PDA

View Full Version : What percentage of your hair ends in splits?

C.H.
June 5th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I often wonder about this while S&Ding. What percentage of all your 100,000+ hairs would you estimate have split ends?

Coan-Teen
June 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM
On me right now? I can never find splits. I would say zero but I'm sure there are probably a couple I can't see, plus there's a margin of error in anything human, so I'm saying under 1%.

Mairéad
June 5th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Same here. I never find split ends in my hair but I know they have to be in there somewhere because no one's hair is free of damage.

Even when I colored like crazy, heat styled, washed 2x a day, ect I could never find an abundance of split ends. My hairdresser always described my hair as "indestructible." Which makes me crazy excited to see what my future long hair will like this time around now that I treat it so well!

Irish Fae
June 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM
A year ago I would have said less than 5%, but right now I'm sure it is about 10%, or at least it seems that way. Luckily they are mostly small splits and I am finally starting to grow the damage out.

Aleria
June 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Very little. I haven't found one, despite my hair having been bleached, special effects dyed for three months, and then permanent dyed with chemical dyes. *shrug*

C.H.
June 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm amazed at those of you who can't find a single-one. I thought everybody would come across at least a few. My hair type is such that I'm certain I would always have some, no matter how much I babied and protected it.

Mesmerise
June 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
It's hard to say... I have to hunt for split ends (although occasionally when my hair is loose I will spot one). I would say probably about 1%... cause that would be 1 for each 100 hairs, and I'm sure if I looked at 100 hairs I could find a split end! (And out of 100,000 hairs that's still at least 1000 splits throughout my head!).

Rivanariko
June 5th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I am insanely jealous of everyone else who has posted in this thread. I'm just going to say A LOT, because my actual estimate of at least 40-60% makes me sad. And yes, I trim and S&D regularly, my hair is just very... splitty.

GRU
June 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Prior to LHC, I would have said easily 20%. After a year and a half of hair-friendly treatment (detangling only when coated in conditioner / or with a Tangle Teezer, no shampoo, no brushing (other than Tangle Teezer), etc.), I'd say well under 1%. I find a gazillion more fairy knots than splits these days.

katsrevenge
June 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM
A few, but not that bad. My damage tends to be a rougher feel to the hair higher up instead of a split ends.

I also trim as needed to be sure to get the rough ends off.

gthlvrmx
June 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM
maybe...20%? I'm really not sure! Less maybe, my regular hairs are actually quite healthy, my lighter colored hairs(which are finer too) are much more prone to split, the usual hairs that i find split.

C.H.
June 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Prior to LHC, I would have said easily 20%. After a year and a half of hair-friendly treatment (detangling only when coated in conditioner / or with a Tangle Teezer, no shampoo, no brushing (other than Tangle Teezer), etc.), I'd say well under 1%. I find a gazillion more fairy knots than splits these days.

I'm thinking I may have to try a tangle teaser. I can work with a wide-tooth comb. But when you have very curly hair, sometimes you need something a little more...effective.

missmagoo
June 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I find a lot in my underlayers. I'd estimate 20-30%.

GRU
June 5th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm thinking I may have to try a tangle teaser. I can work with a wide-tooth comb. But when you have very curly hair, sometimes you need something a little more...effective.

Have you read the Tangle Teezer threads? I'd say that 95+% of the people who buy one say, "OMG, where has this been all my life!"

I only brush if I'm going to braid/bun/oil, choosing instead to detangle in the shower while CO-washing, but I won't reach for ANYTHING but a Tangle Teezer when my hair is dry and in need of detangling. Nothing else is even in the same league!

C.H.
June 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I've seen some very positive posts regarding the Tangle Teaser, but hadn't searched specifically on the topic, yet. Just one of many methods and tools I intend to look into.

Sunshineliz
June 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Right now I can't find any. But that might be because of the huge chop I did a few months back. I haven't trimmed or S&D (partly because I couldn't see any when I searched) since then. I'm trying to be a lot nicer to my hair now though.

When my hair was long and I did things like comb it with a fine-tooth comb when wet, rip a nylon brush through my hair several times a day, and forget to wash out pool water....probably around 25%.

It's funny, but before I found LHC I'd never met anyone else who S&D--I did it when I was a teen and everyone thought I was obsessive.:shrug:

C.H.
June 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
It's funny, but before I found LHC I'd never met anyone else who S&D--I did it when I was a teen and everyone thought I was obsessive.:shrug:

Me, too! I thought I was the lone weirdo, I mean who would bother with individual hairs when you have 100k or more of them--how much of a difference could you possibly make??

But then I found TLHC and not only am I not the only person who does it, but there's even a name for it.

Quezie
June 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I rarely find the typical kind of splits, when I do see them it's usually when I can do nothing about it. ):
I did however find my first "multiple split" split!
I think I have quite a few tapers, and some right angle splits.

Regan
June 5th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I honestly can't guesstimate a percentage, but unfortunately it's quite a bit. maybe 25%? :(

i really, really, really need to buy a tangle teezer. if not for my hair, then for the simple reason that it is purple and sparkly.

ladylovecraft
June 5th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Honestly, none. I search for them under a brutal, sun-like light on my vanity, and in the actual sunlight and never find any. In fact I never did, even when I was regularly bleaching my hair. Some may be hiding away somewhere though, so I'll say <1%.

... And for the record I do know what a split looks like, I regularly find them on my mother and my boyfriend's hair.

Aliped
June 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM
None. I've looked and looked, so I'm prety confident that I have zero.

elbow chic
June 5th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe two percent? I never see splitty-splits, but do occasionally find a right-angle or one with a series of dots, if that makes sense.

jaine
June 5th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I've seen some splits at shoulder length in the past, but I can't find any recently...

I did see 2 damaged shed hairs though - both of them had a 1mm squashed area in the middle - it probably got caught in a metal snap clip or my glasses.

Syaoransbear
June 5th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Probably about 30&#37;.

Lollipop
June 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I would say <1%. In my life, I have found 1 split end. I felt my world shatter a bit :shocked:. That was in the olden days of daily sulfate washings, no conditioner, ripping through wet hair with a comb, and really not caring for my BSL hair aside from daily bunning. I am really excited about longer lengths :D.

Nicolioli
June 5th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Probably 25-30%. I'm growing out extensive dying and straightening, and I'm always S&Ding to help it.

teela1978
June 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Less than 1&#37;... Once in a while I'll notice one but only when I don't have anything to cut it off with. As soon as I break out scissors I can't find any.

Kathie
June 6th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I usually find 2-4 splits or kinks when I SD. I'm sure there are much more hidden but less than 1% for sure. The last time I had a cut was only three or so months ago- daily oilings and keeping my hair up is working well.

alwayssmiling
June 6th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Well about 10 days ago I would have said I am struggling to find a single split in my S&D sessions, but I went on a long journey in the car where the sun was pouring in, only to find a gazillion splits and dots. My heart sank because I thought my hair was in good shape. I guess I need to be outside in good light to spot them. :(

KittyLost
June 6th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Maybe about 5-10%. They're at the ends of my top layers from bleach damage. I've immediately noticed a significantly less amount since stopping heat styling last year. Otherwise the majority of my hair was split.

Wavelin
June 6th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I have no splits, I have found maybe two in my whole life. I've got some "kinky", "velcro" ends though, in about 5 or 10 % of the hair. I think it's heat, and chemical damage that has made them.

luthein
June 6th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I'll find about 3 or 4 hairs with white dots per session, and maybe 6 splits. Most of the damage is in the lowest 2" of hair. I'll S&D thee times a year, roughly. I'm sure I didn't catch them all, so I'd say I'm around 3% splits.

eternallyverdan
June 6th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I have tons of splits, but my hair feels healthy and looks fine, so I don't spend too much time worrying about it. I think if I tried to S&D all the little buggers I'd end up with a fairytale hemline, because my hair has got to be at least 30% split, probably closer to 50%. I've managed to make it all the way to knee length, and I get enough hair compliments from random people that I don't worry about it being absolutely hideous.

So, for those of you who are obsessing about having too many split ends, stop it! Trim them if it makes your hair feel healthier or look better, but chances are excellent that you're the only one who notices them.

LunaMoon
June 6th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I have just few splits and some white dots (let's say 2%).
My hair has a rougher feel on the ends... Oiling twice a week (shea butter + coconut oil) helps a lot to keep my ends "ok" (at least looking good).

Ginny Mae
June 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I'm jealous that so many members have so few splits! For me it's at least 25-30&#37;. I do have old bleach damage right at the bottom of my hair but I've always suffered from splitting, even back when I was a pre-teen and I never touched my hair with dye/heat styling. I think I actually did manage to give myself quite uneven, fairytalish ends when I first started to S&D, I found so many! I think once my hair gets longer I'm going to have to chill out and leave them to their own devices a bit more because I much prefer a blunt hemline.

beccababesx
June 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM
When I joined LHC, probably 60%. Yep, it was pretty bad haha! Now, around 5% I think. Hopefully I can get it down to under 1% :)

shakba
June 6th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I had a bad hairdressing experience around 3 months ago, that left me with about 50&#37; of my hairs split, and the splits go a few cm's up the hair. will need a trim soon to get rid of it :(

Silverdragn7385
June 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure...1-5%? I always find splits during every S&D session, but not many. It's probably because I still use heat (although I use it on the whole length maybe once a week), but my hair still looks pretty good...so I'm not going to be giving it up any time soon. :P

xoxophelia
June 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Most of my hair doesn't split easily which is my only saving grace. I do find them on a semiregular basis now though towards the front where my hair is more fragile and also very rarely trimmed (growing out layers and the bangs were the shortest). I would guess around 1&#37; as others have said but it is probably more around the order of 1 per 500 since most of my hair doesn't split easily.

That being said, this question isn't totally "fair" since there are other factors to consider. For example, most of my hair may not show visible splits even under a little magnification BUT it will turn into velcro ends which may be more damaged than another person's split end. Before my latest 3" trim consider that while I had no visible splits in most of that hair, it was about 3" of damaged beyond return hair. On the other hand, a person who often gets splits may only have an unravelled end and the rest of the hair may be glossy to nearly the ends.

Also, some people find fewer splits because their hair is more prone to breaking off. Moral of the story.. (lol).. splits alone shouldn't make you feel your hair is more damaged than others. My ends are a bit better due to trimming now but they are definitely still somewhat damaged from pre-LHC.

Anje
June 6th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hard to say.... Maybe 5&#37;? I try to S&D enough to keep it under 10%. A confounding factor is that almost none of that hairs at the hemline are ever split; if there are splits, they're in the length that's slowly progressing toward the hemline without ever meeting scissors. So to even find them, you have to really search the length.

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Just had a very big cut, just for my damaged ends... I took about 7-9 inches off... I know my hair is still pretty drizzy and frizzy at the ends, but I'd say less than 2% of the splits are left. :)

CrystalStar
June 6th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Probably around 5%..

I have the same thing as Anje where it seems to be the shroter hairs that are split! Look at the ends and they are good, but the length itself has some mixed in.

C.H.
June 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
For example, most of my hair may not show visible splits even under a little magnification BUT it will turn into velcro ends which may be more damaged than another person's split end.

I agree, there are lots of different types of damage. What exactly are velcro ends?

ange1ito
June 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I get alot of white dots at the front of the temples due to permanent hair dye damage, but the back seems hardly any. my hairdresser thinks I may be playing with the front layers more when styling. I figure about 25%.

jeanniet
June 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Maybe 5%? It's hard to say, because most of the splits/damaged areas are towards the back of my head. At the front and sides, there's really no splits at all. I have less splits now than I did when my hair was shorter but I didn't take very good care of it.

haibane
June 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM
When I found LHC I think 90% of my hair below BSL was split, seriously. With a boatload of S&D and a better routine it's down below maybe 3% now? I hardly ever find splits when I go to S&D anymore but I don't want to jinx it lol.

It's seriously a length thing for me though. I have zero splits around shoulder-APL. Actually a lot of the hairs around that length still have their original new growth taper ends, never cut, never broken. But below BSL it requires some serious pampering to not split like crazy.

Toffee20
June 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I guess around 2 or 3 &#37; .. It's difficult to tell though, as the more closely I look at my hair when S&Ding the more I see, and I think it varies which bits of my hair I'm looking at... Interesting thread though!! =)

Fethenwen
June 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Probably around 5%..

I have the same thing as Anje where it seems to be the shroter hairs that are split! Look at the ends and they are good, but the length itself has some mixed in.
My hair is the same too. My shorter layers are the ones that might have some splits while the rest of my hair and the very ends are fine.

lacefrost
June 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thank you so much for this thread! I've been really stressing about my splits. I would say I have about 10&#37; splits. Out of 100 hairs, I do find like 10 that are split or are knotted, or going to break. Mostly I feel a roughness in the last 2inches or so of my hair. I'm not sure if that's from damage or because my hair is naturally coarse & curly and the strands are at different lengths.

I remember when I used to comb my hair and the floor was littered with broken pieces of hair. I didn't think anything of it so I don't know how much of my hair was split back then.

xoxophelia
June 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I agree, there are lots of different types of damage. What exactly are velcro ends?

To me velcro ends mean when my hair would "tangle" on itself without even a gust of wind. The hair would start to stick together like velcro. Eventually no amount of clarifying or moisture treatments helped it.

Firefly
June 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Not many, I'm happy to say! If I had to guess I'd say 2%-ish.

Eva_M
June 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Good thread, I just was wondering this some days ago!

I'd say I have about the 10%, which I find that is quite a lot compared to some people here...! Most those splits are the ends of my top layers, the ones that I trim less often and therefore the most damaged... but I just don't want to trim them until they reach waist!! Only S&D for now! ^___^

Sunshineliz
June 6th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I changed my mind after sitting outside under a tree and looking at my hair. I can't estimate a percentage, but I could definitely see some. They are in the length, not the ends that benefit from the chop and trim. I'm guessing they are either old damage from broken hair or the new growth that was damaged and hasn't caught up to the ends.

Guess I still need to S&D sometimes!

Messyhair
June 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
0%! I regularly check out my ends but I've only found 2 splits in the last 2 years. My hair doesn't split very easily and doesn't tangle, either. Unless I use the wrong products to wash and condition!

constantki
June 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking 30-40% :(

Red_Wednesday
June 6th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I rarely find any since I've been cowashing and sealing.

ksanka02
June 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
20&#37; hope with regular henna use my split ends will improve

C.H.
June 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I changed my mind after sitting outside under a tree and looking at my hair. I can't estimate a percentage, but I could definitely see some. They are in the length, not the ends that benefit from the chop and trim. I'm guessing they are either old damage from broken hair or the new growth that was damaged and hasn't caught up to the ends.

Guess I still need to S&D sometimes!

My hair is the same way. It's really made me appreciate the need to S&D, as regular trimming your hem does nothing for splits throughout the length. I no longer pay much attention to the bottom, which will get trimmed soon enough anyway and instead try to focus on finding those shorter hairs. Especially the hair around my front hairline. That hair never makes it to my hemline and therefore never gets trimmed.

C.H.
June 7th, 2011, 11:01 PM
20% hope with regular henna use my split ends will improve

How would henna improve your split ends?

Ermine
June 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Probably about 3&#37;. I've only S&D'd a couple times since I got my pixie cut (2.5 months) and it was only several hairs every time. But I'm sure there's more I can't see. It's bound to happen with my fine hair I guess.

Lux88
June 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I have a TON of splits.. I can't even guess what percentage it'd be.. just.. a whole lot of them. lol