View Full Version : Measure!?

MonaLisa
June 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Well I've gone one step further in my hair obsession today, and I measured it!
Wrote down date and result, and already being impatient for the next measure! :o
Then I also measured my goal length (TBL) and figured it's 10cm away, and then possible goal ( DBF's goal actually) classic, which is 15cm further down.

It's made me think about something. I noticed people here measure in inches, and that's unusual for me, because here where i live we use centimeters, so i converted and all, but the point is if i'm to measure monthly ( plan every 2 weeks actually :o) it's much easier and more encouraging? to track progress in centimeters rather than inches.
You know 10, 9, 8, 7...... rather than just 4 inches or so :) will take some time being measured within same ' inch' :)
Hope you get what I mean...
1 cm is not too hard to grow and positive thoughts are good!
centimeters also sound longer to me ( bigger number).

Knittycat
June 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'm going to have to start measuring in cm too! Much more encouraging than inches :D

kyandii
June 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I do both. I like the smaller markings on the CM side of my tape measure, but I find at a glance inches are much easier to use.

Carolyn
June 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Cm's look good on the back of the tape measure but they don't compute in my mind. I know what 36" is in my mind. Whatever the equivalent cm measure is, it's totally meaningless to me. I know I can use an on line converter and I can get out my tape measure any time I want to find out. But cms to inches is never going to stick in my brain. This girl will never be measuring in centimeters.

MonaLisa
June 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Yes I understand you. It's same for me when I tried inches, already forgot my inch result :)
It's all about habbits, learning and tradition.
But still, if i was adjusted to both same way, I'd choose cms for measuring hair length :)
perhaps inches for my hips :D

By the way guys, how often do you measure? :)

Mesmerise
June 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Well we use cm here in Australia... but for some reason many people still describe people's height and stuff in feet and inches... so it's not that weird for me to measure my hair in inches, even though when I describe trimming my hair I will ususually use cm (although sometimes I will use inches lol...it depends on the length of the hair). I guess I mean... I know what an inch is and what half an inch is (cause an inch is 2.54cm, so 1/2" is about 1.4cm) but when people start talking in 1/4" and 1/8" well... I find it easier to just say 2mm. If that makes sense lol.

So anyway, for hair measurement I go with inches, because most people's hair here is in inches and it's easier to compare with inches than cm. I mean if someone says their waist is at 31" I am in a better position to compare that to my waist if I measure mine in inches too. It sort of helps understand other people's length better, and why someone may have BSL hair that looks longer than my almost-waist hair, while someone else may have waist length hair that doesn't look as long to me.

Mrspuddinhead
June 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM
To answer your question I measure on the 9th of every month, in inches. I then take a picture of it dry, wet, and with waves.