PDA

View Full Version : trimming growing out layers?

princess03
June 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
my hair is starting to feel very velcroy at the ends of the layers shorter than the longest one. my longest layer is super healthy because i was trimming monthly up until may to get rid of my layers.

I want the shorter layers to catch up and they havent been trimmed since Nov2010. My hair is starting to feel unhealthy and damaged but it isnt the ends are healthy no splits its the velcro effect of layers I guess but i want to trim them. any advice on self trimming layers?

I really want to reach hip by December haha prob not happening im about 1/2 inch away from waist. my bf of 5 years says he wants to get married soon because he wants to have a baby and both of us want to be married before this... I wont get married till Im at least at hip ;) lol I guess we will still plan our big day for 1 year since I want a small close fam wedding but my bf wants it big, so big it is!

Mariacus9
June 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I am in the same boat...only I won't trust myself with scissors. The best advice I can give is to go to a salon and ask them to take a teeny bit off of the damaged layers. Maybe 1/4 of an inch, and take a little more off of the longest layer, just to balance it out a bit. Thats what I did. It cleaned up the ends without taking too much away from the length your working on. :).

princess03
June 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
thanks Mariacus but I have had too many disasters and they always overcut and do the taper method for the layers to blend when all I want is a blunt straight across cut even if they don't blend , but I've tried too many times at salon and they always ruin it :(

good luck in your trimming and watch your stylist carefully if you end up going to a salon :)

torrilin
June 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Have you tried doing things like acid rinses (diluted vinegar, diluted lemon juice, diluted lime juice, dilute citric acid) in case the ends have hard water build up? Have you clarified lately to make sure it's not other kinds of build up? Have you tried a deep treatment in case it's just that the ends are dry?

princess03
June 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Have you tried doing things like acid rinses (diluted vinegar, diluted lemon juice, diluted lime juice, dilute citric acid) in case the ends have hard water build up? Have you clarified lately to make sure it's not other kinds of build up? Have you tried a deep treatment in case it's just that the ends are dry?

hi thanks torrilin yes I normally do an ACV rinse and I use Joicos Chelating shampoo not often but at least once every 2-3 weeks. I also leave in evoo or cocunut oil. my hair looks healthy and feels healthy except the shorter layer's ends feel like stick together its so annoying :(

sarah061
June 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Ooh, I've never done an AVC rinse before - I didn't realize that would be good for hard water build up. I definitely have hard water. I'm gonna go research that. Thanks for the great tip!

Princess03 - if it were me I would go to the salon and have them trim up that layer. I just wouldn't be able to do that on my own; sounds difficult. But I would definitely try and condition it some more - or try a clarifying wash. It sounds counter-intuitive, but that's revived my hair many times.

monsterna
June 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I don't trim, but when I need to S&D my layers, I take some hair between a couple of fingers and twist it up to almost the scalp. My layers poke out all over, so that could be an easy way for you to trim them?