: illegal, for medical reasons I think they do make exceptions though but I think that mostly goes for cancer patients).

Thank you so much, so so much, for answering my question. :D

Wendyp
April 7th, 2018, 03:41 PM

In my legal cases its 90 days for detection for a hair sample. That doesn’t mean a more sensitive test could or could not pick it up, that’s just the tests that most labs use. But like I said before those concerns are disappearing from the radar of concerns. I don’t pass judgment on how people live their lives but dr. Amen the brain doctor indicates long term use substances such as marijuana and alcohol restrict blood flow to the brain to the point brain scan show decreased activity. So in that sense long term use would restrict growth and hair health over time under his theory.

JennGalt
April 7th, 2018, 04:07 PM
In my legal cases its 90 days for detection for a hair sample. That doesn’t mean a more sensitive test could or could not pick it up, that’s just the tests that most labs use. But like I said before those concerns are disappearing from the radar of concerns. I don’t pass judgment on how people live their lives but dr. Amen the brain doctor indicates long term use substances such as marijuana and alcohol restrict blood flow to the brain to the point brain scan show decreased activity. So in that sense long term use would restrict growth and hair health over time under his theory.

For pre-hire hair tests the date range can be much longer than that. I believe a railroad company hiring in my area years ago wanted 5 months of growth to test if possible. But that was years ago.

I suspect the effects on hair growth are highly individualized. I smoke nightly to help me sleep (have had insomnia and other sleep problems since childhood and find it safer and more effective than other means) and have for years. A measurement last week determined my hair is growing over an inch per month (?!?!?!?!). This was after a microtrim, so I don't know exactly how much. I thought the measurement was wrong and measured again, only to get the same result. The progress of a racer that somehow evaded the microtrim seems to confirm this; last month it was TBL stretched and now it's nearly at classic. I'll probably measure again soon since I find this astonishing and hard to believe. But it would seem marijuana use hasn't curtailed my hair growth.

And you are quite welcome, Lapushka :)

lapushka
April 7th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Thank you for understanding, JennGalt!

Just another question. If it is somehow "visible" in the hair strand. How does it physically affect that hair strand? Does it become thicker, more brittle? More moisturized. That's a tough one!

Wendyp
April 7th, 2018, 04:21 PM
For pre-hire hair tests the date range can be much longer than that. I believe a railroad company hiring in my area years ago wanted 5 months of growth to test if possible. But that was years ago.

I suspect the effects on hair growth are highly individualized. I smoke nightly to help me sleep (have had insomnia and other sleep problems since childhood and find it safer and more effective than other means) and have for years. A measurement last week determined my hair is growing over an inch per month (?!?!?!?!). This was after a microtrim, so I don't know exactly how much. I thought the measurement was wrong and measured again, only to get the same result. The progress of a racer that somehow evaded the microtrim seems to confirm this; last month it was TBL stretched and now it's nearly at classic. I'll probably measure again soon since I find this astonishing and hard to believe. But it would seem marijuana use hasn't curtailed my hair growth.

And you are quite welcome, Lapushka :)
I think it’s like everything I’m finding out YMMV. That seems to be the only true constant with hair!

JennGalt
April 7th, 2018, 04:30 PM

Just another question. If it is somehow "visible" in the hair strand. How does it physically affect that hair strand? Does it become thicker, more brittle? More moisturized. That's a tough one!

It isn't at all, that I've noticed, and there have been several times in my life when I simply stopped smoking/vaping/eating any form of cannabis. I notice much more difference in hair that has been heat-styled vs. hair that has grown since I last flatironed. I don't think my husband has had any changes either. Both of us have dry, curly hair (he's 2c/3a), but it would be interesting to see if someone with a different hair texture noticed any change.

I will say that I notice less fairy knots on hair grown when I smoke, but that may be due at least in part to flatironing.

Beckstar
April 7th, 2018, 05:49 PM

That would be proof of whether it's beneficial to hair or not, right? To see if it made the strand thicker, more brittle or physically altered it in anyway. It'd be interesting to see a study that compared a person's hair 1 year prior to and 1 year post smoking.

Blue Mermaid
April 7th, 2018, 10:07 PM

It depends on what your employment is. I never had a drug test for working in a hair salon, food service, or retail. However, when I was hired as an EMT, I had a full panel drug and alcohol screen performed, with a deadline of 48 hours to get it completed from when I was informed it had to be done. The alcohol screen was to look for high levels of the metabolites that would indicate alcoholism.

Additionally, ANY worker's comp/on the job injury, motor vehicle accident/damaged vehicle, etc reports were followed IMMEDIATELY by an instant saliva test. These search for marijuana, amphetamines, opiates, barbiturates and alcohol. They can only detect up to 24 hours, according to the package instructions. A negative test means you can go back to work- an "inconclusive" (They don't call it positive because they aren't legally considered accurate enough) means you have to go in to the local ER and have a blood draw. It blows- I've been injured twice, neither was my fault. Had to sit down and do drug tests both times. I don't use, but it was definitely annoying/inconvenient. It has it's place though- would you want an EMT or Paramedic driving an ambulance with the lights and sirens on if they were using/withdrawing from a substance? shudder:

This is also the case for truck drivers, bus drivers, and many jobs where you must operate machinery. The risk of harm is too great to not be strict about substance use.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2018, 10:39 PM
When I worked in the mines we were tested every day. If found positive the person was removed from the work site, and lost pay until another test was negative.

If this happened three times, the person would lose their job.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 7th, 2018, 11:49 PM

It’s compeltely dependent on the persons metabolism.
Personally I have a high metabolism, so I don’t have difficulty getting it out of my system for a urine test but in genera urine tests aren’t as accurate as hair strand tests.

The science is, thc is stored in body fat. Unfortunately if you have a slower metabolism or more body fat, you have a high chance of needing more time to “clean” your system out. If you’re like me, and you’re naturally pretty thin and eat moderately healthy, you’ll have an easier time passing the test. I realistically only needed 2 weeks and I passed and I am a daily smoker that smokes multiple times a day.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 7th, 2018, 11:53 PM

To answer all your questions: the hair strand test can look back up to about 5 years.
This is the test they typically use in the military. It’s either 2 or 5 years. I can’t remember. But it’s pretty far back.

They are able to detect the THC as it’s stored in body fat and tissue. It doesn’t alter the hair in anyway.
They just are able to detect it. I don’t know the exact science but yeah.

lapushka
April 8th, 2018, 04:18 AM
It depends on what your employment is. I never had a drug test for working in a hair salon, food service, or retail. However, when I was hired as an EMT, I had a full panel drug and alcohol screen performed, with a deadline of 48 hours to get it completed from when I was informed it had to be done. The alcohol screen was to look for high levels of the metabolites that would indicate alcoholism.

Additionally, ANY worker's comp/on the job injury, motor vehicle accident/damaged vehicle, etc reports were followed IMMEDIATELY by an instant saliva test. These search for marijuana, amphetamines, opiates, barbiturates and alcohol. They can only detect up to 24 hours, according to the package instructions. A negative test means you can go back to work- an "inconclusive" (They don't call it positive because they aren't legally considered accurate enough) means you have to go in to the local ER and have a blood draw. It blows- I've been injured twice, neither was my fault. Had to sit down and do drug tests both times. I don't use, but it was definitely annoying/inconvenient. It has it's place though- would you want an EMT or Paramedic driving an ambulance with the lights and sirens on if they were using/withdrawing from a substance? shudder:

This is also the case for truck drivers, bus drivers, and many jobs where you must operate machinery. The risk of harm is too great to not be strict about substance use.

Those are strict rules, but I suppose they're there for a reason. But I mean not even sleeping tablets. That is rough if you have periods of not sleeping or are an insomniac.

When I worked in the mines we were tested every day. If found positive the person was removed from the work site, and lost pay until another test was negative.

If this happened three times, the person would lose their job.

Yeah. It's not as "common" as we may think it is, marijuana. I would certainly feel different if it were somehow legal (first medically because I don't think that's totally "there" yet) and out of the obscurity in my country.

Personally I have a high metabolism, so I don’t have difficulty getting it out of my system for a urine test but in genera urine tests aren’t as accurate as hair strand tests.

The science is, thc is stored in body fat. Unfortunately if you have a slower metabolism or more body fat, you have a high chance of needing more time to “clean” your system out. If you’re like me, and you’re naturally pretty thin and eat moderately healthy, you’ll have an easier time passing the test. I realistically only needed 2 weeks and I passed and I am a daily smoker that smokes multiple times a day.

Yeah, but how do you know, right? It's always a chance and a risk you're taking. And what if you test positive. I would be so afraid!

To answer all your questions: the hair strand test can look back up to about 5 years.
This is the test they typically use in the military. It’s either 2 or 5 years. I can’t remember. But it’s pretty far back.

They are able to detect the THC as it’s stored in body fat and tissue. It doesn’t alter the hair in anyway.
They just are able to detect it. I don’t know the exact science but yeah.

Oh, that's good to know it doesn't alter the strand in any way. I would like to know still how it affects it on a microscopic level, though. I suppose we'd need a scientist to answer that. ;)

nycelle
April 8th, 2018, 08:36 AM
My husband works in finance. When his company hires (it's a German company), they make their employees sign papers that they can drug screen at will. So if someone is suspected of using, they can require them to take a drug test any time after they're hired.

I was also tested once when I was hired for a medical company (to do compliance), and they had the a similar policy to my husbands company.

Considering the opioid problems in the US, I think it's common for companies to test these days.

chomsky
April 8th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Working at the airport, we were routinely swabbed for drugs, one of the perks if you set of an alarm. No urine testing, not where I worked anyway, but body swabs. I'll be going into working with children soon, so I'm expecting there's going to be some testing, perhaps.

I'm fascinated to know more about how those hair tests work too. That sounds so cool! That's my summer reading sorted! :lol:

Back on topic: I don't/won't smoke (post-nasal drop has my throat raw as heck, so any smoking/aerosols/etc. are off-limits for me even if I did want to), but do have several friends that consume in various ways. They've still got lovely hair to me! Aside from general 'ill-treatment' (bleaching/heat and the like), it doesn't seem to have affected them in anyway.

lapushka
April 8th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I'm fascinated to know more about how those hair tests work too. That sounds so cool! That's my summer reading sorted! :lol:

Yes, it's interesting, I find!

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 06:44 AM

I’m glad someone else pointed this out. I’m not thin, but very muscular (roughly 20-22% body fat) and for whatever reason I forgotten about the test before my powerlifting competition. I think I only had a few bites of a cookie maybe three days beforehand. And I passed. Most of my consumption is in eatable form, about 90% of the time, usually 2 times a week or so, on and off. I’m surprised I passed because eating it tends have the liver process it.

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 07:01 AM
It isn't at all, that I've noticed, and there have been several times in my life when I simply stopped smoking/vaping/eating any form of cannabis. I notice much more difference in hair that has been heat-styled vs. hair that has grown since I last flatironed. I don't think my husband has had any changes either. Both of us have dry, curly hair (he's 2c/3a), but it would be interesting to see if someone with a different hair texture noticed any change.

I will say that I notice less fairy knots on hair grown when I smoke, but that may be due at least in part to flatironing.

If it’s of any value, I have 4a hair, and I’ve noticed some “differences” I guess you could say.

Most of anything I do to my hair has to first console with the fact that I’m extremely protein sensitive with my hair. I consume around 190-200 grams of protein either daily or every other day for my sports training, so the hair that grows from my head has become very sensitive to external products containing protein.

Marijuana in general combines with Eumelanin. Present in any hair color range across the globe, but in higher concentrations of folks with hair of darker colors such as mine. I’ve noticed if I’ve been packing down eatables or dropping more often than usual, the new growth that comes out seems more “coated” in its sebum than when I’m not partaking in anything or just having a few low doses here and there. Since the body contains quite a few sebaceous glands including the scalp, and with THC being a compound that readily combines with fatty acids as well. The new growth that comes out doesn’t feel softer, but it feels very lowly porous, and often times when I moisturize that new growth the products just sit directly on top of it.

Im not sure what’s really going on, but I think it just causes a bit more natural sebum to coat my hair as it first starts growing out. My scalp isnt oily, but the individual hairs just seem more coated.

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Working at the airport, we were routinely swabbed for drugs, one of the perks if you set of an alarm. No urine testing, not where I worked anyway, but body swabs. I'll be going into working with children soon, so I'm expecting there's going to be some testing, perhaps.

Back on topic: I don't/won't smoke (post-nasal drop has my throat raw as heck, so any smoking/aerosols/etc. are off-limits for me even if I did want to), but do have several friends that consume in various ways. They've still got lovely hair to me! Aside from general 'ill-treatment' (bleaching/heat and the like), it doesn't seem to have affected them in anyway.

From what I understand, the process is done by Spectrometry. There’s about 5-6 subcategories of spectrometry, the one dealing with hair strand testing is called mass spectrometry. It measures the mass to charge ratio of charges particles. The compound that’s detected is THC-COOH. The two hydrogens and oxygens make this compound rather polar, half negative and positively charged.

The machines used can be programmed to plot a graph or function of the detected ion signals. From there it can just be pieced together and the corresponding elements or isotopic signature of whatever it is they’re testing. In our case, it’s hair, and whatever isotopes/charged ions that have bonded with the hair or are presently attached to it.

That’s why some folks can trick a hair strand test. With that compound being so polar, it’ll readily attach itself to sodium amd chlorine, and it’s rather soluble in water as well. For some folks if they can find an extremely stripping shampoo or detergent it can probably deter a test. Your hairs makeup is unique and a lot of factors come into play, as mentioned above in being able to trick a hair strand test or not, or how many washes you would need and how frequently.

I’m not an expert, just someone who reads a lot for no reason, but that should be how most hair strand test machines are built and how they’re programmed. Correct me if I’m wrong.