PDA

View Full Version : Does Argan Oil Penetrate hair.

alxardnax
June 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Hi,

I know that coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil penetrate hair but does argan oil? A couple of websites says it does but they don't have any actual citations to prove it. Does anybody know of a study to prove it?

I love argan oil on my face but I dont want to spend that much to use it on my hair if it wont make much of a difference.

Thanks!

Sanyia
June 5th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I have no idea, but it sure makes my hair softer.

Barbie Diamond
June 5th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have two knowledgeable cosmetologists who told me it does.

pelicano
June 6th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I'd like to know the answer too. One thing I'm sure of is that it's the best oil for my hair that I've tried though (better than coconut and camellia).

Kherome
June 6th, 2011, 07:15 AM
As far as I know, the only oil proven to penetrate the hair shaft is coconut. I've seen no studies proving any other oil can.

Lilli
June 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I don't know but my hair loves it. It doesn't look greasy or sticky, just shiny and soft but not flattened or too soft.

littlenvy
June 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
As far as I know, the only oil proven to penetrate the hair shaft is coconut. I've seen no studies proving any other oil can.
^ This.
Coconut oil is the only one proven to penetrate. The rest of the oils either coat the hair or draw moisture into the hair shaft but don't penetrate the outer layer. At least that's what one of the medical articles said ... somewhere on here.

Chetanlaiho
June 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that olive oil penetrates the hair shaft as well? I think the same post listed how to check that but I can't find it >_<

ange1ito
June 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that olive oil penetrates the hair shaft as well? I think the same post listed how to check that but I can't find it >_<
I saw that too, i wonder if it was one of Ktani's analysis now. All the Argan oils I have seen contain cone's so i would assume they would be coating the hair :(

jojo
June 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Straight chain glycerides are oils that penetrate:

Avocado
Camellia
Castor Oil
Coconut
Olive
Palm Kernel
Sweet Almond

Oils that partially penetrate:

Meadowfoam seed

Polyunsaturated oils sit on top of hair:

Broccoli Seed
Grapeseed
Jojoba
Sesame
Sunflower

http://www.untamedtresses.com/content/108-sorting-out-hair-oil-confusion.html
although not an evidence based source, coconut oil is not the only oil to penetrate, the above is not my work and has been copied and pasted from site.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-Natural-Oils-For-Black-Hair-Care&id=2804587 another site with some information.

Argan oil is also a Straight chain glyceride oil, therefore it has similar properties to coconut oil, therefore suggesting it penetrates the hair shaft.

In2wishin
June 6th, 2011, 11:03 AM
^ This.
Coconut oil is the only one proven to penetrate. The rest of the oils either coat the hair or draw moisture into the hair shaft but don't penetrate the outer layer. At least that's what one of the medical articles said ... somewhere on here.

Here is the most often quoted article but they only compared coconut oil, mineral oil, and sunflower oil http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf

In2wishin
June 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I saw that too, i wonder if it was one of Ktani's analysis now. All the Argan oils I have seen contain cone's so i would assume they would be coating the hair :(

What you are looking at are argan oil hair treatments. The pure argan oil is a light, penetrating oil.

Ribbon
June 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I used Josie Maran's argan oil and really liked it. I don't think it penetrated the hair, but it did do a good job conditioning and I also loved using it on my face (just a couple drops). It was super expensive (although it lasted a while) so last week I decided to buy Organix argan oil shampoo - big mistake. It has none of the benefits of argan oil - lesson learned. Stick with the all natural stuff! Next time I feel reckless enough to splurge at the mall :), I will go to Sephora and pick up another Josie Maran bottle.

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Have no idea... It's amazing though... Love the stuff. My hair sucks it up, and I have to ay its my favorite oil because of it... :D

alxardnax
June 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the helpful answers!

Athena's Owl
June 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Straight chain glycerides are oils that penetrate:

(snip)

Argan oil is also a Straight chain glyceride oil, therefore it has similar properties to coconut oil, therefore suggesting it penetrates the hair shaft.

That was what I was coming here to say, thanks jojo!

Kristamommyx3
June 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I used Josie Maran's argan oil and really liked it. I don't think it penetrated the hair, but it did do a good job conditioning and I also loved using it on my face (just a couple drops). It was super expensive (although it lasted a while) so last week I decided to buy Organix argan oil shampoo - big mistake. It has none of the benefits of argan oil - lesson learned. Stick with the all natural stuff! Next time I feel reckless enough to splurge at the mall :), I will go to Sephora and pick up another Josie Maran bottle.

Huh, go figure, my hair is at it's all- time adult best because of the Organix line...Aryan oil being my new favorite, lol. If I like that, then I'll bet the Josie Maran stuff is even better!

Ribbon
June 7th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Organix wasn't bad for me - just not as good as pure Argan oil! I really like the coconut Organix best - the Argan one for me was just ok. It seemed to dry out my ends - which is weird since pure Argan oil certainly has the opposite effect - maybe it was because of the alcohol? I really don't know. Anyhow, if you like Organix argan oil, I think the pure stuff would be awesome for you!

palaeoqueen
August 2nd, 2012, 11:08 AM
I'm glad to find this thread! I'm having a lot of trouble with my dry ends and was thinking of trying the Argan oil I just bought. Hopefully it will help me avoid a big chop.

earthnut
August 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
I wrote a post about the penetration of oils. Click the "oils" link in my siggy.

Here's the only study I know of that looks at argan oil on hair, but it is only a review, not an actual study: Monfalouti HE, Guillaume D, Denhez C, Charrouf Z. "Therapeutic potential of argan oil: a review." J Pharm Pharmacol. 2010 Dec;62(12):1669-75

palaeoqueen
August 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info!

ravenreed
August 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Argan oil is the only oil I have used that doesn't leave my hair oily; it gets completely absorbed. It is terribly expensive, so of course my hair loves it more than any other oil. I am fairly certain that Ktani listed Argan oil as one of the two oils that help prevent peroxide damage when bleaching hair, the other being coconut oil.

pepperminttea
August 2nd, 2012, 02:27 PM
I wrote a post about the penetration of oils. Click the "oils" link in my siggy.

Thanks, that's invaluable; I've bookmarked it! :)

Silken
August 2nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
My hair hates and rejects argan oil: It gets goopy and greasy, attracts dirt and feels awful, with this stuff on. But it loves coconut oil: smooth, silky, soft, light and not weighed down, shiny.
So I keep the argan oil for my face, and that works wonders.

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I found this thread interesting I use argan oil and love it.