PDA

View Full Version : Hard water

apynip
June 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I've looked up in the search for info on hard water and was wondering things that could help with it ( Besides getting a water filter)

I've recently found out that We have hard water because I was complaining to my parents that when I'm at school my skin is fantastic and blemish free but when I come home I break out like crazy! And my hair just doesn't feel clean.
So my dad said we have hard water and It clicked instantly that that was my problem.

I typically use herbal essence shampoo and recently switched to Garnier the pure stuff and its been working alright but still not getting the luscious hair I get back at school.

Besides getting a filter what can I do so my hair doesn't feel like slime? And my henna fades faster here than at school too... so I'd like any tips that I can for me and others.

Thanks for any info.

Mairéad
June 5th, 2011, 05:10 PM
You can do ACV rinses to your hair and filters for the shower head are a must for me when I do to school where my water is hard.

wendyg
June 5th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Really, a shower filter is the best option. If you can't do that, my suggestion would be a jug water filter and a final rinse using filtered water. If you pour it into a half-gallon milk jug, you can warm it in the microwave.

wg

apynip
June 5th, 2011, 05:24 PM
the filter is out of the question because I will only be at my parents for another month and a half and where I am moving to they have soft water.

Thanks for the tip about the ACV

allnaturalboy
June 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Are you using the same amount of shampoo you use with soft water? With hard water, you have to use more of everything. Soft water, a lot less. If you're still having trouble you could try a chelating shampoo. Others have already mentioned it, but ACV rinses are excellent too.

Ann Marie
June 10th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Ion shampoo for hard water @ Sally's.....
I use this every week for maintenance....wait 8 days after a henna treatment.....Hair is silky and full of body afterwards....

I do a deep oil treatment...sleep in a braid with oil...then remove with the shampoo...that way the shampoo does not dry too much...I just use regular cheap VO5 afterwards and my hair is like silk...:D

Hard water makes my hair dry and crunchy...:(

jeanniet
June 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Read the miracle water thread here: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=51184. I have well water, so I don't use ascorbic acid, but I use citric acid rinses (1/4 t. to a gallon of water). It's saved my hair. I don't need to clarify nearly as often as I did, and in fact right now I'm seeing if I can transition to WO (water only) washes. There's no way I could have done that before. Citric acid is cheap and should be fairly easy to find. ACV rinses help, too, but my kids complained too much about the smell. :D

littlenvy
June 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
When I run out of distilled water I just double boil mine (boil first time, wait until it cools and boil again) wait until its cool enough to wash your hair with and off you go. The hard mineral deposits usually will sit at the bottom of the water kettle. ACV rinse or sometime Club Soda rinse to follow.